COLUMBIA COUNTY, PA BIOGRAPHIES

MOUNT PLEASANT TOWNSHIP

From "The History of Columbia and Mountour Counties"
Battle, 1887


 
SILAS CLARK BEAGLE, blacksmith, Mordansville, was born at Mordansville, Mount Pleasant Township, Columbia Co., Penn., April 8, 1863, son of Leonard and Margaret (MORDAN) BEAGLE. Michael BEAGLE, grandfather of our subject, emigrated from Germany to this country after he had reared the most of his family, came directly to Columbia county and located about a quarter of a mile north of Mordansville, when the surrounding country was yet very wild. His wife's maiden name was Rebecca Margaret. When they located at the point mentioned they put up their improvements, consisting of a frame house and buildings, the house being now occupied by Hiram BOGART. Here Michael BEAGLE died about 1872, his wife having preceded him by one or two years. They are buried in Dutch Hill Cemetery. Leonard BEAGLE, brother of our subject, was born in Germany, and when he was fifteen years of age his family immigrated to the United States and located in Columbia County. He spent the remainder of his life in Mordansville and vicinity. He was married in this county to Margaret MORDAN, by whom he had one child, Silas Clark. Leonard BEAGLE enlisted in the nine months' call, and, after serving his time out and coming home, he enlisted in company H, Thirty-second Heavy Artillery, thought they served as infantry. He was with his regiment until the time of his death, which occurred in camp from fever brought on by exposure. His remains were sent home to his family and buried in Dutch Hill Cemetery with the honors of war. His widow, now wife of Michael HAWK, resides at Eyer's Grove. Silas Clark BEAGLE was reared at Mordansville, and at the age of over seventeen years commenced to learn the trade of blacksmith at Harmon SEVERSON's shop. He worked there between two and three years, then came to Mordansville and built his present shop, which he has conducted ever since. He does all kinds of blacksmith repair work, ironing of wood work, etc. He was married in this county November 23, 1882, to Miss Eva Jane HIPPENSTIEL, a native of this county, and daughter of Peter and Sallie HIPPENSTIEL, residents of Mount Pleasant Township, this county. Mr. and Mrs. BEAGLE are the parents of two children: Howard Ammerman and John Franklin. Mrs. BEAGLE is a member of the Lutheran church.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 516)

SAMUEL HARTZEL, farmer, P. O. Light Street, was born in Mount Pleasant Township, this county, November 12, 1834, son of Jacob and Elizabeth (DELONG) HARTZEL. Jacob HARTZEL was born in Northampton County, Penn., was there reared, and thence came to this county when a young man, and shortly afterward bought land where Samuel now resides. He cleared up this land and farmed it, and also followed the trade of shoemaking (which he had learned in Northampton County) after coming here until his death. He was married in this county to Mrs. Elizabeth STOUFFER, nee DELONG, widow of John STOUFFER, and they were the parents of two children: Joshua, in Mount Pleasant Township, this county, and Samuel. The father of this family died in October, 1878, his wife in March, same year. They are buried in Canby Cemetery, Mount Pleasant Township, this county. Samuel was reared in Mount Pleasant Township, and has spent his lifetime of over half a century at the place where he now resides. He has always made farming his occupation, though he assisted his father to some extent shoemaking, and also occasionally followed the carpenter trade. he was married in this county in June, 1857, to Miss Christiann STRAUP, a native of this county, daughter of Jonathan and Catherine (CLAUSER) STRAUP, both deceased, latter buried at Canby, this county. Mr. and Mrs. HARTZEL are the parents of four children, three now living: Jacob Harvey, married to Samantha SITLER (they live in Centre Township, this county); Anna Mary and Lucinda Rebecca. The one deceased was an infant unnamed. Mr. HARTZEL has about 115 acres of land, all of which lies in Mount Pleasant Township. Mr. and Mrs. HARTZEL attend the Lutheran Church, of which she is a member. He is a Democrat politically, and has held the office of school director and supervisor.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 516)

Elias HOWELL, retired, P.O. Light Street, was born in Limestone Township, Montour County, Penn., September 27, 1825, son of William and Anna (TITUS) HOWELL, former of whom was born in New Jersey in 1802, and the latter dying during our subject's infancy, his uncle, Vinson DYE, took him to raise. In 1810, when William was but eight years of age, his uncle removed from New Jersey to what is now Limestone Township, Montour Co., Penn., and with him William lived, assisting on the farm until he had reached the age of eighteen years, when he went to learn the trade of stone-mason and plasterer, in the same neighborhood. While living there he was married to Miss Anna TITUS, and in 1836 they removed to Mount Pleasant Township, this county, where he bought 150 acres in the same neighborhood as the present farm of his son, Elias. He then devoted almost his entire attention to farming, doing only his own mason work, following agricultural pursuits until about ten years before his death, when he lived a retired life. Mr. and Mrs. William HOWELL were the parents of eight children, six now living: Mary Ellen, wife of William HOWER, in Luzerne County, Penn.; William, in East Nanticoke, Penn.; Edith Ann, wife of William BOWMAN, in Carthage County, Mo.; Robert C., in Mount Pleasant township, this county, John V., in Bloomsburg, Penn., and Elias. The father of this family died April 1, 1874. He and his wife are buried in the Bloomsburg Cemetery. Elias HOWELL, subject of this sketch, was ten or eleven years of age when the family removed from Montour County to what is now Mount Pleasant Township, this county. In the spring of 1843 he went to Bloomsburg to learn the blacksmith trade with William SLOAN, and worked with him two years; then went to Montour County, where he resided two years; then returned to this county, and for some seven or eight years worked by the day for different farmers; then went into the mines in Bloom Township, this county, and was there engaged thirteen years at contract work. He then bought eighty-four acres of land in Mount Pleasant Township, this county, and commenced farming; also leased a limestone ridge near by, put up a kiln, and for six years was engaged at that business as well as farming. After that time he gave his entire attention to farming until the spring of 1881, since which time he has lived a retired life, renting his farm. He was married in this county in November, 1846, to Miss Emeline ANDREWS, a native of Columbia County. She died April 19, 1885, at the age of fifty-nine years, three months, nineteen days, and is buried in the Vanderslice graveyard, Hemlock Township, this county. Mr. and Mrs. HOWELL were the parents of eight children, four now living; William, married to Emily LAUBACH, in Hemlock Township, this county; John, married to Mary WHITENIGHT, also in Hemlock Township; Anna Margaret, wife of Peter MELICK, in Mount Pleasant Township, this county; Isaiah Willetts, married to Catherine WOLF, on the home place. The deceased are Sylvester, Robert Francis, James Franklin and Clarence Lloyd. Mr. Howell is a member of the Methodist Church. His wife had also been a member of that church from her fourteenth year to the time of her death, forty-five years. He is at present collector of Mount Pleasant Township, which office he has held since 1880; has also been treasurer of the school board for six years. He has held the office of supervisor for three years, and overseer of the poor four years. He is a member of Light Street Grange, No. 31, P. of H. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 516)

THOMAS P. McBRIDE, Bloomsburg, steward of the Bloom Poor District, composed of townships of Bloom, Scott, Greenwood and Sugarloaf, was born in Berwick, this county, January 17, 1819, son of John and Edith (GOSSNER) McBRIDE. Nathaniel McBRIDE, grandfather of Thomas P., came to this county in the early days, and located in Hemlock Township, where he bought and cleared up land. John McBRIDE, father of our subject, was born in this county and reared here to farm life. He afterward abandoned farming and gave his attention to the mason's trade, following that occupation principally at Bloomsburg. He was also engaged on the work of the Catawissa Railroad. He was married in Berwick to Edith GOSSNER, and they were the parents of thirteen children, of whom six are living: Thomas P.; Maria, widow of John BANGHART (she lives in Lime Ridge, this county); Alexander, in Hughsville, Penn.; Elizabeth, wife of Solomon SMITH (they live near Three Rivers, Mich.); Mary, widow of Henry CRUM (she lives in Bloomsburg, this county), and Franklin P., also in Bloomsburg. The father of this family died in 1858, the mother in 1844, and both are buried in the Lutheran cemetery at Bloomsburg. Thomas P. McBRIDE, subject of this sketch, was reared in this county, where he has always made his home. When he was nine years of age he went to work on the farm of Isaac COON, where he was employed three years. He then began boating on the canal between Bloomsburg and Philadelphia, and for three years followed that occupation. He then commenced to learn the tailor trade with B. RUPERT of Bloomsburg, with whom he was employed about eight years. He then bought a canal boat and engaged for himself in the coal carrying trade between Bloomsburg and Baltimore. He was thus employed about two years when he sold his boat and was engaged the next year in the store of L. B. RUPERT, and for the next boated with William MORRIL. He then went into partnership with Elias MENDENHALL, and was engaged with him in boating for four years. He then removed to the lumber woods in the upper end of this county, where Mr. MENDENHALL had purchased a tract of land and superintended the farming and lumbering at this place for fifteen years. Later he bought fifty acres of land near Rohrsburg to which he moved, and farmed it three years. March 28, 1876, he was appointed steward of the Bloom Poor District. He did not find the farm in very good condition when he took charge, but he has brought the place up to a high standard by constant improvements, and now it is a credit to the county. Since he has taken charge there have been four boards of overseers, and as Mr. McBRIDE has retained his position all this time, it is ample evidence that his administration has been satisfactory. He was married in this county September 8, 1858, to Miss Amanda ROBBINS, a native of this county, daughter of Margaret ROBBINS, deceased. Mr. and Mrs. McBRIDE are the parents of four children, of whom two are living: Urbanus, married to Prebella McHENRY, in Light Street, this county, and Margaret, wife of Jacob HIRLEMAN, in Bloomsburg, this county. John and Mary are deceased. Mr. McBRIDE is a Democrat politically.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 517)

CHARLES H. MASON, farmer, P. O. Canby, was born in the city of Philadelphia June 11, 1815, son of William and Parthena (WETHERILL) MASON. There were three brothers in the MASON family who came over in the "Mayflower" and landed at Plymouth Rock in 1620. Capt. John MASON, who is so prominently spoken of in history, is the one of these brothers from whom Charles H. is descended. The great-grandfather of our subject was Ebenezer MASON. He had a son, also named Ebenezer, who was the grandfather of Charles H., and was born at Ashford, Conn., March 27, 1749; was married June 23, 1774, to Mary HASTINGS, who was also born at Ashford, Conn., December 17, 1752. They were the parents of eleven children, as follows: Rufus, born May 23, 1775, died July 29, 1776; Mehetabel, b. August 23, 1776, d. April 1, 1800; Rufus, b. May 3, 1778, d. September 10, 1812; Eliphalet, b. June 23, 1780, d. March 11, 1853; Ebenezer, b. October 2, 1782, d. May 10, 1873; David, b. July 27, 1784, d. August 29, 1848; Alva, b. August 9, 1786, d. April 21, 1863; William, b. February 17, 1788, d. February 28, 1844; Mary, b. May 26, 1790, d. December 14, 1866; Chester, b. June 10, 1793, d. November 29, 1845; Margaret, b. June 7, 1795, d. April 26, 1882. The father of this family died July 25, 1824, and was buried at Ashford, Conn. After his death his widow removed to Monreeton, Bradford County, where she died in September, 1834, and is buried there. William MASON, father of Charles H., was born and reared at Ashford, Conn., and on arriving at a suitable age, went to Hartford, where he learned the art of wood-engraving, and in 1810 removed to Philadelphia where he followed it, being the first in that line in the Quaker City. He followed this art a number of years and then commenced the manufacture of philosophical instruments, such as air-pumps, electrical machines, etc., including a telescope for himself. He conducted that business until seventeen years before his death, when he gave his attention to art, instructing in drawing and designing, and this he followed until his death. Among his designs was an ideal one, which he called the "inventor's head;" it is in the shape of a human head, formed entirely of mechanical appliances, and so constructed as to be a good likeness; although very minute in its detail, it was drawn with a lead pencil and shaded with India ink. Charles H. MASON has a photograph of the drawing in his possession. Among others who studied designing, etc., under William MASON were Thomas U. WALTERS, the designer of Girard College, and John TROUTWINE, a noted civil engineer. Mr. MASON was married in Philadelphia to Parthenia WETHERILL, a native of Salem, N. J., born January 3, 1793. They were the parents of seven children, of whom six are living: Samuel Rufus, in Dodge County, Neb.; Charles H. and Margaret Ann, wife of William H. STRICKLAND, in Reading, Penn. (twins); Mary Delia, wife of Samuel C. HAYS, in the stationery business in Philadelphia; Amanda Jane, widow of John DAINTY (she lives at Beverly, N. J.); Catherine Wetherill, widow of Nathan Stern BEEKLEY (she lives in Philadelphia); William MORRISON (twin to Mrs. BEEKLEY) is deceased. Mr. and Mrs. William MASON, parents of the above, are buried at Philadelphia. Charles H. MASON, subject of this sketch, was reared in Philadelphia and there educated. At the age of seventeen he went into the country in Bucks County, where he served an apprenticeship of five years on a farm. In 1836 he went to Monroeton, Bradford Co., Penn., and there worked at different employments, farming, rafting on the river, lumbering and teaching school, and in 1842 went to Hill's Grove, Lycoming Co., Penn., where he resided until 1846, moving thence to Shrewsbury, same county, where he lived until 1849. In that year he came to Mount Pleasant Township, and operated a saw-mill on Fishing creek for one year. From that time until 1852 he worked by the day. At the latter date he began to learn the carpenter and millwright trades, and on completing his instruction went into the millwrighting business as journeyman with Marshall G KINLEY of Bloomsburg, this county, and for seven years worked with him most of the time. After that he worked at carpenter work until 1880, when his wrist being broken, he abandoned that work and since then has done little else than attend to the farming of his lot. He married June 16, 1841. Miss Mary TINGLEY, a native of Hughsville, Lycoming Co., Penn., born March 30, 1821. She died March 8, 1876, and is buried in the Lutheran cemetery at Canby. By that marriage there were eight children, seven now living: William Chester, in Mount Pleasant Township, this county; Jeremiah M., in Wichita, Wichita Co., Tex; Martha Jane Craven, wife of John MCMULLEN, in Knoxville, N. Y.; Nelson WINFIELD, in Holland, Lucas Co., Ohio; Samuel Rufus, in Toledo, Ohio; Sarah Elizabeth, wife of William A. WAIT, a druggist in Sugar Notch, Luzerne Co., Penn., and Isaiah Willett Hartman, a salesman in the carpet store of Hudson & Simington, Detroit, Mich. Amanda Melissa, the second born, is deceased. Mr. MASON was again married December 16, 1877, this time to Catherine Ann MCCASLIN, widow of Marvin MCCASLIN of Montoursville, Lycoming Co., Penn., and daughter of John and Jane DUDDER, natives of this county. Her grandfather was from New Jersey. Her father died January 17, 1883, aged seventy years, ten months and three days, and was buried at Canby, this county. Her mother died February 22, 1837, aged twenty-five years. Mr. and Mrs. MASON are members of the Lutheran Church. In politics he is a Republican. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 518)

Philip MILLER, farmer, P.O. Eyer's Grove, was born in what is now Madison Township, this county, September 24, 1824, son of Daniel and Elizabeth (WELLIVER) MILLER. Daniel MILLER, who at the time of his death was one of the oldest citizens of this county; was born June 10, 1784, in New Jersey, about twenty miles from Easton. He was reared to farm life and March 10, 1809, he was married to Betsey WELLIVER, who was four years his junior. He enlisted for two years in the war of 1812, but after being in the army little over a year, he grew tired of a soldier's life, and gave a man $27 to serve his time out. In 1820, he with his wife and four children removed to Pennsylvania. They first lived on the farm now owned by John McMICHAEL in Greenwood, this county, and afterward in several places in Greenwood, Madison and Mount Pleasant Townships. In September, 1864, he and his wife took a trip to New Jersey, their old home, but the latter taking sick, it was four months before she could return, and from this illness she never fully recovered. They were the parents of nine children of whom four are now living: Aaron, in Hemlock Township, this county; Sarah, widow of Martin KILGRESS, in Lycoming County, Penn.; Henry A., in Mount Pleasant Township, this county; and Philip. Robert, Nancy, wife of Samuel NEYHART, Effie, wife of George WHITENIGHT, John and Phoebe Ellen are deceased. The father of this family died in February, 1880; the mother died February 17, 1874. They are buried in Ikeler's graveyard, Mount Pleasant Township. Philip MILLER, subject of this sketch, was reared in this county to farm life, and made his home with his parents until his marriage, after which event, his parents leaving that place, he farmed it for two years afterward. He first bought land in 1861, purchasing fifty acres where he now resides, to which he has since added about five acres more. He was married November 2, 1848, to Miss Ann KELLER, who died on April 7, 1853. By this marriage there were two children: Wesley B., married to Miss Ida B. SHUMAKER (they reside in Madison Township, this county) and Francis B. (deceased). Mr. MILLER again married December 12, 1861, Miss Elizabeth KELLER, a native of this county, and daughter of Henry KELLER. By this marriage there were four children, one now living, Jennie. The deceased are Rosa Clemintine, David Masters and Warren. Mr. and Mrs. MILLER are members of the Methodist Church. Mr. MILLER has held the offices of school director and supervisor of Mount Pleasant Township. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 519)

Joseph E. SANDS (deceased)was born July 18, 1811 in Mifflin Twp, Columbia Co., Penn. His ancestors came from England, the pioneer of the name being John SANDS, who was obliged to leave his native country on account of religious persecution. He settled in Berks County, Penn., and from him are descended all of the name in this county. The father of our subject was John, son of Daniel, who was a son of the pioneer John. Joseph E. when a lad was brought by his parents to Briarcreek Township, Columbia County, and during his minority worked for Andrew HUNLOCK, who carried on a woolen mill. While in his employ, he learned the business thoroughly, and in 1835 came to Greenwood Township. That year he married Esther LUNDY, and 3 years later came to what is now Mordansville, and built a woolen mill, which is now operated by his son, C.L. He carried on that business up to the time of his death, which occurred Feb.24, 1881, of apoplexy, at Philadelphia. He had visited the above city with his son Charles to buy goods, and while there died very suddenly, while making his purchases. He was buried with Masonic honors, of which fraternity he was an honored member, and his remains now repose in Orange Township, in the McHenry Cemetery. In speaking of Mr. SANDS, he can well be called a representative man in Columbia County. In politics, he was a Republican though not a partisan. He was appointed the first postmaster at this place, and in 1875 was elected county commissioner, and served with credit to himself and satisfaction to his constituents. He was generous and liberal, and his hand was ever ready to contribute to the wants of the needy. He was a successful business man, and was always in the front when the general interests of the people were at stake. He reared a family of seven sons and one daughter all of whom married. Three of the sons served their country in the civil war, and Mr. SANDS, himself, went out with the militia when the Southern forces invaded the State in 1863. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 519)

Charles L. SANDS, president of Mordansville woolen mills, Mordansville, was born near Rohrsburg, this county, Dec. 16, 1849; son of Joseph E. and Esther (LUNDY) SANDS. John SANDS, grandfather of our subject, came to this county from Berks County, Penn., in the early part of the present century. He was born in Berks County, and there learned the miller's trade, and when he came to this county, he went to Mifflin Township, where he was the miller at Brown's Mill, near Mifflinville, for a number of years. From there he removed to near Orangeville, and operated the BOWMAN mill a number of years, and from there removed to Greenwood Township and ran the FULMER (Now the ALINAS COLE) mill and while connected with this mill he fell dead from apoplexy while working in the orchard near by. His death occurred in June, 1856. He was married in this county to Miss Hannah ECK, of Briarcreek Township, also a member of an early settler's family. She survived her husband about 7 years. They are buried in the McHENRY Graveyard, in Orange Township, this county. They were the parents of 6 children, 4 now living; Mary, in Greenwood Township, this county; Ann, wife of Baltis GIRTON, now living in Aledo, ILL.; Uzilla, widow of James STRONG, who in the service of the Union, was killed at Fort Fisher-she lives at Dushore, Sullivan County, Penn.; Horace lives at Wyalusing, Bradford County, Penn.; Emmma and Joseph E. are deceased; Joseph E. SANDS, father of Charles L., the second in order of age of these children, was born in Mifflin Township, while his father was the miller at Brown's Mills. He made his home with his parents until he reached the age of 18 years, and then went to work to learn his trade in the woolen mill of Andrew HUNLOCK, Briarcreek Township, this county. He learned the trade there, and when he had obtained a thorough knowledge of the business he erected a woolen mill of his own one mile north of Rohrsburg, on Green Creek. He worked that mill until 1856, but as the woods around became cleared up the creek began to fail, and finally he found it impossible to run the mill with the water of that stream. In 1856 he erected a mill on the banks of Little Fishing Creek, in Mount Pleasant Twp, which forms the nucleus of the present Mordansville woolen mills. He operated this mill until about one week before his death, when he sold it to Charles L. SANDS. He was married in this county to Miss Esther LUNDY, a native of this county, and daughter of Henry LUNDY, and they were the parents of 10 children, 7 now living: Henry H., in Hemlock Twp, this county; William E., in Mount Pleasant Township, Thomas E., also in Hemlock Township; Anna MARGARET, wife of W.W. EVES, of the firm of Ellis EVES & Brother, merchants at Millville; Charles L; Joseph H., in the hardware business in Bowling Green, Ohio (he is married to Mary TURNER, a native of Wood County, Ohio), and James P. The deceased are Elijah and John (twins), and Susannah. The father of this family died Feb. 24, 1881, while at Philadelphia on a business trip. He was a strong Union man during the war and went out with the militia at the time of the invasion of the State by the Confederate forces. His widow died Dec. 3, 1886. They are buried in the McHENRY graveyard, Orange Township. The mother was a member of the Christian Church; the father was a Friend by birthright. Mr. SANDS had held the office of commissioner of Columbia CO. from 1876 to 1879. He was the first postmaster of Mordansville, which position he held unit his election as commissioner. He was a well known man in Columbia County, and commanded the respect of even those who differed from him in his views. Of his children, 3 were in the service of the Union during the war. Henry H. was twice a volunteer, at first in Company E, One Hundred and Thirty-second Pennsylvania Volunteers, and while in the regiment participated among others at the battles of Antietam, Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville. The second time he enlisted was in 1864, in Company D, Two Hundred and Tenth Pennsylvania Infantry, and was in the battles of Hatcher's Run, Gravelly Run, Five Points, and the regiment participated in the movements about Petersburg which resulted in the fall of that stronghold and Richmond, and the surrender of Lee; also participated in the grand reunion of the victorious armies of the Union at the national capital at the close of the war. William E. was in the One Hundred and Third Pennsylvania Infantry. He served with his regiment from February, 1865, until the close of the war. Thomas E. was in the independent cavalry, and was engaged principally in the civil service department. Charles L. SANDS, subject of this sketch, was reared in this county, and made his home with his parents until he was eighteen years of age, and then went to work at the carpenter's trade with Abraham Dildine, of Orange Township, this county, with whom he was engaged one year. He then returned to his father's home and lived there until 1871, when he began dealing in horses to some extent, and obtained the contract for building the stone work of the Wilson bridge across Little Fishing creek, which he constructed. He then rented a farm in Mount Pleasant Township, this county, which he carried on until 1875, when he removed to Millville and commenced in the livery business, and established the first stage line from Millville to Bloomsburg. It was thought at that time that this stage line would not pay, but he made the business remunerative, and it is so to this date. He closed out this business in the spring of 1880, selling out to Humphrey PARKER, and then came to Mordansville and helped his father operate the mill until the following spring, when he bought the mill. He then added new machinery and in the spring of 1886 enlarged the mill by the erection of an addition. He carried on the business alone until 1883, when M. J. ELDER obtained an interest in the operation of the mill, and the firm remained SANDS & J. ELDER until the spring of 1886, when William R. HAGENBUCH obtained an interest, and the style of the firm is now C. L. SANDS & CO. The capacity has been incresased, since Mr. SANDS bought the mill, from 6,000 to 25,000 pounds. Mr. SANDS was married in this county May 13, 1871, to Miss Mary ZEIGLER, a native of the county and daughter of Daniel and Catherine ZEIGLER, both deceased and buried in the Canby graveyard, Mount Pleasant Township, this county. Mr. and Mrs. SANDS are parents of three children: Elizabeth Maude, Maggie Alverda and Joseph E. Besides the woolen-mill interests, Mr. SANDS is also engaged in farming, having land aggregating 162 acres in Mount Pleasant Township, on which he carries on farming. He is justice of the peace of Mount Pleasant Township, having been elected in the spring of 1884. He was one of the vice-presidents of the Columbia County Agricultural, Horticultural and Mechanical Association from the spring of 1881 to that of 1886. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 519)

James P. SANDS, merchant and postmaster, Mordansville, was born in Greenwood Township, this county, October 24, 1854, and made his home with his parents until his marriage, which took place December 20, 1877. He received his education in the public schools of Mount Pleasant Township and at the Greenwood Seminary, Millville. When a boy he assisted his father in the woolen-mill and store and learned the trade in the mill. In 1875 his father gave him an interest in the store and the firm was J. E. SANDS & Son until November, 1879, when James P. bought the interest of his father and conducted the business alone until August 14, 1883, when he sold an interest to Howard E. EVES, and the firm was SANDS & EVES until March 19, 1886, when Mr. SANDS bought the holding of his partner and has since conducted the business alone. In September, 1886, he commenced the erection of a new building for a store and residence, 27x40 feet in ground area and two stories in height. He carries a complete line of general merchandise, his stock being valued at about $4,000. He was commissioned postmaster at Mordansville by Marshall JEWELL, postmaster, in December, 1875. He is at present connected with the schools of Mount Pleasant as director, and has also held the position as auditor of the Columbia County Agricultural, Horticultural and Mechanical Association. He was married in this county to Miss Susan A. EVES, a native of this county, daughter of Benjamin K. and Mary W. (WELLIVER) EVES, both natives of this county, former of whom died in this county in June, 1879, and is buried in the Friends burying-ground, at Millville; later resides with a sister at Williamsport, Penn. Mr. and Mrs. SANDS are the parents of four children, three now living: Justin Earl, George Eves and Mary Esther. Mildred Lucy is deceased. Mr. and Mrs. SANDS are members of the Society of Friends. He is a member of Oriental Lodge, No. 460, A. F. & A. M., at Orangeville, and has held the office of Junior Warden. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 520)

JOHN H. WOLF, farmer, P. O. Bloomsburg, was born in Bucheneu, Hesse Darmstadt, Germany, May 23, 1827, son of Henry and Magdelina (SCHEN) WOLF, former of whom followed farming in his native land until coming to this country. John H. was reared to farm life, and became agent for a wine house, in whose interest he traveled through a number of German States and into France. In 1851 some young friends of his came to America, and located at Hazleton, Penn., and as they wrote back favorable accounts of the country, our subject was induced to make up his mind to try his fortunes in the New World. He had received a good education at home in his native town, going as far as the course of the normal school in Bloomsburg. In 1853 he went to Bremen in company with friends and relatives, and there taking a farewell leave of those he had known during his youth, he took passage on a sailing vessel bound for New York, which he reached after a tedious voyage of fifty-eight days, there being little or no wind. Arriving at the Empire City, he went directly to Luzerne County, where he was engaged in the mines for six years, and then came to Montour County; here he bought a farm of forty acres in West Hemlock Township, where he remained, farming the place until 1871, when he moved to the old PAXTON place of 148 acres in Mount Pleasant Township, which he bought in 1881, and here now resides. He was married at Hazleton, Luzerne County, in 1854, to Miss Louisa HECK, a native of Diedenshausyn, Hesse Darmstadt, Germany, and a daughter of Michael and Catherine HECK. She came to this country on the same ship with Mr. WOLF. Mr. and Mrs. WOLF are the parents of nine children: John J., married to Willetta BRUMSTETLER, living in Mount Pleasant Township, this county (he is a graduate of the State Normal at Bloomsburg); Henry C., married to Mary SHIVE, in Bloomsburg; William; Otto; Frank; Kate, married to Isaiah HOWELL, in Mount Pleasant Township, this county; Mary; Lizzie and Lillie. Mr. and Mr. WOLF are members of the Lutheran Church. He is supervisor of Mount Pleasant Township. He takes an active interest in public affairs, and has held some official position almost since coming to this country. He was seventeen years in the church council, and a short time after coming to this country was elected school director, to which he refused a re-election after holding the position eight years, and in 1885 was elected to his present position. He is a member of Light Street Grange, No. 31, P. of H. Mr. WOLF's mother died in the December following his departure for America, and in 1857 his father came to this country and located in Luzerne County. He died at Filmore, Carbon County, in 1884.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 521)

Back to

COLUMBIA COUNTY BIOS

MONTOUR COUNTY BIOS

SOME OTHER BIOGRAPHIES

HISTORY OF COLUMBIA COUNTY

HISTORY OF MONTOUR COUNTY

 
 

 
MY FILE CABINET
FAMILY LINES
JOWEST