MONTOUR COUNTY, PA BIOGRAPHIES

MAHONING TOWNSHIP

From "The History of Columbia and Mountour Counties"
Battle, 1887


 
JACOB and THOMAS COLE, owners of the iron ore mines, farmers and stock growers, P. O. Danville, are descended from German and English ancestors, who came to America and settled in Pennsylvania in an early day. the mines are located in Mahoning Township on the farm owned by our subjects. Jacob was born in that township, September 13, 1819, and there also Thomas was born May 22, 1823. They are the sons of Thomas and Mary A. (FAUST) COLE, were reared on the farm and made agriculture their business. In 1873 they opened the ore mines on the farm. Thomas has been director of the poor and school director of Mahoning Township. He started in life with 50 cents. The brothers are members of the German Reformed Church, and their success is due to their industry and strict attention to business.("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Mahoning Township Battle 1887 pg. 211)

DAVID P. DIEHL, farmer and fruit grower, residing near Danville, was born September 17, 1824, in Mahoning Township, Montour County, son of Christian and Magdalene DIEHL, whose maiden name was SECHLER, and who was a native of Mahoning Township, Montour County. Peter DIEHL, the father of Christian, was born in Berks County, near Reading, Penn., and at the age of two and a half years was captured by the Indians and brought to the village, which he in after life located as the Indian village at the mouth of Mahoning Creek, where he suffered untold hardships for a time from his captor, who had firmly decided to punish him with the full measure of Indian torture, until death would end his miserable life, and at one time he seized him by the limbs to dash out his brains against a tree, when through the kindly intercession of an aged squaw he was redeemed in exchange for a small copper kettle. With this woman he afterward lived to the end of his captivity, and enjoyed life pleasantly, and so attached did he become to his dusky foster mother, that when he was returned after seven and a half years of captivity, it was almost an impossibility to restrain him from running away from his former home, where it took the constant care of his elder brother and sister to watch him from running away to rejoin his dusky friends, the Delawares. When ten years of age he again returned to the home of his birth, where he lived to the age of manhood, when he married an estimable woman by the name of Molie FOUST. He again sought the wilds of Mahoning Township, and located a place near his Indian home, on the place now occupied by his grandson, Peter DIEHL. The subject of this historical sketch, D. P. DIEHL, was reared upon the farm and was a faithful attendant of the county schools, and for a time of the Danville Academy, and of several other higher schools in the neighborhood. From straitened circumstances he learned a trade, which afforded him the means to obtain a reasonable education by working at the carpenter trade in the summer and attending school in the winter, received from the toils of his employment. In 1870 he bought a small place within sight of Danville, which was planted and furnished with good fruit of various kinds of apples, pears and peaches, and a variety of small fruit such as currants, grapes, raspberries and strawberries. His health, which had become impaired in the toils of the trade he followed, was again renewed in the healthful exercise which the pleasure and toils of the occupation afforded him.

Where frequent vines, fine as could be
On stakes or trellis tall and free,
With bunches perfect, large and flush
Tinged with a fair and tender blush;
Grapes, dark and red and light they grew,
And childish steps their places knew,
And tender feet oft wandered there
Where bunches hung, full, large and fair.
And now and then a missing space
Showed from a full, now vacant place,
Yet childish voices silent hung
Where the thrush and robin sung
Joyful notes from the arbored vine;
Here where the fruit was large and fine,
where cherries by the wayside grew
And thievish birds their places knew

Such was the experience of the subject at his first efforts at fruit growing. In 1881 Mr. DIEHL bought the farm on which the Odd Fellows' cemetery is located, and for its size, there may be but few better farms in Montour County. Here our subject devoted himself to beautifying his home in fruit growing, general farming, and raising some market gardening in which he delights and enjoys. Politically he is a Prohibitionist, and was once nominated by that party for the Legislature. On December 22, 1852, Mr. DIEHL married Susan, daughter of Charles GEARHART, and who died in 1855; on January 8, 1858, he was married to his second wife, Mary C. CALDWELL, who bore her husband two children: William E. and Benjamin. The second Mrs. DIEHL died September 13, 1860, and our subject subsequently married Emily RUNYAN, and by her has two children: Herbert I. and Emma. Mr. DIEHL, since he has become a farmer has taken an active part in everything which is intended to promote this industry, and from the interest and delight he takes in his present vocation it makes him not only a successful farmer, but one of the promoters of the cause of agriculture, and which now places him in prominent place in the history of the Montour County Agricultural Society, its waning star having almost set in the recollection of the past; but, through the writings and influence of a few, its prospect has become far more hopeful and encouraging. He is now filling one of the important offices in trust of the society in which much duty has devolved on him, Mr. DIEHL has a taste inclined to the beautiful and attached fondness to his home which is described by him in the following poem:

I ask not for great riches,
But love a pleasant place
Where the broad landscape stretches
In undulating space.

Let this be a home for me
Where air is pure and sweet,
And the water's gushing free
Where rills together meet.

Why crave for silver or gold,
When from their hoard we see
Vile scenes of the darkest mold,
Where peace and joy should be.

Sweet home, that welcome domain,
Where happiness may dwell,
And true love and friendship reign
And tears their sorrows tell!

No glory from the battle-field,
Where hostile armies meet;
Where frail life to death must yield
In the red carnage heat.

But let peace unite each bond,
And join each sacred tie
With kind words and greetings fond,
Where true affections lie.

No praise from a nation's tongue
Can sound the name so well,
As when the first praises rung
Which the home voices swell.

Where love and kind wishes reigned,
And filled each childish breast
With more joy than treasure gained,
Or fading honors blest.
D. P. D.

("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Mahoning Township Battle 1887 pg. 211)

SAMUEL MORRISON, retired farmer, Danville, was born November 3, 1821, a son of Edward and Elizabeth (SECHLER) MORRISON. He was born and reared on the farm where he now resides and which has been in the possession of the SECHLER and MORRISON families over 100 years. His father was a native of new Jersey, of Scotch origin (whose mother, Sarah LUCAS, was a Quakeress of English origin), a farmer, and a soldier in the war of 1812. He died in 1868 aged seventy-six years, and had come to Montour County when twelve years old. His wife was a native of Mahoning Township and of German origin. Her father, Joseph SECHLER was an early settler of Danville, having come here when it was only a small village and purchased 600 hundred acres east of Danville at two shillings and sixpence per acre. Samuel MORRISON is the fifth in a family of nine children; was reared on the farm, and from his youth up engaged in agricultural pursuits. He was educated at home, his father paying a teacher for the purpose. His farm is a beautiful one, well improved, and most of his money has been made by dealing in stock and selling milk. In 1852 he married Hannah, daughter of Daniel MOURER, a farmer and of German origin. Mrs. MORRISON died in June, 1885, a member of the Lutheran Church and the mother of the following children: James, married; Anna, wife of Jonathan Rudy, and Wooward. Mr. MORRISON is a member of the Episcopal Church; politically a Democrat, and has held several township offices.("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Mahoning Township Battle 1887 pg. 212)

HARMON S. MORRISON, farmer and stock grower, P. O. Danville, was born in Mahoning Township, September 12, 1827, a son of Edward and Elizabeth (SECHLER) MORRISON, the latter a native of Mahoning Township. His father, a native of New Jersey, was born September 19, 1791, and at the age of twelve years came to Mahoning Township, and by occupation was a farmer and cooper. He was a soldier of the war of 1812, and his death occurred in 1868. Harmon S. is the sixth in a family of nine children, was reared in his native township on the far, and attended the common schools. At the age of eighteen he began to learn the mason's trade, at which he served a three years' apprenticeship, and made the trade his occupation for twenty years, engaging also in farming. In 1870 he was appointed foreman of the construction of the brick and stone works at the State asylum near Danville, which position he yet holds, and also superintends his farm which is situated near by. In 1850 he married Martha ICKES, of German-Irish origin, and a daughter of Michael ICKES, of Snyder County, Penn., and they became the parents of four children: Margaret, John, Eugene and William. John having lost his wife lives with his father with two children (twins): Walter and Harmon S. Mrs. MORRISON's death occurred February 7, 1887, aged fifty-eight years. She was a Christian woman being a member of the Lutheran Church. Mr. MORRISON and all the children are members of the Lutheran Church, in which he is an elder. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and a member of order of P. of H., and politically is a Republican. Edward MORRISON, the grandfather of our subject, and Sarah LUCAS, his wife (the latter a Quakeress), were born in the same year, 1753, were married in 1775 and lived in the State of New Jersey where all their children (three sons: William, John and Edward, and two daughters, Anna and Sarah) were born. The maternal grandfather of our subject, Joseph SECHLER, and his wife, Elizabeth, whose maiden name was STUMP, came from Montgomery County, Penn., over 100 years ago to the town of Northumberland. When Danville was yet a small village in Northumberland County they moved to the latter place and purchased 600 acres of land east of the town-Bloom road being the northern boundary of the place for two miles out of town-at two shillings and sixpence per acre. Their children have lived to see some of this original land sold at $225 per acre. Mr. MORRISON's farm is a part of this original purchase. Other small parts of it are yet in the hands of the great-grandchildren.("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Mahoning Township Battle 1887 pg. 213)

JACOB MOWERY, farmer, P. O. Danville, was born in Columbia County, Penn., October 18, 1816, a son of Christopher and Elizabeth (SMITH) MOWERY, natives of Berks Co. and of German origin. His father came to Columbia in an early day; settled in the woods, cleared a farm, and passed the remainder of his life there. Jacob is the youngest in a family of three children; was reared on the farm and attended the schools of Columbia County. He has made farming his principal occupation, and is one of the most successful agriculturists in the county where he has resided for many years. In early life he learned the shoemaker's trade, and worked at it for fourteen years. He married, in 1833, Mary E., daughter of John RICHARDS. She is of German origin, and has borne her husband the following named children: Rebecca J. (deceased); Harvey S.; F. Adell, wife of John P. WEAVER, a school-teacher, and John R., who was the eldest son, was a soldier in the late war, enlisting when only seventeen years of age, and was killed at the battle of Winchester. Mr. and Mrs. MOWERY are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which he has been a steward and class leader. Politically he is a Republican.("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Mahoning Township Battle 1887 pg. 213)

GEORGE W. RISHEL, farmer and stock grower, P. O. Danville, was born within half a mile of where he now resides, in Mahoning Township, July 24, 1825, a son of Solomon and Sarah (HARPINE) RISHEL. His mother was born in Berks County, Penn. His father was a native of Mahoning Township, born in 1799, a son of Martin RISHEL, who was a soldier in the Revolution and came to this township soon after the close of that struggle. He took up Government land, about 200 acres, cleared a farm and here passed the remainder of his life. The farm is still in possession of the family, the deed for a part of it at present being the property of George W. The family have generally been farmers. George W. was reared on the farm and educated in the subscription schools in his native township. From his youth he has been successfully engaged in agricultural pursuits and owns two well improved farms in Montour County, and three houses and lots in town. He married, in 1847, Susannah, daughter of Hugh COUSART, of English and Irish origin. The children of Mr. and Mrs. RISHEL are as follows: Peter, married and a farmer; Sarah J., wife of Alfred TOPSON, a farmer; James C., married and a house plasterer by trade; William E., married; Elizabeth A., wife of M. L. LEIGHOW, railroad manager; H. C., a farmer and dairyman; George W., a farmer; Charles H.; Arthur F. and Ella Virginia (deceased). Mr. and Mrs. RISHEL are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which he has been a class leader, steward, trustee and Sabbath-school superintendent. Mr. RISHEL's maternal grandfather, David HARPINE, was a colonel in the Revolution. Politically our subject is a Republican.(("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Mahoning Township Battle 1887 pg. 213)

ANDREW P. ROTH, superintendent of the Dairy and State Asylum Farm, Danville, was born in Columbia County, Penn., August 21, 1841, a son of Lewis and Margaret (PALMER) ROTH, natives of Northampton County, Penn. His father was a farmer and died March 30, 1883, having been a resident of Columbia county since 1839. Andrew P. was the second in a family of five children, was reared on the farm and educated in the common schools of Catawissa, and on arriving at manhood made the dairy business and farming his occupation. In 1866 he was appointed superintendent of the poorhouse of Mahoning and Danville, which position he held until 1872. He was then appointed superintendent of the farm and dairy of the State asylum, which position he still retains. In 1863 he married Hannah, a daughter of Charles BARND, and of German origin. Their children are Lewis, Tamar, Margaret, Ellen, Hannah Elizabeth, William P. and Lulu. Mr. and Mrs. ROTH are members of the Reformed Church, in which he is a deacon. In politics he is a republican.("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Mahoning Township Battle 1887 pg. 214)

EDWARD WHITE, farmer and fruit grower, P. O. Danville, was born in Valley Township, Montour Co., Penn., March 16, 1825, a son of Hugh and Eleanore (KELLEY) WHITE, natives of Pennsylvania, and of English and Irish origin. His father was a natural mechanic, and for many years, worked on railroad and canal as contractor. Edward received a common-school education, and in early life learned the mason's trade, which he followed principally until 1850, when he embarked in farming, which he has since followed. He is the owner of a well improved farm, consisting of eighty acres, where he resides. In 1852 he married Magdalena, daughter of Christian MOUSER. Her parents were natives of Pennsylvania, and of German origin. to Mr. and Mrs. WHITE were born the following children: Leslie H., Idella, Edward L. and John P. Mrs. WHITE died in 1886, a consistent member of the German Lutheran Church. Mr. WHITE is a Republican, but never held office. He has been school director for several terms is inspector of elections and a member of the I. O. O. F.("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Mahoning Township Battle 1887 pg. 214)

JACOB WIREMAN, farmer and fruit grower, P. O. Danville, was born in Mahoning Township, Montour Co., Penn., in 1818, a son of Jacob and Mary (GOGLER) WIREMAN, natives of Pennsylvania and of German and English origin. He is the youngest of a family of seven children and was reared in Snyder County, whither his parents had moved when he was a child. He attended the subscription schools, and, at an early age began to work in the Reading railroad shops, where he remained three years. Subsequently he came to Danville and began to work in the iron ore mines for GROVE Brothers. He was soon appointed superintendent of the mines, which position he filled for twenty-five years. In 1863 he bought his present farm, which he has improved and has a fine country residence on the Bloomsburg road, Mahoning Township, where he and family reside. He married, in 1843, Reginia, daughter of Jacob RISHEL. Her paternal and maternal ancestors were among the early German settlers of Pennsylvania. The children of Mr. and Mrs. WIREMAN are Henry, who was a lieutenant in the light artillery in the late war; Mary, wife of James HENDRICKSON; Libbie, wife of James C. RISHEL, and Fannie, at home. Mr. and Mrs. WIREMAN are members of the German Reformed Church, in which Mr. WIREMAN is an elder. He is a Republican, politically.("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Mahoning Township Battle 1887 pg. 214)

Back to

COLUMBIA COUNTY BIOS

MONTOUR COUNTY BIOS

SOME OTHER BIOGRAPHIES

HISTORY OF COLUMBIA COUNTY

HISTORY OF MONTOUR COUNTY

 
 

 
MY FILE CABINET
FAMILY LINES
JOWEST