COLUMBIA COUNTY, PA BIOGRAPHIES

JACKSON TOWNSHIP

From "The History of Columbia and Mountour Counties"
Battle, 1887


 
Iram DERR, farmer, P. O. Derrs, was born in Madison Township, Columbia Co., Penn., June 4, 1811, son of James and Nancy (KITCHEN) DERR, former of whom, a native of Anthony Township, Montour County, died in Tennessee, latter a native of Madison Township, this county, and a daughter of William KITCHEN, who was born in New Jersey. Judge DERR lived in Madison township, this county, and there learned his trade (chairmaker), serving a five years' apprenticeship, and in 1831 went to Orangeville, where he bought a house and pursued his business till 1836; then was elected constable of Bloom Township, serving two years; then moved to Rohrsburg in the spring of 1838, where, till 1841, he kept hotel; thence came to Jackson Township, and located on Little Fishing creek. There he built a saw-mill, and in the fall of 1843 was elected sheriff of Columbia County, his residence being in Danville till 1848. He then returned to the saw-mill, and in 1853 moved to his present home, which was under improvement except buildings. In the meantime he was elected commissioner in 1853, serving till 1856; was also justice of the peace, and in 1866 was elected associate judge, being re-elected in 1871, since which time he has not been in public life. His home farm consists of 116 acres; he also owns 558 acres in Jackson Township, and 100 in Greenwood Township. Judge DERR's first wife was Leah, daughter of Joseph WELLIVER, whom he married October 26, 1831. She died February 16, 1874. The children born to this union were John F., George W., Nancy K., Andrew J., Frank, Mary W., Calvin, James D. and Effie. Our subject next married, August 29, 1876, Mrs. Elizabeth C. WATTS nee LUNGER. The family, excepting John F., are members of the Church of Christ, of which Mr. DERR has been a member since 1857. In politics he is a Democrat.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg 489)

John F. DERR, farmer, P.O. DERRS, was born September 22, 1832, son of Iram DERR. He attended the common schools and the academy at Bloomsburg, and in his nineteenth year commenced teaching and lumbering, former in winter, latter in summer. He was married in 1853, and continued lumbering till 1862, when he went to farming on the place where he now resides (adjoining his father's property), where he owns fifty-eight acres. After moving here he served two terms as school director, and eight years as justice of the peace, resigning July 15, 1885. He was then appointed storekeeper and gauger by the Government. During this time he has taught twenty-seven terms of school, teaching winters--sixteen terms in his own district. Mr. DERR was married to Rebecca, daughter of John CHRISTIAN, of Pine twp., this county, and by her he has two children: Mary A. (wife of James S. WOODS, in Schuylkill Co., Penn.) and Ida F. (unmarried). Mr. DERR has been a member of the Baptist Church for twenty-five years. In politics he is a Democrat. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 489)

J. Frank DERR was born January 2, 1840, at Rohrsburg, this county; was drafted in the service in 1862, and served in Company I, One Hundred and Seventy-eight Regiment; was mustered in and out at Harrisburg; was married February 4, 1864, to miss Julia A. SHULTZ; resided at Rohrsburg and followed millwrighting and carpentering until 1873; then moved to Jackson where he has been in the lumbering business. The children born to our subject and wife are Laura, Leah, May, Minnie, Earl and Fred. The family attended the services of the Christian Church. In politics Mr. DERR is a Democrat. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg 489)

Daniel L. EVERHART, farmer, P. O. Waller, was born in Northampton County, Penn., December 23, 1823, and came to this county in 1836, first locating in Orange Township. His parents were Jacob and Elizabeth (ANAWALT) EVERHART, former of whom, a son of Isaiah EVERHART, was born in Lehigh County, Penn., and died in Orange Township, one mile and a half north of Light Street. They were members of the Lutheran Church and had a family of six children: Daniel L., Wilhelmina A., Augustus, Sarah K., Luther J., and Anna S. Of these only Daniel L. and Augustus live in Columbia County. Our subject lived at home until he was twenty-two years old, then moved to Berwick, this county, where he learned milling and worked about eighteen months; then went to Nescopeck, Penn., and worked six months; thence to Wapwallopen for three months; then for a time in an iron mine at Bloomsburg; and thence to Light Street where he worked in the mill with William BROWN, whose daughter, Mary E., he married in May, 1851. Mr. and Mrs. EVERHART resided nine years at Light Street before he opened a hotel at that place, which he kept nine years. Thence they came to his farm of 112 acres (the home farm) and 124 in woodland. Mr. and Mrs. EVERHART have reared five children: Clara, wife of Z. A. BUTT; Charlie, Alverda H., Abner C. and Alvaretta. The family attend the services of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics Mr. EVERHART is a Democrat, and held the office of supervisor for one year. He was also postmaster from 1866 to 1872 at Polkville, which is now called Waller (Columbia County). He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and the Encampment, and is an A. F. & A. M. He served nine months in the army during the war of the Rebellion.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 489)

George HIRLEMAN, farmer, P. O. Waller, was born in France, near the German border, son of George and Dorothy (WETTLING) HIRLEMAN, former of whom had been a soldier under Napoleon Bonaparte during the war with Russia; he died in January, 1885, aged one hundred years and one month. Mrs. Dorothy HIRLEMAN died in February, 1882, at Pottsville, Penn. Their family consisted of seven children: George, Henry, Philip, Magdalena, Sarah, Barbara, and Louisa, who died on the ocean. The family sailed for America from Havre de Grace, France, April 27, 1829, arriving at Philadelphia after a voyage of forty-two days, and a few days thereafter moved to Pottsville, Penn. Our subject came from there to Columbia County, January 26, 1846, and settled at what is now Waller. He purchased seventy-five acres of timber land which he improved, and now his farm of ninety-six acres is one of the best in Jackson Township. He married, at Sunbury, Penn., Barbara FRY, who was born near Mr. HIRLEMAN's birthplace, and came to America at the same time as the HIRLEMANS. To this union were born the following named children: Sarah, Louisa, Henry H., Emma, George, Jacob, Magdalena, Daniel, Samuel, Philip and Alice. Henry H. was born in Schuylkill County, Penn., and now lives in Waller. He was married January 13, 1870, to Elvira HESS, daughter of Joseph O. HESS of Sugarloaf Township, this county. He built his present dwelling in Waller in 1883, and kept store in the village for a considerable time, but on account of failing health had to sell out and take up farming and huckstering. The subject of this sketch commenced business for himself running from 1839 to 1845, a canal-boat in the coal trade, from Pottsville to Philadelphia, New York, Wilmington, Governor's Island and Long Island. He owned a deck boat of about seventy tons burden, valued at $1,000. In 1845 he was employed by the Phoenix Company on the railroad driving a five-mule team, hauling coal from Broad Mountain to Schuylkill Haven. Removing to his farm in 1846 he commenced buying and driving stock to Schuylkill County; was also in the lumber, shingle and produce business. Mr. HIRLEMAN has served his township eleven years as school director and treasurer; six years as supervisor, besides other minor offices. He is a member of the Lutheran Church. In politics is a Democrat.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 490)

James W. KITCHEN, farmer, P. O. Guava, was born in Greenwood Township, Columbia Co., Penn., December 24, 1826, son of Samuel and Elizabeth (VAN HORN) KITCHEN, who settled in the northwestern part of Sugarloaf Township in about 1849. Here Samuel bought 136 acres of land and died. His widow is living in Jackson Township with her son Calvin. They had seven children: Cyrus, in Crawford County, Penn.; James W., Isaiah, in Nebraska; William, in Putnam County, Ohio; Calvin, in this township; Mary J., wife of J. LEWIS, in Crawford County, Penn.; Beulah, wife of G. H. HESS, in Crawford County. James W. was married April 12, 1849, to Catharine, daughter of William STEPHENS, and she died January 2, 1867, the mother of four children: Jasper, Elmira (deceased), Sevilla, wife of William YORKS, and Mary E., wife of William HAWTHORNE, of Crawford County, Penn. Our subject married on second occasion October 17, 1880, Mrs. Sarah C. FRITZ, daughter of William RHONE. Mr. KITCHEN came from Jackson Township in 1851, and settled where he now lives, about four miles northeast from Waller, and here owns seventy-eight acres of improved farm land. He was elected justice of the peace and served ten years; was school director eleven years, and filled other minor offices. In politics he is a Democrat.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 490)

John RANTZ, retired farmer, P.O. Rohrsburg, one of the prominent men of Jackson Township, was born near Orangeville, this county, May 3, 1811, son of John, Sr. (a farmer) and Elizabeth (HITTLE) RANTZ, the latter of whom survived her husband and became the wife of Joseph H. ROBBINS. Shortly after the birth of our subject the family removed to Rohrsburg, thence came to Jackson Township, eventually locating on the place where John F. DERR now resides, and here the father died in March, 1822, the owner of 200 acres of land. Our subject lived till 1825 on the old place, but his mother, on marrying the second time, in 1823, moved to the place where John RANTZ now lives. Joseph H. ROBBINS owned seventy-six acres, now the property of our subject, who has added thereto till he possesses 300 acres (at one time he owned about 400 acres). The ROBBINS family (including our subject) moved to Ohio in 1836, and there Mr. and Mrs. ROBBINS both died. In 1838 Mr. RANTZ returned and built his house and barns. October 22, 1843, he married Mary, daughter of John CHRISTIAN, and by her had four children: Elizabeth, married to John L PARKER, who was killed at Fort Griggs during the War of the Rebellion, leaving children Laura Mary, wife of Lee BELLES (Mrs. PARKER then married Joseph REECE, by whom she had one child, Lundy, and she died when the child was four days old); Jacob, a merchant in Rohrsburg, this county; Christian, in Lycoming County, Penn.; Rebecca, wife of Francis ALBERTSON, of this township. Mr. RANTZ has lived on his present place ever since his marriage. He learned his trade, that of stone-mason and plasterer, when nineteen years old, and followed this business until 1885, when he retired. He worked seven years on locks and bridges, and helped build a stone bridge across the Schuylkill at Black Rock Tunnel near Phoenixville, Penn. Both as a government contractor and an agriculturist Mr. RANTZ has been very prosperous. He taught school five terms during his live. Our subject is a member of the Christian Church at Derrs. In politics he is a Republican. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 491)

George REMLEY, farmer, P. O. Waller, residing, three miles north of Waller, is a son of Michael and Mary (HARTMAN) REMLEY, former of whom was born in 1802, and came to Jackson township in 1840; he died at Stony Book, near LightStreet, this county, February 20, 1886 (his father, also named Michael, came from Northampton County to Centre Township, this county, three miles east of Orangeville, in 1800, and died near the Knob Mountain while residing with his sister Elizabeth, wife of George SIDLER). Mrs. Mary REMLEY was a daughter of George HARTMAN, who died on the old homestead in Jackson township in 1875 or 1876. When Mr. REMLEY came to this township in 1840, he bought 120 acres of land in the woods, and there reared a family of ten children: George; Anna, wife of Henry GETTY; Sarah, wife of henry GOLDER; Mary, wife of George GETTY; William Swyn; Daniel, who died in the army; Emanuel and Catharine. George married January 14, 1854, Catharine SCHULTZ, who was born near Coblentz, Prussia, and they lived on their present place, part of the old homestead, where he has now 78 acres of well improved land. Mr. and Mrs. George REMLEY reared a family of ten children: Michael; John W.; Mary (deceased); Margaret; Rebecca; G. G. McCLELLAN; Samuel; Hannah; Emma, and Stella (deceased). The family attend the services of the Evangelical Church. Mr. REMLEY is a member of Jackson Grange, No. 210; has filled several offices and is now serving his third term as supervisor. He was in the army during the war of the Rebellion, serving twice, first time nine months, and second eighteen months.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 491)

Michael S. REMLEY, farmer, P. O. Waller, son of George REMLEY, was born December 7, 1854, on the old homestead where he now lives. He remained and worked at home until he was nearly twenty-one years old; then went to Bremer County, Iowa, where he remained five years. Returning in 1880 he married, April 9, 1881, Miss Mary M. KLINE, who was born in Fishingcreek Township, this county, near Stillwater, only child of Charles and Lavina (KLINE) COLEMAN, former now living at New Columbus, latter a daughter of Matthias KLINE. In 1882 they came to their present location, where Mr. REMLEY bought fifty-three acres of land, and erected a good house. Our subject and wife have three children: Jay, Coy and Amy Grace. Mr. REMLEY is a member of Jackson Grange, No. 210.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 491)

John YORKS, farmer, P. O. Waller, was born May 5, 1807, in New Jersey, son of William YORKS. He lived under the parental roof until he was twenty-one years of age, and then (1828) commenced working on the canal at Penn's Creek, below Selin's Grove, Penn., and in 1829 on the canal at Berwick, continuing to work on the railroad. He settled in 1839 on his present place, having bought fifty acres of land from Jake KEELER, all woodland, which he cleared up and improved. He now owns sixty acres. Mr. YORKS married Lucy, daughter of Daniel ASHELMAN, and by her has had twelve children, three of whom died in infancy. Those surviving are Martin, Wesley, Emanuel, Emeline, Eliza, Franklin, Sutton, Peter and Martha. Our subject's father, William YORKS, was of Low Dutch descent, and came from New Jersey, settling in Fishingcreek Township, this county, in 1791. His children were John, Samuel, Thomas, Joseph, Catharine, Mary, Hannah and Elizabeth. Benjamin was born in New Jersey, married a Miss HALL, and together they moved to Fishingcreek Township, where he rented a farm two years, then came to this township, and in 1820 settled where D. S. EVERHART now lives. He bought 106 acres of land and died in Lycoming County, Penn., at the residence of Mrs. Eliza CLEMMENS. His wife died at the residence of her son Henry.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 491)

Joseph YORKS, farmer, P. O. Waller, son of Joseph YORKS, Sr., was born February 12, 1823, in Sugarloaf Township, this county. When only a month old he lost his father, and when about six years old he was put to live among strangers in Luzerne County, and came to Jackson township when about eleven, and remained until he was sixteen years old when he returned to Sugarloaf Township. In 1852 he married Hannah, daughter of Ephraim PARKER, and they lived at the mill of William YORKS, in Sugarloaf Township, which mill he operated himself until coming to this township in 1860, though he continued carrying on the mill until 1867. Mr. YORKS bought the land he now lives on in 1851 or 1852, and improved the place with his own hands. He has here the nicest buildings in the township north of Waller. He also owned other lands in the township. Mr. and Mrs. YORKS are the parents of five children: William L.; Martha F., wife of William A. FRITZ, in Sugarloaf Township; John L.; Henry E. and Joseph P. Our subject has filled several township offices such as supervisor, school director, etc. In politics he is a Democrat.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 492)

William L. YORKS, son of Joseph YORKS, was born in Sugarloaf Township, June 4, 1853, and was educated in the schools of Jackson Township and at Millville Seminary. At the age of seventeen he commenced teaching school, and has taught every winter, excepting three, since 1870. He remained under the parental roof until his marriage, December 24, 1874, with miss Savilla, daughter of James W. KITCHEN, and by this union there is one child, Leslie W., born July 4, 1875. In 1875 Mr. YORKS and his young wife came to their present home where he owns sixty-two acres of well improved land. HE has filled various offices and is at present auditor.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 491)

Back to

COLUMBIA COUNTY BIOS

MONTOUR COUNTY BIOS

SOME OTHER BIOGRAPHIES

HISTORY OF COLUMBIA COUNTY

HISTORY OF MONTOUR COUNTY

 
 

 
MY FILE CABINET
FAMILY LINES
JOWEST