COLUMBIA COUNTY, PA BIOGRAPHIES

Page 2
FISHING CREEK TOWNSHIP

From "The History of Columbia and Mountour Counties"
Battle, 1887


 
ELIAS M. LAUBACH, farmer and pump manufacturer, P. O. Forks, is a grandson of Peter LAUBACH, who resided near Easton, Northampton Co., Penn. He immigrated to Columbia County and settled near Light Street, in Scott Township, locating near what is known as Pealertown. He died in 1840, aged eighty-six years. His wife was Elizabeth STETLER, who died eight years after her husband. Peter LAUBACH was a cooper by trade, and in the latter part of his life devoted his time entirely to farming. He and his wife were consistent members of the Presbyterian Church, and the parents of five children: Jacob, Lydia and George, deceased, and one who died in infancy; John is the only one now living. George was the father of our subject and was born in Scott Township in 1804, and died March 24, 1852, aged forty-seven years and eleven months. He was a carpenter, and also owned a small farm in Fishingcreek, where he lived until his death. He was an esteemed citizen and took a deep interest in public affairs, and held nearly every township office. He was temperate and pious and a member of the Christian Church. His comparatively early death was mourned, not only by his family, but by the entire community. He married, in 1826, Miss Elizabeth McHENRY, daughter of Daniel McHENRY of this township. She died March 6, 1883, a consistent member of the Christian Church. Their children were Mary, wife of Geo. GEARHART, living in Huntington Township, Luzerne County; Sarah Ann, wife of A. W. PATTERSON, of Berwick; John C., married to Sarah EVELAND, and living in Luzerne County; Anjaline, wife of W. W. MILLER, of Shickshinny; Elias M., the eldest. Our subject was born November 14, 1828, in this township, and worked at the carpenter trade until 1857. He then gave it up to engage in pump-making, which he still follows, and also owned a farm, to which he added as opportunity offered. In 1883 he bought the farm of Ed. HULL, across Huntington Creek from Forks, which he has since made his home. may 27, 1852, he married Miss Savilla, daughter of Daniel and Catherine PEALER, both now deceased. She was born February 14, 1825, and bore her husband two children: Mary Catherine, born April 21, 1855 married Mary 23, 1883, to Nevin ALE, and resides on her father's farm at Pealertown, and Alice Elizabeth, born March 21, 1857, and married January 27, 1881, to William B. PENNINGTON; they live with her parents. Mr. LAUBACH is held in high esteem by his neighbors, and he and wife are members of the Reformed Church. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties, Pennsylvania, 1887, Battle, Fishingcreek Township pg. 446)

ABIJAH LEWIS, farmer and merchant, P. O. Forks, is a son of Isaac LEWIS, who was a farmer and lumberman in the State of Maine, where he was born. He followed these occupations in Maine and other eastern States many years, lumbering principally on the Penobscot, where he had a large hotel and farm. About 1848 he moved to Bethlehem, Penn., and engaged in lumbering on the Lehigh, near Stoddartsville, where he kept store and finally settled in Gouldsborough, Lackawanna County, where he still resides and is now about eighty-four years of age. He has been three times married; his second wife, Sarah WOODSOME, was the mother of our subject. She was born in Maine and died at Stoddartsville, Penn., about thirty years ago, leaving three sons and three daughters, all of whom are still living, except Olive, who died young. The others are Christiana, wife of David PERKINS, in Wyoming, Luzerne County; Elmira, wife of L. W. HOLBROOK, of Stoudsburg; Isaac, who lives in East Rockaway, N. Y.; Charles W., at Pittston, and Abijah, who is the eldest of the sons. He was born in Maine, on the Kennebec River, April 29, 1832, and was sixteen years of age when his parents came to this State. He remained with his father assisting him in his farming and lumbering until he was thirty years of age. He then married, May 22, 1862, Miss Mary, daughter of Henry G. DAGGERS of Brooklyn, N. Y., where Mrs. LEWIS was born March 20, 1840; he then went to work on Bloomsburg division of the D. L. & W. R. R., and was engaged with that company four years, and was also engaged during that time in buying and shipping produce. The latter business he later devoted himself to exclusively, resigning his position on the road, for eighteen years and for the last sixteen years has been engaged in Bloomsburg. At that time he bought the farm where he now resides and in the spring of 1886 opened the store at Pealertown, which he still conducts with the aid of his family. To Mr. and Mrs. LEWIS three children were born; Charles H., the second child died when in his thirteenth month; William Edgar, born March 17, 1863, resides in Orangeville engaged in the bakery business, and Lizzie B., born September 17, 1870, at home with her parents. Mr. and Mrs. LEWIS are members of the Protestant Episcopal Church at Bloomsburg. He does not take much interest I politics but votes the Republican ticket. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties, Pennsylvania, 1887, Battle, Fishingcreek Township pg. 446-447)

GEORGE L. LINES, farmer, P. O. Fishingcreek, is a grandson of Coonrad LINES, who was a native of Connecticut, whence he emigrated to Pennsylvania after the Revolution, in which he had been a soldier. He took up a large tract of land in Luzerne County, including two islands in the Susquehanna below Shickshinny, called the Bald Eagle Islands, and 120 acres on the opposite side of the river in what is now Conynghan Township. On first coming to this part of the country he lived in Luzerne county and after buying the farm built a tannery, having learned the trade in his old home. He died at an advanced age. His wife was of German extraction, her name being Sarah SCHLUTTE, a sister of the general of that name who fought in the war of 1812. She died about fifteen years after her husband. On his mother's side Mr. LINES is a grandson of Abraham and Sally COURTWRIGHT who were members of the Massachusetts family of that name, and this family are the legitimate heirs of the great English estate of that name which has been accumulating for a long period. Coonrad and his wife had a large family, all of whom are now deceased. Their names were as follows: John, Peter, James, Coonrad, Martin, Maria and Sarah. Martin was the father of our subject and was born on the farm in Luzerne County, where he lived until his death, in 1838, in the thirty-third year of his age. He learned the carpenter's trade, at which he worked until after his marriage, but some years before his death he became a farmer. He had a genius for working in wood and in the possession of Mr. LINES is a small chair with turned legs and posts which he made when seventeen years of age. He married in 1827, Ellen COURTWRIGHT, a daughter of Abraham and Sallie COURTWRIGHT, and the following children blessed their union: Clara, the widow of Hiram BERLIN, of Salem Township, Luzerne County; Sallie C., wife of John DAVIS of Wilkesbarre; Huldah, wife of William WRIDALL in Nebraska; Jane, wife of Minor D. HARRISON, in Huntington Township, Luzerne county; and George L., who is the third child. After her husband's death Mrs. LINES married Jared HARRISON of Huntington Township, and both are now deceased; they had one child, Adaline, who is the wife of Rush M. FINK, of Luzerne County. Our subject was born October 30, 1832, and when eighteen years of age learned the trade of a carpenter, which he followed for fifteen years. He then began farming, and, in 1866, bought the place where he now resides, and to which he removed in November of that year. May 6, 1855, he married Ann BRITTAIN, who was born May 11, 1828, and who died September 9, 1964. She had tow children, Sarah Ellen, born February 20, 1858, died September 12, 1861, and Clara Josephine, born June 30, 1861, the wife of Charles EMORY and resides in this township. December 19, 1872, Mr. LINES married Hannah A., daughter of Elias and Charlotte WENNER. She was born May 14, 1851, and is the mother of two children, Martin Elmer, born June 29, 1881, and Ada Maud, born October 13, 1884. Mr. LINES has held the office of school director for seven years. He is a member of Waterton Grange, and a straightforward, honorable man, whose neighbors speak in high terms of his honesty and integrity. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties, Pennsylvania, 1887, Battle, Fishingcreek Township pg. 447)

THE McHENRY FAMILY deserves a prominent place in the history of this part of Columbia County, of which they were truly the pioneers. The ancestors were of Scotch-Irish extraction and the first to settle here were Daniel and Mary. They possessed the characteristics of honesty, industry and thrift, which distinguished that people. They built their cabin on the site now occupied by their grandson, Daniel, and here took up a large tract of land which is yet in the possession of their descendants. Here they both died. Daniel is buried at St. Gabriel's Church in Sugarloaf, and Mary in the cemetery at Stillwater, which was just opened a short time before her death. Their children were Benjamin, a farmer and lumberman, who died of yellow fever while down the Susquehanna on a raft; Daniel, who resided all his life on a tract across the creek from Stillwater and was a strict religious man of retiring disposition; John was also a farmer and was known in this region as "the old hunter." (He was never known to fail when he started after a deer and record shows that he killed about 2,000 in his lifetime.) Uriah, the next son, a farmer and shoemaker, was an intelligent and well-read man. Moses was born in 1791 and died in 1855; was a farmer, a man of marked religious characteristics, and really the founder of the Christian Church in Stillwater, where he was the first person baptized by immersion; Elias was a farmer, being all his life occupied on the place where he was born; was also a colonel in the old State militia and a stirring active man. All of the family were men of influence, who have transmitted to their descendants the characteristics inherited from their ancestors. Below will be found a record of the prominent members of the family now living in this township. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties, Pennsylvania, 1887, Battle, Fishingcreek Township pg. 447-448)

DANIEL McHENRY, farmer and lumberman, P. O. Stillwater, is now the representative head of the family. He is a son of Moses, whose wife was Martha, a daughter of James EDGAR. They had eleven children, viz.: Cynthia, wife of Samuel McHENRY of Benton Township; Isabella, deceased wife of Tunis KARNS; Elias, living in Benton; Mary, widow of Samuel AMMERMAN, of Benton; James, living in Cambria, Luzerne County; John J., in Benton; Ellen, wife of John EVANS of Madisonville, Luzerne County; Martha, widow of Hiram B. McHENRY of this township; Cyrus b. (see sketch); Silas, who died in June, 1886, and Daniel. Our subject was born may 15, 1827, and when in his twentieth year, in company with his brother, James, opened the first store in Stillwater. At the end of five years he bought his brother's interest and conducted the store alone for fifteen years. During that time he bought a part of the farm of his uncle Elias, and some land adjoining from William IKELER. Later he bought ninety acres more of his uncle's land and other additions give him a farm of over 200 acres besides 140 acres of woodland. He has been an active man, in addition to farming, engaging extensively in lumbering, and operating mills for more than twenty years. In partnership with his son, Orvis Dell, he is still engaged in that business. In 1854 he was appointed postmaster under President Pierce, and has since held that position. September 30, 1867, he was appointed by the Secretary of the Treasury, Hugh McCULLOCH, assistant assessor for Division No. 5, of the Thirteenth Internal Revenue Collection District, and held that position until the district was consolidated. In 1862 he was elected county treasurer and served three years and has also held many minor positions. In 1876 he built a fine residence on the site of the original cabin, and in digging for foundations, found the remains of the old house, besides several relics of the past. November 17, 1859, Mr. McHENRY married Mary A., daughter of James Deimer McHENRY, and two children blessed their union: Orvis Dell, born November 17, 1861, is a graduate of Lafayette College, Easton, and his father's partner in business; is a young man of excellent repute; and May, born March 17, 1867, a graduate of the Moravian Seminary at Bethlehem. Mr. and Mrs. McHENRY are members of the Christian Church. A man of mark in the community, through-going in business, he exercises a wide influence, and has the respect of all. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties, Pennsylvania, 1887, Battle, Fishingcreek Township pg. 448)

CYRUS B. McHENRY, farmer, P. O. Stillwater, is a brother of the above, and was born November 3, 1830, on the homestead, where he remained until his marriage. He then moved to the place where he now resides, which was a part of the original tract and on which he built a large and well constructed house, arranged with every convenience. In 1880 he built a barn which is a model of its kind and is probably the best in the valley, and is built in the most through manner. He has also added to his farm by buying the remaining twenty-seven acres belonging to his uncle, Elias, now all owned by himself and Daniel. He has also been engaged in lumbering and has been successful in both occupations. December 28, 1852, he married Priscilla, daughter of John COWENHOVEN of Orangeville; she was born February 23, 1830, and to their union have been born the following named children: Oliver, born March 20, 1854, died August 4, 1873; Lilly B., born February 18, 1859, wife of H. B. LOW of Orangeville, and William L., born February 18, 1864, is married and resides with his parents. Mr. McHENRY takes much interest in politics, but rarely holds any except honorary positions. He is a man of unexceptionable manners and habits, and a leading member of the Christian Church, of which he has been an elder for twenty-five years. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties, Pennsylvania, 1887, Battle, Fishingcreek Township pg. 448)

STOTT E. McHENRY, farmer, Stillwater, is a grandson of Benjamin McHENRY, who died of yellow fever, and of whom mention is made in the sketch of the McHENRY family. His wife was named Elizabeth and they had six children, viz.: Daniel; James Deimer, now deceased; Martha, widow of Peter GOLDER of Columbia county; Elizabeth, widow of Thomas DAVIS of Greenwood Township; Maria, deceased wife of Isaac KLINE; Sarah Ann was twice married, first to Mr. WINTERSTEEN, after his death to Mr. LYONS, and died in Greenwood. James Deimer was the father of Stott E., and was born on the farm which is now owned by his son, November 30, 1803, and died July 19, 1883. His wife was Rachel, daughter of Alex. CULLEY. She was born may 19, 1811, and died may 9, 1885. Their children were Alexander, living in Benton, who married Elizabeth BUCKALEW, now deceased; Hiram married Martha McHENRY and died suddenly; Mary Ann, wife of Daniel McHENRY (see above); Elizabeth, wife of Moses McHENRY (also noticed above); Benjamin Franklin married Maria HAYS of Indiana, and is a professor in Merom College; Rebecca Margaret married Smith KIMBAL and died in Williamsport; Emma, wife of John V. McHENRY, of Stillwater; Almira, wife of Silas McHENRY; Sarah Ellen, wife of William E. EDGAR, of this township; Cecelia Alice, wife of T. Hardy Edgar, also of this township, and Stott E. Our subject is the third child and was born January 23, 1831, and has always resided at the place of his birth. Until his marriage he lived with his father and, on the latter's death, inherited the old homestead, where he now resides. November 26, 1868, he married Annie, daughter of Rev. E. B. and Lucinda WILSON, both of whom are now deceased. He was a minister of the Reformed Church of the Orangeville charge. Mrs. McHENRY was born August 12, 1848, in Washingtonville, Montour County. They have had six children, as follows: Miriam Rosalie, born June 18, 1871; Percy Marion, born November 23, 1875; Daisy Tessora, born September 26, 1881; Carroll Leon, born November 23, 1883, all living; Darcy 1886. MR. McHENRY is a good farmer and a man of independent and straightforward character, commanding the respect of his neighbors. With a fine family growing up around him he is happy in his circumstances and looks carefully after their interests. Mrs. McHENRY and children are members of the Reformed Church. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties, Pennsylvania, 1887, Battle, Fishingcreek Township pg. 448-449)

JOSEPH F. McHENRY, merchant, Stillwater, is a son of Daniel and Mary (COLEMAN) McHENRY. His father was the second son of the founder of the family, and was born March 27, 1783, and died on the seventy-ninth anniversary of his birth. His wife was born in 1792 and died October 12, 1865. They had eleven children, as follows: Benjamin, in Benton Township; William, in Dushore; Moses, in Beaver Township; Uriah P., in Millville; Elizabeth was the wife of Geo. LAUBACH, and both are now deceased; Sarah married James EDGAR, and both are now deceased; Mary, widow of Elisha ALBATSON, and resides in Greenwood township; Adeline, wife of Thomas PEALER and resides in Renova, Clinton County; Martha, wife of Jacob C. CAREY, and lives in Cambria; Charlotte, wife of Geo. LAUBACH, of Orangeville, and Joseph F. Our subject is the youngest son and was born March 28, 1831, on the farm of his father, across the creek from Stillwater, on the place now owned by J. S. WOODS. He worked on the farm until he was eighteen years of age, when he began learning the trade of a carpenter and served an apprenticeship of three years. May 4, 1869, he opened a store on the opposite side of the street to where he now keeps and there remained about six years. He then built the new store which he has since occupied. During that time he built several houses in the village of Stillwater. He also dealt largely in lumber in addition to his merchandising. He, for many years, when timber was plentiful, operated a mill, but now has his lumber sawed for him. November 7, 1853, he married Miss Almira STUCKER, and three children blessed their union: Ella C. born April 2, 1856, now the wife of Oscar D. HAGENBUCH, residing in one of her father's houses in Stillwater; Laura Delphine, who died when about eighteen months old, and Eva D., born December 12, 1868, resides with her parents. She has been attending the young ladies' seminary at Millville and also at Orangeville. Mr. McHENRY has held several township offices and is now its treasurer. He owns several pieces of land and lots in Stillwater Village, but his time is mainly taken up with his store and lumber business. He built for himself a fine residence opposite his store and is very comfortably situated. He and Mrs. McHENRY and all his family are members of the Christian Church, and he is looked on by his fellow men as a good citizen. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties, Pennsylvania, 1887, Battle, Fishingcreek Township pg. 449)

MOSES McHENRY, merchant, Stillwater, is a grandson of John, the "old hunter," and Helena CUTTER, his wife, who had ten children, viz.: Jennie, who married Joseph LEMMONS and after his death Amos Ellis; Elizabeth, wife of Lorenzo MENDENHALL; Samuel, father of Moses; Stephen and Ephraim, all now deceased; the living are Matthew, in Jackson Township; John, Rhohr and Maria (widow of Thomas HESS). All live in Benton, and Sally (widow of Thomas YOUNG) resides in Jackson Township. Samuel C., the father of Moses, was born in Benton in 1808, and on his marriage removed to Jackson; thence to Benton in 1842, to a farm which he received from his father, cutting down the woods to make room for his house. This farm he cleared and lived on until his death, January 19, 1880. He was an industrious man and also inherited his father'' love for hunting. Notwithstanding that he paid a large sum of bail money for others, he accumulated a good property, leaving three farms paid for at his death. He was a plain man, a captain in the militia service and a member of the Christian Church. For a number of years after returning to Benton he kept a hotel, called the "Hunter's Home," which he gave up later in life. He married, in 1828, Miss Cynthia McHENRY, who resides on the homestead in Benton. They had seven children: Eli, married Sarah YOUNG, of Benton; John V., married first to Martha STOCKER, and after her death to Emily McHENRY; James M., now married to Catherine HESS, in Benton; Benjamin Franklin, who died when a child; Martha, also died young; Sarah is the wife of Theo. LEWIS and resides in Benton, and Moses (subject), who is the second son and was born October 7, 1832, in Jackson Township. In 1854 he went to Stillwater and clerked for his uncle, Daniel, who then kept a store and a hotel in that place. After working for him for five years he became his partner in both hotel and store, which relationship continued some three years. They then dissolved, and until February, 1865, our subject worked for his uncle, when a partnership was again formed, which lasted until 1876, when he bought the real estate and divided the goods, gradually closing out. He remained out of business until 1878 when he built the store in which he has carried on the business since in partnership with his brother. June 14, 1866, he married Elizabeth McHENRY, a distant cousin. They have two children; James Gaylord, now in his nineteenth year, who assists his father in the store, and Bertha Leah, now in her tenth year. In February, 1886, Mr. McHENRY was for the third consecutive time elected justice of the peace, and has been acting postmaster for his uncle Daniel almost ever since he came to Stillwater. He and his wife are members of the Christian Church, and he has the reputation of being a careful and upright business man. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties, Pennsylvania, 1887, Battle, Fishingcreek Township pg. 449)

WILLIAM MEARS, retired, Fishingcreek, is a grandson of John MEARS, who emigrated from England early in the last century, and during the Revolutionary war was a captain in the patriot army. After the war he located in Catawissa, and being a physician, engaged in the practice of his profession. He was among the first settlers of that part of the county, and died in 1818. His wife was a member of the Society of Friends. They had three sons and one daughter, all now deceased. The youngest son was Jesse, the father of our subject, and was born in Catawissa about the time of the Revolution and died about 1837. During the war of 1812 he was a soldier in the American Army. He was a cabinet-maker, but a few years before his death he gave up that trade and devoted himself to teaching school, being a well educated man. His wife, Leah BENN, was born in New Jersey and died in 1827, the mother of four children, all of whom attained maturity: Lydia, widow of Elijah HOWE, died at Harrisburg; John, died at Milton; Jaajerum, who was in the Mexican war and died in that country, and William, who is the sole survivor of the family. Our subject was born October 16, 1812, and when he was fifteen years old his mother died. He worked by the month until he was seventeen, when he learned the trade of a wagon-maker at Catawissa with Joseph HAYHURST, remaining there until he was twenty-one. He then started afoot to Ohio, working on the way, stopping at Little Sandusky; thence to Lower Sandusky, and thence to Perrysburg, on the Maumee River. He returned as far as Cleveland, and thence to Euclid, where he obtained work; thence to Franklin, Penn., where he remained a week, and thence back to Catawissa. He was then employed on the Shamokin Railroad as overseer, but was taken sick and obliged to return home. Later he worked six months at Foundryville, and then with the engineer corp on the Catawissa Railroad for nearly three years, saving his meager salary $450, which he put out at interest, and which gave him a start in the world. Coming to Orangeville, he went into partnership with his brother in the harness-making business for three years, and then carried on that business alone for nineteen years, saving $6,500. While thus engaged he also operated a tannery for seven years, using his own leather in harness. He then bought a farm of 220 acres, which he now owns, near Jonestown, and on which he resided nineteen years, engaged in farming and lumbering, having a saw-mill on his property. Later he bought another farm, on Chillisquaque creek, which he owned twelve years, selling it for $6,558, and subsequently bought from John MERRILL a half-interest in the grist-mill at Jonestown; later bought a quarter-interest and thus owned three-quarters until 1877, when he sold one-fourth. In 1882 he disposed of the rest and has since been retired. In the latter year he bought another farm of eighty acres, which he still owns, together with the fine property in the village of Jonestown, where he resides. In 1838 he married Anna Matilda KELCHNER, who died in 1857, leaving four children; Lydia, wife of Peter J. WEAVER, of this township; Mary, wife of John MERRILL, of Kansas; Leonora, wife of Jesse RUNYAN, of this township, and Camden, who resides in Bloomsburg. In 1858 Mr. MEARS married Mrs. Mary ABBOTT, widow of William ABBOTT, and who was a daughter of Jacob NOGGLE, of Centre Township. She was born October 4, 1822, and by her first husband had six children, three of whom are now living: Margaret, wife of Wesley EVELAND, of Jonestown; Jesse, married Norah MEARS, and Tilman Runyan, married to Ida KINGSBURY, in this township. By his second marriage, Mr. MEARS had six children, three of whom are living: Matilda, wife of Jonathan DODSON, in Mansfield, Ohio; William, at home, and Valerie, wife of Losson McHENRY, living on her father's farm. May 13, 1878, Mr. MEARS started on a trip west, visiting points in Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, Kansas, Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska; also crossed over to Canada and visited Niagra Falls. Mr. MEARS has never had a lawsuit or been on the stand as a witness, and has never held any office, except that of overseer of the poor. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, Jonestown, of which he is one of the chief supporters, and in which he has served as elder, trustee and steward. Politically he is a Republican. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties, Pennsylvania, 1887, Battle, Fishingcreek Township pg. 450)

CHARLES H. MOORE, merchant, Van Camp, is a son of N. Patterson MOORE, of Buckhorn, Hemlock Township, under whose name appears a history of the ancestor of the family. Charles H. was born February 15, 1861, in Benton Township. He remained at home until he was twenty years of age, working at wagon-making in summer and teaching school in winter. He then moved to Shickshinny, where he was principal of the schools of the borough, which position he held for a year. He then sold books for one summer, and the following fall went to Catawissa, where he taught one year. He then gave up the profession on account of failing health, and moving to Van Camp engaged in mercantile business in the store of George M. HOWELL. August 16, 1883, he married Miss Deborah, daughter of Geo. M. HOWELL, and two children have blessed their union: George Howell, born November 5, 1884, and Paul Willet, born November 23, 1886. Mr. MOORE is assistant superintendent of the Sabbath-school and also teacher of the Bible class; is treasurer of the school and leader of the church choir. He is a young man of correct habits and good character, and has the respect and esteem of all who know him. He is a graduate of the Sixth District Normal School, a member of the class of 1879. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties, Pennsylvania, 1887, Battle, Fishingcreek Township pg. 450)

Samuel J. PEALER, surveyor and engineer, P. O. Forks, is of German and English descent. His grandfather, Paul PEALER, lived in Berks County; was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, in the Continental army, and after the close of that struggle returned to Berks County, where he died. His son, Samuel, father of our subject, was born at Reading in 1787, and died in Iowa in 1854. He was a millwright, and in early life settled in this county, where he bought a large tract of land near Jonestown, on which he erected a mill. He also engaged in farming, but some years before his death gave his farm to his eldest son. He then bought a small place in this township on which his wife died, and while visiting his daughter in Iowa, he himself died. In politics he was first a Democrat, then a follower of Henry Clay, and later a Republican. To him and his wife, nee Mary SHEIDY, of Luzerne County, Penn., were born the following named children: Paul, deceased (four of his sons entered the army in the war of the Rebellion; Isaac K., who enlisted in 1861 in the First New York Dragoons, was shot in the forehead at the battle of Cold harbor, and died instantly; S. L., who also enlisted in 18861 in the First New York Dragoons, was shot dead through the temple at the engagement at Winchester; Frank A. enlisted in Company F, Two Hundred and Ninth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and was shot through the thigh at Bermuda Hundred; S. F. was orderly sergeant of Company A., One Hundred and Ninety-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry); Peter, in this township (his son Oscar enlisted in the war of the rebellion in Company F, Two Hundred and Ninth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, was taken prisoner at Bermuda Hundred, and was starved to death in Salisbury prison, N. C.); David, in Wyoming, Iowa (was mustered into the United States service July 22, 1861, by Maj. Wood, United States Army, at Lafayette, Ind., in Company E, Twentieth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and participated in the following engagements: Flood, Hatteras Inlet, November 2, 1861; fight between Monitor and Merrimac March 8 and 9, 1862; seven days' battles before Richmond; battle near Fair Oaks June 19, 1862; battle of Orchards June 25, 1862; Glendale June 30, 1862; Malvern Hill July 1, 1862; second battle of Bull Run August 29 and 30, 1862; Chantilly September 1, 1862; Fredericksburg December 11, 12, 13, 1862; Cedars May 1, 2, 1863; Gettysburg July 2, 3, and 4, 1863; Manassas Gap July 23, 1863, from which date he continued with the Army of the Potomac, same regiment, sharing in its arduous duties to the close of the war, having received during the time three light wounds. He participated in the battles of Petersburg, etc., up to the surrender of Lee's army, and was mustered out at Arlington Heights in June, 1865); Levi, in this township; George died young; Mary, widow of Jacob BENDER, in Iowa; Catherine, wife of Robert McCALMONT, in Iowa; Barbara, died in that State; Elizabeth, widow of John BEISHLINE, in this township; Savilla, died unmarried; Margaret, deceased wife of Peter EVELARD of this township, and Samuel J. The subject of this sketch was born January 18, 1833, and remained with his parents until his father's death, when he moved to Asbury and lived with his sister Margaret. He was educated at the common schools and at New Columbus and Lancaster, and at the age of sixteen became a teacher. Two years later he took up field work under the late William BUCKALEW, and was three years on government work in Minnesota. In July, 1863, he was commissioned second lieutenant of Capt. R. F. CLARK's company of emergency men when the State was invaded In 1864 he also did considerable special duty by and under orders of Maj.-Gens. CADWALLADER and COUCH, also by and under orders of Gen. Charles ALBRIGHT He enlisted in Company E, Two Hundred and Ninth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and shortly after was detailed as a recruiting officer, and served in the judge advocate's office with the rank of second lieutenant. He recruited three companies and was made captain of one, Company A, Seventy-fourth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, which he joined at Spring Run, Va. He was later elected major, receiving twenty-four votes out of a possible twenty-seven. At the close of the war he returned to Asbury, taught school and engaged in surveying and civil engineering. He is now in the employ of the Pennsylvania Coal Company, and has done the chief work and mine engineering for the Salem Coal Company. January 18, 1862, he married Samantha C., daughter of Cornelius COLEMAN of Asbury, who was born March 19, 1838. They have eight children: Alice M., wife of Ezra A CHAPMAN, in Huntington Township, Luzerne County; Lizzie C., wife of George VANLIEW; Stuart died at the age of two years; Woodin W.; Ella Eva; Robert Samuel; Charles Revere and Blanche Florence. Mr. PEALER takes a warm interest in politics and votes the Republian ticket. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Mountain Lodge, No. 164, Orangeville. He and Mrs. PEALER are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Asbury, and he is recording steward of the Orangeville charge. For eight years he was superintendent of the Sabbath-school, which position he resigned, but is now assistant superintendent and teacher.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties, Pennsylvania, 1887, Battle, Fishingcreek Township pg. 451)

Russel R. PEALER, circuit judge, Three Rivers, Mich., was born January 1, 1842, in Greenwood Township, Columbia County, a son of George and Rebecca (HAMPTON) PEALER (former now residing at Asbury, Columbia Co., Penn.; the latter deceased); was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools, the New Columbus Normal School and Orangeville Academy. He first left home to attend school in February, 1859, taking his provisions, bed and furniture on a sled to New Columbus, where he rented a room and boarded himself all through the school course, except when in good weather he would walk to and from home a distance of about five miles, which he many times did, studying as he wended his way. He taught school at intervals in order to obtain money whereby to defray his expenses: the Asbury school two winters, and the Light Street High School in the summer of 1861; then returned to school at Orangeville, which he left the following fall to enter the army. While at his studies as a boy our subject was a close, hard-working scholar, conscientious and unceasing in his application to his books, and the characteristics he carried with him into early manhood, the traits of which he owes to a precious mother and a kind father. Judge PEALER enlisted during the war of the Rebellion on September 9, 1862, in Company E, Sixteenth Pennsylvania Cavalry, and during a period of three years was promoted from time to time to rank of non-commissioned officer of his company, and on September 21, 1864, an order, of which the following is a copy, was made:

Special Order No. 61.
Headquarters Sixteenth Pennsylvania Cavalry,
September 21, 1864.
II. Second Sergt. Russel R. PEALER, Company E, for meritorious conduct as a soldier and as acting sergeant-major, is promoted to sergeant-major Sixteenth Pennsylvania Cavalry, and will be obeyed and respected as such. To date from September 1, 1864.
By command of
J. K. ROBISON
Lieut.-Col. Sixteenth Penn. Cavalry,
Commanding regiment.
Samuel E. CORMANY,
Lieutenant and Acting Adjutant.

After this he served as adjutant, and did considerable staff duty. November 30, 1864, he was commissioned second lieutenant of his company, and April 1, 1865, was promoted to first lieutenant, afterward commanding a company most of the time. July 24, 1865, he was assigned by a special order to the command of Companies E. and I, which command he held until mustered out. The judge was in over thirty cavalry engagements and was twice wounded in action while in command of a battalion at the battle of Hatcher's Run, Va., February 6, 1865. He was present at the battles of Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Wilderness, Cold Harbor, and many of the engagements about Petersburg; was discharged with the regiment at Richmond, August 11, 1865; returned home and commenced reading law, September 3, 1865, with Robert F. CLARK, then the leading lawyer of the county, and was admitted to the bar September 3, 1867. Judge PEALER soon after moved to Three Rivers, Mich., and there located November 12, 1867, and has since been engaged in the practice of his profession. He has held various municipal and local offices; twice circuit court commissioner; twice prosecuting attorney. In April, 1881, he was elected circuit judge of the Fifteenth Judicial Circuit of Michigan for a term of six years, and is now on the bench. He is president of the First National Bank of Three Rivers. His parents being members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, the Judge early in life became a member of the same denomination. In politics he is a stanch republican. The boy, student, teacher, soldier, attorney and judge has accumulated handsome and valuable properties in the town where he resides, together with excellent farms adjoining. The judge enjoys good health, although he suffers severely at times from a wound received in the leg while in action. He also has a distinct and vivid recollection of the real existence of the noted Fishingcreek confederacy, and says that his generous and able law preceptor, Robert F. CLARK, took a very active part in summoning and hastening the "boys in blue" to the banks of the beautiful and famous trout stream, to suppress it (the Confederacy). (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle - 1887, Fishingcreek Township pg. 451)

George H. PENNINGTON, blacksmith, Fishingcreek Township, P. O. Van Camp, was born June 30, 1854, and is great-grandson of Jesse PENNINGTON, who was a native of New Jersey and later a resident of Sullivan County, Penn., where he died about twenty-six years ago. His wife, Rebecca, died about ten years since. Their sons were Jonathan, Jesse, Edmund, John, all of whom are living except Edmund. Jonathan is the grandfather of our subject, and was born in Sullivan county on the banks of Fishing creek, on the farm which his father had cleared. He married, when about twenty-one years of age, and bought a farm at Fairmount, Luzerne County, which he cleared and where his family were reared. There he has since resided and is now eighty-four years old. His wife, Phoebe TUBBS, died in 1881, aged seventy-eight. They had five sons and three daughters: Nathan T., Jesse, James, John, Alexander R., Sallie, Mary and Lola. Nathan T. was the father of our subject and followed balcksmithing until 1864. He then enlisted in the Sixteenth Pennsylvania Cavalry and was wounded at Five Forks, Va., after the surrender of Gen. Lee, and died at Carna Hospital, Washington, three weeks later. He was a partner in the store at Van Camp until his death. His body was interred at St. James' Reformed Church Cemetery at Van Camp. In 1849 he married Mary, daughter of Samuel YOST, and seven children blessed their union; Wilbur C. and William R. (twins), both residing in this township; Samuel YOST, in Catawissa; Ellen, Jesse, and one who died in infancy. George H. is the third son and lived with his mother until he was seventeen years of age, when he began to learn the blacksmith's trade with Wilson MEYERS, in Benton Township, serving an apprenticeship of four years. He has since worked at the trade in different places, but is now located at Bendertown, this township. May 1, 1877, he married Catherine M., daughter of J. D. McHENRY, Jr. She was born October 17, 1856, in Benton, and has borne her husband two children: Mary D., born June 14, 1878, and Marvin Alfred, born March 19, 1883. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle - 1887, Fishingcreek Township pg. 452)

William S. PENNYPACKER, miller, Fishingcreek, is a son of John B. PENNYPACKER, a farmer in East Coventry, Chester Co., Penn. The latter was reared in Montgomery County, and learned the trade of a blacksmith in Chester County, working at it until he was of middle age, when he gave it up and began farming a place he had bought in that county. A few years ago he sold his farm and retired to a small place which he owns, in East Coventry Township, Chester county. He was born March 31, 1821, and is an active and vigorous citizen. His wife, Mary A. STETLER, was born in Montgomery County, and is yet living. They have four children: Sylvester S., in Philadelphia, engaged in the milk business; John S., in a needle factory, in East Coventry; Sallie S., with her parents, and our subject. William S. PENNYPACKER was born August 6, 1850, and when twelve years old engaged as a clerk in a store at Earlville, remaining two years; thence moved to Pottstown, where he worked in a grocery a year. He then worked at the confectionery and bakery business for two years, going thence to learn the trade of milling, which he followed in various places for a couple of years. In 1875 he came to Jonestown, and worked in the grist-mill for five years, and then operated the mill on shares for a couple of years. He then went to Philadelphia to assist his brother in the milk business, but returned a year later, and again assumed control of the mill, and is now operating it for Messrs. JONES. November 23, 1876, he married Miss Mary A., daughter of Joseph KLINE, of this township. She was born December 24, 1856, and has borne her husband five children: Sallie Blanche, born February 28, 1878; Laney Maud, February 26, 1880; John K., August 27, 1881; Charles Ray, April 5, 1882, and Mary Alvernon, December 29, 1884. Mr. PENNYPACKER takes no active part in political matters but is deeply interested in the Republican party. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle - 1887, Fishingcreek Township pg. 453)

Herman A. SEVISON, practical horseshoer, coachsmith and wagon-smith, Stillwater, is descended from a Holland ancestor, who came to America prior to the Revolution. One of his sons was the grandfather of our subject, and first lived in New Jersey; later came to this State, settling in Snyder County, where his son Michael, father of Herman A., was born. Michael learned the trade of a carpenter, at which he worked until a short time before his death. He was considerable of a traveler, having visited most parts of the United States both before and after his marriage. Seven years of his life were spent in the State of New York. He took contracts to erect buildings, and made considerable money, but his wife being accidentally drowned while he was yet a young man, he went away, and for a long time strove to forget his loss among new scenes. He finally settled in Appanoose County, Iowa, where he remained for five years. He returned to Pennsylvania in 1868, and located in Delaware Township, Northumberland County, with his son, Thomas, with whom he remained five years. He then lived with the subject of this sketch until his death in 1875. His wife, Sarah Catherine IRE, was born in Selin's Grove, Snyder County, March 8, 1799, and was accidentally drowned November 16, 1847, in a new and unfinished well that had just been dug on the premises in Delaware Township, Northumberland County. It was supposed she slipped and fell off the planks which had been temporarily laid across the top. Mr. and Mrs. SEVISON had twelve children, only two now living: our subject and his sister Lavina, wife of James HOLLOPETER, a coachsmith, living in Clearfield County, Penn. Six of the family died when quite young, and four when arrived at maturity, as follows: Sarah, who died in Iowa; Sophia, died in Delaware Township, Northumberland County; Thomas, in the same place, and Harrison, in Northumberland County. Herman A. was born August 22, 1841, in Lewis Township, Northumberland County, and his mother dying when he was not quite five years of age, he was taken by Cornelius RYNEARSON, who reared him. When he was sixteen years of age he went to live with John G. OAKES in Lycoming County for a year; then to Ohio and New York for a year, and in the spring of 1858 began to learn the blacksmith's trade with William Hood, at McEwensville, Northumberland County. There he remained three years. On the breaking out of the war he enlisted (the first volunteer from that place) in Company G, Eleventh Pennsylvania Volunteers; served three months, and the following year again enlisted for nine months, this time in Company B, One Hundred and thirty-first Regiment. In 1864 he enlisted, determined to see the close of the war, in the Seventh Veteran Volunteer Cavalry, and has three honorable discharges, of which he may be justly proud. He was a brave soldier, and took part in five of the great battles of the war, besides skirmishes, especially while in the cavalry. After his second return from the service he married, in September, 1863, Miss Lucretia VAN DINE, who died in 1879, the mother of four children, all living at the present time, viz.: Sarah C., wife of Mr. KAHLER, of Bloomsburg; William A., who has learned his father's trade and works in his shops in Stillwater; Margaret L., who lives in Bloomsburg, and Elizabeth C., living near Millville, Greenwood Township. August 3, 1882, Mr. SEVISON married, as his second wife, Miss Emma, daughter of John MULL, who has born him one child, John F. On his return from the war, Mr. SEVISON was sought out by his old employer, William HOOD, and given charge of the shop in which he had learned his trade, and there remained a year and a half; thence to Limestoneville, Montour County, where he was in business two years; thence to Catawissa three years, and in December, 1885, came to Stillwater, where he bought a fine residence, and is doing a good business. Mr. SEVISON has no time to give to politics, but his record as a soldier shows that he was not backward when his country needed his services. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle - 1887, Fishingcreek Township pg. 453)

Bartley E. SHANNON, miller, P. O. Stillwater, is a son of Richard SHANNON, whose grandfather came from Ireland and settled on the west branch of the Susquehanna, where some of his descendants still reside. Richard SHANNON was born in July, 1812, at White Deer, Union County, and is now seventy-five years of age, and has almost all his life been engaged in farming. He is now employed in the car shops of Jackson & Woodin, at Berwick, and is an active and hearty man. He married, in 1834, Miss Mary, daughter of Abraham LEWIS, of Union County. She was born in 1818, and is yet living. Eight children were born to her and her husband, two of whom died in infancy. The living are William, married to Emma BOONE, and living on Black creek, Conyngham Township; Isaiah, unmarried, in Berwick; Samuel, married to Sarah HOOFNAGLE, and died in Berwick; Wesley, married first Annie LINDEN, and, after her death, Alice STEVENS, in Berwick; John, who resides in Berwick, and our subject, Bartley E., is the fourth son, and was born October 20, 1850, in Bloomsburg, where his parents then resided. In infancy he was brought to Centre township, where his youth was passed. When quite young he began to farm and attend school in winter until he was sixteen years of age. He then began to learn the trade of a miller at FULlNERS's mill, I that township, where he remained ten years. Thence he went to Mifflin, where he had charge of the YOHE mill for two years; thence to Beach Haven, where he conducted a mill for D. G. DRIESBACH for four years; thence to Jonestown mill for a year, and in 1886 came to Stillwater to take charge of the mill at this place. June 12, 1873, he married Elvira, daughter of Samuel ZIMMERMAN, of Orangeville, this county, who was born September 12, 1849, and had always lived with her parents until her marriage. They had six children, on of whom died in infancy. The living are Bruce E., Clark W., C. A., Howard L. and Mattie. Mr. SHANNON is a young man of excellent reputation, and since he has lived in Stillwater has won the good will and respect of its people. He and wife are consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Stillwater. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle - 1887, Fishingcreek Township pg. 454

Jacob F. SHOEMAKER, farmer, P. O. Orangeville, was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, February 17, 1821, and came to this country with his parents when he was thirteen years of age. They located first in New Brunswick, N. J., where his mother died eighteen days after arriving in this country. His father then moved to Easton, and six months later went to Hamilton, and later to Huntington township, Luzerne County, at which time Jacob F. was fifteen years old. The latter worked on farms and also on the canal for nearly seven summers. In 1848 he bought a team and farmed on shares the farm of Bernard TUBBS, Town Hill, Luzerne County, and the next year farmed James Hill, where he remained five years; then came to the farm of Samuel CREVELING, in this township near Van Camp. After residing there two years, he bought, I the spring of 1857, the farm in the southwest part of this township, which has since been his home. December 28, 1848, he married Miss Ellen, daughter of Henry TRAXLER, of Hunington Township, where Mrs. SHOEMAKER was born September 7, 1830. Mr. SHOEMAKER is a quiet man, who attends strictly to his own business. He and Mrs. SHOEMAKER are prominent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Rohrsburg, of which he is steward and trustee, and has been for many years. For a long time also he was class leader, but increasing years have caused him to relinquish active work in the church, though not to cease his labors in its behalf. He is widely known as one of its most liberal members. He and Mrs. SHOEMAKER now enjoy the fruits of a well spent life. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle - 1887, Fishingcreek Township pg. 454)

Ellis S. STOKER, farmer, P. O. Stillwater, was born May 17, 1842, in this township. His father, John STOKER, occupied the farm now owned by John ZANER until 1844, when he moved to a farm of 300 acres, which he had purchased across the creek, and which is now occupied by Ellis S. There he died in August, 1853, sixty-three years old. He was a man of great integrity and benevolence, and took deep interest in the Christian Church, of which he was a leading member. His wife, Esther BRIGHT, died February 14, 1880, aged eighty-one years. Their children were as follows: Jacob, who died in this township; Sallie Ann, wife of Elias McHENRY, of Benton; Russell, in Iowa; Phebe Ellen, wife of William HULME, of Benton; Almira, wife of Jos. F. McHENRY, of Stillwater; Louisa, wife of Daniel EDGAR, of Luzerne County; James F., of Philadelphia; Martha, wife of John V. McHENRY (she died in 1862); William Mc., of this township, and Ellis S., our subject, is the youngest of the family, and was but twelve years of age when his father died. He remained with his mother, working on the farm and in the saw-mill until his marriage, when he moved to that part of the farm where he now resides, and which he received from the estate. Five or six years ago he erected a fine substantial house and out-buildings, to which he removed, and in August, 1886, bought back the old farm of 170 acres and two sets of buildings. June 21, 1863, he married Miss Hannah A., daughter of Thomas DAVIS, of Benton Township. She was born May 22, 1838, and has borne her husband three children: Howard Dell, born in April, 1864, and died at the age of three weeks; Lewis A., born May 1865, and Hilbert Stanley, born April 3 1873, both of whom live with their parents. Mr. and Mrs. STOKER are members of the Christian Church. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle - 1887, Fishingcreek Township pg. 454)

Olden STOKES, tanner, P. O. Forks, is a great-grandson of James STOKES who moved from Bucks County to the Bear Gap, Northumberland County (near the Montour County line), and where he owned all the property on what is now the grist-mill, and there died. His son, Joseph, came to Roaringcreek Township, this county, and was the first teacher and surveyor (making the original surveys) in that part of the county. He and wife, Mrs. Rebecca (LEE) STOKES, settled in that part of Roaringcreek which is now Locust Township. He died in Bucks County forty-five years ago, aged about seventy years. His wife died in Locust township. He had a numerous family, and his descendants are still to be found in the county. His son, James, the father of Olden, was born in 1791 and died in 1860. He followed carpenter work and cabinet-making during the summer, and taught school in the winter seasons, but in his latter years devoted himself exclusively to teaching. He was a member of the Society of Friends and a leading member in meeting, of which he was for years clerk. His tastes were literary, and he contributed considerably to papers and periodicals, and was also a poet of no mean order. His wife, Deborah, daughter of Mahlon HOAR, was born about the same year as her husband and died in 1861. Their children were Hampton, who died when a young man; James, in Minnesota; John C., who died in Scranton, Penn., in 1885, and Olden, our subject, is the second child, and was born August 3, 1826. He received such an education as the times afforded, and in 1844 began to learn the tanner's trade, at which he worked many years in Catawissa; thence to Berwick, and later to Black Creek, Luzerne County, where he remained four years. He then spent three years in Hollenback Township, same county. He then bought a tannery at Foundryville, in Briarcreek, which he operated fourteen years; then sold out and bought a property at Martzville, near Berwick, where he resided two years, when he exchanged it for the property he owns in this township, on Huntington Creek, where he resumed the tanning business. July 1, 1866, he married Eliza, daughter of Michael FORT, of Lehigh County, where she was born in 1827. They had two children, one of whom died in infancy, and Hannah Janie, born January 7, 1868, who lives with her parents. Mr. STOKES was born and reared among the Society of Friends, but his wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle - 1887, Fishingcreek Township pg. 455)

Wesley W. SUTLIFF, dentist, Runyan, is a grandson of Miles STULIFF, who, with his wife, came from Connecticut and settled in Huntington Township, Luzerne Co., Penn. There they had a farm and also a hotel, which was probably the first in the township, and their both died. They had eleven children: Bernard, Stiles, Daniel, Abel, Wells, Washington, Wesley, Miles, Hannah, Amelia and Roxana; two now survive: Daniel, in Huntington Township, and Hannah, widow of George SOUDER, in same township. Abel was the father of our subject and was born May 2, 1808, and died in the same township June 28, 1868. His wife, Lydia BRADER, was born October 27, 1809, and is now living on the old home in Luzerne County. Abel was a large landholder, owning three farms; he was a member of the Baptist Church, and his wife is also a member. They had fourteen children: Miles M., in Shickshinny; Samuel B., a farmer; Rosanna E., unmarried, with her mother; Roxana, widow of Andrus ZIMMERMAN; John W., a farmer; Amelia M., wife of John W. KINGSBURY; Sterling D., a farmer; James M. a farmer, all in Huntington Township; Ross C., died in that township, leaving a wife and son to survive him; Bernard, died in infancy; Cornelia A., wife of John A. FULKISON; Emma T., wife of Bingly FRANKLIN; an infant, who died unnamed, and Wesley W. The last named was the sixth child, born on the home farm September 30, 1838, and lived on the farm until he was twenty-one years old; then worked and earned enough to attend school three years. He graduated in 1863 at Crittenden Commercial College, Philadelphia. While attending the Orangeville Academy he was drafted, and after serving some months was discharged on account of disability. In July, 1863, he served in the emergency corp at Chambersburg. For a year after graduating he worked as clerk and agent, and August 27, 1864, enlisted for three years in Company B, One Hundred and Ninety-ninth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, serving until the regiment was discharged. He was then transferred and made corporal to Company B, One Hundred and Eighty-eight Pennsylvania, and served until December 14, 1865, when he was finally discharged at City Point, Va. Coming home he accepted an agency, at which he worked until 1873, when he began the study of dentistry in the State of New York, and has since followed that profession. In 1874 he built the residence in Asbury, this township, which he has since made his home. His practice covers a large territory, which he visits at regular intervals. When Dr. STULIFF built his home he determined on making it a model one. This he has succeeded in doing, taking water from a spring fifty rods from his house. He has it conducted in underground pipes to his house and barn, in both of which he has an unfailing supply. In the house, by an ingeniously arranged system of pipes of his own invention, he runs a thirty-inch wheel from a huge tank, containing seventy-five barrels of water, in his cellar, which operates a churn in his buttery above, a gate, which is regulated in an instant, guaging the supply. This wheel also gives the power, by a connection below, to run an ice-cream freezer. When not in use the water can be shut off in a moment. The overflow from the tank runs through a large trough in the cellar, in which is kept butter, cream, etc. From there the waste water is conveyed through pipes into a large fish pond, in which are German and French carp. The apparatus, entirely of his own invention, is simple, practical and a great labor saver. November 9, 1871, Dr. SUTLIFF married Catherine, daughter of Peter EVELAND, of Asbury. She was born December 24, 1838, and has borne her husband two children: Bruce E., born in Huntington township October 4, 1873, and Myrtie M., born in Asbury, March 16, 1875, died February 20, 1880. The Doctor is a member of the Mountain Lodge, 264, I. O. O. F., of Orangevile, also of the K. of P., of the Grange, and of the Colombia county Agricultural Society. He is a member of the Baptist Church, of which he has been deacon, but Mrs. STULIFF is a member of the Methodist Episcopal denomination. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle - 1887, Fishingcreek Township pg. 455)

John WENNER, farmer, P. O. Van Camp, was born in Butler Township, Luzerne County, October 2, 1816. His great-grandfather emigrated from Germany before the Revolution, and acquired quite a property which he sold, receiving payment in continental money, and, of course, lost all. His son, Christian, who was born in Snyder county, Penn., was a soldier in the Revolution, and after that struggle settled on his farm in his native county. Later he moved to Butler Township, Luzerne County, where he died. His family were Jacob, Andrew, Daniel, George, Christian, Leonard, Jonas, Catherine, Regina and Barbara, all of whom are deceased. Jacob was the father of John, and was born in Snyder County in April, 1786; died in September, 1865, aged seventy-nine years and five months. His wife was born in March, 1795, and died in March, 1865, within a few days of her seventieth year. Jacob WENNER was a soldier in the war of 1812, but the war closed before he saw active service. When he was sixteen years old he came to Butler township, Luzerne County, with his parents. He was always a farmer, working for his father and others until he was twenty-seven years of age. He then married Elizabeth, daughter of Michael BEISHLINE, of Butler Township. After his marriage he bought a farm in that county on which he resided five years. His father-in-law had bought a tract of 300 acres of land in this county and Jacob came here in 1817 and bought 100 acres of that land; later bought 118 acres more. Here he put up a house on the place where his son John now lives, and here he passed the remainder of his life. He was an honest, upright man, a member of the German Reformed Church in Van Camp, of which he had been for years a deacon and elder. His wife was also a member of the same church. They were the parents of the following named children: Jacob; Daniel, who lives in this township; Magdalena, deceased wife of Benjamin HESS; Susanna, deceased wife of Elias PEALER; Elizabeth and Sarah, both died young, and John. Of these John, our subject, is the second son and has passed his entire life within a mile of where he now resides, and has always followed farming. On his marriage he removed to a farm adjoining his father's which he had purchased and there resided eleven years. He then purchased a farm on the other side of his father's to which he moved and on which he lived nine years. He then bought the home farm, which had been inherited by his brother Daniel, and there has since lived. August 10, 1838, he married Eve COPE, who died April 9, 1856, leaving eight children, one child, Matilda, had died prior. The survivors are Rachel, wife of Charles KINDIG; Michael, married to Rosanna HOSLER; Elias, married to Susanna BENDER; Margaret, widow of Leonard KLINE; Jacob, married to Elizabeth ROBBINS; Susanna, wife of J. Ogden WILSON; Sarah, wife of Wesley EVELAND and resides in Huntington Township, Luzerne County, and Melinda, wife of Joseph DEITRICH, all residing in this township except Sarah. June 13, 1858, Mr. WENNER married, as his second wife, Sarah, widow of William KAUFF and daughter of Jacob HUNTSINGER, of Sullivan County, and who was born June 22, 1814. No children were born to this union, but Mrs. WENNER has two children by her first husband—Amelia Ann, wife of Simon MEYERS, residing in Williamsport, and David who married Charlotte HARTMAN and is a merchant at Bendertown. Mr. WENNER has always led a quiet and peaceable life. He has never identified himself with politics, but has been elected to many township offices. He is treasurer of the Fishingcreek Mutual Fire Insurance company, of which he was one of the organizers. He and Mr. WENNER are members of the German Reformed Church, of which for about forty years he was an elder and deacon. In the community in which his life has been passed Mr. WENNER bears the record of an upright and good citizen. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle - 1887, Fishingcreek Township pg. 456)

Michael WENNER, farmer, P. O. Van Camp, is the eldest son of John WENNER, and was born September 25, 1841, on the old WENNER homestead where his father still resides. At the age of twenty-three he married and removed to Briarcreek Township where he farmed a year. He then came to this township and settled on the farm of his father adjoining the homestead, where he has since lived. This he rented and worked on shares until four years ago when he purchased it. December 22, 1864, he married Rosanna M. daughter of D. R. HOSLER, of Jonestown, this township, who was born November 2, 1846, and had always lived at home until her marriage. To this union nine children were born; William Wallace, born September 29, 1865, married Amanda, daughter of Levi BEISHLINE, lives in this township and farms his grandfather's farm; Ellis Bruce, born April 21, 1867; Laura Roella, born December 9, 1869; Mary Alice, born June 13, 1871; Torrence Meldon, 1877; Emma Bernetta, born October 25, 1880, and Anna May, born January 17, 1884. Mr. WENNER has always followed agricultural pursuits, except one summer that he engaged at carpentering. He has never taken a very active part in politics, but has held several township offices. He and Mrs. WENNER are members of the German Reformed Church at Van Camp, in which he was a deacon for ten years; and also taught in the Sunday-school several years. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle - 1887, Fishingcreek Township pg. 456)

Elias WENNER, farmer, P. O. Van Camp, is a son of John WENNER and was born June 15, 1843, on his father's farm in this township. At the age of eighteen he went to Light Street, and later to Berwick, where he learned the trade of a blacksmith. On completing his apprenticeship he opened a shop in Bendertown, which he conducted eight years. He then abandoned the trade and removed to the farm about a mile west of Bendertown. This property he had previously purchased from Henry SCHAEFFER, and there has since resided, and where, in 1879, he built an elegant and commodious residence. January 1, 1867, he married Miss Susanna, daughter of Aaron BENDER of this township. Mrs. WENNER was born April 30, 1844, within half a mile of where she now lives. Mr. and Mrs. WENNER have had six children: Forrester C., born October 26, 1867, died January 17, 1869; Herbie B., born January 16, 1869; Martha A., born July 18, 1871; John W., born October 14, 1874; Frank E., born March 12, 1877, and William Clarence, born May 15, 1881; all at home with their parents. Mr. WENNER is a reliable and upright gentleman and with his wife a member of the St. James Reformed Church at Van Camp. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle - 1887, Fishingcreek Township pg. 457)

Benjamin B. YOUNG, farmer, P. O. Van Camp, is a son of Jacob and Christian (PEGG) YOUNG, who resided in Jackson Township, this county, where his grandparents also resided. Jacob was a farmer and lived to an advanced age, dying in 1884 in his ninetieth year. He was a blacksmith and was three times married, the mother of Benjamin B. being his second wife. She had ten children, Sarah Ann, Jane, Daniel, Benjamin B., Jesse, William, Ellis, Mary, Samantha and Uzilla. All are now living except Jesse, who died in Iowa. Sarah Ann is the wife of Abraham TREVELPEACE of Greenwood Township; Jane is the wife of Washington EIKHER living near Cambria, Luzerne County; Daniel lives in Jackson Township; William resides in Berwick; Ellis in Greenwood Township; Mary is the widow of Philip KANOUSE of Benton; Samantha is married to Samuel M c KINNEY and resides in Espy; Uzilla is the wife of John HESS of Jackson Township. Benjamin B. is the second son and was born in Jackson township, March 20, 1828, and reared to farming. He lived with Dr. G. W. LOTT of Orangeville from the time he was seven years old until he was nineteen; then worked for twelve years for Andrus FELLOWS in Huntington township, Luzerne County, and in 1868 bought the farm where he now resides. He married in 1860, Mrs. Huldah McCREANER, and Albert E. was their only child, and was born April 3, 1861, and died April 8, 1875, aged fourteen years and five days. Mrs. YOUNG was the daughter of Andrus FELLOWS, one of the prominent men of Luzerne County and the first white child born in Huntington township, of which his father was one of the early settlers. Mr. FELLOWS was a kind, charitable and thrifty farmer and left a name honored by his descendants. He accumulated a good property which he left to his children. Miss FELLOWS married first Thomas BOWMAN October 10, 1833, who died December 7, 1836. They had two children: Alfred B., who died in November, 1883, (his widow lives in Nevada, Mo,); the other child was Rosa, who is the wife of Myron W. BRITTON of Cambria, Luzerne County. May 9, 1857, Mrs. BOWMAN married Henry McCREANER of Mauch Chunk, who died January 1, 1859. He was a soldier in the Mexican war and died from the effects of a disease contracted in the army. He left no heirs. In 1878 Mr. and Mrs. YOUNG erected the commodious and comfortable residence in which they live. It stands near the site of the house in which Samuel C. CREVELING lived. Their farm was a part of that original tract and it 110 acres in extent. Mr. and Mrs. YOUNG are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church and are highly respected by those who know them. Mr. YOUNG has never aspired to political notoriety and has never held office. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle - 1887, Fishingcreek Township pg. 457)

David YOST, farmer and justice of the peace, Van Camp, is of German extraction, his great-great-grandfather having emigrated from Germany and settled in Chester County, Penn., where his great-grandfather, John YOST, was born. The latter removed to Pottstown, Montgomery County, where he died. He was twice married: first to Mollie KRAUSE, by whom he had the following named children: Henry, Philip, Samuel, Elizabeth and Mary. His second wife was Miss SEIVEL, who bore him five children: John; Jacob S, a congressman, and State marshal under President Buchanan; Catherine, Rachel and Sarah, all now deceased. The grandfather of our subject was Henry. He was born in Chester County; went with his parents to Pottstown, and, after his marriage, removed with his wife and child to Roaringcreek, in this county, where he erected a tannery. There he stayed seven years, when he sold his tannery and rented a farm at Catawissa, on which he lived four years, and in 1811 went to Sugar Loaf Township, Luzerne County, where he bought a tract of land, on which he lived until his death in 1862, at the age of eighty-seven years and nine months. His wife died six weeks prior, at the age of eighty-five years. Her maiden name was Margaret RICKERT, and she bore her husband seven children, as follows: Susanna, widow of Joseph MINNICH, resides in Luzerne County; Elizabeth; John; Solomon, and Henry (deceased); Mary, wife of William WOODWORTH, was bore June 13, 1805, in Roaringcreek, and when nineteen years of age, served an apprenticeship to the trade of carpenter, at which he worked until 1842. He then bought a farm in this township, and a few years later bought the place where he now resides, and erected the house thereon. Since 1866 he has lived retired. He married, in December 1826, Esther WINTERS, who had four children: Margaret Ann, wife of George M. HOWELL, of Van Camp; Sarah and May (twins), the former the wife of William LAUDERBACH, and the latter of Nathan DRIESBACH, both of this township, and David (subject). His first wife dying, Samuel YOST married, in 1871, Henrietta, widow of Solomon HARTMAN, and by this union there are no children. He has been a prominent man in the public affairs of the township, and has been deacon and elder in the Reformed Church for many years. Our subject was born December 12, 1830, in Conyngham, Luzerne County, and after his marriage removed to a farm belonging to his father in this township, and eleven years later to his father's home farm, where he now resides. July 1, 1854, he married Sarah Catherine, daughter of John CREVELING of this township. She was born December 18, 1836, and have had eight children: Alfred Nevin, born August 23, 1855, living in Bloomsburg; Mary Alice, September 17, 1857, wife of Noah W. HESS, of this township; Clarence Wilbur, September 5, 1869, living on the farm of his grandfather CREVELING; John Creveling, born February 18, 1862, died May 4, 1885; George D. August 14, 1864; Bruce C., June 30, 1867; Dora Esther, February 2, 1870, and Samuel, September 23, 1878; the last four reside with their parents. In September, 1884, Mr. YOST was appointed justice of the peace to fill a vacancy, and the following year was elected for a term of five years. He was the first superintendent of the Sabbath-school connected with the Reformed Church at Van Camp, holding the position twenty-five years, when he resigned. He was deacon about the same time, and is now elder of the church, and in 1887 represents it at the general synod in Akron, Ohio. His wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, but attends the Reformed, of which all her children are members. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle - 1887, Fishingcreek Township pg. 457.)

Back to

COLUMBIA COUNTY BIOS

MONTOUR COUNTY BIOS

SOME OTHER BIOGRAPHIES

HISTORY OF COLUMBIA COUNTY

HISTORY OF MONTOUR COUNTY

 
 

 
MY FILE CABINET
FAMILY LINES
JOWEST