MONTOUR COUNTY, PA BIOGRAPHIES

LIBERTY TOWNSHIP

From "The History of Columbia and Mountour Counties"
Battle, 1887


 
JOHN J. BIEBER, farmer, P. O. Pott's Grove, was born in the Muncy Valley, Lycoming Co., Penn., December 4, 1855, son of George and Charlotte (SHIPMAN) BIEBER. Nicholas BIEBER, great-grandfather of our subject, came to America from Belgium, and located in Lycoming County, Penn. John BIEBER, the grandfather, was also born in Belgium, and came with his father to Muncy Valley. George BIEBER, father of John, Jr., was born in Wolf Township, Lycoming Co., Penn., and was married in Moreland Township, same county, to Miss Charlotte SHIPMAN, a native of Lycoming County, and daughter of Jacob and Catharine (BRITTAIN) SHIPMAN, natives of New Jersey, the former now living in Lycoming County at the age of eighty-nine years, the oldest inhabitant in his township; latter deceased. Mr. and Mrs. George BIEBER were the parents of seven children, of whom John J. is the fourth in order of age. Our subject spent his early life in Wolf Township, Lycoming County, from there removed to Muncy Creek Township, Lycoming County, and in 1884 came to his present location in this township. His mother's great-grandfather, John Malachi SHAMP, a native of England, was stolen from his home in his boyhood. The subject of this sketch was married in this county, February 13, 1883, to Miss (illegible) L. MURRAY, daughter of William and Jane MURRAY. Mr. and Mrs. BIEBER are parents of one child, Amy SHIPMAN. Mr. BIEBER is a member of the Lutheran Church, (illegible) BIEBER of the Presbyterian Church. He has 120 acres of land being the old MURRAY farm. He taught school four terms in Lycoming County, and is now secretary of the school board of Liberty Township. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, Liberty Township pg. 198)

HENRY BILLMEYER, farmer, P. O. Pott's Grove, Northumberland County, was born in Liberty Township, Montour Co., Penn., on the old homestead where he now resides, October 17, 1842, son of Jacob and Eliza (HOWER) BILLMEYER. He was married in 1869 to Miss Hannah, daughter of James and Sarah (SMITH) FLORA, and a native of Anthony Township, this county. Mr. and Mrs. BILLMEYER are the parents of three children: Sarah Ann, James Henry and Carrie Ellen. The parents are members of the Oak Grove Lutheran Church. Mr. BILLMEYER owns the home farm of 111 acres, and nearly 200 Alexander in the lumber business in 1874, and then was engaged in the same line for himself at Mooresburg and Limestoneville. They commenced in an old water saw-mill, and the business has always been successful. The lumber was sold to the Lehigh Valley Company. Mr. BILLMEYER has put up fine improvements, and has one of the very finest barns in the county. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, Liberty Township pg. 199)

SAMUEL BLUE, Potts' Grove, Northumberland County, was born in Liberty Township, Montour County, February 22, a son of Frederick and Elizabeth (HIMULRICH) BLUE. Samuel BLUE, grandfather of our subject, and an early settler in this community, went to the war of 1812, and died at Black Rock. After his death his widow married a Mr. BONDEMAN. Frederick BLUE, father of our subject, was born in what is now Montour County, Pennsylvania, and was here reared; he married Elizabeth HIMULRICH, born June 6, 1808, and they were the parents of the following named children: Samuel; martin, living near Washingtonville, Derry Township; George (deceased), and William (deceased). The father died February 24, 1870. He was a county treasurer and sheriff of Montour County. The mother died February 17, 1863. The subject of this sketch was reared in this township and made his home with his parents until his marriage, which occurred February 2, 1860, with Elizabeth, daughter of John and Elizabeth WOLF. She died March 14, 1862, at the age of twenty-seven years, eleven months, twenty-four days, and is buried in the BILLMEYER graveyard. She left one child, Charles W., born March 29, 1861. Mr. BLUE then married, December 21, 1865, Miss Clarinda MURRAY, by whom he had the following named children: Carrie May, Wilfred Murray, Frank Howard, George Herbert, Edgar and Jennie Belle. Mr. BLUE is a member of the Presbyterian Church, as is also his wife and some of the family. He bought his present farm of 150 acres in 1871. He also has 160 acres of Northumberland County, over half being timber land. His farm and improvements have cost him $150 an acre. Mr. BLUE was elected treasurer of Montour County in the fall of 1877, and served three years. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, Liberty Township pg. 199)

THOMAS J. CLARK, farmer, P. O. Moorsburg, was born July 13, 1837, son of John and Margaret (MAXWELL) CLARK. John CLARK, Sr., grandfather of our subject, was born in Ireland, and from there came to Pennsylvania, locating about 176 in what is now Liberty Township, Montour County, where Mrs. Dr. WEAVER now resides, and there lived the rest of his days. He served in the Revolutionary war and had a finger shot off (his brother, Robert, was a colonel in the same war). He and his wife are both buried in the Derry Presbyterian Church graveyard. They had two children John and Ann (both deceased). John CLARK, Jr., the father of our subject, was born in what is now Liberty Township, Montour Co., Penn., and was here reared. He was a soldier in the war of 1812; was married October 23, 1818, by Rev. John PATTERSON, to Margaret, daughter of William and Jane (BOLLES) MAXWELL, later a daughter of Judge BOLLES, of Bollesburg, and they were the parents of the following named children: Sarah, deceased wife of William McMAHON; Robert Finney (deceased), was a prominent lawyer of Bloomsburg, Penn.; John (deceased); Alexander, in Illinois; Samuel, an architect in Washington, D. C.; James, in Geneseo, Ill.; William, in Dallas County, Iowa, and Thomas J. The father died in 1870; his widow resided with Mr. and Mrs. Thomas J. CLARK. The subject of this sketch was reared in Liberty Township, and was married October 25, 1864, to Miss Margaret KYLE, a native of Milton, Northumberland Co., Penn., and daughter of Samuel and Jane (AUTEN) KYLE, both deceased and buried at Milton, the former dying in 1878 and the latter in 1846. Mr. and Mrs. CLARK are the parents of nine children: Eleanor H., Margaret Maxwell, Anna Gertrude, William Lowenburg, Charles Wallace, Edith Moore, Martha Hurley, Sarah Finney and George Edward. The parents are members of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. CLARK has held the office of justice of the peace for ten years, and has also been school director. In politics he is a Democrat. The farm on which he resides contains over 200 acres, and belongs to the heirs of John CLARK, which land, originally granted to the Presbyterian Church, was sold to Robin FINNEY, and has passed down in the family ever since, without any sale having been made. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, Liberty Township pg. 199)

WILLIAM HENRY (deceased) was born November 20, 1831, in Liberty Township, Montour Co., Penn., son of John and Elizabeth (McCLURE) HENRY, both of whom are deceased and are buried in the Centre graveyard, Liberty Township, this county. Our subject was reared in Montour County and always made it his home. He was twice married, his first wife having died sixteen months after their marriage. Our subject was married November 26, 1865, to Miss Mary Ellen McCRACKEN, a native of this township and daughter of Abraham and Margaret (VANDLING) McCRACKEN, former of whom, a native of Northumberland County, Penn., is buried in the Chillisquaque Cemetery, latter a native of Northumberland County, Penn., being now a resident of this township. Mr. and Mrs. HENRY were the parents of five children, all living: Samuel Peter, Margaret Ann, Clarence Alfred, Hannah Elizabeth and Minna Gerda. The father died January 3, 1878, and is buried in the Chillisquaque Cemetery. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church; in politics a Democrat. He was for twelve years county superintendent of Montour, an office he held longer than any other man had held the same office in the county. He was engaged in educational work from his seventeenth year till the time of his death. Also held several other offices. Mrs. HENRY taught school at Danville, this county, in 1864, and in Milton, Northumberland County, in 1865, teaching from her eighteenth year to her twenty-second. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania", Battle, 1887, Liberty Township pg. 200)

WILLIAM V. KERR, P. O. Mooresburg, was born at the place where he now resides, February 14, 1851, and was here reared to manhood. He has spent his life on the farm, with exception of between the years of 1872 and 1876, when he was in partnership with G. P. REIGHARD, at Mooresburg, this county. He was married November 2, 1876, to Alice, daughter of John B. and Sarah SMITH, of Mifflinburg, Penn., and they are the parents of four children, two now living: Joseph H. and John R.; Mary Finney and Louise are deceased. Mr. KERR has the old homestead of 100 acres. Mr. and Mrs. KERR are members of the Presbyterian Church. In politics he is a Republican. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania", Battle, 1887, Liberty Township pg. 200)

WILLIAM McMAHON, P. O. Pott's Grove, Northumberland Co., Penn., was born on the farm where he now resides, March 22, 1832, son of John and Mary (SIMIGTON) McMAHON. His great-grandfather was a native of the North of Ireland, immigrated to America, and settled in the valley of the Juniata River, Penn. John McMAHON, grandfather of our subject, became an officer in the patriot army during the Revolution, serving through that struggle. After the war he came from the valley of the Juniata, to what is now Montour County, Penn., and took up land around where William now resides. He and his wife are both deceased, and are buried in the Chillisquaque graveyard. John McMAHON , father of our subject, was born in the latter part of the last century on the old homestead of his father, in what is now Montour County, and was here reared. He was married about 1826 to Mary SIMINGTON, and they were the parents of seven children: Robert, in Potts's Grove, Penn.; Jane, deceased wife of Alexander CLARK; William; Elizabeth S., wife of John DURHAM, in Winona, Minn.; John S., in Wellington, Kas.; Sarah S., wife of Joseph K. MURRAY, in Liberty Township, this county, and Thomas, in Wellington, Kas. The father of the above died about 1852, and the mother about 1845. They are buried in the Chillisquaque Cemetery. The subject of this sketch was married January 20, 1862, to Miss Selina MACK, a native of Turbot Township, Northumberland Co., Penn., and daughter of Robert and Mary Ann (MCFALL) MACK, former of whom died September 28, 1884, and is buried in the Harmony Cemetery; latter now resides in Liberty Township, this county. Mr. and Mrs. McMAHON are the parents of six children: Anna Mary, Charles H., Elizabeth S., Robert Mack, Lucy H. and John Adams. The parents are members of the Chillisquaque Presbyterian Church, in which Mr. McMAHON has been elder since about 1874. He has been connected with the schools of Liberty Township as director since 1877. He has 170 acres of land, being the entire old homestead, and also 160 acres on Montour Ridge. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania", Battle, 1887, Liberty Township pg. 200)

JAMES C. McWILLIAMS, farmer, P. O. Mooresburg, was born in Liberty Township, Montour Co., Penn., May 9, 1841, son of John and Margaret (CALDWELL) McWILLIAMS. John McWILLIAMS, father of our subject, was born October 7, 1807, in this township, and here reared to manhood. He was married in this county in March, 1835, to Miss Margaret CALDWELL, born December 8, 1816, daughter of James and Mary (WOODS) CALDWELL, who were married June 12, 1810, the former of whom was born in Ireland, and when two years of age came to America, locating in Pennsylvania; the latter was of Scotch-Irish descent. Mr. and Mrs. James CALDWELL were the parents of six children: Robert (deceased); John (deceased); Margaret; Samuel, in Watsontown, Penn.; James Rodgers, near Trenton, N. J. and Lazerus Finney (deceased); James CALDWELL, father of the above, died December 25, 1826; his second wife, whose maiden name was Eleanor WOODS, died June 4, 1865. They are buried in the McEwensville Cemetery. Mr. and Mrs. John McWILLIAMS are the parents of four children: Mary Ellen, deceased wife of H. B. KIMBLE, Newark, N. J., in business on Canal Street, New York; James C.; Robert Curry, in Northumberland County, Penn., (he has represented that county in the Pennsylvania General Assembly), and J. WOODS, in New York, engaged with the Manhattan Railway. John McWILLIAMS, father of the above, died August 7, 1876, and is buried in the Milton Cemetery. His widow resides at Milton, Penn. James C. McWILLIAMS, subject of this sketch, was reared in Liberty Township, which he has always made his home. He was married here January 26, 1871, to Miss Elizabeth J., daughter of Judge James and Christina (YORKS) CURRY, of Valley Township, this county. Mr. and Mrs. McWILLIAMS are the parents of two children: John Curry and Mary Estella. All the family are members of the Presbyterian Church at Mooresburg, in the building of which they were instrumental. Mr. McWILLIAMS is a member of Catawissa Lodge, No. 349, at Catawissa; a member of Bloomsburg Chapter. He has a farm of 230 acres adjoining the old homestead, which belongs to his mother, and which contains 260 acres. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania", Battle, 1887, Liberty Township pg. 200)

DAN MORGAN, P. O. Pott's Grove, was born in Aberystwyth Parish, South Wales, March 5, 1824, a son of William and Jane (SEER) MORGAN. The former was a skilled iron worker in the old country, overseeing a number of hands there. About 1839 or 1840 he came to America, and became engaged in the Mount Savage Iron Works, Maryland. The firm conducting these works soon failed, and he moved northward to Juniata, and, there engaged in a tannery. While there he sent for his family who came out in 1844. He remained at Juniata until September 1845, and then engaged in the iron works of the Montour Iron Company, Danville, where he remained until his death, which occurred March 16, 1851; his widow survived him until January 10, 1856. They are buried in the Methodist Cemetery, Danville. They were the parents of the following named children: William; Mary Ann was the wife of James WILLIAMS; Thomas; Dan; Jane was the wife of Benjamin HARRIS; Esther was the wife of Michael GRAHAM, and Gad, all deceased except Dan. The subject of this sketch remained with his parents until 1845, when he left the home at Juniata, and coming to Danville engaged in the Montour Iron Works. In 1851 he became superintendent of the blast furnace for this company, and held that position until 1883, and part of the time he was general superintendent of the entire plant, except the mines. In 1867 he entered the company as a member, and held an interest in the works until 1878, when he withdrew his membership, but still retained his position in the works as general superintendent. He then bought 287 acres of land in Liberty Township, this county, to which he has since added until he now has three farms containing 417 acres, all three places being supplied with the best of farm houses and buildings. In 1877 he came to his farm property and resided on it until 1879, when he went back to Danville, but after residing there until 1881, returned to the farm to make his permanent residence. Mr. MORGAN was married December 16, 1849, to Mary Jane, daughter of William and Mary (MERRILL) EPHLIN, and a native of New Jersey. Mr. and Mrs. MORGAN were the parents of eight children, of whom five are living: William G., married too Ida A. SAVAGE, August 16, 1871 (they have three children, Jennie, Dan and Joe--he was superintendent one year of the Waterman & Co. furnace in 1877); Joseph Henry, married to Bella James, April 12, 1885; John Peter, killed June 25, 1864, at the swing bridge, Danville; George Burlingame, married March 17, 1883, to Ella Gabriel (they have one child, Laura); Dan died April 2, 1861; Robert Seer; James D., died March 10, 1869; and John. Mr. MORGAN is a member of the masonic fraternity, having joined the Blue Lodge with 224 others at Danville. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania", Battle, 1887, Liberty Township pg. 201)

JOSEPH K. MURRAY, farmer, P. O. Pott's Grove, Northumberland County, was born in Valley Township, Montour Co., Penn., February 5, 1839, son of William and Jane S. (KERR) MURRAY. Col. James MURRAY, the grandfather of our subject, was of Scotch-Irish descent; was a colonel in the patriot army during the Revolutionary war, and after that struggle came to Northumberland County, Penn., where he lived until his death, which occurred in the vicinity of Watsontown. He owned most of the land north of Pott's grove, including the present town site. He was three times married, and by his first marriage, in Northumberland County, Penn., where he was reared. From there he removed to what is now Montour County, and taught school until he had completed sixteen years at that profession, part of the time in Northumberland County, part in Montour County. He was in partnership with Robert KERR in mercantile business both at Mooresburg and Hartleton, Penn. He then went to Valley Township, Montour County; thence to where John MOORE now resides in Liberty Township; thence to the south side of the limestone ridge, between Milton and Washingtonville, in Liberty Township, this county, where John BIEBER now resides. In that immediate neighborhood he died, at the house of his son-in-law, Samuel BLUE, where he had resided the last eight years of his life. He had 270 acres of land, but sold all except 120 acres some time previous too his death, which occurred August 4, 1883; his wife died in 1864, and they are buried in the Chillisquaque Cemetery. They were both members of the Presbyterian Church. William MURRAY had held the office of school director a great many years, as well as other township offices. Mr. and Mrs. William MURRAY were the parents of eight children: Margaret Ann, deceased; Clarinda K., wife of Samuel BLUE; J. K.; James B.; Lizzie L. and Robert H., twins (Robert H. is deceased); Jennie S., wife of Thomas BIEBER, in Potts's Grove, Penn.; Mary L., wife of John BIEBER, in Liberty Township, this county. The subject of this sketch made his home with his parents, or on their land, until 1874, when he removed to his present location, and has here since resided. He was married December 21, 1865, to Miss Sarah S., daughter of John McMAHON. Mr. and Mrs. MURRAY were the parents of eleven children, of whom nine are living: William Edwin, Jennie Simington, Alice Foresman, Clyde Strawbridge, Robert Simington and Charles Howard (twins), Thomas Stewart, Edna Vansant and Mary Elizabeth. John McMahon and Elwood are deceased. the parents are members of the Chillisquaque Presbyterian Church, of which Mr. MURRAY is a ruling elder. Mr. MURRAY enlisted in the nine months service in 1862, in Company G, One Hundred and Seventy-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, colonel, James JOHNSON. He was mustered in at Harrisburg; thence went to Washington, D. C.; thence to Newport News, on the James River; thence marched to Yorktown, where he lay six months; thence to Williamsburg; thence to White House Landing, on Pamunkey River; thence to Yorktown again, and from there to Washington; thence to Harrisburg, and thence home. He is a member of the Grange No. 277, P. of H., Chillisquaque Township. In politics he is a Prohibitionists. He owns a fine farm, which he takes pains to till in the most practical manner, and takes a deep interest in all matters tending toward the elevation of his class. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania", Battle, 1887, Liberty Township pg. 201)

JAMES B. MURRAY, farmer, P. O. Pott's Grove, Northumberland county, was born in Liberty Township, Montour Co., Penn., November 23, 1840, son of William and Jane (KERR) MURRAY. He was reared in Liberty Township and has always made it his home, with the exception of three years, during which he was in the army. He was married December 18, 1875, to Miss Arabella MOORE, a native of this county, and daughter of John and Catharine (VORIS) MOORE, who now reside in this township. Mr. and Mrs. MURRAY are the parents of two children: Gilbert Voris and Edwin Moore. the parents are members of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. MURRAY enlisted December 10, 1862, in Company F, Sixteenth Pennsylvania Cavalry. He was mustered into the service at Harrisburg, and from there went to the Shenandoah Valley to join what afterward became Sheridan's cavalry, and he participated in all the campaigns of those famous troopers from that time until the close of the war. Among others he was at the battle of the Wilderness, at Gettysburg, and all the others up to the last acts of the struggle; and participated in all the movements about the defenses of Petersburg, including the taking of that famous stronghold and Richmond, and the surrender of Lee at Appomatox. He was discharged at Lynchburg, Va., from there went to Washington, thence to Harrisburg, and then returned home. He became sick in the service, and was nearly two months in the hospital, and his health has never fully recovered from the effects of his campaigning. He was under Gen. Gregg, and in the company of Capt. Robinson (afterward Hilburn), in Col. Gregg's regiment. Mr. MURRAY owns about 120 acres of land. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania", Battle, 1887, Liberty Township pg. 202)

JOHN K. SHEDDAN, farmer, P. O. Mooresburg, was born on the place he now resides on, in Liberty Township, Montour Co., Penn., May 16, 1828, son of William and Mary (RUSSELL) SHEDDAN. James SHEDDAN, grandfather of our subject, was born in Ireland, August, 12, 1744; from there came to America and located in what is now Montour County, in 1774, taking up land, then all timber, where John K. now resides. The tract was then called Serviceberry Grove, and then in Mahoning Township, Northumberland County. It contained 216 acres, thirty-four perches and allowances. Here he lived the remainder of his life. His wife was born in August, 1749, and they were married November 10, 1773. They were the parents of the following children: Sarah, Margaret, Agnes, William, Anne, Robert, Mary and Elizabeth, all deceased. The father died August 13, 1817; the mother April 17, 1813, and they are buried in the Chillisquaque graveyard. William SHEDDAN, father of our subject, was born June 2, 1785, at the place where the latter now resides, and here he was reared. He married December 25, 1807, Sarah M. SHARON, a native of Juniata County, Penn., who died April 15, 1813, and is buried in the Chillisquaque graveyard. They were the parents of two children: James and Samuel S. William SHEDDAN next married Mary RUSSELL, on January 6, 1820, and by her had the following named children: Andrew R., Maria, Isabella, John K. and William B.; of these only John K. and Isabella are living. The father died January 19, 1839, the mother June 5, 1872, and they are both buried in Chillisquaque graveyard. The subject of this sketch was reared at the place of his birth. He was married June 14, 1866, to Miss Marietta, daughter of William and Eleanor (BLAINE) WILSON, who was born in Lewis Township, Northumberland Co., Penn. Mr. and Mrs. SHEDDAN are the parents of one child, William Boyd, born April 8, 1867. He commenced his education in the common schools of his township, and from there went to the Potts Grove Academy, thence to the normal school at Muncy, where he graduated October 1, 1866, carrying off first honors in a class of twenty-four, and delivering the valedictory address. The family are members of the first presbytery of this district, known as Northumberland Presbytery. William SHEDDAN was also an elder in the church. The subject of this sketch has been connected with the schools of the township as director, and has also been inspector of elections. He has fifty-five acres, and allowances of the old tract, which formerly consisted of 216 acres and allowances, the grant being given during the reign of George III. Samuel S. SHEDDAN, half brother of J. K., was a Presbyterian minister, having preached at Warrior Run, Muncy, all in Pennsylvania, and in Rahway, N. J., where he resided at his death in 1875. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania", Battle, 1887, Liberty Township pg. 202)

ROBERT HENRY SIMINGTON, farmer, P. O. Mooresburg, was born February 2, 1843, on the old homestead where his mother now lives. He was married February 26, 1880, granddaughter of Joseph KERR, who came to what is now Liberty Township, Montour Co., Penn., from Bucks County, where he was born December 19, 1770, and located on the place William V. KERR now owns, a portion of a tract which was taken up by Robin FINNEY, and which has never been sold, having been handed down in the family. There he lived, reared his family and died. He was married to Jane HINE, born March 21, 1775, and they were the parents of nine children: Robert H., Alexander H., Daniel T., Mary Finney, Margaret McFarland, Joseph (who died in infancy), Jane, Effie S. and Joseph H.. Joseph KERR, Sr., was the son of an officer in the Revolutionary war. he died in April, 1856; his wife died in February, 1853. They are buried in the Chillisquaque graveyard. Joseph H. KERR, son of the above, was born on the old homestead August 24, 1815. He was married February 14, 1841, to Jane McLanathan VORIS, and they were the parents of two children: William V., on the old homestead, and Anna B., wife of our subject. Joseph H. KERR, father of the above, died December 30, 1876, and is buried at Milton, Penn. His widow makes her home with Mr. and Mrs. SIMINGTON. Our subject and wife are the parents of four children, of whom three are living: Robert, William and Jerome. Hattie Jeanette was born February 20, 1881, died September 10, 1881. Mr. and Mrs. SIMINGTON are members of the Presbyterian Church. In politics he is a Prohibitionist. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania", Battle, 1887, Liberty Township pg. 203)

BENJAMIN C. STARNER, farmer, P. O. Washingtonville, was born in Northumberland County, Penn., February 17, 1831, son of Solomon and Mary (CLARK) STARNER, both of whom are deceased. Solomon STARNER, father of our subject, came to Montour County in 1843, and located at first in Derry Township, but in 1847 removed to what is now Liberty Township, and here resided until his death, which occurred about 1866; his widow survived him some three or four years. They are buried in the Washingtonville Cemetery. They were the parents of four children, all living: Benjamin C.; Louisa; Charles, in Watsontown, Penn.; Mary, wife of Aaron MOSER, in Washingtonville. The subject of this sketch was married November 13, 1856, to Miss Sarah A. BOGART, daughter of John and Mary (GANMER) BOGART, and a native of Limestone Township, this county, but removed to Liberty Township, where the parents died, the father in 1873, the mother in about 1838. She is buried at Strawberry Ridge Church, and he at Washingtonville. Mr. and Mrs. STARNER are the parents of the following named children: Mary Alice, Rebecca Jane, wife of William A. CORNELISON, in Liberty Township; Sarah Ellen, William Clark, and an infant deceased. Mr. and Mrs. STARNER and family are members of the Oak Grove Lutheran Church. Mr. STARNER has held the position of auditor of Liberty Township since 1877. In politics he is a Democrat. He owns the old homestead of his father consisting of 113 acres. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania", Battle, 1887, Liberty Township pg. 203)

MOSES L. STECKER, farmer, P. O. Washingtonville, was born in Hemlock Township, Columbia Co., Penn., May 3, 1820, son of Michael and Margaret (LOTTIZ) STECKER. George STECKER, the paternal grandfather of our subject, settled in Dry Lands, Northampton Co., Penn., where he died when his son Michael was only thirteen years old. He was twice married, reared five children by his first wife and nine by his second. The children by his first wife were George, John, Rosette, Ann, Catharine; by his second wife; Elizabeth Wellper, Susan Reecer, Christian Reecer, Mariah Grotz, Sarah Grotz, Margaret Switzer, Henry (a preacher), Melchior and Michael (twins). Michael STECKER, the father of Moses L., was the only one who came to Columbia County, locating in Hemlock Township, and after making a deal in land, secured 100 acres. In 1826, becoming dissatisfied with this location, he moved to New York State; but two years later returned and lived in Hemlock Township until his death which occurred about 1867. His wife had preceded him by several years. They are buried at New Columbia, Penn. They were the parents of twelve children; George (deceased); Mary (deceased); Moses L; John, who was murdered in Minnesota, his body being found in a lake; Adaline; Gideon (deceased), Josiah, in Bloomsburg; Nathan, in San Francisco; Crissie; Clarissa Leviana and Charity (twins), and Abraham (deceased). Our subject was reared at the home of his parents until the age of eighteen years, when he came to Washingtonville, and worked for Neil McCOY as clerk; then with him removed to White Hall, and remained with him three years altogether. He afterward harvested, etc., until fall, and then went to Easton, Penn., where, in the following spring, he hired a boat and engaged in he carrying trade on the canal, but in the fall he again came to Milton, and taking another boat engaged in hauling commission goods until the fall, making two trips to Philadelphia and one to Baltimore. From Milton he came to his present location, and was married December 5, 1843, to Miss Sarah, daughter of John and Christianna (STINE) STINEMAN, both deceased. Mr. and Mrs. STECKER are the parents of three children: Margaret S., wife of George W. VANDINE, live on the STECKER farm, and have five children: Christiann, wife of James MADDEN (they had two children, she lives in Lititz, Lancaster Co., Penn.), and James E., in Washingtonville. Mr. and Mrs. STECKER are members of the Presbyterian Church. He has been connected with the schools of Liberty Township as director, and has been tax collector. In politics he was a democrat until the death of President Harrison, but has been a Republican ever since. Mr. STECKER built a wood-working shop in about 1856, and has since manufactured a good deal of furniture. Since 1876 he has been making a specialty of arm chairs. He has about ninety acres of land. Mr. STECKER's great-grandfather came from Germany. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania", Battle, 1887, Liberty Township pg. 203)

GEORGE SURVER, farmer, P. O. Danville, was born in Upper Dublin Township, Montgomery Co., Penn., July 8, 1820. When four years of age he went to Lower Providence, same county, and there remained until he was twenty-seven years of age, thence removed to Worcester Township, and there was married (when twenty-eight years old) December 25, 1848, to Miss Sarah HIGHLY, a native of Montgomery County, born and reared in Lower Providence Township. Mr. and Mrs. SURVER were the parents of four children: Jesse C., married to Sarah FULMER, in Milton, Penn.; George (deceased); Edwin (deceased); Sarah Jane, widow of Winfield PENNBECKER, and Hannah M. SURVER, married to James WAGNER. Mrs. SURVER died September 5, 1865, aged forty-seven years, eight months and twenty-three days, and is buried at Mausdale. Mr. SURVER next married October 22, 1867, Sarah Catharine HENDRICKSON, who was born June 10, 1840, in Liberty Township, this county, daughter of John and Mary Ann (DAVIS) HENDRICKSON, both deceased. Mr. and Mrs. SURVER are the parents of the following named children: David D., Bertha and Lloyd. Mr. SURVER removed after his first marriage, in April, 1859, to Montour County, and bought 110 acres in Liberty Township, to which he has added thirty-five, until he now has 145 acres. he and his wife are members of the Mausdale Reformed Church. He has held several offices in the church, such as trustee, deacon, etc. He was a teacher in the Sunday-school and was a superintendent of the Sunday-school at Madden's Church four years. For fifteen years he was a school director, and was one year tax-collector. In politics he is a stanch Democrat. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania", Battle, 1887, Liberty Township pg. 204)

THOMAS M. VANSANT, farmer, P. O. Pott's Grove, Northumberland County, was born in Bucks County, Penn., June 26, 1821, son of Amos and Margaret (McMAHAN) VANSANT. Gabriel VANSANT, grandfather of our subject, came to what is now Montour County from Bucks County, about 1800, and located where Samuel MAUGER now resides, near Mooresburg. Her he lived until his death, which occurred about 1808. He is buried at Danville, this county. His widow died about 1841, and is also buried at Danville. They were the parents of eight children. Amos VANSANT, father of our subject, was born in Bucks County, Penn., and was reared in that county and Montour. He was married in this county, about 1809, to Margaret McMAHAN, and after his marriage went back to Bucks County. They were the parents of the following named children: John, Amos, James, Gabriel, all deceased, and Thomas M. The mother of this family died in 1825, and Mr. VANSANT was married some two years later to a Miss TORBET, and they were the parents of the following named children: Anthony, Margaret, Simpson and Edward, latter deceased. The father died in 1860, and is buried in Bucks County, Penn. Thomas M. VANSANT was brought back to Montour County, when he was but four years of age, by his uncle, Benjamin McMAHAN, by wagon, taking four days on the trip, and with his uncle, John McMAHAN, made his home until he was twenty-five years of age; then went west as far as Illinois, and after two years he came back to Montour County, and again made his home with his Uncle John until June 26, 1858, when he was married to Eliza A. BEST, a native of Union County, and daughter of Peter and Henrietta (MENSCH) BEST; her mother resides at Winfield, Union County. After their marriage they removed to their present location, which Mr. VANSANT had bought four or five years before, consisting of about sixty acres, to which he has added until he now has ninety acres. Mr. and Mrs. VANSANT were the parents of five children, two of whom are living: Margaret Henrietta and Thomas; Arietta Fowler, William and Edgar Ivans are deceased. The parents are members of the Chillisquaque Presbyterian Church, in which he has been an elder since 1875. He has been township auditor most of the time since 1856, and has been connected with the schools of Liberty Township, as director, for a number of years. In politics he is a Democrat. ("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania", Battle, 1887, Liberty Township pg. 204)

Back to

COLUMBIA COUNTY BIOS

MONTOUR COUNTY BIOS

SOME OTHER BIOGRAPHIES

HISTORY OF COLUMBIA COUNTY

HISTORY OF MONTOUR COUNTY

 
 

 
MY FILE CABINET
FAMILY LINES
JOWEST