MONTOUR COUNTY, PA BIOGRAPHIES

ANTHONY TOWNSHIP

From "The History of Columbia and Mountour Counties"
Battle, 1887


 
B. F. ADAMS, farmer, P. O. Exchange, was born April 14, 1842, son of Thomas and Mary (McGONIGLE) ADAMS, both now deceased. Thomas ADAMS, the paternal grandfather of our subject, came to this county with his parents, and after marriage removed to where B. F. now lives. His father owned a large tract of land containing between 300 and 400 acres, and he divided that among his three sons, Thomas, William and John, Thomas getting the farm where our subject now lives. Thomas and Mary ADAMS were the parents of eleven children: Margaret J., Hannah N., Samuel and B. F. in Anthony Township, Montour County; Mary E. MOYER, in Kylertown; John (deceased), Houtzdale, Clearfield County; Sarah SOSERMAN (deceased), White Deer Mills, Union Co.; Capt W. Y., at Lock Haven, Centre County; Susan A. BRITTAIN, in Muncy, Lycoming County; Thomas and Daniel, in Mercer County, Ill. The father died November 26, 1846, and his widow survived him until June 18, 1874. They are buried in the old Derry Church graveyard. Our subject came into possession of his farm of 1633 acres in 1875. He was married in 1868 to Miss Elizabeth Caroline, daughter of Barnard and Catharine (FOCHT) RENN, and a native of Lycoming County; her mother died July 10, 1883. When Mr. ADAMS was married he lived one year at his father-in-law's, teaching school one term at Vandine and one term at Ball's schoolhouse, and then removed to beyond Hughsville, Penn., where he lived one year, railroading on the P. & E. From there he removed to the other side of Hughsville, and there resided three years, farming for Peter READER, and then removed to his present location. Mr. and Mrs. ADAMS are the parents of seven children: Ulysses Renn, John Brittain, Mary Catharine, Timothy Oliver, Daniel McGonigle, Estella Blanche and Ora Mabel. Mr. ADAMS and wife are members of Moreland Grange, No. 775, P. of H. He has held the position of tax collector for Anthony Township since the spring of 1886. In politics he is a Democrat. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle - 1887 Anthony Township pg. 180)

JACOB ALBECK, farmer, P. O. Muncy, was born in the kingdom of Wurtemburg (now the empire of Germany), August 4, 1823, son of Michael and Rosanna (HOSS) ALBECK, former of whom was a farmer in the old country. In 1830 they came to America in a sailing vessel, and after a voyage of forty-two days, landed at New York. They remained there long enough to buy a horse, and, with a wagon brought over from the old country, they started by wagon road, and eventually landed on the Muncy Hills, with their eight children. The names of these children are Gottlieb, in Anthony Township, this county: Michael, in Lycoming County, Penn.; George (deceased); John, in Danville, this county: Michael, in Lycoming County, Penn.; George (deceased); John, in Danville, this county; Jacob; Rosanna (deceased); Catharine (deceased); Christianna, wife of Isaac KISNER, in Clarkestown, Lycoming Co., Penn. The father settled where Jacob now resides, and here lived until his death, which occurred December 23, 1862; his widow died November 11, 1866; they bought sixty-two acres of land when they came, and Jacob has since added to it until he has now 143 acres. There were five acres cleared when they came. Our subject was married in this county September 11, 1851, to Miss Mary ANDY, a daughter of Daniel and Christiann (CARMLICH) ANDY, both of whom are deceased. Mr. and Mrs. ALBECK are the parents of six children, of whom five are living: William Henry; Daniel; Sarah, wife of Jacob WALLER, in Anthony Township; Emma and Ellen. Christiana is deceased. Mr. ALBECK and family are members of the Lutheran Church at Clarkestown, Lycoming County. He was tax collector for five years for Anthony Township, this county. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle - 1887 Anthony Township pg. 180)

JACKSON BIDDLE, farmer, P. O. White Hall, was born April 15, 1829, son of Jacob and Esther (RITTER) BIDDLE. Gershom BIDDLE, grandfather of our subject, came to this county from New Jersey, probably about 1780, and located near White Hall. He was the father of five children: Gershom, William, John, Jacob, and Jane, all of whom are dead. William, who was uncle of our subject, was an eminent citizen of Danville, and is mentioned elsewhere in this book. The family records show that several of the ancestors of this family took a prominent part during the Revolutionary war and war of 1812. Jacob BIDDLE, father of our subject, owned five large farms in this section, and was noted for his benevolence and public spirit, being greatly instrumental in the building of the Derry Presbyterian Church, the first church built in this part of the country. He married Esther RITTER, and they were the parents of fifteen children, seven of whom are living: Jackson; Henry, in White Hall, this county; Amos, in Kansas; Jacob, in California; James, in Anthony Township, this county, John, also in Anthony Township, and Mary, wife of Firman FARNSWORTH. Jackson BIDDLE, subject of this sketch, was reared on the farm where he now lives, and owns the old homestead of 125 acres, all under cultivation. This land was first improved by Israel BIDDLE, an uncle of his father. The homestead, where Jackson now resides, and the adjoining land owned by his brother James have been in the hands of the BIDDLE family since the earliest date of which there is any record. Our subject was first married March 22, 1860, to Miss Susan McKEE, daughter of Robert McKEE, one of the early settlers of the county. Mr. and Mrs. BIDDLE became the parents of three children: Cora, Jacob and Ella. Mr. BIDDLE married, the second time, September 18, 1886, Jane SMITH, daughter of John SMITH, of Columbia County, and niece of Creveling SMITH, deceased, who was formerly a member of the State Legislature of Pennsylvania. Mr. BIDDLE has been connected with the schools of Anthony Township as director for twelve years. In politics he is a Democrat. The BIDDLE family were originally of Scotch descent on the father's side, but the mother of our subject came from Berks County, Penn., and her family were originally German. James BIDDLE, who in company with Amos JOHNSON owns a prosperous establishment for raising chickens adjoining our subject's land, has been one of the greatest travelers of the county, having visited Canada, Mexico, Central America, Dakota, Kansas, Nebraska and California; spent three years in the last named state. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle - 1887 Anthony Township pg. 180)

CYRENUS BOMBOY, veterinary surgeon, P. O. Comly, was born in Rockland Township, Berks Co., Penn., January 21, 1817, son of Daniel and Elizabeth (PRICE) BOMBOY, former of whom died in Berks County, and the latter in Newcastle, Penn. Our subject was married in Berks County, and there remained until 1837, when he came to Northumberland County, and after a residence of twenty years there, came to what is now Anthony Township, this county, and located where Jesse HARTMAN now resides, and in 1868 located where he now resides, purchasing at that time 226 acres of land. Here he has made his home since that time. He was married in September, 1837, to Miss Naomi FOLK, a native of Berks County, Penn., daughter of Lewis and Elisabeth (BOMBOY) FOLK. Mr. and Mrs. BOMBOY were the parents of several children, of whom nine are living: Mary Ann, wife of Simon ROAN, in Northumberland County, Penn.; Daniel, married to Isabella ELLIS, in Anthony Township, this county; Elizabeth, wife of John France, in Susquehanna County, Penn.; Eliza Ann, wife of George F. VARNER, in Anthony Township, this county; Charles F., married to Dessie SAILOR, also in Anthony Township; Levina, wife of Daniel FRYE, in Lycoming County, Penn.; Katharine, wife of A. J. RUNYON, in Northumberland County, Penn.; John, married to Ellen ROBBINS, in Anthony Township, this county; Susan Matilda, at home; Franklin, Benjamin, Emma and an infant are deceased. Mr. and Mrs. BOMBOY are members of the German Reformed Church at Turbotville, Northumberland Co., Penn. Mr. BOMBOY has been a member of the Reformed Church for over half a century, and he was one of the leaders in building the Turbot Church, was one of its first deacons, and is now a trustee of the church. He has held the office of constable for twenty-two years in Anthony Township. Mr. BOMBOY has been for forty-nine years a veterinary surgeon, operating in Columbia, Northumberland, Lycoming and Montour Counties, and is often called to remote distances in different cases. Mr. BOMBOY has altogether 282 acres of land. In politics he has been a Democrat all his life. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle - 1887 Anthony Township pg. 181)

DANIEL BOMBOY, farmer, P. O. Exchange, was born in Delaware Township, Northumberland Co., Penn., October 21, 1840; son of Cyrenus and Emma (FULK) [sic] BOMBOY. Our subject removed with his parents to Montour County in 1860, and located near Exchange, Anthony Township, and has since resided here, with exception of the time he was in the army. He, being drafted, entered into the service of the Union army October, 1862, being mustered into the service at Danville in Company G, One Hundred and Seventy-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and was assigned to the Fourth Army Corps. He was in engagements at Williamsburg, White House Landing and Richmond. He returned home from the service in 1863. He was married in Lycoming County, September 29, 1864, to Miss Isabella, daughter of Stephen ELLIS, Sr., and Sarah (BULL) ELLIS, former of whom resides at Exchange. Isabella was born February 15, 1841. Her father was born in this State May 1, 1807; her mother was born July 12, 1816, this State, and her grandfather, Stephen ELLIS, was born in Ireland, and from there came to America, locating in Montour County, and lived here until his death, which occurred in 1845. His wife's maiden name was Eleanor CUNNINGHAM; they are buried at Exchange in the Episcopal graveyard. His father was a sea captain, and when he retired from sea life took up land near Baltimore, and finally went back to Donegal, Ireland, and there died. John BULL was born February 2, 1770; came from Derbyshire, England; died in 1855. His wife, Eleanor, came from Norfolk, England, to America, when she was twelve years of age; she died in 1862. Mr. and Mrs. BOMBOY are the parents of one child, Sarah Catherine. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. BOMBOY resided in Exchange two years, and then removed to the saw-mill one year, and then removed to Exchange, where they resided until 1880, since which time he has resided on his present farm, where he now has sixty-seven acres. He was in the tannery at Exchange for fourteen years. Mrs. BOMBOY is a member of the Protestant Episcopal denomination, Mr. BOMBOY of the German Reformed. In politics he is a Democrat. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle - 1887 Anthony Township pg. 181)

JAMES BRANNEN, farmer, P. O. Exchange, was born in County Meath, Ireland, in 1803, son of John and Julia (McGUIRE) BRANNEN, both of whom died in that country. On arriving at the age of eighteen years, our subject took a sailing vessel from Liverpool for New York, where he arrived after a passage of eight weeks and three days. He had $7.50 when he landed, and not a friend, relative or acquaintance on the continent. He came directly to Pennsylvania, and obtained employment on the canal at Nanticoke Falls, for the firm of Barnum & Brown, by which he was employed one year. From Nanticoke he went to Pottsville, and was employed on the construction of the Schuylkill Railroad. He was at Port Clinton when the engine used in the construction of this road arrived there, hauled by six horses from Philadelphia, and he was put on to fire this engine, thus has the honor of having been the first fireman on the first engine used in Pennsylvania. He was thus employed one year, and then went to work on the repairs of the railroad as section boss on three miles of the road. He next bought a canal boat and was for two years engaged in the coal-carrying trade from Port Clinton to Philadelphia, his boat being hired out, and he himself employed by the company. After two years he ran his won boat for two years more, and then bought another boat, and for twenty-one years he was in the carrying trade with them on the canal, he being one of the first to take a boat to New York. After leaving the canal he came to Anthony Township, this county, and bought 268 acres of land from the GLEN property. To this he has added from time to time until he now has four farms, comprising about 700 acres, besides other property, and is the largest land-holding farmer in this township. His sons are farming his property for him. Our subject was married at Port Carbon in 1834, to Miss Hanorah MEEHAN, a native of Tipperary, Ireland, born December 25, 1808, and daughter of Patrick MEEHAN. She died October 4, 1867, and is buried in the Catholic cemetery at Danville. Mr. and Mrs. BRANNEN were the parents of eight children; Judith (deceased); Mary (deceased); Catharine (deceased); John, who farms one of his father's places; William, who also farms one of his father's places; Hannah; James L., and Patrick Francis. Mr. BRANNEN and family are members of the Catholic Church. Mr. BRANNEN has held the office of overseer of the poor for eight years. In politics he is a Democrat. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle - 1887 Anthony Township pg. 182)

JAMES L. BRANNEN, late county treasurer, Exchange, was born in Anthony Township, Montour Co., Penn., July 22, 1855, son of James and Hanorah BRANNEN, and was reared to the age of twenty-three years on the farm. He married, at Milton, Penn., March 25, 1879, Miss Hannah M. SMITH, daughter of Jonas and Mary (BITLER) SMITH; she was born in Anthony township, this county, and her parents are now residents of Hazleton, Barber Co., Kas., where her father is a cattle dealer and farmer. Mr. BRANNEN commenced his education in the common schools of the township, and from there went to the academy at Tourbotville, Penn., and from that institution progressed to the State normal at Bloomsburg, where he attended thirty-two weeks. After that he taught in the public schools of Anthony Township two terms, and from there went to Binghamton, N. Y., to attend Lowell Business College, from which institution he graduated May 23, 1878. While there he studied telegraphy and took a complete commercial course. He then returned to Montour County, and going to Danville in 1879 commenced hotel-keeping, conducting the "Hudson River House" for four years. While there, in 1882, he was appointed chairman of the Democratic committee and held that position one year. In 1883 he came before the people as a candidate for the nomination for county treasurer, and at the convention received every vote cast. At the election he received a majority of 777, he and Dr. SIMONSON receiving the largest majorities at that election. He commenced hotel-keeping at Exchange in February, 1886. This hotel first opened as the "Columbia Exchange," by Joseph LEVERS, and he conducted it something over a year. It was never conducted as a hotel until it was again re-opened by Mr. BRANNEN. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle - 1887 Anthony Township pg. 182)

JOHN C. CALDWELL (deceased). The CALDWELL ancestors originally immigrated from the North of Ireland immediately after the close of the Revolution, arriving here about the year 1785. There were four brothers, all married, and who left a large circle of descendants. John, the father of John C. CALDWELL, was married to Martha CALHOUN about the year 1787, and settled on the farm near Exchange, by which marriage he had eight children consisting of five sons and three daughters. John C. CALDWELL, the youngest of the family, married in 1852, Miss Elizabeth J. POLLOK, and left one daughter, Miss Martha J., who resides on the homestead. Mr. CALDWELL followed farming until he became too feeble. The farm upon which John C. was born remained in the hands of the heirs until 1866, when he moved to a farm adjoining, where he resided at the time of his death, and is still retained by his daughter, Martha J. John C. CALDWELL died September 2, 1883, and Mrs. CALDWELL died January 24, 1885. Both are interred in the Derry Church graveyard. Mrs. CALDWELL was a member of Derry church. Mrs. John C. CALDWELL was a daughter of James and Elizabeth POLLOCK, who came of the early Scotch-Irish element, who established a character of purity and uprightness, and the influence of which has its hold upon the descendants. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle - 1887 Anthony Township pg. 182)

JAMES CAREY, retired, P. O. White Hall, was born August 1, 1822, in Anthony Township, Montour County, Penn., about one and a quarter miles from White Hall, son of John and Hannah (SAYLOR) CAREY, former of whom came to this country from Ireland and settled at Norristown where he was married, from there removing to the vicinity of Exchange, and from there to the place where our subject was born. Here he died, December 5, 1851, at the age of eighty years; his widow died March 27, 1857, aged seventy-six years. They are buried at the Derry Presbyterian Church. They were the parents of sixteen children, of whom eleven were reared, seven now living. James CAREY, subject of this sketch, was reared in this county, and has spent his life in Anthony Township with the exception of from 1852 to 1867, when he was in Lycoming County, Penn. He was married in Montour County, May 7, 1847, to Rachel, daughter of Michael and Martha (CORNELIUS) HENDERSHOTT, former of whom died in 1870; latter is still living. After their marriage they lived in Danville one year, and then came to Anthony Township, this county, and after two years to the Muncy Hills; and then after fifteen years to his present location. He bought the White Hall Hotel in 1867 and has since made some improvements. Mr. and Mrs. CAREY were the parents of nine children: Charles, born August 11, 1847, died May 4, 1850; Henry Clarence, born February 11, 1849, residing in Madison Township, Columbia County, Penn.; Anna Eliza, born February 8, 1851, wife of Henry MOSER at Turbotville; Charles, born April 14, 1853, lives near Jerseytown in Madison Township; John Green, born November 27, 1855, now in Michigan; George, born January 27, 1858, at home; William Lloyd, born March 10, 1860, now in California; Emma Elizabeth, born April 10, 1862, and Thomas Benton, born April 29, 1864. Mr. CAREY commenced to learn the trade of wagon-maker at the age of sixteen years with William HENDERSHOTT with whom he worked two years, and he followed that until 1861 when he commenced wheelwrighting. In fifteen years he accumulated $6,000 by hard labor. In 1884 he retired from active labor, and now only attends to his property. He owns the White Hall Hotel property and has 113 acres of land in Anthony Township, this county. He has held the office of supervisor of the township, and while in Lycoming County he held the offices of tax collector, supervisor and other local offices. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle - 1887 Anthony Township pg. 182)

OSCAR CRAIG, farmer, P. O. Washingtonville, Columbia County, was born in what is now Anthony Township, this county, near Exchange, July 19, 1829, son of Alexander and Elizabeth (HENDERSHOTT) CRAIG. John CRAIG, grandfather of our subject, was born in Lancaster County, but his parents came to this country from Scotland. When he came to what is now Montour County, John CRAIG located near Exchange, and there lived until he died. He and his wife are buried in the Derry graveyard. They were the parents of four children, all deceased: John J., Alexander, Jane and Margaret. Alexander CRAIG, father of our subject, was reared in this township, and bought 100 acres, or half of the old homestead. He was married to Elizabeth HENDERSHOTT, and they were the parents of seven children: Isaac, in La Grange County, Ind.; John, a Methodist minister in Webster County, Mo., died October 30, 1886; Robert, in this township; Oscar; Margaret Jane, deceased wife of John B. LEVAN; Oliver B., in Waldo, Webster Co., Mo.; and Samantha, who died at the age of three years. Oscar CRAIG, subject of this sketch, was married in Limestone Township, this county, December 8, 1853, to Miss Margaret J., daughter of Charles and Mary (FOLLMER) LEVAN, the former of whom is deceased, and after their marriage they lived with his parents for one year, and the succeeding sixteen years in Limestone Township, this county. Mr. CRAIG removed to his present location in 1871, and by different purchases has accumulated 134 acres of land. He built his present handsome barn in 1877. Mr. and Mrs. CRAIG were the parents of seven children, of whom four are living: Elizabeth, wife of W. L. RAUP, in Milton, Penn. (she was educated at Williamsport Seminary); John E., who attended Bloomsburg Normal, several terms; Jennie S., who attended Williamsport Seminary; and Anna Margaret. Torrence O., Charles A. and William W. are deceased. Mr. and Mrs. CRAIG attend the Methodist Church. He has held the position of auditor of Anthony Township; is a member of the I. O. O. F., Washingtonville Lodge, No. 759, and of Exchange Grange, No. 65, P. of H. Solomon LEVAN, grandfather of Mrs. CRAIG, was descendant of one of the five brothers who came from France to America and located in Northampton Co. There all remained with the exception of Mrs. CRAIG's grandfather, who came to what is now Montour County, Penn., and here lived until he died near Limestoneville. He died in 1828. His wife's maiden name was Mary BALLIET and she died about 1868. They are buried in the Paradise Church graveyard, Northumberland County, Penn. Charles LEVAN, father of Mrs. CRAIG, the oldest of his parents' sons, was born in 1800, in Northampton County, Penn., and from there removed to this county, where he married Mary FOLLMER. They were the parents of eight children, four now living: John, in Shelbyville, Shelby Co., Mo.; Margaret, wife of Oscar CRAIG; Daniel, residing below Limestoneville; and Susan, wife of Morgan MOUREY, in Watsontown, Penn. Jacob is deceased; Catharine is the deceased wife of George PRICE; Elizabeth, wife of Benjamin HANSEL, died in Vicksburg while visiting her husband, who was serving in the Union army at that place. Henry died at the age of one year. Charles LEVAN, father of the above, died February 13, 1881, and is buried in the Paradise Church Cemetery. His widow resides at Watsontown, Penn., with her daughter, Mrs. MOUREY. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle - 1887 Anthony Township pg. 183)

PATRICK DINENN, farmer, P. O. Exchange, was born in County Meath, Ireland, in 1824, son of Sylvester and Catharine DINENN, former of whom was a farmer in Ireland. When our subject reached the age of twenty-six years he emigrated to America, leaving Liverpool April 1, 1847, and arriving at New York on May 14, following. He remained on Long Island six months with a man named Benjamin BENT, an iron merchant of New York. He next lived about six months with Tiffany, Young & Ellis, of New York; thence came to Pennsylvania and worked six weeks in the mines at Pottsville. From there he went to the Central Railroad, and after six weeks came to Danville, and having quite a lot of horses took contracts for hauling ore from the mines, etc., being thus engaged about ten years, from October, 1848 to 1858. He then bought the old GLEN farm of 112 acres in Anthony Township, this county, to which he has added from time to time, until he now has three fine farms, aggregating about 500 acres with homesteads and improvements. His home residence is supplied with all good, substantial and new improvements, made by Mr. DINENN himself. To show the progress Mr. DINENN has made, it may be said that when he came to Long Island he had two old country sovereigns, and when he came to Danville he worked for two years for 75 cents a day, and paid his own board. He was married in Danville, May 27, 1852 (Father Michael SHERIDAN performing the ceremony) to Miss Jane LAFFERTY, whose father, a native of County Antrim, Ireland, died in 1847. Mr. and Mrs. DINENN were the parents of the following named children: Sylvester (deceased), Kate (deceased), Bryan, John, Mary, Ann, Sadie, Patrick, William, Sylvester, Thomas (deceased), and Annie (deceased). Mr. and Mrs. DINENN are members of the Catholic Church. Mr. DINENN has been connected with the schools of the township as director for six years. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle - 1887 Anthony Township pg. 183)

WILLIAM ELLIS, farmer, P. O. Exchange, was born and reared in Anthony Township, and has always made it his home; he is the son of Stephen and Sarah ELLIS. His grandfather, Stephen ELLIS, was born in Ireland, and from there came to America, locating at first permanently in Anthony Township, this county. His father was a sea captain, and when he retired from sea life took up land near Baltimore, and finally went back to Donegal, Ireland, and there died. Stephen ELLIS, Sr., assisted his cousin at Juniata, Penn., in surveying, before coming to this county. He followed farming after coming here and lived here until his death, which occurred in 1845 at the age of eighty-two years. His widow, whose maiden name was Eleanor CUNNINGHAM, survived him a few years; they are buried at Exchange, in the Episcopal graveyard, they having been members of that church. John BULL, father of Sarah ELLIS, was born in Derbyshire, England, on the 2d of February, 1770. He came to America in 1801, and located in Elkland Township, Lycoming County; he was married there, and moved to Anthony Township, Montour County, where he died on the 5th of November, 1855. His wife, Eleanor BIRD, was born in Norfolk, England; she came to America with here parents when she was about twelve years of age. She died on the 13th of April, 1862. Stephen ELLIS, father of William, John and James ELLIS, was born in Anthony Township, Montour County, on the 1st of May, 1807, and lived here all his life, following farming which he carried on until about 1876, since which time he has lived retired from active labor, and now resides at Exchange. William ELLIS, subject of this sketch was married in Lycoming County, September 12, 1880, to Miss Annie SHETLER, a native of Columbia County, Penn., and daughter of John SHETLER; her father now resides in Madison Township, Columbia Co., Penn.; her mother died in May, 1883. William and Annie ELLIS are the parents of four children: Stephen, William, John and James. Mr. and Mrs. ELLIS are both members of the Episcopal Church at Exchange. In politics he is a Democrat. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle - 1887 Anthony Township pg. 184)

MAHLAN HAGERMAN, farmer, P. O. Comly, was born in Northampton County, May 22, 1813, son of Joshua and Susannah (DILTZ) HAGERMAN, former of whom with two brothers came to Northampton County, Penn., from New Jersey. Joshua was the father of five children, of whom Mahlan is the fourth. Our subject was reared in Northampton County, Penn., and in 1841 removed to what is now Anthony Township, this county, and located where his son Joshua now resides; he has resided here ever since, and now has over 140 acres of land, and put up all his present improvements. He was married in Northampton County, October 22, 1838, to Miss Catharine, daughter of John and Hannah WEIDMAN, former of whom died in 1840, latter about 1870, and they are buried in Northampton County. They were the parents of six children, five now living: Sarah Ann, wife of Charles SMITH, in Limestone Township; Joshua, married to Sarah ALBECK, in Anthony Township, this county; John, married to Amanda SNYDER, in Northumberland County, Penn.; Susan Ellen, wife of William WEIR, in Ohio; Harriet Catharine, wife of S. FORD, in Hancock County, Ohio; Jacob is deceased. Mr. HAGERMAN has been supervisor three terms, and overseer of the poor eight terms. He has altogether 364 acres of land. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle - 1887 Anthony Township pg. 184)

B. F. JOHNSTON, farmer, P. O. White Hall, was born in Madison Township, Columbia Co., Penn., November 11, 1835, son of Jonathan and Charity YEAGER JOHNSTON, former of whom was born December 9, 1809, died April 1, 1880, and latter born February 7, 1811, died February 9, 1885hey are buried at Jerseytown, Penn. Robert JOHNSTON, great-grandfather of our subject, came to Columbia County from New Jersey about 1796. His parents were of Scotch birth. He bought land in Madison Township, Columbia Co., and there he lived until his death. He had about 100 acres of land. His wife's maiden name was KITCHEN. They are both buried in the Jerseytown Cemetery. John JOHNSTON, grandfather of B. F., was born in New Jersey and came to Columbia County with his parents. He was married to Mary ROBBINS. They both lived in Madison Township, Columbia County, until their death, and are buried at Jerseytown. They had seven children: Wesley, Jonathan, Robert, William, Eliza, Sarah and Nancy, all deceased except William who lives in Jerseytown. Jonathan JOHNSTON, father of B. F., was born at Millville, Penn., and resided in Madison Township, Columbia County all his life. He was married to Charity YEAGER, and they were the parents of Henry James, B. F., Harriet, Robert, Eliza, Amos, Catharine, William, Sarah Florence, and one deceased named John. The subject of this sketch was reared in Columbia County, and educated in the common schools of his township at Millville, and at the State normal at Millersburg, and came to his present location in 1870, where he has 200 acres of land. He was married January 31, 1868, to Miss Susan J. FRUIT, and they are the parents of four children: Nellie C., Lizzie R., Horace J. and George F. Mr. JOHNSTON is a director of the schools of this township. He enlisted August 24, 1862, in Company E., One Hundred and Thirty-second Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, serving in the Second Army Corps, and was in engagements at Antietam, Fredericksburg, and Chancellorsville. He served ten months, was discharged and returned home. He again enlisted March 20, 1865, and served at Camp Cadwallader until the close of the war. In politics he is a Republican. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle - 1887 Anthony Township pg. 184)

JOHN KREAMER, farmer, P. O. White Hall, was born in Philadelphia, Penn., June 27, 1829, son of Conrad and Catharine (BOWMAN) KREAMER. Our subject was reared in Philadelphia to the age of four years, when his parents removed to the vicinity of White Hall, this county, but in Madison Township, Columbia County, and there and in Montour County he has spent the remainder of his lifetime, with the exception of two years in Illinois. He worked in the dam at Towanda two years, and lumbered in Centre County, Penn., one winter, which he also followed eight years while living in Madison Township, lumbering over the mountains from the North Mountain to Pottsville, Schuylkill County. During those eight years he only laid by one day on account of stormy weathere was married March 5, 1857, to Martha J., a daughter of John DERR. She died in October, 1859, and is buried at West Paw Paw Grove, Lee Co., Ill., leaving one child; Effie Catharine, wife of David COX, in Madison Township, Columbia Co., Penn., on the old homestead. Mr. KREAMER was next married in December, 1862, to Jane D., a daughter of Christopher and Mary (UPP) DERR, and by her has two children; Mary Margaret and Annie Phoebe. Mr. KREAMER bought his present farm in 1874, and moved to it in March, 1875. It consisted of eighty-three acres when he bought it, but he now has 105 acres. He has one of the finest farms in the township. Mr. and Mrs. KREAMER are members of the White Hall Baptist Church, as are also all the family. Mr. KREAMER is at present overseer of the poor, which office he previously held one term of four years. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle - 1887 Anthony Township pg. 185)

JACOB KREAMER, farmer, P. O. White Hall, was born in Madison Township, Columbia Co., Penn., January 16, 1839, son of Conrad and Catharine (BOWMAN) KREAMER; the former, born in Germany in 1800, came to America and first settled at Philadelphia. Our subject spent his early life in Columbia County, Penn., and in 1850 went to Lock Haven, Penn., where he commenced lumbering. In 1865 he came to his present location in Anthony Township, bought 148 acres of land from George W. SUPLEE, now of Bloomsburg, Penn., and made all the improvements except building the house. He was married July 4, 1865, at Muncy, Penn., to Miss Mary McBRIDE, daughter of William McBRIDE, and they have seven children: William S., Thomas C., Charles, Frank L., Clyde, Roy and Clara. Mrs. KREAMER and eldest child are members of the Baptist Church. Mr. KREAMER is now connected with the lumber business, and has a saw-mill in Madison Township, Columbia County, in partnership with his brother-in-law, William MOORE. They have 100 acres of timber land in Madison Township, Columbia County, and twenty-one in this township. In politics Mr. KREAMER is a Democrat. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle - 1887 Anthony Township pg. 185)

WILLIAM McBRIDE, farmer, P. O. White Hall, was born in Derry Township, Montour Co., Penn., February 5, 1812, a son of James and Mary (DERR) McBRIDE. James McBRIDE was a young man when he came to Montour County. He was a carpenter, and when he arrived in the county, located at Fruitstown (now known as White Hall), and followed that trade here until his death. He was married in this county to Miss Mary DERR, a native of Montour County, and a member of an old settler's family. Mr. and Mrs. James McBRIDE were the parents of seven children, of whom three are living: Eliza, widow of Thomas CHAMBERLAIN, in Lafayette County, Wis.; Margaret, widow of Evan HENDERSHOTT, in Lenawee County, Mich., and William. Mollie, Frederick, Hugh and Jane are buried in the Derry Presbyterian graveyard. William McBRIDE, subject of this sketch, has resided all his life at the place of his birth. When he was fourteen years of age he commenced to clerk in the store of his uncle, John F. DERR, and remained with him in that capacity until 1841. He then entered into partnership with his uncle, and this business relationship continued until 1855, when, his uncle dying, Mr. McBRIDE became exclusive proprietor of the store, and so remained about eleven years, when he took in his son, J. S., as partner. The firm was so continued until 1884, when the father retired from his interest in the store, and since that time the son has conducted the business alone. Mr. McBRIDE married, in Lycoming County, Penn., April 1, 1841, Miss Mary Ann SMITH, a native of Lycoming County, and daughter of Jonathan and Anna SMITH. She died June 29, 1885, and is buried in the White Hall graveyard. By this marriage there were seven children, of whom six are living: J. S., married to Miss Abbie CARNAHAN, at White Hall; Mary, wife of Jacob KREAMER, in Anthony Township, this county; Sarah Ann, wife of William MOORE, also in Anthony Township; Maggie; Emma, wife of David HARMAN, in Hazleton, Luzerne Co., Penn., and William. An infant unnamed is deceased. Mr. McBRIDE is a member of the Baptist Church, as was also his wife. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle - 1887 Anthony Township pg. 185)

JONATHAN S. McBRIDE was born July 2, 1842, in the village of white Hall, this county, son of William and Mary Ann (SMITH) McBRIDE. He has always lived in White Hall, and since a boy has been in the store of his father. In the spring of 1866 he formed a co-partnership with his father which continued until 1884, when he conducted the whole business and owns the stock himself. The store is the only one in White Hall at present. Mr. McBRIDE married, December 6, 1864, Miss Abbie CARNAHAN, daughter of A. J. and Elizabeth CARNAHAN, now in Illinois, and they have four children: Elmer, Lizzie, Mary B. and Harry C. Mr. McBRIDE is a member of the I. O. O. F., and is postmaster in White Hall. In politics he is a Democrat. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle - 1887 Anthony Township pg. 185)

DR. MONTRAVILLE McHENRY, Exchange, was born near Rohrsburg, Columbia Co., Penn., January 13, 1836. He is the eldest son of Benjamin and Lavina (CONER) McHENRY. The former resides in Benton, Columbia Co., Penn., and is of Irish descent; the latter died in 1884, and is buried in the Benton Cemetery. They were the parents of seven sons and two daughters. One daughter and six sons are living, prosperous and respected citizens of the communities in which they live. Our subject spent his early life on the farm, attending school during the winters, until he was twenty years of age. He afterward attended the Millville Seminary, and the academy at New Columbus several summers, teaching school during the winters. In 1864 he commenced the study of medicine with Dr. BARRETT, of Cambra, Luzerne Co., Penn. He took his first course of lectures at the Medical College of Burlington, Vt., a second at Ann Arbor University, Mich., and a part of a third at Burlington, where he graduated. He was soon afterward married to Mrs. Dorcas Freece LYONS, nee FOWLER, of Pine Summit, Columbia Co., Penn. Dr. McHENRY commenced the practice of medicine in Exchange, Montour County, in 1868. Not finding a house to rent and wishing to enjoy the comforts of a home, he immediately purchased two acres of land adjoining the village, and erected a good two-story house. He also built a barn and planted fruit and ornamental trees, making a pleasant and comfortable home. He attended closely to business and soon had plenty of patients. He was seldom absent more than a day at a time until 1876, when, with his wife, daughter and step-son he spent two weeks at the Centennial Exposition, at Philadelphia. In the spring of 1878, accompanied by his wife and daughter, Birdie, he started on a tour through the Eastern and Middle States, stopping at all the principal cities and summer resorts. They first went to Philadelphia, Long Branch and New York; thence up the Hudson to Troy; thence to Rutland and Burlington, Vt., where they remained several weeks, enjoying the beautiful scenery. The Doctor also attended lectures while in Burlington. They visited the White Mountains, Old Orchard Beach, Portland, Boston, Newport, New Haven, Saratoga, Ticonderoga, Niagra Falls, Canada, Rochester and Watkin's Glen; thence home by way of Elmira, Minnequa Spring and Williamsport, having made a pleasant trip through nine States. Thinking he could better his prospects by locating in Kansas or Missouri, in the fall of 1878 he sold his property in Exchange, and in the spring of 1879, accompanied by his family, he visited the West with the intention of locating if he could find a suitable place. To make the trip one of pleasure as well as business, they went by way of Philadelphia, Wilmington, Baltimore, Washington, White Sulphur Springs, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Kansas City and Carthage City, Mo., traveling only by day and spending several days in places of interest. One of the most interesting places visited was the Osage Agency in the Indian Territory. The large swarthy Indians, with painted faces, ears slitted and full of rings, door keys and other trinkets, heads partly shaven, no clothing but a breech cloth and a bright red and blue blanket, made a picture that will long be remembered, especially by Birdie, who was then nearly nine years old. The Doctor bought two white ponies from the Indians, giving one to his wife and the other to Birdie. These ponies are still the pets of the family. After traveling hundreds of miles over the prairie, and visiting many towns without finding a place they would like to make their home, they returned to Pennsylvania, stopping for a few days in Chicago, Cleveland and Erie, Penn. Dr. McHENRY remained in Bloomsburg in the fall and winter, and in the spring returned to Exchange. He bought fifteen acres of land adjoining his former home, and erected a handsome structure with bay and dormer windows, verandas, gables and tower, from which can be seen many miles of the surrounding country; he built a good barn and planted over 100 evergreen trees on the lawn surroundin DOUGLAS, a side heir, who came into possession through the lapse of time. Mrs. McHENRY was born April 5, 1837, near Fowlersville, Columbia Co., Penn., receiving her education in the public school. She was married in her nineteenth year, to Robert J. LYONS, of Lycoming county, eldest son of Joseph and Sarah LYONS, now deceased. Mr. LYONS owned a large farm at Pine Summit, Columbia County, where they resided until 1865, when he joined the Union Army, in Company I, Seventy-seventh P. V. V., and died in the service at Victoria, Tex., October 21, 1865, and was buried in Victoria Cemetery. Mr. and Mrs. LYONS had one son living, Fowler LYONS, born January 17, 1861, at Pine Summit. After Mrs. LYONS' marriage to Dr. McHENRY her son lived with them at Exchange. He attended the public schools, the normal school at Muncy, Penn., and Eastman College, at Poughkeepsie, N. N. He also studied medicine with the intention of engaging in pharmacy, but after assisting in a drug store for a time, and looking for a place to locate, he decided not to engage in the business. At the age of twenty-two he was married to Martha E., daughter of Hon. John C. ELLIS, of Exchange, now deceased, and Jane, his wife. He then removed to the farm his father had left him at Pine Summit, purchased stock, hired help and went to farming in good spirit. But the farm was too large, and had been rented for eighteen years, consequently it was not in the flourishing condition his father had left it, and he decided to sell it and try his fortune in the West. He sold his farm to his uncle, Jerry FOWLER, his stock, farming implements, household goods, etc., at public sale, and went to Texas. After traveling over the greater part of the State he purchased property in Wichita Falls, Tex. A few months afterward his wife was taken very sick with fever, and the climate being so much warmer than she was accustomed to, her recovery was slow. Fearing she could not stand the heat another summer they returned to Pennsylvania, and after a few months went to Nebraska and settled in Dawes County, where Mr. LYONS owns 460 acres of landhis farm he is improving with the intention of making it a stock farm in the future. He retains his property in Wichita Falls, Tex., and expects it to become valuable in a few years, as it has every prospect of becoming a large and prosperous city. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle - 1887 Anthony Township pg. 186)

JACKSON P. McKEE, farmer, P. O. Comly, was born in the place where he now resides in Anthony Township, Montour Co., Penn., October 12, 1830, son of James and Harriet (SCOUT) McKEE, the latter a native of this county. Robert McKEE, grandfather of our subject, came to what is now Montour County in 1794, and located about a mile up the creek from Exchange, afterward moving to the place where Jackson P. now resides, and here lived until his death. He was married to Agnes CRAIG, and died in 1832, his widow surviving him about four years; they are buried at the Derry Presbyterian Church. They had four children of whom only one, James, was married. Robert McKEE served in the Revolutionary war. James McKEE, father of our subject, was born in Chester County, Penn., and was the third in order of age of the children of Robert McKEE. He was eight years of age when the family came to this county, and when he grew up, his father, brothers and himself bought between 400 and 500 acres of land, of which J. P. now owns 195 acres. They found this land covered with a heavy growth of oak timber, and they struck the first ax into the improvement of this land, and put up a log cabin on this place with the timber they had cut down in making the first clearing. James McKEE died March 29, 1863, his wife having died in 1832. They were the parents of eleven children, of whom only two are living: James and Jackson P.; the latter being the only one in this county. Our subject was married February 2, 1863, to Margaret Ellen, daughter of David WILSON, also a member of an early settler family, and who is now living in Anthony Township, this county. Mr. McKEE learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed one year. He was general agent for the Buckeye reaper when it first came out, and followed that business three or four years, having entire control of their agents during that time. He was in Kankakee County, Ill., fifteen months, and there owned land at that time. Mr. McKEE's home is situated on Muncy Hill, and it presents the finest view in Pennsylvania, the valleys in Snyder, Union, Northumberland, Columbia, Lycoming, Sullivan and Montour Counties being visible from his place. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle - 1887 Anthony Township pg. 187)

WILLIAM McVICKER, retired, P. O. White Hall, was born in what is now Anthony Township, Montour Co., Penn., April 21, 1814, son of James and Sarah (MILLER) McVICKER. William McVICKER, the grandfather of our subject, was born in Ireland, immigrated to America, and located in Northampton County, Penn., whence he came to what is now Anthony Township, this county, and bought 120 acres of land, to which he afterward added more. He found two acres of this land, only, cleared. He lived on this place until he died. He was born April 3, 1733, and died in 1808; his wife, whose maiden name was Eleanor NELSON, had preceded him in death. They are buried in the Derry Presbyterian Church graveyard. He (the grandfather) was a shoemaker by occupation, and our subject has some of his tools in his possession. James McVICKER, father of our subject was born in 1790, in Northampton county, Penn., and was but a child when his parents came to this county. He was married in this county to Miss Sarah MILLER, and they were the parents of twelve children--six sons and six daughters--two surviving: Rebecca, wife of J. K. SHULTZ, in Derry Township, and William. The father died in March 1869; his wife died in February, 1862. William McVICKER, subject of this sketch, was married in this county, March 2, 1841, to Miss Mary CRAIG, daughter of Samuel and Jane (MILLER) CRAIG, natives of Pennsylvania and early settlers in Montour County, whence they removed in 1820, to Clarke County, Ohio, where Mrs. McVICKER was born. Both her parents died there and are buried in the Muddy Run Cemetery, in Clarke County. Mr. and Mrs. McVICKER were the parents of six children, of whom four are living: Samuel Craig, at Watsontown, Penn.; Wilson C.; Sarah E., widow of James SCHOOLEY, in White Deer Valley, Northumberland Co., Penn.; John R., in Anthony Township, this county; Emma Jane and Mary Luella are deceased. Mr. and Mrs. McVICKER are members of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. McVICKER has sixty-five acres of land in Anthony Township. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle - 1887 Anthony Township pg. 188)

(see above sketch)
WILSON C. McVICKER was born within one-half a mile of where he now resides, and has always made his home in this township. He bought his present farm of seventy-four acres in the spring of 1868. He also has a wood lot in Columbia County of fourteen and one-half acres. He was married in Montour County, February 4, 1868, to Miss Ada M., a native of Bradford County, and a daughter of James and Margaret PICKARD; former deceased and buried in Bradford Cemetery; latter makes her home with her daughter, Mrs. McVICKER. Mr. and Mrs. McVICKER are the parents of one child, Laura Alice. They are members of Derry Presbyterian Church. Mr. McVICKER is a member of Exchange Grange, No. 65, P. of H. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle - 1887 Anthony Township pg. 188)

(see above sketch)
JOHN R. McVICKER, the youngest son of William and Mary (CRAIG) McVICKER, was born in this township, September 25, 1851, and was reared in the township where he now resides. He was brought up to farm life, and makes his home with his brother, Wilson C. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle - 1887 Anthony Township pg. 188)

WILLIAM S. POLLOCK, farmer, P. O. Exchange, was born in what is now Anthony township, Montour County, July 8, 1822, a son of James and Elizabeth (SCOUT) POLLOCK. The paternal grandfather of our subject came to this country from the North of Ireland, and located in Pennsylvania, coming first to one of the lower counties, thence to Northumberland, now Montour County, locating near Exchange, his tract of 200 acres being now partly owned by Patrick DINENN, and partly by William POLLOCK. Here he lived until he died. He and his wife are both buried at Derry Presbyterian Church. James POLLOCK, father of William S., was born in one of the lower counties of Pennsylvania, and came to this locality with his parents. He was married in this county to Miss Elizabeth SCOUT, and they at first lived on the part of the old homestead which is now owned by Patrick DINENN. In 1823 he went to the vicinity of Muncy, Lycoming Co., Penn., and there resided until 1837, when he returned to what is now Montour County, and located on the old homestead which he had bought two years previously, and here he lived until his death, his wife having preceded him. They are buried at the Derry Church. They were the parents of twelve children, of whom four are living: Thomas, in Muncy Creek Township, Lycoming County, Penn.; William S., Jane Harriet, wife of Henry BIDDLE, in White Hall, this county, and Effie D. The subject of this sketch was born while the family lived on land belonging to Patrick DINENN, and the next spring his parents removed to Muncy Creek, and after fifteen years returned to Montour County, where he has lived ever since with the exception of eighteen months spent in the West. He was married December 25, 1855, to Miss Susan McKEE, daughter of James McKEE. After marriage they made their home for eighteen months at Kankakee and Freeport, Ill., and on returning to Montour County, located on the eastern part of the old homestead. Mrs. POLLOCK died May 16, 1861, and is buried in the Derry Churchyard. She was the mother of two children: James B., born in Freeport, Ill., now living below Washingtonville, in Liberty Township, this county; Bruce B., born in this township, where he now lives on his father's land on the eastern part of the old homestead. Mr. POLLOCK was next married March 14, 1873, by Rev. John JOHNSON, to Margaret Elizabeth, daughter of Col. John F. DERR, a colonel in the army that went to Black Rock in 1812. Mr. and Mrs. POLLOCK are members of the Presbyterian Church, the former joining about 1851, and the latter in 1862. Mr. POLLOCK has been for twenty-one years an elder in the church. He has been supervisor of the township, and has held the office of assessor, judge, etc. In politics he is a Prohibitionist; he has 100 acres of land. He is a full cousin to ex-Gov. POLLOCK. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle - 1887 Anthony Township pg. 188)

DAVID SMITH, farmer and United State mail carrier, P. O. Exchange, was born in what is now Anthony Township, this county, where Samuel SMITH now lives, September 10, 1842, son of John and Hannah (STUFFLICK) SMITH. John SMITH, father of David, came to this county from Lehigh and settled where Samuel now resides about 1835. He was married in Lehigh County, to Miss Hannah STUFFLICK, and when they came to Montour County he bought 200 acres, and to this he added until he had 400 acres at the time of his death, which occurred April 25, 1879; his widow survived him until October, 1882. They are buried in Turbotville German Reformed Cemetery. John SMITH was always a farmer, and was a strict member of the church. Mr. and Mrs. John SMITH were the parents of twelve children, of which David is eleventh. Our subject was reared at the place of his birth, and was married September 26, 1865, to Miss Ellen DIEFFENBACHER, a native of Derry Township, this county, and daughter of Benjamin and Sophia (TROXELL) DIEFFENBACHER, former of whom was born in Derry Township, this county, May 11, 1812, and latter in Lehigh County, Penn., in 1823. She died July 31, 1876, and is buried at the Strawberry Ridge Church. Mr. Benjamin DIEFFENBACHER was one of the organizers of that church. He now makes his home with his three daughters: Mrs. William BERGER, Mrs. Joel BITLER, and Mrs. David SMITH. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. David SMITH removed to their present location, and since that time they have made all the improvements on the place, with the exception of the barn. The house was built at a cost of between $2,000 and $2,500, besides the labor. They are the parents of eight children, of whom five are living: William Grant; Ella Minta May; Benjamin Franklin and John Edmund, Elmira and Lillie Birdie. Mr. SMITH received his commission to carry the mails daily between Danville and Exchange, from the United States Government in July, 1885. Mr. and Mrs. SMITH are members of the Strawberry Ridge Reformed Church, as is also their eldest son. Mr. SMITH in politics is a Republican. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle - 1887 Anthony Township pg. 189)

JACOB SNYDER, farmer, P. O. Exchange, was born November 12, 1842, son of Andrew and Elizabeth (DEWALT) SNYDER, former of whom died June 30, 1886, latter still residing on the old homestead. Our subject was reared at the place of his birth, and made his home with his parents until his marriage, November 28, 1871, with Miss Elizabeth Eleanor ELLIS, a daughter of Stephen ELLIS, Sr., and Sarah BULL, who now reside at Exchange, and whose father and grandfather initiated the Episcopal Church at Exchange. One year after their marriage they removed to another farm in Limestone Township, this county, and after one year there, Mrs. SNYDER's father bought their present farm of 157 acres for them. They found this place all covered with timber and brush, but they set to work and cleared up a good portion of it. It was splendid timber land covered with rock oak, chestnut, pine, etc. Mr. and Mrs. SNYDER are the parents of five children: Sarah Isabella, Stephen Ellis, Annie Clara, James Jefferson and William Daniel. Mr. and Mrs. SNYDER attend the services of the Episcopal Church, as do also all the ELLIS family, and they do much to support the church at Exchange. Mr. SNYDER was connected with the schools of the township as director one term. In politics he is a Democrat. Since coming to their present home, Mr. and Mrs. SNYDER went back to Limestone Township, and there resided two years, returning to their present home in the spring of 1884. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle - 1887 Anthony Township pg. 189)

JOHN WATSON, farmer, P.O. Washingtonville, Columbia County, was born in Madison Township, Columbia Co., Penn., May 15, 1830, son of Hugh and Sarah (SEIDEL) WATSON. John WATSON, grandfather of our subject, came to the neighborhood of Jerseytown, with his parents from the vicinity of Muncy Creek, and lived in the neighborhood of Jerseytown until their death. John WATSON, grandfather of our subject, removed to what is now Anthony Township, this county, in the early part of the present century, and located where Samuel WATSON now lives, and where he (John WATSON) and his wife lived until their death. He died about 1837, his wife having preceded him by several years. They are buried in the Derry Church graveyard. Hugh WATSON, father of our subject, some years after his marriage removed to this township, and afterward bought 200 acres of land which Mr. GEARHART, foundryman at McEwnesville, now owns. From there he removed to the vicinity of Muncy, in Muncy Creek Township, Lycoming Co., Penn., and there he bought land and lived the remainder of his days. He and his wife are buried in the Muncy Cemetery. They were the parents of seven children, of whom six are living: Eliza, John, Sarah, Jane, Margaret and Mollie. Allen is deceased. John WATSON, subject of this sketch, made his home with his parents until twenty-three years of age, and then moved to Dewart, Penn., where he rented land and taking also an interest in the building of the York & Erie Railroad, which was constructed through his farm. He bought a farm near Milton, in 1862, removed to it in 1863, and on this lived until 1869. The first piece of land he ever bought was that now occupied as the fair grounds at Turbotville, but he never moved to it. In 1869 he sold his farm near Milton, and bought his present one of 250 acres for $20,000. He also owned at that time fifty acres of timber and pasture land in Anthony Township, which he afterward sold. He removed to his present farm the year after he bought it. He was married at Jerseytown, December 15, 1852, to Miss Louisa Catharine, daughter of John and Julia Ann (LEVANNA) STINER; former died September 3, 1883, and is buried in the Turbotville Cemetery; latter resides at Turbotville. Mr. and Mrs. WATSON are the parents of eight children: Kate, wife of Daniel Levanna, residing near Limestoneville; Harriet, Julia Ann, Mary Jane, Emma, Clara, Blanche and Hugh Allen. The family are members of the Presbyterian Church. He is one of the progressive men of the township, and assisted a great deal in securing the location of Watsontown & North Mountain Railroad, which passes through his farm, and which has done so much to develop the country about. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle - 1887 Anthony Township pg. 189)

DAVID WILSON, farmer, P. O. Comly, was born in what is now Anthony Township, Montour Co., Penn., January 20, 1806, son of Hugh and Ann (CRAWFORD) WILSON. William WILSON, grandfather of our subject, was born in Dauphin county, Penn., near Sweet Arrow Creek, and from there came to what is now Montour County, and here lived until he died. He and his wife are buried in the Warrior Run Church graveyard. Hugh and Robert WILSON came to this county with their father. Hugh WILSON, father of our subject, was born and reared in Dauphin County, Penn., and was there married to Ann CRAWFORD. They then came to this county and located land with his father, which was a tract of about 250 acres. Here Hugh and his wife lived until their death. They were the parents of twelve children, of whom the following are living: David; Nancy, residing with David; Eliza, widow of Robert BLAINE, in Turbotville, Penn. The father died at the age of eighty years, and the mother at about the same age. Both are buried in the Warrior Run graveyard. David WILSON, subject of this sketch, lived on the old homestead until twenty-seven years of age, when he was married in April, 1833, to Mary, daughter of John and Eleanor (JINGLES) PRINCE. Mrs. WILSON died August, 1879, and is buried in the Derry Presbyterian Church graveyard. Mr. and Mrs. WILSON were the parents of eight children; William Henry; Elizabeth, widow of Thomas HEATER, in Waterloo, Iowa; Ellen, wife of Jackson P. McKEE, in Muncy Hill, this county; Joseph (deceased); Alice, with her father; Ann, wife of Jeremiah METZGER, in Union County, Penn.; Jane, with her father, and Nancy (deceased). Mr. WILSON was three years commissioner of Montour County. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle - 1887 Anthony Township pg. 190)

Back to

COLUMBIA COUNTY BIOS

MONTOUR COUNTY BIOS

SOME OTHER BIOGRAPHIES

HISTORY OF COLUMBIA COUNTY

HISTORY OF MONTOUR COUNTY

 
 

 
MY FILE CABINET
FAMILY LINES
JOWEST