COLUMBIA COUNTY, PA BIOGRAPHIES

BEAVER

From "The History of Columbia and Mountour Counties"
Battle, 1887


 
The DAVIS FAMILY, post office Zion's Grove, Schuylkill County. David DAVIS, one of the early settlers of Columbia County, a native of Philadelphia, and a minister of the Methodist Episcopal denomination, came to this county in 1814. His father-in-law, ROBERTS, had taken up land in what is now Beaver Township, and David DAVIS took possession of same, where he lived a number of years and then removed to Roaringcreek Township where he died. His wife died several years prior and both were buried in the Michael Cemetery, Beaver Township. They were the parents of fourteen children, only two of whom are now living, John, in Hastings, Adams Co., Neb., and William in Beaver Township. Isaac DAVIS, the second of their children, was born May 29, 1792, in Philadelphia. His father moved from there to Sunbury, Northumberland County, and there our subject remained until he was sixteen years of age; then removed with his father to Columbia County and remained with him until he was twenty years of age. He then bought a piece of land in Beaver Township and lived on it (with the exception of three years spent in Chester County) until his death. He married in Chester County in 1817 Miss Julianna THOMAS, a native of that county, a daughter of Samuel and Esther THOMAS. Mr. and Mrs. DAVIS came to Columbia County and here resided until their death, he dying September 30, 1868, and his widow March 26, 1872; both are buried in the family cemetery on the old homestead. They were the parents of the following named children: those livingóDavid, a resident of Greenfield, Hancock Co., Ind.; Julianna, widow of Robert C. DIEHL, in Hopeville, Luzerne Co., Penn.; Maria, Anthony Wayne and Eliza Jane; those deceasedóJohn Wesley, William A., Isaac Roberts, Esther Ann, wife of William MATTHEWS, and Margaret Ann, wife of Henry F. BIRD, who is also deceased. The DAVIS family are members of the Methodist Church. Politically Isaac DAVIS was a Republican. Five hundred and ninety-one acres of land belong to the heirs of Isaac DAVIS, deceased. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 368-9)

JAMES T. FOX, dentist and representative elect of Columbia County, Beaver Valley, was born in Greenwood Township, Columbia County, July 2, 1847, a son of Daniel and Jane (MORRIS) FOX. His grandfather, Jacob FOX, came from Berks County, Penn., settled in Catawissa Township and there lived until his death. His great-grandfathers came from England and Scotland, respectively. Our subject's father was a farmer and teacher, following the former occupation in summer and the latter in winter; he died in August, 1849, and his widow in March, 1878; the former is buried in Greenwood Township and the latter in Bloomsburg. Our subject lived in Greenwood Township until he was five years of age, when he removed with his mother to Hemlock Township, where they resided nearly two years, moving thence to Jerseytown and afterward to Millville. He attended school at Jerseytown, and on moving to Millville, completed a course at the Millville Seminary. On leaving school he commenced to study dentistry; then practiced dentistry in summer and taught school in winter until 1880, since which time he has turned his entire attention to dentistry. His practice extends over all the country on the south side of the river and into a portion of Luzerne and Schuylkill Counties, and he is considered master of his profession. He has been a member of the County Democratic Committee, and has served as tax collector, assessor, auditor, justice of the peace eight years and school director a number of times. He moved to Beaver Township in 1866 and has been a resident of the same since June, 1871. He received the nomination as representative of the Democratic party in the Legislature July 27, 1886, and was elected by 2,351 majority. Mr. FOX married in this county, June 10, 1871, Lydia Ann FISHER, a native of this county, a daughter of John and Sarah FISHER, former deceased, latter residing in Beaver Township. Mr. and Mrs. FOX are the parents of six children: Minnie Elmerta, Fannie Adora, John C., Sarah E., Mary R. and Elsie J. The family attend the services of the Reformed Lutheran Church. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 369)

J. F. HASSRICK, an employe of the Tide-water Pipe Line Company, Beaver Valley, was born at Schenectady, N. Y., June 24, 1857, a son of Julius and Catherine HASSRICK, the former of whom is a farmer, residing in Montgomery, Lycoming Co., Penn.; the latter died at Gloucester, Atlantic Co., N.J., when our subject was but three years old. He was but one year old when his parents moved to Gloucester, N.J., and after residing there about nine years the father moved to Egg Harbor City, where he followed the butchering business. Later they moved to Allenwood, Lycoming Co., Penn., and here our subject followed railroading on the Catawissa Railroad (now the Philadelphia & Reading). He then went to Montgomery to learn the machinist business with Houston, Smith & Co., and was employed by them something over two years. He then engaged with the Tide-water Pipe Line Company as patrolman, walking the line from Williamsport to Sollidaysburg. He was thus engaged about two months when he went to Olmstead, Potter County, and was there employed at the Tide-water company's station as operator until August, 1882, when he was transferred to the company's station at Shuman's or Beaver Valley, where he was operator until December, 1885. He was then promoted to the position of assistant engineer of the station, and has been connected with the works longer than any one now at Shuman's Station. He married, July 2, 1884, Miss Mary BROWN, a native of Roulette, Potter County, a daughter of Philip and Helen BROWN. Mr. and Mrs. HASSRICK are the parents of one child, Romain Calvin. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 369)

F. G. LAUER, superintendent of Tide-water Pipe Line Pumping Station, No. 5, Shuman's Station, was born at Phoenixville, Chester Co., Penn., February 10, 1854. His parents, Maurice and Catherine (LOEB) LAUER, natives of Berlin, Germany, came to this country when young, and were married in Philadelphia, moving thence to Chester County, Penn. The father was a chemist, having acquired his knowledge of the science in his native country, and followed it after removing to Chester County. In 1859 he and family moved to Laporte, Sullivan Co., Penn., where he kept hotel until his death, may 8, 1886. His widow still resides in Laporte and conducts the "Mountain House." Our subject commenced to learn the machinist trade at the age of sixteen years in Camden, N.J., at the national Armor works, where he remained two years. He then went to Muncy, Lycoming Co., Penn., where he finished a five years' apprenticeship by serving three years with P. M. Trumbower & Co. After completely learning his trade he worked there about six weeks, and then went to the Dixson Manufacturing Company at Scranton, where he remained nearly two years, putting together the fine parts of locomotives, and some of his work was sent to the Centennial Exhibition at Philadelphia. He was then employed in the machinery department of the Reading Railroad shops, at Catawissa. Returning to Muncy he had charge of the shops there about one year; was then employed by Waldron & Sproat, Muncy, about six months; then worked four weeks for the Pennsylvania Railroad Company at Renovo, and again returned to Muncy, remaining several months as assistant engineer for his present employers; thence he went to Williamsport, and after seven weeks came to Beaver Valley and took charge of the works of the company at this place. Mr. LAUER was married in Lycoming County December 20, 1876, to Miss Allie LILLIE, and one child, Roy G., was born to them. Mr. LAUER is a member of the Masonic lodge at Catawissa. In politics he is a solid Republican. The family attend the services of the Methodist Episcopal Church. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 369-70)

DANIEL L. LINGLEY, merchant, Beaver Valley, was born in Beaver Township, Columbia Co., Penn., January 15, 1850, a son of Daniel and Mary (LEHR) LINGLEY. Jacob LINGLEY, grandfather of our subject, was born in Berks County, and from there after his marriage came to Columbia County and settled at what is now called Mifflin Cross-roads, in Beaver Township. He was a farmer by occupation, which he followed until his death in 1844, his widow surviving him until 1853; both are buried in St. Peter's churchyard in Beaver Township. The father of our subject was born and reared in this township, and has always followed farming. He married Miss Mary LEHR, a native of Columbia County, a daughter of Henry and Catherine LEHR. Her parents, natives of this State are now deceased, and are both buried in St. Peter's Church graveyard. Mr. and Mrs. LINGLEY were the parents of eight children, seven of whom are living, our subject being fourth. Both parents reside in Beaver Township. Our subject was reared to farm life, and remained with his parents until thirty-one years of age, when he commenced in mercantile business at his present location. He was married in Columbia County November 5, 1874, to Miss Catherine BREDBENNER, a native of Columbia county, and a daughter of Nathan and Leah (SWANK) BREDBENNER. They were born in this county, but their parents came from Berks County, and are now deceased. Nathan BREDBENNER died in March, 1881, and is buried in St. Peter's churchyard. His widow makes her home with Mr. LINGLEY. Our subject and wife were the parents of five children, of whom four are living: Nathan Tillman, William Lloyd, Ida Leah and Mary Alice. Mr. and Mrs. LINGLEY are members of the Lutheran Church. He has held the office of tax collector one term. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 370)

M. W. McHENRY, one of the proprietors of the Beaver Valley mill, was born in Fishingcreek Township, Columbia Co., Penn., June 4, 1826, a son of Daniel and Mary (COLEMAN) McHENRY. His grandfather was one of the pioneer settlers of Stillwater, Fishingcreek Township, was a farmer by occupation and at one time the owner of immense tracts of land in the Fishing creek country. Daniel McHENRY was born in Fishingcreek Township, followed farming and also had two or three saw-mills in the locality; he cut a great deal of lumber, and was a very active man, retaining his vigor to the last; it may be related of him that he was elected assessor at the age of seventy and went his rounds on foot; was also supervisor and held other local and township offices. He died in March, in the eightieth year of his age, his widow surviving him some three years; both are buried at Stillwater, Fishingcreek Township. They were the parents of eleven children, nine of whom are living: Benjamin, residing at Benton, this county; Mary, widow of Elisha OLVERSON; William, in Sullivan County, Penn.; Adaline, wife of Thomas PEELER; Martha K., wife of Jacob CAREY, residing in Cambria; M. W., our subject; U. P., residing at Millville; Joseph, at Stillwater; Elizabeth, wife of George LAUBAUCH, who died at the age of about seventy; Charlotte, wife of George LAUBAUCH, residing at Orangeville, this county, and Sarah, wife of James EDGAR, who died at the age of about seventy. Our subject was reared in Fishingcreek Township and made his home with his parents until he had reached the age of about eighteen years, when he went to Huntington Township, Luzerne County, to learn the miller's trade at the Dodson mill. He remained there three years and after learning his trade moved to Greenwood Township, this county, and took charge of the Iola mills of that place, remaining one year. He was then employed at Jones' mill, Fishingcreek Township, over one year; Lingtrell's mill, Luzerne County, three years, and Dodson's mill, Luzerne County, over three years. He then bought a house and lot at Town Hill, Luzerne County, and lived there while he worked at different mills at Huntsville, Luzerne County, three years and six months. He then farmed for two years in Sugarloaf Township, Columbia County, but his house and barn were destroyed by fire, and he resumed the milling business at Swortnort's mill, Benton Township, where he remained seven years; worked at Franklin mill, Roaring creek, twelve years, the last two years and a half renting the mill; then at Eyer's Grove mill, Greenwood township, six years. He then bought a lot in that place and built on it, and for one year and a half engaged at Fowlersville mill. After that he went to Helm's mill, Benton Township, and was there engaged until coming to take charge of the mill of which he is now one of the partners. He was married in this county on the 18th of April, 1850, to Miss Sarah Ann MONTGOMERY, a native of Washingtonville, now in Montour county, and daughter of Samuel and Mary Ann MONTGOMERY. Her father was born at Lewisburg, Penn., and both her parents are buried at Beech Grove, Luzerne County. Mr. and Mrs. McHENRY were the parents of ten children, seven of whom are living: Ruggles, in Franklin Township; Alice, wife of George WILLIAMS, in Catawissa; Margaret Adaline, wife of Charles HAZLETON, in Dallas Township, Luzerne County; H. G., miller at Iola mills; Lizzie, wife of George J. MUNSON, merchant at Beaver Valley; Blanche B., wife of Sherman HELLER, her father's partner, and Charles W., miller at Miner's mill, Luzerne County; the deceased are Minnie, Annie and Nettie. Mr. McHENRY has a house and a lot of six acres at Eyer's Grove. He and his wife are an old family of the county, and is a miller of wide practical experience, having followed the business for forty-four consecutive years. He is constantly improving and remodeling his present enterprise. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 370-1)

JAMES B. MARTIN, operator at Beaver Valley Pump Station, No. 5, Tide-water-Pipe Line Company, is a native of Ohio, born February 19, 1865. His parents, John W. and Sarah S. (BELL) MARTIN, were both born in Armstrong County, Penn., and were of Scotch-Irish descent. His grandfather, Dennis MARTIN, came from Scotland and settled at Oil City, Venango Co., Penn., where he remained until his death. His maternal grandfather came from Ireland and lived the remainder of his life in Armstrong County, Penn. The parents of our subject reside at Rixford, Penn., where the father is a machinist. They had twelve children, of whom nine are living: Frederick, Joseph, James B., John, Harvey, Mary, Belle, Frank and Charles. The deceased are Margaret, Nellie and an infant. Our subject at the age of seventeen years commenced to learn telegraphy, and served an apprenticeship of one year at Rixford. In 1884 he was employed by the Tide-water Pipe Line Company, and for the first four months was stationed at Allentown. He was then transferred to the office at County Line Station, where he remained until taking his present position, January 1, 1886. He is an accomplished operator and deservedly popular. In politics he is a Republican. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 371)

LEVI MICHAEL, merchant, Beaver Valley, was born in Berks County, Penn., March 5, 1833, a son of Manassah and Susannah (HOSSLER) MICHAEL. Adam MICHAEL, the grandfather, a native of Columbia County, was a farmer and kept hotel in the house now occupied by Charles MICHAEL, near Singley's store, until his death in 1841. His widow died several years after, and both are buried in the family cemetery on the old homestead. Manassah MICHAEL lived with his parents until arriving at manhood, when he removed to Berks County, where he married and followed boating on the Schuylkill, having his own boat. He was engaged in the coal-carrying trade from the vicinity of Pottsville to Philadelphia until his death in December, 1838. He is buried in MICHAEL's Church Cemetery, Barn Township, Berks County. About 1850 his widow and family removed to Columbia County, and located in Beaver Township, where she died February 16, 1884, and is buried in St. Peter's churchyard, in Beaver Township. They were the parents of four children, of whom three are living: Levi, our subject; Angeline, wife of Judge F. L. SHUMAN, residing at Catawissa; Manassah, a hotel-keeper at Pottsville; (William is deceased). When Levi was eighteen years of age the family moved to Columbia County, and here he has since resided. He worked by the month until 1862, also farmed a piece of land which he had purchased. He then went into the service of his country, and after returning clerked in the store of Judge F. L. SHUMAN for twelve years, and in 1878 started in business for himself. He handles a general stock valued at $1,500, besides plows, castings, etc., for farm use. He was married in this county, July 20, 1874, to Miss Emma Jane GEARHART, a native of this county and a daughter of Daniel and Eliza (SHUMAN) GEARHART, both members of early families and now residing at Shumantown. Mr. and Mrs. MICHAELS are the parents of five children: Harry Mannassah, Alfred Levi, George Walter, Gertie Enola and Lottie Ellen. Mr. and Mrs. MICHAEL are members of the Lutheran Church. He has held the office of judge of elections and overseer of the poor. In 1862 he enlisted in Company H, Seventeenth Pennsylvania Cavalry, at Pottsville, and proceeded to Harrisburg, where he was mustered; his regiment was connected with Sheridan's cavalry and took part in the campaigns of those famous troopers until the close of the war. Mr. Michael was at Gettysburg. Spottsylvania Court House, all through the Wilderness, at Cold Harbor Chancellorsville, and in fact in most of the heavy engagements of the war, and took part in the operations which resulted in the fall of Richmond and surrender of Lee. He was discharged in August, 1865, at Clark's mill, Virginia, and returned home. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 371)P> GEORGE J. MUNSON, merchant, Beaver Valley, was born in Kingston Township, Luzerne Co., Penn., a son of David A. and Louisa (JOHNSON) MUNSON, natives of Luzerne County, and of German-English descent. His great-grandparents were among the pioneers of the Wyoming Valley, and were living there at the time of the massacre; there, also, the first two generations of the family in this country resided. Our subject's father was born in Luzerne County, and there grew to manhood. He removed to Columbia County, in 1872, and is now living in Franklin Township, where he owns a fine farm, and is well respected. He is the father of five children: George J., Miner S., Mary E., Nelson J. and Walter S. Our subject was reared on a farm and remained at home until twenty-four years of age, when he went into business for himself. In the spring of 1885 he bought the store of C. A. SHUMAN at Beaver Valley, which he now conducts. He carries a general stock of merchandise valued at $3,500. He married, February 15, 1883, Miss Lizzie, daughter of Moses and Sarah McHENRY. Mr. and Mrs. MUNSON are the parents of one child, Iva R.; they are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. MUNSON enjoys a good business. His building is 30x50 feet, two stories high, with a large salesroom and a smaller storeroom. Mr. MUNSON is assistant postmaster of Beaver Valley. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 371-2)

SAMUEL NUNGESSER, retired farmer, P.O. Beaver Valley, was born in Mifflin Township, Columbia Co., Penn., January 25, 1818, a son of George and Barbara (SWANK) NUNGESSER. His grandparents came from one of the lower counties to Columbia and here the grandfather purchased a piece of land along the Ten Mile Creek, erected a grist-mill and being a miller operated it until his death in the early part of the present century. He is buried at Mifflinville, where his widow, who died about 1830, is also buried. George NUNGESSER was born in this county, where he followed farming until a few years before his death, in 1851. His wife preceded him by about fifteen years and both are buried at Mifflinville. Our subject was reared in Mifflin Township, and on arriving at manhood went to learn the blacksmith's trade with Christian LUTZ, of that township. He served two years and then worked at journey work for about eight years; then bought a lot in Mifflin Township; erected a blacksmith shop, which he conducted four or five years. He then went to Black Creek, Luzerne County, where he erected a large shop, which he operated about ten years; then bought a farm in Beaver Township, and carried it on until the spring of 1885, when he rented out his farm, bought a lot near McAuley's Station, and erected the house where he now resides. He married in Black Creek township, Luzerne County, April 2, 1848, Miss Mary TORNBACH, a native of Luzerne county, and daughter of Samuel and Mary (HILL) TORNBACH. She died in 1858 and is buried in Black Creek Township. By their marriage there were two children: Frances, married to William E. YAEGER and an infant who died at the age of four months. Mr. NUNGESSER married May 3, 1860, his present wife, Lydia, daughter of Peter and Veronica (SCHWEPPENHEISER) LONGENBERGER, both deceased, her father having died in the spring of 1876, and her mother in 1858; the former is buried at Ringtown Cemetery, and the latter at Mifflinville. Mr. and Mrs. NUNGESSER are the parents of one child, henry William, a telegrapher, who acquired his knowledge of the art at McAuley's Station, P. & R. R. R. Mr. NUNGESSER is a member of the Reformed Church, and Mrs. NUNGESSER of the Lutheran; both are descended from well known pioneer families of the county. In politics he is a Democrat. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 372)

ALBERT PETIT, operator for the Tide-water Pipe Line Company, at Shuman's, was born in Pine Township, Lycoming Co., Penn., December 3, 1857. His grand-father PETIT was a soldier under Bonaparte, in Russia. His parents, Francis and Virginia (GUILLAUME) PETIT, were born in France near the Swiss border; when young, came to this country and were married in New York. Their first permanent settlement was in Cogan House Township, Lycoming County, where the father purchased a farm which he still owns and conducts. During his early life Francis PETIT served an apprenticeship at the mason'' trade, and also a term in the French army. To him and his wife were born seven children, five of whom are living: Augustus, Albert, Theodore, Clare and Florence. Our subject was reared on the farm and remained with his father until twenty-two years of age, when he went to Oberlin, Ohio, to learn telegraphy. In the spring of 1882 he entered the service of the Tide-water Pipe Line Company, and was located at Salladasburg. After one year he was transferred to Waterville; thence to Tamanend, and after fourteen months to County Line Station No. 3. Fifteen months later he came to his present station, and is still in the employ of the Tidewater Company. He was married May 27, 1886, to Miss Emma D. BELL. Both are members of the Catholic Church. In politics he is a Democrat. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 372)

ABRAHAM RICE, retired merchant and farmer, Beaver Valley, was born near Heidleberg, Baden, February 21, 1829, a son of Samuel and Bertha (STERBERGT) RICE, natives of Baden, where the father was a drover and butcher. Our subject commenced life for himself as a clerk in his native country, and followed that occupation until 1848, when he took passage on a sailing vessel bound for America. After a voyage of over a month he landed at New York, where he remained about two months and then moved to Easton, Penn., where he engaged first at peddling and later at clerking. He remained at Easton about three years and then went to Ringtown, Schuylkill County, where he clerked for two years; thence moved to Port Carbon, where he clerked for the same firm as at Ringtown, Culp & Strauss, and remained three years. Desiring to start in business for himself, in April, 1859, he came to Numidia, Columbia County, bought a stock of goods and conducted a general mercantile business until 1868. He then purchased a store and property at Beaver Valley and carried on the mercantile trade until 1876, when he retired. He married, at Port Carbon, Penn., August 9, 1856, Miss Sarah PARENT, a native of Northumberland County, and a daughter of Ephraim and Anna Sophia PARENT, both deceased. Mr. and Mrs. RICE have six children: Clara, wife of Benjamin MICHAEL, residing in Beaver Township; Paulina, wife of Davis RUNYAN, a telegraph operator at Beaver Valley station; Sophia, married to Frank A. ROBINS, residing in Shamokin, Northumberland County; Samuel P.; Emanuel, who married Miss Anna REEDER, and resides in Beaver Township, and Nathan. Mr. RICE has about 300 acres of land in Beaver Township and forty acres on Roaring creek, some of which he rents out and some he has farmed. He is a member of the following : A. F. & A. M., at Catawissa; the I. O. O. F., in which he has passed all the chairs; the K. of P., being one of the charter members and originators of Lynchburg Lodge at Beaver Valley (still retains the charter at his home). He was the representative to the State lodge as long as the local lodge was in existence, and was District Deputy of the lodge for seven years. He also belongs to the Free Sons of Israel, of Beaver Valley after coming here, and held the office continuously until the coming in of the present administration. He was jury commissioner of Columbia County for the three-year term ending January 1, 1886. Mr. RICE has been a very active man, taking a live interest in public affairs, and is the present overseer of the poor of Beaver Township. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 372-3)

Jesse RITTENHOUSE, farmer, P. O. Mountain Grove, Luzerne County, was born in Black Creek Township, Luzerne Co., Penn., May 14, 1841, to Amos and Nancy (WOLF) RITTENHOUSE, both natives of the same township. The grandfather, Martin RITTENHOUSE, came from Germantown (now in Philadelphia) in an early day, followed farming and erected and operated a grist-mill until a few years before his death. Subject's father followed farming in his native county until the death of his father, Amos RITTENHOUSE, when he took charge of the mill and followed milling, also farming to some extent until his death. Subject's mother died in May 30, 1881, and November 11, 1882, his father died. Both are buried in Mountain Grove Cemetery. Our subject resided in Luzerne County and has since here resided. He bought his present tract of land, consisting of 158 acres, from his father. He was married in Luzerne County, March 22, 1866, to Miss Elmira Smith, a native of that county, a daughter of Abraham and Catherine SMITH, formerly whom is deceased, latter still resides in Black Creek Township, Luzerne County. By this union there were six children, five now living: Charles, Catherine, Thomas, Sallie and Robert; (Ida is deceased). Mrs. RITTENHOUSE died March 25, 1879, and is buried in Mountain Grove Cemetery. In 1881 our subject married for his second wife Miss Jane Catherine Johnson, a native of Stockton, Penn., and to this union were born four children, two now living: Abram and Grover Cleveland; the deceased two were named Gertie and Mnnie[sic]. Mr. RITTENHOUSE is one of the school directors of Beaver Township. In politics he is a Democrat.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 373)

Thomas J. SHUMAN, merchant, Beaver Valley, was born in Beaver Township, Columbia Co., Penn., March 6, 1842, a son of Christian and Elizabeth (HENDERSHOT) SHUMAN, natives of this county, and of German descent, the great-grandfather of our subject having been of German birth. His grandfather was one of the early settlers of this county, locating near Catawissa, where he followed farming until the time of his death. Christian SHUMAN, father of our subject, was born in Columbia County in 1805, and learned the tanner's trade at Bethlehem. On starting out for himself he located in Beaver Valley, and built a tannery which he conducted for several years, also keeping a hotel. He owned a large farm as well, and besides hotel-keeping and tanning carried on agriculture. He was also engaged in mercantile business for a few years. His wife died in 1881, he August 14, 1885, and they are buried in Harriger's Church Cemetery. They were the parents of eleven children, eight living: Joseph, Elizabeth (wife of Daniel GEARHART), Frank L., Catherine (wife of Henry CROLL), William, Johanna, Thomas J. and Charles. The father was quite a prominent man, well known, and has held the office of justice of the peace for over twenty years. Thomas J., our subject, was reared on a farm and remained at home until twenty-four years of age. He then engaged in railroading on the P. & R. Railroad and was in its employ about sixteen years. In the spring of 1885 he embarked in mercantile business at Beaver Valley, and so continues, carrying a general line of merchandise and owning the building which he occupies. He married, May 22, 1866, Miss Lucy SONT, and four children have been born to them: Harvey, Clark, Dora and Willie. Mr. and Mrs. SHUMAN are members of the Lutheran Church. He has held the office of supervisor two years.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 373)

John P. SMITH, proprietor of "SHUMAN's Hotel," P. O. Beaver Valley, was born in Shamokin, in the Mahoning Valley, this county, April 2, 1854, a son of Aaron and Mary E. (FRY) SMITH. John SMITH, his grandfather, was born and reared near Trevorton, Northumberland County, this State, where he farmed, dying there in about 1882. Aaron SMITH was born in Irish Valley, near Trevorton, and lived there until about 1832, following the trade of stone-cutter and stone-mason. In 1832 he removed to Shamokin, where he followed contracting on stone-cutting and mason work, and has erected most of the large stone structures in that city for the last twelve years, among which may be mentioned the Polish Catholic Church. He followed business actively until the time of his death, December 12, 1883. His wife died in March, 1882, and both are buried in Irish Valley, Northumberland County. Our subject was reared in Shamokin, and at the age of sixteen commenced railroading on the Shamokin division of the Northern Central Railroad. He acted as brakeman on a freight train for about five years, and then went on the passenger train for about eighteen months; was then employed at flagging for about two years for the Pennsylvania Company, on the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Road. After that he was appointed to a freight conductorship on the Sunbury division, which he held until March, 1883, when he resigned on account of feeble health. Later he took charge of the hotel which he now controls, and bought in December, 1885, a piece of land in Beaver Township, consisting of about fifty acres, to which, in March, 1886, he added thirteen acres and twenty perches. He was married in Black Creek Township, Luzerne County, June 18, 1873, to Miss Mary C. (FRY). Her father was a soldier in the civil war; was captured by the rebels, and died during the latter part of the war in Andersonville Prison, where he had been confined some four weeks. Her mother resides at Brandonville, Schuylkill County, and is now the wife of Henry CROLL. Mr. and Mrs. SMITH are the parents of two children: Cora Belle and Gertrude. Mrs. SMITH is a member of the Reformed Church. Mr. SMITH is a member of Lodge No. 22, A. F. & A. M., at Sunbury.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 373)

C. W. STEAD, agent and operator on the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad at McAuley Station, was born in Bloomsburg, Columbia County, October, 19, 1856, a son of Samuel and Mary (LONG) STEAD, the former a native of England. The parents reside near Muncy, Lycoming county. When our subject was ten or eleven years of age his parents moved to Lycoming County, Penn., and there he resided until coming to Columbia County to fill his present position. He entered the office of the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad at Muncy, about 1876, and served an apprenticeship. He worked as extra operator at the different offices of the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad between Lofty and Williamsport for over two years, and was assigned to his present position in April 1882.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 374)

Daniel E. TROY, farmer, P. O. Zion's Grove, Schuylkill County, was born in Beaver Township, Columbia County, July 22, 1843, a son of C. B. and Priscilla (DAVIS) TROY. The father was born in Allegheny County and moved thence to Columbia County, where he still resides in Beaver Township. Subject's maternal grandfather, David DAVIS, was born in Columbia County and followed farming until his death. Daniel E. was reared in Beaver Township and remained with his parents until twenty-one years of age, when he started out for himself, rented a piece of land in Beaver Township, and, after farming for two years, bought the farm consisting of 212 acres where he has since resided. Besides farming he carries on lumbering to some extent. He was married November 13, 1869, to Miss Nancy Jane GEARHART, a native of Columbia County, a granddaughter of Peter GEARHART, who was a soldier in the Revolutionary war and is buried in Mifflinville Cemetery. Her parents died in Carbon County, latter is still living and makes her home with Mr. and Mrs. TROY. Our subject and wife are the parents of six children; Charles Henry, Anthony Marshall, William Wesley, Elsie Iola. Daniel Garfield and George Russell. Mr. and Mrs. TROY are members of the Methodist Church. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 374)

Back to

COLUMBIA COUNTY BIOS

MONTOUR COUNTY BIOS

SOME OTHER BIOGRAPHIES

HISTORY OF COLUMBIA COUNTY

HISTORY OF MONTOUR COUNTY

 
 

 
MY FILE CABINET
FAMILY LINES
JOWEST