COLUMBIA COUNTY, PA BIOGRAPHIES

BENTON

From "The History of Columbia and Mountour Counties"
Battle, 1887


 
Elijah P. ALBERTSON, liveryman, Benton, was born at Stillwater, Columbia County, October 23, 1857. In 1861 he removed with his parents to Sugarloaf Township and remained with his parents on the farm until 1876. He then took a trip west and was gone about three years. Returning home he farmed his father's place, and June 23, 1879, married Miss Ella, a daughter of Cyrus LARISH of Sugarloaf Township. Four children have been born to them: E. Joe, Atta, Charley and Chancey. After his marriage Mr. ALBERTSON continued to farm and in partnership with his father did some lumbering until 1884. He then received the contract to carry the mail between Benton and Bloomsburg. His commission will expire July 1, 1889. He continued to carry the mail and also drove between these places until the summer of 1886, when he hired some one to attend to that business and devoted his time to the livery business in Benton. His father, Elijah J. ALBERTSON, is a resident of Sugarloaf Township and was born in Greenwood Township, Columbia County, March 18, 1819, a son of John R. and Jane (KITCHEN) ALBERTSON. June 13, 1841, he married Sarah A., daughter of John and Martha (McHENRY) STILES. In 1865 he moved to the place he now occupies, purchasing eighty-seven acres of the Robert MOORE property. This has been highly improved and is now one of the nicest places in the township. To him and his wife nine children were born: Melissa J., wife of A. FULLMER, of Millville; Alonzo B., Martha A., wife of William KASE; Clarence E., of Benton Township; Esther E., wife of William KEELER, of Cincinnati, Ohio; Mary E., wife of Christian RANTZ, of Lycoming County; John W., Elijah P., Sarah A., wife of Samuel PENNINGTON, of Catawissa. The parents are members of the Christian Church at Benton. Mr. ALBERTSON has served in all the offices in the township. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg 375)

Hiram ASH, farmer, P. O. Benton, was born in Fishingcreek Township, November 22, 1828, a son of Christian and Magdalena (OSDERDAY) ASH. October 22, 1852, he married Mary DAVIS, daughter of John R. DAVIS (deceased). Until his marriage he remained at home, but after that event he engaged in wagon-making, removing to Benton Village. After a time he bought the farm of ninety acres on which he now lives, where he has made most of the improvements, and has a pleasant home. Here he has reared his children, eight in all, as follows: Christian D. (deceased), Dora A. (deceased), Elizabeth E. (deceased), John B., Hiram Thomas, Hosa R., Mary C. (wife of R. L. SIGHFRIED, of Benton Township) and Minnie. Mr. and Mrs. ASH and family are members of the Hamline Methodist Episcopal Church. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg 375)

Thomas BELLES, farmer, P.O. Benton, the eldest living representative of the BELLES family, was born March 27, 1818, in Union Township, Benton Co., Penn. William BELLES, grandfather of Thomas, was a native of New Jersey, and upon coming to Benton settled on what is known as the "old BELLES farm,' in 1820. He first settled in Shickshinny, Luzerne County, in 1813, where he kept hotel until his removal in 1820. He and his wife, Catharine BELLES, are buried in the cemetery devoted to the family use. They had a family of twelve children: Elias, Susan, Christena, Salloma, Catharine, Elizabeth, Mary, Anthony, Simon, Andrew, Adam and Peter. Elias BELLES, father of our subject, had a family of seven children, as follows: Thomas, Elias, Lydia (died April 19, 1826), Susanna (died in 1883), Margaret (died August 4, 1834), William, John (died February 19, 1832). Thomas BELLES removed to his present home April 2, 1844. He married in February 1844, Susan Ann KRICKBAUM, and eleven children were born to them, Lydia E., Mary C., Frances I., William L., Elias S., Samuel B., Isaac P., John W., Cyrus L., Sydney E. and Thomas F. Mary C., Samuel B., Elias S., Sydney E. and William L. are dead and lie buried in the Hamiline Cemetery. The farm consists of 130 acres, with about 100 acres under cultivation. Mr. and Mrs. BELLES are members of the Hamline Methodist Episcopal Church, of which Mr. BELLES has been class steward for many years. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg 375)

Dr. T. S. CHAPIN, dentist, Benton, was born June 1, 1851, in Luzerne County, Penn., where his early life was spent, and where his father, William CHAPIN, still resides. Like most country boys he was obilged to work on the farm, attending school when he could be spared, but still received a good education. At the age of nineteen he commenced the study of dentistry, and coming to Benton was engaged for a short time in the office of Dr. LAUBACH. He then went to Bloomsburg, where for six months he was in the office of Dr. H. C. HOWER, and also for a time clerked in a store and worked at other business. Having relatives in Michigan he went there in 1882 and worked in the city of Schoolcraft; thence to Howell, where he entered the office of Dr. WING, a prominent dentist, and was under his instruction for about four months. He then returned to Schoolcraft, and in 1883 to Benton, where he has since remained and enjoys a large practice, extending through Columbia, Luzerne and Sullivan Counties. His wife is a Miss SAVAGE, daughter of Rev. George SAVAGE, now of Muhlenburg, Luzerne county, but then a resident of Benton.("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Battle - 1887, pg 375)

Ezekiel COLE was born where he now lives, son of Benjamin COLE, who came to the county in an early day. Our subject was married to Christena, daughter of Conrad HESS, and they then located east of Benton Village, coming in 1860 to their present place which comprises about 200 acres of well improved land. Mr. Cole has kept hotel since March, 1864, and since 1876 a general store. Mr. and Mrs. COLE have had a family of twenty children, thirteen now living: John, Lavina, Susanna, Clinton, William B., Alice, Christy Ann, Sarah L., Elmira, Mary E., Alfred, Delila and Charles W. Mr. CLE owns the saw-mill which was built in 1832.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887 Benton Township pg. 375.)

Clinton COLE, son of Ezekiel and Christena (HESS) COLE, was born July 8, 1842, near Benton, this county, on the old COLE farm. He was married January 10, 1869, to Miss Elma E., daughter of William Y. HESS, and they had four children, three now living: Ella B., Dora R. and Arden B. (Hurley R. is deceased). After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. COLE lived on the old farm till the spring of 1875, when they moved to near Benton, remaining there one year, and then came to their farm of 122 acres, which is rented, near the Thomas mill. Our subject and wife attend the services of the Evangelical Church.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887 Benton Township pg. 375)

Norman COLE, farmer and merchant, P. O. Cole's Creek, was born near where his store now stands in this township, March 20, 1857, son of Alinas and Rhoda Ann (KILE) COLE, now of Greenwood Township, this county. He commenced business in November, 1882, buying out W. B. COLE's general stock, and his store is near the old COLE mill. Mr. COLE was married March 12, 1873, to Miss Kate M., daughter of George STEADMAN, of Sugarloaf, and by her has four children: Nina C., Atta Maud, Luella G. and Perry Reece. When first married our subject and wife moved to Raven Creek, and there remained one year; thence to Daniel LAUBACH's place, and from there to their present home in 1875. Mr. COLE operated the farm only till 1884, and is now engaged in farming, storekeeping, and huckstering to Nanticoke and Wilkesbarre. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887 Benton Township pg. 376)

Stott E. COLLEY, farmer, P. O. Benton, is a son of Alexander COLLEY, Sr., of whom so many speak, and who's record in the county will be found elsewhere. He was born November 6, 1812, and December 28, 1838, married Miss Sarah HESS, and has continued to reside on the same place where he was married, and where he owns 142 acres of improved land. He and wife have eight children, four living: Melissa, wife of Benjamin PETERMAN; William, living in Jackson Township; Alexander A., at home, and Wesley S. in Benton Village, a blacksmith. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887 Benton Township pg. 376.)

Thomas EDGAR, farmer, P. O. Benton, was born in Sullivan County May 31, 1839, a son of Andrew EDGAR, a native of Town Hill, Luzerne County. His mother died in 1878, but his father is still living. Thomas resided in Sullivan County until he enlisted in 1861, in Company B, Eighth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, third brigade, third corps, Army of the Potomac, and participated in the following battles: Bath (Va.), Hancock (Md.), Winchester (Va.), Port Republic, Slaughter Mountain, Rappahannock Station, Thoroughfare Gap, Bull Run, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Wapping Heights, Kelley's Ford, Mine Run (Va.), Wilderness, and was with Grant until discharged. December 18, 1864, front of Petersburg, he was wounded by being thrown from a mule and both ankles injured. He returned home after being mustered out and remained in Sullivan County about four years. February 4, 1866, he married Miss Rosanna M., of Sullivan County, daughter of C. B. SPERRY. In 1869 Mr. EDGAR came to Columbia County and bought forty-eight acres which he has since improved. Mr. EDGAR is a member of the Grange, and politically a Republican. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887 Benton Township pg. 376.)

I. L. EDWARDS, M. D., Benton, is a native of Lime Ridge, Centre Township, Columbia County, born November 26, 1846, and is a son of William EDWARDS, who was born in Briarcreek Township, and now resides in Berwick. At the age of eighteen he entered the academy at Orangeville, where he spent two terms, teaching a part of the time. In the spring of 1866 he entered Wyoming Seminary in Luzerne County, Penn., where two years later he graduated in the literary course. Previous to entering the seminary he had taught one term at Wilkesbarre, and on leaving that institution he again taught at the same place. He began to study medicine in 1868 under Dr. P. M. SENDERLING, of Berwick, and later entered Jefferson Medical College at Philadelphia, from which he graduated in 1871. He immediately commenced to practice at Orangeville, where he remained until 1873, when he came to Benton and remained two years. Thence he went to Berwick, remaining one year, when his attachment for Benton brought him back to the village, and here he has since resided. Dr. EDWARDS owns property beautifully located in the village, a nice residence, and also a farm near the village of seventy-two acres. He married, March 11, 1873, Sally, daughter of William PATTERSON, of Orange Township, and three children have been born to them: Myron P., Anna C. and Garrett. Dr. EDWARDS is a well posted gentleman, and is held in high favor in the village. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887 Benton Township pg. 376.)

Hiram F. EVERITT, lumber dealer, Benton, was born in Northampton County, Penn., a son of James and Mary EVERITT. The parents were of German descent, and reared a family of ten boys and six girls and are both deceased. Hiram F. was reared on a farm, and resided near Orangeville until 1853. He learned the carpenter trade and followed it until 1859, when he went into the mercantile business, and later, in 1873, the lumber business, which he has since continued. He also keeps a store. He married in 1854 Miss Hannah STILES, by whom he had seven children: Mary A., Elliott B., Anna R., Nora M., Jennie M., Lizzie G. and Hervey E., all living but the eldest two. Mr. EVERITT died July 26, 1872, and our subject married, May 1, 1877, Elmira, daughter of Benjamin McHENRY, and one child blesses their union, Tressie E. Mr. EVERITT owns a farm near the village, on which there are two dwelling-houses, and also owns a storehouse on said farm. During the late war he was drafted in the $300 draft, and paid over his $300 without complaint. He was arrested at his home on the night of August 24, 1864, and incarcerated in Bomb Proof No. 3, in Fort Mifflin, for four months, and was discharged the same manner he was arrested, without knowing any cause for arrest or discharge. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887 Benton Township pg. 376.)

John HEACOCK, merchant, Benton, was born in Greenwood Township, September 18, 1832, a son of Joseph and Margaret HEACOCK. His father was a mechanic and followed building and millwrighting , and with him John worked until he was twenty-two years old. In 1855 John came to Benton and began clerking in the store of his brother, Samuel, with whom he remained until 1860. In 1866 he purchased the cabinet and undertaking business of S. C. KRICKBAUM and conducted it until 1870. From 1876 to 1880 he was assistant postmaster, his brother, Samuel, being the postmaster. Our subject became postmaster February 1, 1881, and served as such until the incoming of the present administration; although the people wished him retained, he was dismissed. He married, June 17, 1880, Miss Hannah, daughter of William W. E. and Mary (HESS) ROBERTS. Mr. HEACOCK has suffered many years with rheumatism, incapacitating him from manual labor. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887 Benton Township pg. 376.)

Hiram HESS, proprietor of the Exchange Hotel at Benton, was born in Centre Township, Columbia Co., Penn., January 28, 1821, a son of John HESS, Jr., whose father was John HESS also. The latter with his family (of which John, Jr., was the eldest) came Columbia County from the "Dry Lands: and settled in Centre Township. He died in Centre Township about 1851, between seventy and eighty years of age. John HESS, Jr., settled after his marriage in Centre Township, later moved to Wapwallopen, Luzerne County, but returned in 1831 to this county. His wife, Mary HOGENBACH, came with her people from the "Dry Lands: and bore her husband eight children. Of these our subject is the eldest, and when a young man rented land from Elias McHENRY. At the time of his marriage he lived in Centre Township on the farm of his grandfather. He married Olive, daughter of Elias McHENRY, in October, 1849. That year he purchased a farm near Stillwater, of 108 acres, and in the fall of 1851 moved on it; it now consists of 130 acres under a splendid state of cultivation. Here they resided until 1872 when they came to Benton and began keeping hotel across the street from their present location, and in 1873 moved into their present commodious quarters. In 1864, in connection with E. J. McHENRY, Mr. HESS purchased the flouring-mill at Stillwater; operated it there two years and then sold out. In 1878 he bought 165 acres two miles below Benton, on Fishingcreek, and in 1880 twenty-two acres adjoining, but in Benton township; on this farm in 1884 they erected the finest house and barn between Bloomsburg and the North Mountain, costing upward of $5,000, and in securing so much valuable property Mrs. HESS has been a great aid. Two children blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs. HESS: Francis M., born January 20, 1850, married in 1871 Cymantha THOMAS (they have four children: Cora, Charley W., Warren and Ray) and Wesley M., born July 3, 1855, married in 1881 Miss Allie, daughter of S. P. KRICKBAUM (they have one child, Ray,) and reside on the farm two miles south of Benton. The Exchange Hotel was built in 1872 by Hiram HESS. The main part is 20x40, three stories high and contains seventeen rooms, besides the public hall or ball room; another part, 20x35, two stories high, contains four rooms, three below and one above, besides a kitchen 14x18 as another addition. A barn 40x50 feet is also near, for the accommodation of horses. The hotel is situated on the corner overlooking the bridge roads and Fishing creek and is well known to the traveling public. Mrs. HESS is one of the best cooks in the State, and for forty miles around the people come to partake of her buckwheat cakes. No lady in the State knows better than she the wants of the traveling public, and the house is kept in perfect order. The bar is always supplied with the choicest wines and liquors. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887 Benton Township pg. 377)

William HULME (deceased) was born December 9, 1812, in Jefferson Township, Morris Co., N. J., a son of William A. and Susan (STRAIT) HULME. The former was born May 5, 1770, in Passaic County, N. J., and died in Jefferson Township, Morris County, same State, October 25, 1829. The paternal grandfather of our subject was William Augustus HULME, a native of England, who upon coming to this country settled in New Jersey, where he pursued his trade, that of a miller. His maternal grandfather, Christopher STRAIT, removed to Columbus, Ohio, and there he and his wife are buried. William remained at home until the age of twenty-two, when he moved to Luzerne County, Penn., and remained two years, engaged in charcoal burning to which he had been reared. Later he came to Columbia county. March 10, 1836, he married Miss Mary, daughter of Jonas and Elizabeth (SHELLHART) BUSS. Mr. HULME remained with his father-in-law until April 4, 1843, when he went to Salem, Luzerne County, and there tended locks in the canal until the fall of 1846. At that time he was engaged with William R. MAFFET to superintend the work at the Blackman mines, and when the railway was built from Pitson to Hanley, forty-seven miles, he went to Greenville. At that time he formed a partnership with Hudson OWEN, contracting and clearing $2,500. In 1852 he was engaged on the railroad by Mr. PARDEE for six months, and in 1853 went to Nescopeck and worked in the store of J. W. FRY. In 1855 he again engaged with MAFFET a short time on the canal, and again went to Nescopeck. There he engaged in erecting some buildings, having by this time a goodly start in worldly affairs. His first wife having died April 1, 1855, he married, June 18, 1857, Phoebe E. daughter of John STOKER, and one child was born to their union, Hilbert Hudson, born August 14, 1860. Hilbert H. was educated at Lafayette College, Easton, Penn., entering that institution in September, 1880, and remaining until December, 1882. His intention was to complete a course in civil engineering and he has drawn several contour maps. He intends, however, to follow agriculture in which he is well posted, and is at present engaged in breeding Duroc-Jersey hogs from registered stock. To William HULME's first marriage no children were born. His late residence in Benton dates from 1857; while passing through the beautiful valley he negotiated for the land at a good bargain and at once commenced improving it. The home place consists of fifty-six acres of fine land, all under cultivation, and the air of neatness and thrift which pervades the surroundings causes the passer-by to remark: "This is one of the neatest places in the county." Mr. HULME also owned the first mill up the creek from Benton, formerly known as COLE's Mill, and valuable timber land. He started out a poor, friendless, uneducated boy, but by thrift, exertion and careful business transactions he made his mark in the world. William HULME died February 14, 1887, at 9:37 A. M., and his remains were interred in Slaughter's Cemetery, near Nescopeck, Luzerne County. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887 Benton Township pg. 377)

William IPHER, farmer, P. O. Cambra, Luzerne County, was born in Huntington Township, Luzerne County, March 10, 1836, where he lived a part of the time before his marriage, which occurred September 21, 1862. Mrs. IPHER was Sibyl, the only daughter of John C. DOTY, and was born in Benton township, Columbia County, July 6, 1839. Her mother was Martha BENEDICT, who died March 24, 1842, and her husband followed, June 7, 1872. They are both buried in the family cemetery. Joseph DOTY, grandfather of John C., settled in New Jersey upon coming from the mother country. One of his children, David, married Sibyl Clark, and their family consisted of John C., Joseph, Jonas, Sarah, Anthony, Martha and Clarinda. Jonas DOTY settled in Fishingcreek, and John C. in Benton in 1840. The latter settled in the southeast part of the township and took up fifty acres at first, subsequently adding until he owned about 300 acres, all of which fell to his daughter Sibyl. Some of this land was very rough, but the coal which was discovered on it made Mr. DOTY quite wealthy. He was very strongly allied to Democratic principles of government, and was a good and kind neighbor. His only child, Sibyl, with her husband, Mr. IPHER, own 345 acres of land and have three children: John D., born April 25, 1869; Sarah A., born July 8, 1873, and James W., born November 19, 1877. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887 Benton Township pg. 378)

Lafayette KEELER, farmer, P. O. Benton, son of George KEELER, was born near where he now lives October 20, 1849. His great-grandparents, John and Elizabeth (SOUTH) KEELER, were early settlers in this county. They came from Orange County, N. Y. and were born respectively December 11, 1764, and November 24, 1766. They were the parents of the following named children: Ebenezer, born November 16, 1788: Jane, August 12, 1790; James, November 10, 1791; Nancy, March 12, 1793; Mary, September 23, 1794; John, June 12, 1796; Elizabeth, March 28, 1798; Benjamin, December 20, 1797;[see footnote *] Esther, August 3, 1802; Susanna, September 23, 1804; William, May 28, 1806; and Phebe, September 23, 1810. John KEELER married for his second wife Eleanor WILSON, who was born August 27, 1795, and bore him two children: Harriet E., born December 10, 1835, and Sarah Agnes, February 7, 1840. Ebenezer KEELER married a Miss PRIEST, and to them were born the following; Henry, born October 27, 1817; Jane, September 10, 1819; Elizabeth, May 24, 1822; John, August 2, 1824; George W. P., January 2, 1827; Dorothy, June 15, 1829; Levi, December 13, 1831; Elizabeth T., December 11, 1833; Magdalene, July 6, 1835. George W. P. was the second child born in Benton Township. He married Elizabeth, born September 29, 1830, a daughter of John FRITZ. Their children were Lafayette (our subject); Levi F., born August 16, 1851; Daniel E., November 11, 1852; Harriet, May 14, 1854; Magdalena C., December 23, 1855; Leonard, February 18, 1857; Esther Jane, September 22, 1858; Clara, March 18, 1860; George B., January 20, 1862; John E., June 16, 1864; Thomas, June 21, 1866; Mary Ann, January 2, 1868; Dorothy E., November 5, 1869; Harry Bruce, July 29, 1872. Magdalena died January 22, 1870; John E. died September 4, 1868, and Thomas, April 2, 1870. Lafayette (subject) in early life learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed until 1880. December 4, 1875, he married Miss Mary A., daughter of Thomas and Anna (DAVIS) SINGFRIED, and three children have blessed their union: Anna E., born October 21, 1876; Clarinda A., August 25, 1881, and Malan A., March 11, 1882. Mr. KEELER is now engaged in the lumbering business and also in farming. Since 1876 he has been superintendent of the Maple Grove Sunday-school, in which he takes a great interest. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887 Benton Township pg. 378)

John S. KLINE, farmer, P. O. Benton, was born in Luzerne County, Huntington Township, December 18, 1840, a son of A. J. KLINE, of Fishingcreek. He married, February 1, 1870, Mary E. APPLEMAN of Benton Township. She was born July 31, 1844, a daughter of Samuel APPLEMAN. They were married in the house they now occupy, and the farm of 100 acres, which Mr. KLINE owns, was a part of the old APPLEMAN homestead. They have had four children: Rosa M., born September 24, 1871, and died January 6, 1872; Lillian M., born February 9, 1876; Samuel R., December 26, 1879, and Otis C., October 8, 1884. Mr. KLINE enlisted, January 1, 1862, in Battery F, Second Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery, One Hundred and Twelfth in the line; was mustered in Philadelphia as a private, and mustered out as first lieutenant, January 29, 1866, in City Point, Va. His company joined Grant's army at Cold Harbor, and operated with him until the close of the war, when he came home. He then traveled six months in the west, and on returning hired on his father's farm. Mr. KLINE has also been engaged in teaching school; is a good penman, and favors the modern modes of education. He is an experienced business man and has been connected with many of the enterprises of the town, as will be noticed elsewhere. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887 Benton Township pg. 378)

Isaac Kinney KRICKBAUM, farmer, P. O. Cambria, Luzerne County, was born in Benton Township on the farm now occupied by him. February 23, 1825. His father, Philip K. KRICKBAUM, was born in Montgomery County, October 10, 1793, and was a son of Philip, who was born in the same county in 1759, and died in 1822. Philip K. passed his early life in Catawissa Township, and came to Benton Township in 1819, and in 1820 built a cabin near the creek, a little beyond the place where he last built. His sister kept house for him, and he cleared about twenty acres and built a house, which, after two years was destroyed by fire, but on the site of which he built another. March 24, 1824, he married Anna, daughter of John KINNEY, who settled in Bloom Township about 1800. Mrs. KRICKBAUM was reared on what is known as the "WALLER Farm," and her people were from New Jersey. Our subject's father died November 10, 1856, of typhoid fever after an illness of a few days, and with his wife is buried in Benton Cemetery. Isaac Kinney KRICKBAUM married, February 22, 1866, Miss Susanna DRUM, of Butler Township, Luzerne County, and a daughter of Philip DRUM, deceased. Mr. KRICKBAUM is one of the prominent and prosperous men of the township; served as justices of the peace continuously from 1860 to 1877; was elected associate judge in 1877, and served five years, and has also held minor positions. His education has been acquired by his own efforts, first attending school at Cambria when he was ten years old. The advantages at Catawissa were very poor, and moreover, he was the eldest of six children, as follows: Isaac K., Susan C., born September 30, 1826; Mary A., born in October, 1827, and died April 6, 1829; Samuel Powell, Margaret and Elmira. Both the last named are deceased. Our subject's farm consists of 196 acres, with about 140 under a high state of cultivation, and considering the stony nature of the country and the terrible task to clear and fence a farm, Mr. KRICKBAUM has succeeded admirably. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887 Benton Township pg. 379)

Samuel P. KRICKBAUM, farmer, P. O. Cambria, Luzerne County, was born April 6, 1829, and spent his early life on his father's homestead, which the latter had cleared and improved. February 26, 1857, he married Miss Margaret McBRIDE, daughter of Hugh McBRIDE, who now resides near Columbus. Mrs. KRICKBAUM was born near Berwick, Columbia County, where her father was a farmer. To Mr. and Mrs. KRICKBAUM have been born two children: Clara A., wife of Francis L. SHULTZ, of Raven Creek, and Mary R., at home When the KRICKBAUM estate was divided, 186 acres were given to our subject, and at this time he has 100 acres under cultivation. On coming to the farm he built a plank house, which was very substantial, but when the country became improved was torn down, and the new white house erected in 1880. All the other improvements have also been made by Mr. KRICKBAUM. He is a popular citizen, and has held some minor offices, especially in his school district. He comes of a family whose members were always useful citizens, and foremost in lending a helping hand to worthy enterprises. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887 Benton Township pg. 379)

Peter LAUBACH, farmer, P. O. Raven Creek, was born April 15, 1825, in Sugar Loaf Township, on a part of the old LAUBACH homestead. At the age of eight years he moved with his parents to Benton Township, and lived on the old John LAUBACH farm, first settled by Benjamin COLEMAN. December 14, 1848, he married Miss Susan C., daughter of Philip KRICKBAUM. After his marriage he conducted a store in Benton about nine months, and in 1847 purchased 100 acres where he now resides. This he improved with buildings, etc., and moved on it in 1850. He now owns 440 acres and is considered one of the most substantial farmers in northern Columbia County. The following named children were born to Mr. and Mrs. LAUBACH; Isaac K. K., born October 28, 1849, married Anna, daughter of Thomas GIBBONS, and resides in Benton Township; John C., born January 12, 1851, died September 17, 1854; Rhoda Ann and Margaret Ann (twins), born April 5, 1855—the former is the wife of Henry C. LEARN and resides near Berwick, Margaret Ann is the wife of Frank P. DILDINE, near Benton; Sarah E. B. and Freace Brown (twins) born September 19, 1858; the latter died in infancy, the former is the wife of Alvin W. DRESHER and resides in Benton Township; Winfield Scott, born April 26, 1861, conducts the home farm and married February 10, 1886, Elizabeth C., daughter of Samuel ROBERTS, and Susan Matilda, born November 25, 1868, died January 19, 1869. Mr. LAUBACH joined the Presbyterian Church in 1863 and has served as ruling elder, secretary of the session and treasurer of the church fund. He was postmaster at Raven Creek from November 11, 1872, to March 9, 1886. Politically he is a Republican; is a member of the Masonic fraternity, R. A. degree, charter member of Oriental Lodge, No. 460, at Orangeville. He was drafted twice, sent two substitutes to the civil war, one in the nine months' draft and the other in the last three years' draft service. John G. LAUBACH (great-grandfather of our subject), emigrated with his father from Holland and settled in Philadelphia in 1736. His children were Susan, John Michael, John, John Christian, Ann Mary, John Conrad (died young), John Conrad, Anna Margaret, Catharine, John George, Wilberg and Elizabeth. John Christian, the grandfather of our subject, was born June 30, 1764, in Bucks County, Penn., and married Anna Mary FRUTCHY, who was born February 3, 1773. She died July 8, 1823, and he March 15, 1825, and both are buried at St. Gabriel's Church. He was the first LAUBACH to settle in Columbia County in 1790, and came to Sugarloaf Township in 1793. There he took up a farm on what is now known as "Fritz Hill," a tract of about 400 acres. His family consisted of Susan, who married John MOORE, to whom she bore eight children and died in her ninety-fist year; George married Elizabeth, daughter of Benjamin COLEMAN, one of the first settlers in Sugarloaf Township and now in his ninetieth year and lives in Michigan; Frederick, married Mary LARISH, and their eight children are now all married and living; Peter, died in childhood; Hannah, resides in the Town of Bloomsburg, the widow of Thomas CONNOR, and has three sons and two daughters: Elizabeth, wife of William COLE and mother of nine children, eight now living: Anna Margaret, married William IKELER, and died in Fishingcreek Township: Polly wife of John IKELER, they reside in Michigan and have five children living; Catharine, is the widow of John R. DAVIS, and lives in Benton—she has nine children living; Christian, married Hannah HEFLEY and resides in Danville, Montour County; John (father of our subject), married Ann, daughter of Abraham KLINE, Jr. The following are the names of their children: Abraham, in Washington Territory, a minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church; Rhoda Ann, married J. H. HARRISON and died January 29, 1884, in Union Township, Luzerne County; Isaac, married Sarah, daughter of Christian ASH, served in the civil war three years as volunteer and volunteered three more years, now resides in Iowa; Peter; George, married Charlotte McHENRY, a daughter of Daniel McHENRY, Jr; George, enlisted in the One Hundred and Ninety-ninth Pennsylvania Volunteers and served one year, receiving an honorable discharge; Christian, married Sarah Ann, daughter of Jonathan C. PENNINGTON; John Frutchy, married Susan TAYLOR, and died October 24, 1863; Daniel S., married Elizabeth YOUNG, served in the One Hundred and Seventy-eighth nine-months' draft men; David Kline, married Mary PENNINGTON (he served in the One-Hundred and Ninety-ninth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry), and Frederick, married Lucy, daughter of Rev. M. H. HARRISON; he enlisted in the Ninety-third Pennsylvania Volunteer three years, and enlisted three years more after the close of his first term, and died October 29, 1881. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887 Benton Township pg. 379)

Dr. J. B. LAUBACH, dentist, Benton, was born in Sugarloaf Township, Columbia County, January 8, 1849, a son of Andrew and Nancy (BRITTON) LAUBACH, natives, respectively, of Columbia and Luzerne Counties, the former of whom is well known in this county. Tracing the ancestry, we find that Frederick LAUBACH, the grandfather of our subject, was a native of Germany, of a very hardy stock, and whose descendants have all been strong, healthy men and women. Our subject remained on the farm until the age of twenty, when he went to Batavia, N. Y., and engaged for two years with Dr. J. LARISH, and then moved to Muir, Mich., where he was with John KUDER for a time. In 1873 he came to Benton and remained until 1876; thence moved to Stanardsville, Va., where he remained two years. In 1878 he returned to Benton, where he has since been engaged in the practice of his profession, and is now the oldest dentist in the village. January 1, 1872, he married Miss Alvaretta McHENRY, a daughter of Benjamin McHENRY. She died December 10, 1881, and our subject married for his second wife Hatty DERR, of Hughesville, Lycoming County, and two children bless their union: Frank B. and Emma B. Dr. LAUBACH has a nice home in the village, where he has settled down, intending to serve the people to the best of his ability. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887 Benton Township pg. 380)

Elias McHENRY, insurance agent, Benton, the eldest son of Moses McHENRY, was born March 25, 1817, in a log house which stood near the present residence of Daniel McHENRY, in Stillwater, Fishingcreek Township. September 6, 1838, he married Sallie Ann, daughter of John STOKER of Fishingcreek, and shortly after the young couple removed to Jackson Township, where they resided until the fall of 1840. Mr. McHENRY then purchased a farm in the southwest part of the township of Benton on which he remained until 1873. He then sold to his son and removed to Benton Village, where he clerked for his brother, and four years later began to solicit for insurance, in which business he has since been constantly engaged. He has resided on the same lot since coming to Benton, and a few years ago erected a comfortable home. To Mr. and Mrs. McHENRY six children were born, as follows: Russell P., born in 1839, married to Sarah A. APPLEMAN August 24, 1859, and resides near the village (they have had seven children, three of whom are living); John S., born December 28, 1841; Mary E., born May 27, 1843, wife of Ellis McHENRY of Jackson Township; James A., born October 22, 18??, and died at the age of three months; Lyman P., born December 22, 1846, married Anna APPLEMAN, and resides in Benton, and Myron T., born November 15, 1849. Mr. McHENRY has served his district as school director and supervisor, and his fame as a fisherman extends throughout the entire county. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887 Benton Township pg. 380)

James B. McHENRY, the genial host of the McHENRY House, Benton, was born in Greenwood Township, February 8, 1851, a son of Benjamin McHENRY. In 1863 he moved with his parents to Fishingcreek Township, where he remained three years. He then went to Cambria, Luzerne County, and began to learn the trade of blacksmithing, to which he applied himself for four years. In 1875 he came to Benton and followed his trade until 1886, when he assumed the control of the McHENRY House. Mr. McHENRY has been an active, industrious business man, and has made scores of friends. He married, February 8, 1871, Miss Maria, daughter of George MOORE, of Sugarloaf Township. Mrs. McHENRY was born November 2, 1849, and has borne her husband four children: Annetta, born August 26, 1872, in Cambria; Rebecca A., August 30, 1882, in Benton Village; Lloyd C., born April 2, 1884, in Benton Village; F. H. McHENRY, born October 30, 1886, in Benton Village. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887 Benton Township pg. 380)

John J. McHENRY, merchant, Benton, was born April 3, 1824, at Stillwater, Columbia Co., Penn., and spent his early life at home. At the age of twenty-three he went to Rohrsburg, engaged as a clerk with Mills & Schuyler, and while thus employed married Miss Sarah, daughter of John LUNDY, a merchant of Rohrsburg and Danville, the ceremony being performed at the latter place. After the marriage he remained four years in the store of Mr. LUNDY, removing thence to Mifflinville, where he conducted a store for the same gentleman. He next removed to Berwick and remained six years; thence to Cambria, Luzerne County, and after seven years' residence at that place came to Benton. Here since 11865 he has been engaged in mercantile business, and since 1880 has also engaged in handling and cutting lumber at Benton and other points. He has a half interest in 100 acres of timber land in Sugarloaf Township. To Mr. McHENRY and wife the following children were born: Anna M., Albert L., Harriet E. (wife of J. W. HOYT), Hudson O. (married to Miss Anna STADON, and engaged in the business with his father), Mary M. and Charles J.; the latter possesses fine musical talent and is engaged in teaching the art. Mr. McHENRY is a good citizen and owns considerable property in the village; he comes of a hardy family, and looks and acts as young as most men of forty. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887 Benton Township pg. 381)

Alexander McHENRY, farmer and teacher, P. O. Benton, was born near Stillwater, Columbia Co., Penn., March 26, 1828, the eldest child of James D. and Rachel (COLLEY) McHENRY (both now deceased). He was educated in the common schools and at the age of eighteen began teaching at West Creek schoolhouse, and followed the profession for seventeen successive winters and still teaches, having taught eleven terms since the war, in the winter season. While teaching he enlisted, September 2, 1864, in Company D, Two Hundred and Tenth Pennsylvania Infantry, at Troy, and was discharged May 27, 1865, at Annapolis, Md. He was taken prisoner at Five Forks March 28, 1865, and remained two days and then paroled. While in the service he acted as company clerk and corporal, and in this double capacity worked so hard that his health was severely affected. In 1867 he bought his present place of fifty acres two miles southwest of Benton. He married at Town Hill, January 1, 1852, Elizabeth, daughter of James BUCKALEW. Mrs. McHENRY was born January 9, 1833, and died February 9, 1882 the mother of the following children: Lucretia A., born September 22, 1855, died November 28, 1876; Harriet Ida, born September 29, 1858, died March 21, 1875; Mary Mott, born July 5, 1861; Alice Maude (wife of A. C. KARNES of Benton); Franklin G., born May 8, 1867, died May 15, 1867. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887 Benton Township pg. 381)

Thomas C. McHENRY, M. D. Benton, was born in Greenwood Township, Columbia Co., Penn., February 9, 1844, son of Benjamin and Lovina (CONNER) McHENRY. He spent his early life on a farm, and at the age of eighteen went to the academy at New Columbus, Luzerne County, where he remained two or three years. He then went to Lewisburg, where after two years he graduated in 1867. He then commenced the study of medicine with Dr. BRADLEY of Bloomsburg; then attended lectures at the University of Ann Arbor, Mich., where he graduated in 1870. That year he commenced to practice his profession in Benton, and now has a large patronage in Columbia, Luzerne and Lycoming Counties. In February, 1871, he married Susan MILLORD, who died within a year after marriage, and March 24, 1874, Dr. McHENRY married Lizzie IKELER. They have two children: Lula M., born February 25, 1875, and Benjamin J., born August 17, 1882. Benjamin McHENRY, father of the above, was born in Stillwater, Columbia County, May 13, 1812, and is the eldest of the name living in the county. When about twenty-three years of age he left Stillwater and went to Greenwood Township, where he married Lavina CONNER. She was born in Greenwood Township, April 13, 1814, died October 16, 1884, and is buried in Benton Cemetery. At the age of thirty-eight Mr. McHENRY moved to Fishingcreek, where he remained about six years; thence to Mauch Chunk, Carbon County; later returned to Greenwood, Columbia County, and thence to Fishingcreek, where he conducted the hotel, "Cottage Inn," during the latter part of the war. He then resided in Greenwood until shortly after the death of his wife, since which event he makes his home with his sons in Benton and Cambria.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887 Benton Township pg. 381)

Isaac E. PATTERSON, M. D., Benton, was born in Orange Township, Columbia Co., Penn., April 1, 1844, a son of William PATTERSON, who was born in Greenwood Township, this county, and died in Fishingcreek Township in 1852. After his father's death Isaac returned to Orange Township and remained under the care of an uncle, M. C. VANCE, until eighteen years of age, attending school a portion of the time. From 1862 to 1864 he was a student in Orangeville Academy, and on September 2, of the latter year enlisted in Company D, Two Hundred and Tenth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and was mustered in at Harrisburg. He served until May 30, 1865, and March 1 of that year was promoted quartermaster-sergeant. He participated in many of the hard-fought battles, among which may be mentioned Arlington Heights, before Petersburg, with the Army of the Potomac, Bellfield raid, Hatcher's Run, and in the destruction of the Weldon Railroad, Gravel Run and Appomattox, where the flag of truce was carried back through the lines of his company, and at the close of the war he participated in the grand review at Washington. Returning to Orangeville he again entered school, and in the winter of 1865-66 was engaged as a teacher at Beach Haven, Luzerne County. The next summer he began the study of medicine under Drs. RITTENHOUSE and McRAY, and the following winter (1866-67) again taught school, continuing through the summer also. He then entered Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, where he took his first course of lectures in the winter of 1867-68; attended the summer session and graduated in March 1869. He commenced practice in Beach Haven, Luzerne County, where he intended locating, but moved to Laporte, Sullivan county, where he was employed by the tannery companies to practice among their people. He remained there until 1874, when he came to Benton and bought the real estate and practice of Dr. CHAPIN, who continued to "ride" with Dr. PATTERSON for one year. Our subject then formed a partnership with Dr. EDWARDS, which lasted four years, since which time he has been alone. The Doctor married, April 7, 1870, Miss Martha SEELEY, a native of Salem, Luzerne County. Dr. PATTERSON owns a farm of sixty-five acres a short distance north of Benton and his residence in the village. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887 Benton Township pg. 381)

Aaron SMITH (deceased) was born January 2, 1820, on the banks of the Susquehanna River, Hanover Township, Luzerne County, and was the eldest of ten children. His parents were of German descent and moved to Columbia County when he was fourteen years of age. He was reared on the farm and received a good common-school education. In 1843 he married Miss Charlotte A. CAMPBELL, of Scotch descent. He was converted about 1842, joined the Methodist Episcopal Church and served as class leader about thirty-five years, or up to the time of his death. He contributed largely to church and church funds, and was a great pillar of support to the Hamline Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he was a member from the time of his conversion. After the death of his first wife he married Amanda L. DAVIS in the spring of 1884. He took a trip through the Western States and returned home in the summer of 1884 and died June 14, 1885, aged sixty-five years, five months and twelve days. He was buried in the Hamiline Cemetery. There were born to the union of Aaron and Charlotte A. (CAMPBELL) SMITH, Firman S., born January 27, 1844; Richard T., July 4, 1845; William A. and Alice A. (twins), June 3, 1856, and died in infancy, and H. Wilber, February 26, 1860.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887 Benton Township pg. 382)

Firman S. SMITH, P. O. Raven Creek, is a son of Aaron and Charlotte A. (CAMPBELL) SMITH, and was born in Benton Township, Columbia Co. He lived with his parents on the farm assisting his father in the summer and attending school in Benton District in winter until he was nineteen years of age. He then attended school for one year at New Columbus Academy, Luzerne county, after which he taught school during the winter of 1863-64 in Benton District. He enlisted at Troy, Bradford Co., Penn., March 31, 1864, for three years or during the war, and was in the following engagements: Wilderness, Mine Run, Spottsylvania Court House, Va., North Ann River, Cold Harbor, and the charge in front of Petersburg, June 17 and 18, 1864. His company was later detached from the regiment to serve in mortar battery, and engaged in all the artillery movements in front of Petersburg, throwing over 6,000 shells in the rebel works and blowing up three magazines. The company was relieved from the battery August 24, 1864, and ordered back to join the regiment. At Ream Station, Va., Mr. SMITH was taken sick and sent to the division hospital in front of Petersburg; thence to City Point; thence to Fort Schuyler McDougall General Hospital, N. Y.; furloughed November 1, 1864, and remained at home sick eighty-four days. He returned to the hospital January 23, 1865, and served as ward master at general kitchen department until discharged June 17, 1865. During the winter of 1865-66 he taught school, and in 1866 married Miss Huldah R. DODSON, the daughter of George and Hannah (SEELY) DODSON. In 1867 Mr. SMITH attended Commercial College at Poughkeepsie, N. Y., and graduated August 15 of the same year. He engaged in mercantile business at Mahonoy City in 1868. Subsequently he returned to Benton Township, Columbia County, where he purchased and located on a farm, and has since been engaged in farming and teaching, having taught twenty-three terms. The following are the names of the children born to Mr. and Mrs. SMITH: Lenore Estelle, born March 5, 1867; Minnie Gertrude, born July 17, 1868; Aaron Raymond, born December 31, 1869; Fannie Evada, born August 16, 1871, died July 10, 1875; Jennie Adrielle, born May 6, 1874; Ada and Eva (twins) born and died March 20, 1873; Ninolia Theberne born May 18, 1876; Susie May, born May 1, 1879; Carrie Josephine, born March 28, 1881; Permillie born November 19, 1882, and Geraldine, born November 5, 1884. Mrs. SMITH is of English descent on the paternal and German on the maternal side, and was born August 5, 1846. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887 Benton Township pg. 382)

Richard T. SMITH, farmer, P. O. Taurus, was born July 4, 1845, in Benton Township, and remained on the old homestead until 1872. In 1873 he worked on the N. W. R. R., and in 1875 located on a farm in Briarcreek Township, this county, one year, removing thence to Nescopeck. He came to his present home in 1878, buying a farm of ninety-seven and a half acres. This was the George DODSON estate, is well cultivated and kept neat and tidy. Mr. SMITH began teaching in 1869, and followed that profession for four successive winters, and again in 1875, since which time he has devoted his attention to farming, but still takes a great interest in educational matters, and likes to see all modern improvements in school work succeed. Besides teaching and farming he has engaged in lumbering for three years at Nescopeck, his family residing on the farm. At present he is engaged in conjunction with C. A. WESLEY in erecting a large planing-mill and sash and door factory at Benton this county. Mr. SMITH married, February 5, 1870, Frances, daughter of George and Hannah (SEELEY) DODSON, and the following children have been born to their union: Torrence C., born January 21, 1871; Anna C., May 24, 1872; Edna G., May 23, 1876; Verdie E., December 4, 1877; Atta M., May 5, 1879; Lane T., December 17, 1884, and Firman E., November 13, 1885. Mr. SMITH is a member of the I. O. O. F., and keeps the Taurus postoffice. George DODSON, the father of Mrs. SMITH, came to Benton Township in 1839 from Town Hill. He was born February 1, 1804, near Harveyville, Luzerne Co., Penn., and died January 20, 1885, at his home at R. T. SMITH's in Benton Township, Columbia Co., Penn. Until his marriage he made his home at "DODSON's mill," on Pine Creek, in Huntington Township, Luzerne County. July 10, 1828, he married Hannah SEELEY, who was born in Salem Township July 4, 1806 In 1839 Mr. DODSON and his wife came to Benton Township, this county, where he took up a tract of land, 450 acres in all, covered with timber, and began to make a home out of the wilderness. Until 1866 he lived in a small house, which was situated across the road from the present residence of our subject. Later he erected the house which still stands there, but which has been greatly repaired. Here a large family was reared as follows: Susan B., born May 28, 1829; Mary Ann, April 14, 1831; Elias E., February 2, 1833; Margaret S., December 5, 1834; James T., June 11, 1837; Charles M., June 17, 1839; Caroline B., December 13, 1840 (died April 11, 1876); Chester S., January 6, 1843; Hulda R., August 5, 1846, and Frances A., December 17, 1848. Mr. DODSON was a man universally esteemed in Benton Township, and his death was deeply regretted. He was true to his principles of right, very evenly dispositioned, and reared a family worthy of himself. His widow makes her home with her daughter, Mrs. R. T. SMITH.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887 Benton Township pg. 382)

John C. WENNER, farmer, P. O. Cambria, was born April 10, 1836, in Fishingcreek Township, near Bendertown, a son of Jacob and Leah (KAUFF) WENNER. Our subject remained at home until his marriage, January 1, 1859, to Hannah, a daughter of William SAVAGE and Mary (CLINERMAN) SAVAGE of Fishingcreek Township. They were natives of Berks County, Penn., are both deceased and buried in Fishingcreek Township. Mr. and Mrs. WENNER lived about two years in Fishingcreek before removing to their present home in Benton in 1861. The farm consists of seventy acres and is well improved; the house is comparatively new, having been built by Mr. WENNER, and is nicely located, making quite a desirable home. There are three children in the family, as follows; Rebecca, born December 9, 1859; Frances A., born November 28, 1861, wife of J. F. ASHELMAN; Sallie C., born March 23, 18164, wife of William ASHELMAN, all living near him. Mr. WENNER was engaged in school-teaching a long time--from 1858 to 1882-- and almost every winter found him in that capacity in Fishingcreek and Benton Townships. During the term of 1858-59, he taught the village school at Benton, but his health failing he abandoned the profession and engaged in farming. He is a correspondent to the Benton papers, and a friend of education. The family are identified with the Reformed church in Fishingcreek. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887 Benton Township pg. 383)

* Footnote - Observation from a researchers regarding Lafayette KEELER (pg. 378). He states: "the book has a typo. Benjamin's DOB could not have been 20 Dec. 1797. He had a sister Elizabeth born 3 MONTHS LATER, 28 March 1798. Birth order listing suggests that Benjamin's birth date was really 20 Dec. 1799.

Back to

COLUMBIA COUNTY BIOS

MONTOUR COUNTY BIOS

SOME OTHER BIOGRAPHIES

HISTORY OF COLUMBIA COUNTY

HISTORY OF MONTOUR COUNTY

 
 

 
MY FILE CABINET
FAMILY LINES
JOWEST