COLUMBIA COUNTY, PA BIOGRAPHIES

FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP

From "The History of Columbia and Mountour Counties"
Battle, 1887


 
Christian L. ARTLEY, farmer, P. O. Pensyl, was born in Catawissa, this county, February 8, 1828, a son of Henry and Peggy (LOREMAN) ARTLEY, natives respectively of Columbia and Berks Counties, Penn., and of German descent. His great-grandfather came from Germany and settled in Windsor, Bucks Co., Penn., where he resided until his death. His grandfather, Christian ARTLEY, was born in Bucks County and was a millwright, which trade he followed during his early life. He moved from Bucks County to Snyder County and thence to Columbia County, about 1780; settled in what is now Franklin Township, on the present site of Pensyl's mill; owned some 400 acres of land and operated a saw-mill. He died in 1847, and is buried in the Lutheran Cemetery at Catawissa, as is also his wife. Our subject's maternal grandfather, --- LOREMAN, was born in Germany, and immigrated to Berks County, Penn., but later moved to Northumberland County, and resided in Shamokin Township, where he followed farming. Henry ARTLEY was reared in Catawissa Township, and learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed most of his life. He died in 1873, his widow, February 12, 1880, and both are buried in Catawissa Cemetery. Both were members of the Presbyterian Church, and were born in 1796 and 1806, respectively. Our subject was reared to the carpenter's trade, which he learned under his father. At the age of twenty-two he started out for himself, and employed twelve men. In 1860 he bought the farm where Ranslow GEORGE now resides, consisting of ninety-seven acres (no buildings), for which he paid &1,200, and after erecting good buildings on the place sold it for $2,400. In 1862 he bought a lot of thirty-two acres, where he now resides, and erected all the improvements, which are first-class. He has owned several farms, but sold or traded them off again, and now owns sixty-four acres of good land. He followed his trade until 1874, when he turned his attention mostly to farming. In 1862, while erecting a house, he was drafted, but procured a substitute for which he paid $600. He was married January 22, 1856, to Harriet, daughter of Samuel and Maria (MARSH) RAUP. Mr. and Mrs. ARTLEY are the parents of seven children, five of whom survive: Alfred, David, Ellis, Clara and Alice; the deceased are Sarah and Lizzie. Mr. and Mrs. ARTLEY are members of the Presbyterian and Lutheran Churches, respectively; he is a member of the Fire Insurance Company.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg 458)

Francis E. ELY, farmer, P. O. Pensyl, was born in Mayberry Township, Montour County, this State, March 2, 1854, a son of James and Lydia E. (HULL) ELY, natives of Pennsylvania and of English descent, former of whom was born in 1821, died in 1855. His parental grandfather was a native of Pennsylvania, his maternal grandfather was a great hunter. James ELY was a farmer in Montour County; owned a tract of land where he resided until his death His mother is yet living on the old homestead in Montour County. Subject was reared on a farm and remained at home until nineteen years of age, when he married; he farmed the homestead until 1881, when he bought 162 acres where he now resides. He married in December, 1874, Margaret A. WOODRUFF, a native of Northumberland county, daughter of Isaac and Mary (REEDER) WOODRUFF, who were the parents of nine children, seven of whom are living: Joseph, Jacob, Hiram, Elias, Sarah, Elizabeth and Margaret A., wife of F. E. ELY. Mr. and Mrs. ELY are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. ELY is the present school director of his township, and served as tax collector one term. He is the Sunday-school superintendent of the Methodist Sunday-school; is one of the enterprising young men of his vicinity; takes a great interest in educational matters; is a Republican in politics. Two of the sons of James and Lydia E. ELY, William and Wesley, participated in the civil war; the former died of consumption, and was brought home from the service by his father. Wesley and Francis E., are the only survivors of the ELY family.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg 459)

W. G. FISHER, farmer, P. O. Catawissa, was born in Rush Township, Northumberland Co., this State, may 6, 1834, a son of Jacob and Elizabeth (SCHEFFLER) FISHER, natives of Pennsylvania and of German-English descent. His father located near Bear Gap, Columbia County; worked on a farm most of his life and died in Rush Township, Northumberland County, in 1842. Our subject was only eight years of age at the time of his father's death. He remained with his mother about one year, and then lived with his brother Joseph six years on the same place. He then worked four years for Jesse MENCH on the same farm on which he was born; later for Jacob SHULTZ in Mayberry Township, Montour County, with whom he remained three years. He then moved to Danville on the BOYD farm east of the mill, and remained three years. In 1859 he bought a farm belonging to his father-in-law near Franklin Township, Columbia County, and lived there six years, when he sold out and moved to Danville, where he dealt in coal. He then resided two years on BOYER's big farm, and in 1867 moved to where he now lives and bought 143 acres of good land. He has made nearly all the improvements on the farm and has one of the best places in the township. He was married December 20, 1855, to Sarah A. SWAYZE, who has borne him two children: Charles J. and Lizzie C., the former of whom is a graduate of the Bloomsburg Normal School; has taught five years and is now the principal teacher of the Catawissa graded school, having been elected June 21, 1886. Mr. and Mrs. FISHER are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He has been school director, supervisor and overseer of the poor.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg 459)

Jonathan H. FORTNER, retired farmer, was born in Maine Township, Columbia Co., Penn., March 4, 1813, a son of John and Sarah (BROOKE) FORTNER, natives of this State and of English descent. His grandfather came to this county from Sussex County, N. J., and located near Mifflin, where he lived until his death. He was a raftsman on the Delaware River. Our subject's great grandmother was a daughter of Lord Archibald Douglas, of Scotland, who had one son and one daughter; the son was drowned and the daughter left Scotland at sixteen years of age. She went out on a pleasure trip and was captured by Algerine pirates and sold on board a vessel to a man named CLARK, who took her to Philadelphia. There she became acquainted with Mr. FORTNER and they were married, and settled in New Jersey; lived there until their death. Our subject's father was reared to agriculture, which he always followed, and owned 133 acres at the time of his death, January 23, 1848. Our subject was reared on a farm and remained at home until his father's death. The farm was willed to our subject by his mother, and he has been living on it for nearly three-quarters of a century, or seventy-three years. Mr. FORTNER is now one of the oldest men living in this township. He owns two farms aggregating 267 acres. He was married May 4, 1848, to Mary A. CAMPBELL, by whom he had two children, Dabney and Alfretta. Mrs. FORTNER is a member of the Baptist Church. Mr. FORTNER is a Methodist.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg 459)

James HILE, farmer, P. O. Catawissa, was born in rush Township, Northumberland Co., Penn., November 30, 1810, a son of Henry and Mary A. (JOHNSON) HILE, natives of Sussex County, N. J. His grandfather, Henry, came from New Jersey and settled in Rush Township, Northumberland County, where he bought a large tract of land, which he cleared and where he remained, engaged in farming. He and a man named BEATY bought 400 acres of land and had to carry the money to make payments all the way to Philadelphia, as there were no mails, railroads or canals. Henry HILE was a farmer and lived in Northumberland County until he became old, when he moved to Clearfield County, Penn., where he bought 500 acres of land, and there lived until his death, which occurred April 8, 1853; his widow died in Missouri February 2, 1872. Our subject was reared on a farm, and when twenty-six years of age married and located near Sunbury, where he remained one year. He then moved to one of his father's farms, where he lived eleven years; thence to Clearfield County and bought 110 acres of land, where he remained until 1866, when he came to where he now resides and bought 222 acres. March 20, 1834, he married Hannah CAMPBELL, who bore him twelve children, eight of whom are living: Minner; Henry; Amos; John; Elizabeth, wife of James C. BLOOM, residing in Clearfield County; Mary A., wife of William TEPLE, in Franklin Township, Columbia County; Joanna, wife of Obadiah YOCUM, in Locust Township, Columbia County; and Eliza J., wife of James P. LOUIS, residing in Wilkesbarre. Mrs. HILE died in 1873. While living in Clearfield County Mr. HILE held a number of township offices. In politics he is neutral.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg 459

John C. HILE, farmer, P. O. Pensyl, was born in Clifton County, Penn., October 11, 1847, a son of James and Hannah (CAMPBELL) HILE, natives of Pennsylvania and of German descent. His father, who has always followed farming, resides in this township. Our subject was nineteen years of age when his parents came to this county, and he remained with them until he was twenty-two years of age. He then married and moved to Mayberry Township, Montour Co., Penn., where he remained one year, and in 1867 came to where he now lives. He owns 138 acres of land, well improved. January 28, 1868, he married Mary C., daughter of Valentine and Maria VOUGHT. They are the parents of eleven children: Charles W., Harriet E., Cora J., James V., Bertha M., Jeremiah M., Mary E., Ulam H., Katie V., Rebecca E. and Ambrose S. Mr. HILE is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, his wife of the Lutheran, and the three eldest children of the Methodist Episcopal. He has been a member of the T. of H., but it being too inconvenient for him to attend the lodge, has given it up. He has held the office of school director and several township offices.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg 460)

Moses HOWER, retired farmer, P. O. Catawissa, was born in Mifflin Township, Columbia Co., Penn., March 8, 1820, a son of Daniel and Catherine (KOSTENBANDER) HOWER, natives of Pennsylvania and of German descent. His ancestors on both sides came from Germany. His grandfather settled in what is now Franklin Township, on the farm adjoining that of Moses HOWER, where he lived until his death. Our subject's father was reared a blacksmith, and settled in Mifflin Township, where he traded for some time, and finally traded for 212 acres of land in this township, moved on it and lived there until his death in 1871. He was the father of five children, three living: Moses, Daniel and Hiram Y. His father served in the Revolutionary war, holding a commission in the service. Our subject was reared on a farm, and remained with his parents until twenty-six years of age, when he married and remained with is parents about two years. In 1850 he moved to where he now lives and bought forty-seven acres of land, but has since added to it until he now has 100 acres. In 1846 he married Elizabeth STOCKER. They are the parents of six children (five of whom are living): William E., Mary J., Sarah C., Hannah E., Maria E. (deceased) and Moses S. His wife died about 1858, and he next married Hannah YETTER, who died a few years after marriage. His present wife is Elizabeth BITTNER, by whom he has three children: Laura A., Clark B. and Nimon W. Mr. and Mrs. HOWER are members of the Lutheran Church. Mr. HOWER has held the offices of school director, overseer of the poor, collector of county taxes, and has resided here nearly half a century. He owns 100 acres in the home tract and a stone quarry, which affords good building stone. He owns altogether over 300 acres and some lots in Riverside, also two lots in Catawissa. Some years ago, he, with three others, bought 3,000 acres of land in Lycoming County, but has since sold it. Mr. HOWER has been one of the largest landholders in the county. During the war he followed the butchering business.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg 460)

Sylvester HOWER, carpenter, P. O. Pensyl, was born in Columbia County, Penn., February 6, 1841, a son of Daniel and Elizabeth (HENDERSHOT) HOWER, former of whom was born in Columbia County, Penn., of German descent. Our subject's grand father settled near Mifflin, Penn., where he followed his trade, that of a blacksmith, carrying on farming also. He moved to this township, where he died in 1866. Our subject's father is a shoemaker, but carries on farming in this township. He was the father of nine children, eight of whom are living: Sylvester; Catherine, wife of Elijah FIELDS, residing in Danville, Penn.' Lloyd W.; Isaiah J.; Hannah M.; Joshua M.; Sarah E. and Kersey C.; Elmira A. was killed at the battle of Petersburg on the first charge in front of Richmond. Our subject was reared on a farm and remained at home until eighteen years of age, when he began the carpenter's trade and served an apprenticeship of three years. In the spring of 1861 he enlisted in Company A, Sixth Regiment Pennsylvania Reserves. The company was raised and taken to Harrisburg for the purpose of being placed in the three months' service, but on arrival at that place it was discovered that the field was full of men enlisted for that period, so the whole regiment enlisted for three years, July 27, 1861. From Harrisburg they were taken to Greencastle, where they were kept about two weeks. They were taken to Washington; thence to Maryland, and December 20, 1861, fought their first battle at Dranesville. Mr. HOWER also participated in the engagements of the regiment at Bull Run, South Mountain, Antietam, Fredericksburg and Gettysburg. He was wounded at the battle of Fredericksburg, December 13, 1862, by a gunshot in the right hip, and was disabled for about three months. After the battle of Gettysburg he participated in the battles of Mine Run, Va., through the Wilderness to Cold Harbor, marching day and night and engaging in several battles. During the battle of Bull Run he had nothing to eat for three days and three nights. He was discharged June 11, 1864, and shortly afterward was employed by the Government building bridges for Sherman's army. In 1865 he bought the farm where he now lives, which was a dense forest, but having a willing mind and strong arms, set about clearing it off, and now has a good farm, having made all the improvements himself. In the spring of 1878 he moved to Seward City, Neb., where he remained two years, working at his trade. He married, July 4, 1865, Harriet YEAGER, and they are the parents of five children: Henry C., Anna C., Mazey E., Daniel Y. and James Garfield. Mrs. HOWER is a member of the Lutheran Church.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg 461)

John H. HOWER, farmer, P. O. Catawissa, was born in Girardville, Schuylkill Co., Penn., November 1, 1853, a son of John and Lucetta (GABLE) HOWER, natives of Pennsylvania, and of German descent. His grandfather was born in Columbia county, Penn.; was a carpenter by trade, and lived where Jeremiah KOSTENBANDER now resides. Our subject's father was born inthis county, and was brought up a farmer, but kept a hotel in Girardville for about twenty years, and was also engaged in the lumber business. He carried on both occupations up to the time of his death in December, 1883. He was the father of twelve children eleven of whom are living: Harriet, wife of T. P. CHURNINGTON; Sarah, wife of Theodore MYERS, residing in Michigan; Mary, wife of J. M. GLICK, residing in Girardville; Emma, wife of G. W. BARNHARDT, residing in Girardsville; Elizabeth, wife of S. K. CLEAVER, residing in Berks County; Clinton G., John H., William E., Albert L., Clara A. and Thomas C. His father owned 180 acres of land at the time of his death. Our subject was brought up in Girardville, where he received his education, and where he was employed as a clerk until coming to this township. He came to Columbia County in 1879, and here has since resided. He married, June 2, 1875, Helen S. ACHENBACH, by whom he has four children: Curwin E., Clara E., Elsa E. and William J. Mrs. HOWER is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church; Mr. HOWER a member of the P. O. S. of A.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg 461)

Charles HUGHES, farmer, P. O. Catawissa, was born in Kingston Township, Luzerne County, this State, October 28, 1821, a son of James and Hannah (SMETLAND) HUGHES, former of Welsh descent, the latter a native of Connecticut. His great-grandfather came from Wales and located in Berks County, Penn. His grandfather, Hugh, married a lady named HUTTON, a relative of the HUTTONs of the present day. His maternal grandfather was Joseph SMETLAND, who with his family fled from Wyoming Valley during the massacre of 1812. After the war closed he came back and remained until his death. His grandfather, HUGHES, moved up to Rush Township, Northumberland County, in 1786, and there built one of the best stone houses in that county, the mechanical part of which was pronounced to be the best ever seen. The inside was as smooth as glass, with not a scratch on the wall. He also built the grist-mill near Danville, Penn., and lived there until his death. Our subject's father was only eight years of age when his parents moved to Northumberland County, and there he lived with them until 1812, when he moved into Wyoming Valley, where he purchased a farm and resided until his death. The farm he bought is a very valuable one on account of the vast amount of coal that it possesses, and is leased for twenty years, the six living children getting a royalty of $1,000 a piece annually. His father was born in 1778 and was in his ninety-third year at the time of his death. He was the father of twelve children, three sons and three daughters of whom are surviving: James, Jr., Charles, Edward, Mary A., Ann M. and Margaret. He was a life-long Republican, and served as justice of the peace; was one of the early surveyors of the Wyoming Valley, and was often called on for explanations of surveys and drafts, and was also an excellent millwright. Our subject was reared on a farm and remained with his parents until he was twenty-nine years of age, when he married and remained one year at home. He then resided on one of his father's farms in the same township for five years; then moved on Rev. George PECK's farm, and resided four years; thence to Plymouth Township on a rented farm, where he remained eighteen years. In 1874 he bought the farm where he now lives, but did not move on it until 1881. His sons, George P. and Hugh, had charge of this farm for about six years before he moved here. He owns 139 acres of good land. He has been twice married: first, to Ester PETTIBORN, who bore him eleven children, six living: George, Hugh, Mary, Gordon S., Charles and Isabel. His wife died February 20, 1874, and January 1, 1878, he married Mrs. Elizabeth (SUTTLIFF) MELLICK, by whom he had five children, four living: Margaret D., Jennie D., Stephen and Stanley. Mrs. HUGHES has also a child by her former marriage, Olena V. MELLICK. Mr. and Mrs. HUGHES are members of the Church. His first wife experienced religion when thirteen years of age, and was taken into full membership of the Methodist Episcopal Church, to which she was a faithful member during life. Mr. HUGHES was twice elected a justice of the peace, but did not serve.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg 461)

R. S. McHENRY, miller, P. O. Catawissa, was born in Hemlock Township, Columbia Co., Penn., April 1, 1851, a son of Moses W. and Sarah (MONTGOMERY) McHENRY of Scotch-Irish descent. His grandfather, Daniel, settled at Stillwater, where he operated a saw-mill. His grandfather, Samuel T. MONTGOMERY, was a shoemaker; later entered the ministry and was the founder of the Plymouth Christian Church in Luzerne County. He died in West Rittstown in 1885, in his eightieth year. Our subject's father was born at Stillwater, is a miller by trade, and has been conducting mills since he was eighteen years of age. He now lives in Beaver Township where he operates a mill. He was drafted in the civil war, but paid $700 for a substitute. He reared three sons and seven daughters (seven of whom are still living); Ruggles S.; Alice, wife of George WILLIAMS; Addie, wife of Charles HAZLETINE; Elizabeth, wife of George MUNSON; Gaylard, a miller at Iola; Minnie (deceased); Blanche, wife of Sherman HELLER; Charles, a miller in Luzerne County; Anna (deceased); and Nettie (deceased). Our subject commenced to learn his trade when fifteen years of age and worked eight years with his father. He then went to Paxinos, where he had charge of the mill for six years: then went to Eyer's Grove, and worked six months; thence to Mendenhall's mill, and worked two and one-half years; thence to Eyer's Grove for another year. In the spring of 1883 he rented what is known as Parr's mill on Big Roaring creek, since which time he has operated the same. He was married in September, 1873, to Annie S. YETTER, and they are the parents of six children: Lillian, Nettie, Robert, Pearl, Freddie and Celia. Mr. and Mrs. McHENRY are members of the Christian Church. In politics he is a Democrat.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg 462)

David A. MUNSON, farmer, P. O. Pensyl, was born in Kingston Township, Luzerne Co., Penn., August 17, 1835, a son of Abel and Elizabeth (ATHERHOLT) MUNSON, former a native of Connecticut, latter of Berks County, this State, but of German descent. His grandfather, Christian, was one of the first settlers in Kingston Township, Luzerne County, where he took up a large tract of land, lived and died. Our subject's father followed farming all his life in Luzerne county. He was the father of eight children, four of whom are living: Philip, Asa, George (a resident of Iowa) and David A. The father's death was caused by an accident. He was one night coming from market along the narrows of Tobey Creek, where there was room for only one vehicle. He was driving two horses, one of which was blind and got over the bank. The wagon was upset and Mr. MUNSON was found next morning with the wagon bed over him, his head out of the water and frozen to death. Both horses were drowned. He was buried in Dallas Township, Luzerne County. Our subject was only eighteen months old when this accident occurred, and he remained with his mother until he was of age when the estate was divided. He bought a farm adjoining the old homestead, and remained there until the spring of 1872, when he bought 136 acres in this township, where he has since resided. He has one of the best farms in the township, and also a fine residence and has made some of the improvements since coming here. He was married in December, 1859, to Elousi L. JOHNSON, a native of Luzerne County. They are the parents of five children: George J., a merchant in Beaver Valley; Miner S.; Mary E.; Nelson J. and Walter S. Mr. and Mrs. MUNSON are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Bethel. In 1876 Mr. MUNSON was elected justice of the peace and is still holding that office. He is one of the prominent men of this county. Has been school director and has done more for the county in the way of building schoolhouses than any one who has held the office. His mother lives with him at the age of ninety years, and has never been confined to her bed by sickness for twenty-four hours, within the memory of our subject.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg 462)

Washington PARR, farmer, P. O. Catawissa, was born in Columbia County, Penn., October 4, 1824, a son of Jacob and Elizabeth (SHUMAN) PARR, natives of Pennsylvania and of German descent. His grandfather came from Germany at an early day and settled in Catawissa, where he bought a tract of land and resided until his death. Jacob PARR was born in this county, and was a blacksmith by trade, which he followed a number of years at Lime Ridge, this county. In 1834 he bought a farm in Catawissa Township, where he followed agricultural pursuits until his death in 1847; that of his widow occurred in 1870. Our subject was reared on a farm and remained with his parents until the death of his father, when he rented the homestead and farmed it nine years, when it was sold. He then moved on his father-in-law's farm in this township and farmed eight years. He was engaged in mercantile business from 1858 to 1867. In 1864 he bought fourteen acres of land, where he now lives, on which he erected nearly all the buildings, made improvements and has since resided. He now owns ninety acres of good land, also the Willow Grove grist-mill, better known as "Parr's mill." He also bought a saw-mill, which, however, he has since abandoned. The grist-mill is almost in constant use with R. S. McHENRY, miller. Mr. PARR married, in April, 1849 Maria, daughter of John and Christiana MENCH. Mr. and Mrs. PARR are the parents of three children, two living: Alice, wife of Samuel LOREMAN, residing in York, Neb., and Sarah. Mr. and Mrs. PARR are members of the Lutheran Church. Mr. PARR was elected county commissioner in 1884, and has since served the public with satisfaction; has also been overseer of the poor, school director and stands high in political affairs. In politics he is a Democrat.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg 462)

John W. RIDER, farmer, P. O. Catawissa, was born in Locust Township, this county, April 1, 1853, and is a son of John and Elizabeth (YETTER) RIDER. His father was a native of Berks County, Penn., and his mother of this township, both of German descent. His paternal grandfather came from Berks County to Columbia County in 1812, and settled in Mayberry Township, in what is now Montour County, where he lived several years. He then moved to Lycoming county and bought a farm where he lived until his death in 1868. Our subject's father was only four years of age when his parents came here and when about the age of twenty-five he returned to this county and worked in this and Locust Townships. He bought the place where he now resides in 1862, built on it and made all the improvements. He was the father of seven children, of whom three sons and three daughters are now living: Lloyd, William, John W., Sarah (wife of Christian ARTLEY), Mary (wife of Abram STINE) and Harriet (wife of Jerry JOHN). Our subject has always lived on the homestead. In 1879 he went west and was absent about eight months stopping the most of his time in Lucas County, Iowa. He then returned and resumed farming, which he has since continued. He married, December 25, 1881, Emma, daughter of Henry and Betsey YOST. They are the parents of two children, Ira P. and Howard E. Mr. and Mrs. RIDER are members of the United Brethren Church.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg 463)

William ROHRBACH, farmer, P. O. Pensyl, was born in Bethlehem, Lehigh County, this State, November 29, 1816, a son of Jacob and Mary (FENSTAMECHER) ROHRBACH, natives of Berks County, Penn., and of German descent. His grandfather, Lorenzo, came from Germany when quite young with his parents and settled in Berks County. He was seventeen years of age when the Revolutionary war broke out; enlisted in the service. He lived in Berks County until his death, which occurred in his one-hundredth year. He worked in one of the many forges that were then in the county. His wife was in her ninety-eighth year when she died. Our subject's father was born in Berks County in 1781, and died in his seventy-fourth year. He came to this county in 1817, settled in Catawissa Township, near the old Catawissa furnace, in which he was founder several years. He moved thence to a farm on Roaring creek, where he lived about ten years; then moved to where James HILE now lives and resided there until his death. Our subject was reared on a farm and remained at home until he was married. He followed his trade, that of a tailor, for seventeen years, having learned it at the age of fourteen. In 1853 he moved up the south branch of Roaring creek, built a saw-mill and followed lumbering until 1865. He cleared some land and farmed while living here. He bought some 400 acres off which he took the timber and sold it. In 1865 he moved to where he now resides and purchased 300 acres, but has sold off until he now owns 130 acres of good land on which he has all the improvements. He has cleared a good portion of the land himself. He married, in 1852, Levina STARTZLER, a native of this county, and they are the parents of eight children five of whom are living: Margaret, wife of John ASHWORTH; Lorenzo D., married to Josephine REIGEL; Lydia, wife of Ervin VOUGHT; Harriet A., wife of Charles REIGEL and Zenith S. Mrs. ROHRBACH is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. ROHRBACH is one of the pioneers of this county. In politics he is a Democrat. In 1841 he moved to Sunbury and purchased an interest in a foundry, but, becoming dissatisfied, in 1842 moved back to this county and worked at his trade, doing a great deal of work for the furnace hands.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg 463)

William STOCKER, farmer, P. O. Catawissa, was born in Northumberland County, Penn., March 9, 1822, a son of Alexander and Jane (SHANNON) STOCKER, who were born near Belfast, Ireland. His grandfather, Samuel, came from Ireland at an early day, and settled in Northumberland County, this State. He first contracted on the canal, but soon adopted farming, which pursuit he followed during life. His parents were married on coming to America, and settled in Northumberland County. There his father contracted a few years on the canal, but in 1831 moved to Rush Township, where he followed farming. In 1833 he moved to Danville, where he farmed and did teaming. He lived here until 1840, when he moved to Columbia County and settled in Franklin Township, where he farmed until his death, which occurred April 8, 1868. Our subject was reared on a farm until twenty-five years of age, when he learned the carpenter's trade in 1847 in Schuylkill County, and followed it twenty-one years. In 1855 he bought the farm where he now lives, but remained on it only one year. In 1869 he moved on the farm now owned by Charles HUGHES. Mr. STOCKER now owns 247 acres of land, two first-class houses and three fine farms. He was married in May, 1850, to Christiana YETTER, and they have one daughter, Sarah J., wife of Washington F. MANHARDT. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg 463)

Back to

COLUMBIA COUNTY BIOS

MONTOUR COUNTY BIOS

SOME OTHER BIOGRAPHIES

HISTORY OF COLUMBIA COUNTY

HISTORY OF MONTOUR COUNTY

 
 

 
MY FILE CABINET
FAMILY LINES
JOWEST