From "The History of Columbia and Mountour Counties"
Battle, 1887

AARON BOONE, P. O. Espy, was born in Columbia County February 14, 1815, a son of Benjamin and Margaret (CREVELING) BOONE. His grandfather, Benjamin BOONE, was a cousin of the renowned Daniel BOONE, of Kentucky, and was the first of the family to settle in Columbia County, locating in Centre Township on 300 acres of land. This tract was bounded on one side by the Susquehanna River, and extended a mile back. He was reared in Berks County, near Reading, and was a prominent man in his day. He died at the age of eighty-one years. His son Benjamin, the father of our subject, was a farmer, and also carried on an extensive shad fishery, employing seven men from Easter until June. He inherited from his gather 150 acres of the old homestead, and there died in 1851, at the age of sixty-three years. He and his wife are buried in Heidler's churchyard. At the age of twenty-three, Aaron BOONE married Mary, a daughter of Samuel WEBB, Sr., whose family was also among the pioneers of this county. Mrs. BOONE died in 1849, leaving two children, Charles A. and Samuel W., who are still living. Mr. BOONE's second marriage took place in 1850, with Hannah WAGNER, who bore him five children: Shepperd R., Olin S., Paul Anthony, Jesse Edmund, and Mary K., all of whom are now living. Mr. BOONE has been for over fifty years a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and has served for many years both as steward and class-leader. He remembers with distinctness the establishment of nearly every Methodist congregation in the section extending from Bloomsburg to Berwick, and has donated money for every Methodist Church building that has been erected in his lifetime within this vicinity. The house that his grandfather lived in, in Centre Township, was built in 1790, and is still standing; the barn was erected about the same time, and is also in a good state of preservation. He also recollects in 1822-23 when great numbers of the people were carried off by typhus fever. The canal at this point was begun in 1827 and finished in 1831, and our subject's father helped carry the line in surveying the county lines in this and other parts of the State. Bear, deer and wild fowl were very numerous at that time, and his father used to make a yearly hunt for the larger game, supplying his family with venison. The road where Afton now is was then known as "Webb's Lane," and was a famous place in early days for horse racing. In the ridge near by are beds of lead and zinc which were worked in an early day, some on our subject's land. Mr. BOONE owns 160 acres north of Afton, also a fine residence and lot at Afton. For many years he was engaged in boating on the canal. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle 1887 Scott Township pg. 533)

G. W. CREVELING, merchant at Afton, P. O. Espy, was born in the immediate neighborhood, December 19, 1833, a son of Thomas and Elizabeth (RUCKLE) CREVELING. His father died in September, 1835, while on a trip west, at or in the vicinity of South Bend, Ind. The mother died in 1856. G. W. lived on a farm close by Afton until he was about eleven years old; from that time in espy until 1861, receiving his education, in the meantime, in the common schools of that place. At the age of thirteen years he engaged at boating as driver on the Pennsylvania Canal, afterward as bowsman, steersman, then captain; afterward, in 1853, he bought a half interest in a boat, then the whole of it, and in 1855 owned two boats and freighted between Pittston, Baltimore, Philadelphia and intermediate points. He continued thus until 1856, when he abandoned active boating, though still owning a boat and hiring a man to run it. Before the age of twenty-one he had accumulated about $2,000. In the fall after closing boating, in 1856, he began to keep books in the office of Fowler & Creveling, with whom he remained four years. In April, 1857, he became part owner of the Limestone Ridge, near Espy, and has since been interested in shipping limestone. March 16, 1858, he married Frances M. MILLARD, a daughter of Joshua K. MILLARD, of Espy. In 1861 he personally assumed charge of shipping limestone at the Ridge, and in March, 1864, he and his brother, Alfred, established the present store at Afton. In 1867 he bought out his brother's interest and continued alone until 1873, when he took E. C. TREMBLY as a partner, and continued until 1877, since which time he has been alone. Mr. CREVELING enlisted as an emergency man in 1863 for ninety days, and was in the United States service for about sixty days. He is a Republican and has served his vicinity in various public offices. Mr. and Mrs. CREVELING have two children: Charles M., born August 24, 1859, an assistant in the store and limestone business, and Edna M., born July 5, 1875; another daughter died in 1865, aged three and a half years. Mr. CREVELING is president of the Espy Lime & Cement Company, and was formerly its secretary and treasurer. He owns 110 acres of highly improved land in Centre Township, valued at $140 per acre. He was the architect of his elegant residence at Afton. The following are the children of Thomas CREVELING: Eli, who married Jane HEIDLEY, and died in 1866; Isaac married Rebecca HOGENBUCH [sic], and died in 1884; Eliza Ann, married to Henry TREMBLY, and died in 1879; Rebecca, died in infancy; Lavina, married H. L. GEARHART, and died in 1875; Thomas, Jr., died unmarried, in 1881; Alfred, married Mary M. WORMAN, and resides at Harrisburg, Penn.; George W., resides at Afton, Penn., and John, died at the age of three years. George W. and Alfred are the only survivors. Now at the age of fifty-three years G. W. is about making arrangements to get out of active business with a sufficient competence, his health not being very good. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle 1887 Scott Township pg. 533)

HERMAN G. CREVELING, Esq., Espy, was born May 19, 1826, one and a quarter miles north of Espy, and is a son of Andrew and Rebecca (WATERS) CREVELING. He was reared on a farm and educated at Espy. He has been three times married, first, in 1847, to Hester WILLETT, who died, the mother of two children, living: Rebecca R. and Ardelia E. His second wife was Louisa M. KUHN, who left no children. His third marriage was with Mrs. Catherine EVERTS, nee RUCKEL, by whom he has one child, Clinton R. During his early life Mr. CREVELING was a farmer, but in 1856 or 1857 embarked in the mercantile business with E. F. RICHART, and in 1858 and 1859 carried on the business alone. Subsequently he engaged in the limestone business for several years, and for the last twenty-five or twenty-six years has conducted a butcher business. In 1865 he was elected a justice of the peace and has since served in that office, making twenty-two years of service. The Squire is now secretary of the Susquehanna Manufacturing Company at Espy. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle 1887 Scott Township pg. 534)

J. HARVEY CREVELING, lumber merchant, P. O. Bloomsburg, was born in Columbia County October 17, 1830. The first of his ancestors to settle in this county were John CREVELING and Charity, his wife, who located in what is now Scott Township. John owned a farm just east of Bloomsburg. He was from New Jersey, and he and wife were members of the Society of Friends. The famous "CREVELING grape," well known throughout this country, was propagated by Mrs. CREVELING, the original vine being still in good bearing condition, running over a large pear tree near the residence. Mr. and Mrs. John CREVELING are both buried in CREVELING Cemetery. Their son, Andrew, inherited the old homestead and married Ann I. HENRIE, a daughter of Archibald and Sarah HENRIE. Andrew was born January 22, 1806. His wife died in 1863, leaving a large family, six of whom are now living. He subsequently married Mrs. HIKOX, then Mrs. HARVEY, and was then married to Mrs. FINE, and died September 1, 1886, and is buried by the side of his wife in the CREVELING Cemetery. He took an active part in public matters; was captain and later major of the militia, and was widely known as an enterprising and substantial citizen. He and his first wife belonged to the Episcopal Church. When his father retired from active business, J. Harvey bought the old homestead of 135 acres for $22,000, including a one-half interest in a timber tract near New Philadelphia of 125 acres. He married, November 27, 1856, Susan A. CONNER, and three boys and five girls blessed their union: Andrew, married Annetta HARTMAN, a daughter of Wellington HARTMAN; Sarah; I. Conner; Anna I.; Mary; Lulu; Susan A., and Harvey Scott, all living at home, the married son carrying on the old homestead farm. Mr. CREVELING is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and has served his township as school director and in other local offices. He moved to Bloomsburg in 1886 and has partially retired. He has carried on the lumber business for fifteen years on West Creek, in Jackson and Sugarloaf Townships and still owns seven-twelfths of 372 acres of timber land there. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle 1887 Scott Township pg. 534)

WILLIAM E. DIETTERICH, merchant, Espy, was born in Centre Township, Columbia Co., Penn., February 28, 1847; a son of John and Susannah (SCHUG) DIETTERICH. He was reared on a farm, received his early education at the schools of his vicinity and finished his studies at the normal school, taking a course of nine months. In 1871 he began business on his own account at Espy, in partnership with T. W. HARTMAN and Thomas THOMPSON, under the firm name of W. E. DIETTERICH & Company. They opened an ice-cream saloon with a capital of $45. At the end of a month Mr. HARTMAN withdrew, receiving $45 as his share. At the end of two months Mr. DIETTERICH bought out the remaining partner for $118, and in the fall took his brother in as a partner, added groceries to the business, which was conducted under the firm name of W. E. DIETTERICH & Brother. At the end of nine months our subject bought his brother out, in 1873 added a general line of goods, and has since conducted a successful business. In 1882 he built his present fine store and residence at a cost of upward of $3,000. The business is one of the best in Espy, and averages upward of $5,000 per annum. Mr. DIETTERICH is a Democrat and has served his vicinity as school director for several years, and is also a member of the Lutheran Church. He married, May 30, 1872, Mary E., a daughter of David and Harriet WHITMIRE, of Espy. Mrs. DIETTERICH was born October 24, 1850; she has borne her husband one child, Henry Clary, born July 2, 1881. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle 1887 Scott Township pg. 534)

DAVID GEISINGER, postmaster, Espy, was born in Orange Township, in 1845, to Samuel and Elizabeth (FLECKENSTINE) GEISINGER. When David was five years of age his father died, and he then went to live with Joseph POHE, with whom he remained until the age of sixteen, attending the common schools. From that time he made his own way in the world, and when nineteen, in 1864, enlisted in Company E, Sixteenth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry, and served in the Rebellion some ten or eleven months, or until the close of the war. He participated in the engagements at Stony Creek and Amelia Springs, where he was wounded in the left wrist by a gunshot and in the head by a saber cut. He remained disabled for some time and his wounds are often troublesome at this date. He was principally engaged in skirmishing and scout duty. Mr. GEISINGER has been twice married; first, in 1868, to Elizabeth BUPP, who died the same year, and March 9, 1871, he married Mrs. Margaret KISNER, whose maiden name was CREVELING, a daughter of H. G. and Margaret (WELLETT) CREVELING. They have had three children: William H., born December 4, 1873, died December 8, 1877; Harold D., born January 14, 1875, and Ardelia E., born March 29, 1877. Mr. GEISINGER was appointed postmaster at Espy July 17, 1886, and is the present incumbent. Mrs. GEISINGER is a member of the Lutheran Church, which the family attend. By her first husband Mrs. GEISINGER had one child, Leroy KISNER, born November 5, 1868, died November 8, 1882, at the age of fourteen years. Mr. GEISINGER is a Democrat, and has held several township offices. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle 1887 Scott Township pg. 535)

PROF. FRANCIS HECK. P. O. Light Street, is a native of Monterey, Schuylkill Co., Penn., born in 1856, a son of John W. and Rebecca (HARTLINE) HECK, of that county. He received the advantages afforded by the schools of his vicinity until the age of fifteen, when he became a student at Freeburg Academy. After teaching one term at the age of seventeen, he continued his studies at the Freeburg Academy, preparatory to entering college. When nineteen (in 1875), he entered Lafayette College, and was graduated from that institution in June, 1879. On leaving college he engaged in teaching at Paxinos, Northumberland Co., Penn., as principal of the public schools. He there continued two years, and then came to Columbia County, in 1882, where he taught a select school for one year and acted as the principal of Orangeville Academy, for two years, which position he resigned in 1885. In the fall of that year he became identified with the Democratic Sentinel, having charge of the educational columns of that paper. Prof. HECK for the past year has taught a select school at Light Street. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle 1887 Scott Township pg. 535)

SAMUEL McKAMEY, foreman of the Pennsylvania Canal Company's boat yards, Espy, was born in that place, October 16, 1830, a son of Samuel and Elizabeth (CALDWELL) McKAMEY. His parents were natives of Ireland, and coming to the United States, settled in Plymouth, Luzerne County. The father was a weaver by trade, and followed it all his life. He and wife were Episcopalians; he is buried in the Episcopal graveyard at Bloomsburg, and she in Espy Cemetery. At the age of eighteen, Samuel began to learn the carpenter's trade, which he followed two years. He then bought a boat and followed boating and freighting on the Pennsylvania Canal for eighteen years, over the whole length of the Pennsylvania & Erie Canals. In 1863 he enlisted as an emergency man, in Company I, Thirty-fifth P. V. I., and was in service six or seven weeks. After giving up the boating, Mr. McKAMEY worked at stair building for several years, and in 1873 was employed by the Pennsylvania Canal Company at Espy. In 1883 he was appointed foreman of their yards. He is a member of the Methodist Church, and has been twice married. His first wife, whom he married in 1856, was Martha B. HICKS, who died in 1875, leaving five children; his second marriage took place in 1876, with Mrs. Samantha MORGAN. His children are as follows: Jennie, Anna, Sally, Blanche and Susan (the last named died at the age of five years). Mr. McKAMEY's brother, Alexander, served as lieutenant in the Mexican war, and was promoted to a captaincy. His uncle, James CALDWELL, went out as captain of his company and was killed at the battle of the city of Mexico. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle 1887 Scott Township pg. 535)

BENJAMIN MILLER, retired farmer, P. O. Espy, was born in Scott Township, this county, May 24, 1818, son of Philip and Mary (SEIDLE) MILLER. Jacob MILLER, grandfather of Benjamin, was born in Berks County, Penn., following farming, and lived there until his death. His father came from Berks County, and took up a good deal of land there, and also lived there the rest of his life. Philip MILLER, father of Benjamin, was born and reared in Berks County to farm life. He was married in Berks County to Miss Mary SEIDLE, a native of Berks County, of German descent. They came to this county in 1812, bringing with them their family, which then consisted of one son and one daughter. They located at Espy, where Mr. MILLER engaged in in-keeping, which he abandoned and bought a farm in this township, which is now owned by Jesse HOFFMAN, and there located and followed farming until about ten years before his death, when he lived a retired life. He died January 1, 1872, at the age of eighty years, and is buried at Afton. His wife died May 8, 1852, and is buried in the Lutheran Reformed Church Cemetery, Bloomsburg. They were the parents of six children, of whom four are living: Benjamin; Mary, widow of Andrew JINGLES, living in Maine Township, this county; Harriet, wife of Joseph BREISCH, living in Catawissa Township, this county; Regina, wife of Oscar WOLVERTON, living in Northumberland County, Penn. Benjamin was reared in Columbia County, where he has always had his home. He made his residence with his parents until he was married, and after that event moved into another house on the same farm, which he worked. He lived there until he bought his present farm of nineteen acres. He was married in this county February 19, 1857, to Miss Catherine ALE. They came to this county from New Jersey and settled in Greenwood Township, where they resided until their death. The father died November 1, 1880, and the mother March 1, of the same year. They are buried at KITCHEN's Church, Mount Pleasant Township, this county. Mr. and Mrs. MILLER were the parents of one child, Jeanetta, who died when nine months old. They reared an adopted child, Sallie, now the wife of William HOFFMAN. They are also rearing another little adopted girl, named Mamie. Our subject and wife are members of the Lutheran Church. He is assistant superintendent of the Methodist Sabbath-school at Afton. In politics he is a Democrat. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle 1887 Scott Township pg. 535)

JOHN MOUREY, hotel-keeper, Espy, was born April 11, 1841, in what is now Locust Township, but what was then a part of Roaringcreek, and was reared to farm life. His father died when he (subject) was but sixteen years of age and being the eldest of six brothers and one sister, he took charge of the farm and conducted it for his mother for two years. He then began to learn the shoemaker's trade with Hamilton FISHER of Slabtown, but did not complete the trade. He then was employed by his uncle, George MARTZ, at Light Street for nine months, after which he returned home and attended school. He then worked one season for Clint MENDENHALL, and attended another term of school. January 1, 1861, he engaged with Solomon ARTLEY, for one year, for $108. January 2, 1862, he married Lavina, Mr. ARTLEY's daughter, and then took the homestead and worked it for two years. From that time he began taking a prominent part in politics and then moving to Franklin Township, purchased a lot of thirty-four acres from Mr. ARTLEY, and resided there two years. He then sold that place and bought sixty acres of the old homestead of his mother, on which he erected a house, barn, etc., and resided seven years. His mother-in-law dying, he moved to the ARTLEY homestead (rented his own place and sold it a year later) and remained two years, when he purchased the HIPKY mill in Roaringcreek, and still owns it and is interested in running it. He lived at the mill seven or eight years, and in 1882 was elected by a large majority, sheriff of Columbia County; entered the office the first Monday in January, 1883, and served until the first Monday in January, 1886. The first of the following April he moved to Espy, where he rents the hotel. He owns twenty-eight acres and the mill. Mr. and Mrs. MOUREY have had six children, five of whom are living: Mary M., wife of J. M. KUNKLE; Solomon; Clara, married to A. W. LONG; Michael; Sarah E. and Lavina May (the latter died at the age of one year and three months). Mr. MOUREY also owns 120 acres of timber land in Roaringcreek, and some ten lots at Montandon. He is engaged in attending the hotel, mill, and other property. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle 1887 Scott Township pg. 536)

JOSEPH POHE (deceased) was born in Albany Township, Berks Co., Penn., September 19, 1790. His parents came to this county when he was but a boy. When he arrived at sixteen years of age he was apprenticed to Larry RUCK, in Bloomsburg, to learn the shoemaking trade. After finishing his trade he went to Mifflinville, borrowed $10 to buy a kit of tools, and traveled about among different families, mending and making shoes. Mr. POHE followed his trade until a few years ago. In 1831 he removed from Mifflinville to Centre Township, where he resided until his death (1880). His $10 borrowed capital grew into seven farms, besides over $30,000 which he lost by insolvents. He preserved a hammer handle which had been worn off by the use of his hands as he plied his trade. Mr. POHE's father was a captain in the Revolutionary war. His mother and grandmother were captured by the Indians when the former was but seven weeks old, and remained captives for eleven years, until by the aid of a fur trader they made their escape. Two children are dead and six survive their aged father, and in this volume appears a portrait which was placed there by them. His wife, Mary (WOLF) POHE, died in 1835. He was a member of the Lutheran Church. Mr. POHE's successful life is a good illustration of what may be accomplished by a faithful pursuit of one's vocation. He passed peacefully away, thus removing another of the old "land marks" from his community. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle 1887 Scott Township pg. 536)

STEPHEN POHE, farmer, P. O. Espy, was born in the town of Mifflin, September 6, 1825, a son of Joseph and Mary (WOLF) POHE, both of Berks County. The father came to this county about 1800. He was a shoemaker by trade, but was an extensive landholder in Centre and Mifflin Townships, owning some 1,000 acres. He was born in 1790, died in 1880, a member of the Lutheran Church, and is buried in Mifflin graveyard; his wife, who died in 1835, is buried by his side. Stephen learned the shoemaker's trade, and at the age of twenty-one took charge of his father's farm. Later he engaged extensively in freighting on the canal, operating some eight or nine boats between all points for three years, and for the next nine or ten years carried on the boot and shoe business at Mifflin. In 1865 he enlisted in Company A, Seventy-fourth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and participated in quite a number of skirmishes. He served in the Army of the Potomac, and was mustered out in October, 1865. He then began farming 145 acres in Centre Township, which he still owns, and continued thus employed until 1886. He has always been interested in politics and has served his township in various local offices. In 1878 he was nominated by the Democratic party for county commissioner, and elected by a large majority. In 1884 he was re-elected, and is the present incumbent. He is a man of fearless convictions, and works for the best interest of the people. Mr. POHE married, in 1856, Sarah H. HESS, who died in 1866, and five of her children are living: Francis L., Joseph R. and Charles L. (twins), and Alice Eudora and George McL.; Sally died at the age of one year. Mr. POHE married, in 1867, Mary A. HESS, who has borne him two children: Seymour and Minnie G. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle 1887 Scott Township pg. 536)

FREDERICK W. REDEKER, M. D., Espy, is a native of Struken, Prussia, and was born November 12, 1853, to Henry William and Caroline (REIMER) REDEKER. His parents came to the United States in 1854 and settled in Philadelphia, where the father is still engaged in the cabinet-making business. Frederick W. was educated in the schools of Philadelphia, and at the age of twenty-one years began reading medicine with Dr. G. W. METZGER, of Hughesville, Lycoming Co., Penn. In 1875 he became a student at the Jefferson Medical College at Philadelphia, and graduated in 1878. He then began the practice of his profession at Exchange, Montour County, and in 1880 located at Espy, where he soon established a successful practice. Dr. REDEKER married, in 1874, Louise PFAFF, a native of Philadelphia, and four children have blessed their union: Caroline, Lillian, Laura and Raymond C. Dr. and Mrs. REDEKER are members of the Lutheran Church. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle 1887 Scott Township pg. 537)

WILLIAM C. ROBISON, retired farmer, P. O. Espy, was born near his present residence January 23, 1836, a son of John and Margaret (CHRISTMAN) ROBISON. The former was the first of the family to settle in Columbia County, locating in Bloomsburg, where he married, and in 1834 located in Espy. He was State supervisor of canals for four or five years and owned the farm of 140 acres just north of the present depot at Espy. He bought the place about 1834 and resided three the remainder of his life. During his early manhood he used to freight goods by team between Bloomsburg and the cities of New York and Philadelphia for the McKELVYs and others; the trip, driving both ways, occupied three or four weeks. By trade he was a tanner and operated a tannery near where the Catholic Church now stands on Third Street, in Bloomsburg. He was successful in acquiring a competence; was an elder of the Presbyterian Church for many years, and an honored life member of the Board of Foreign Missions of that church. He was elected and served one term in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, and always affiliated with the Democratic party. He died in 1871 at the age of eighty years, and his widow in January, 1885, aged eighty-four years. Both are buried in Rosemont Cemetery. They had a family of ten children, only five of whom are now living: Mary E., Huston, William C., Martha (wife of C. A. MOYER), and Lovilla (wife of H. W. KITCHEN). The old homestead is owned by William C. and Huston. William C. has been twice married; first in 1868 to Mary, daughter of Philip ACHENBACH. She died in the spring of 1869, and in June, 1885, he married Laura, daughter of Dr. William CASE, of Espy. Mr. ROBINSON is a member of the Presbyterian Church; politically a Democrat, and has served his vicinity in the school board for several years. He enlisted in 1862 in Company E, One Hundred and Thirty-second Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, took part in the battle of Antietam and served until the expiration of his term-nine months. He was mustered out at Harper's Ferry, Va., and during a part of his service was a corporal. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle 1887 Scott Township pg. 537)

ALEM BRITTON WHITE, merchant, Light Street, is a native of Fishingcreek Tp., Columbia County, and was born on the old BUCKALEW homestead, May 9, 1833, to Joseph and Lydia A. (ROBBINS) WHITE. His father was born in Light Street, March 25, 1800, and is a son of Peter and Elizabeth (BRITTON) WHITE, who settled in this county some time previous to 1800. Peter owned a farm near Light Street; was a Presbyterian and probably Scotch-Irish ancestry. He died in 1808 and is buried in the old Lutheran graveyard at Bloomsburg; his widow died some twenty years later and is buried by his side. Joseph WHITE married Lydia A. ROBBINS, who was born December 6, 1813, at a place called Iola, in Greenwood Township. They were married April 15, 1830. Mrs. WHITE was a daughter of John ROBBINS, a pioneer of Greenwood Township, where he was justice of the peace and surveyor for many years. John ROBBINS was a son of William ROBBINS, a native of New Jersey, and settled in Greenwood at a very early date. His wife was Mary WOODARD, and both died in 1850, within six weeks of each other and are buried in the old Methodist burying-ground in Greenwood Township. Our subject's parents had eight children: Sarah C., Alem B., Melesa J., John A., Mary E., Anna A., Harriet M. and Eliza R. The mother of this family died December 7, 1851, and her husband then married Deborah FOWLER, December 13, 1853, who bore him two children: Florence P. and Joseph E. The father died December 2, 1858, and is buried with his first wife in Greenwood Township. His widow lives with her son-in-law, N. H. WHITE, at Afton. Alem B. obtained his education at Greenwood Seminary, and when eighteen, began teaching school, which he followed until 1865, mostly in Bloom Academy and at Catawissa, also in Greenwood Seminary. In 1865 he became interested in mercantile business as clerk for J. J. BROWER, Esq., and in 1866 opened a store at Ashland, Schuylkill County. This he conducted for two and a half years, and was afterward with Mr. CREARY at Light Street, two years. In 1871 he bought the general stock of Peter ENT, and subsequently bought the buildings and grounds. Mr. WHITE in earlier life was a Democrat but since the war he became identified with the Republican party, but is now a Prohibitionist. He was appointed postmaster at Light street under Gen. Grant's second administration, and resigned the office in 1883, having served over eight years. He is a member of thirty-seven years' standing of the Methodist Church, and has served as steward and trustee for upward of fifteen years. Alem B. WHITE was married March 23, 1869, to Esther E. GEISINGER, who was born September 24, 1843, a daughter of Samuel GEISINGER of Orange Township. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle 1887 Scott Township pg. 537)

Back to