From "The History of Columbia and Mountour Counties"
Battle, 1887

D. CHATLEY BLACK, merchant, Centralia, was born in County Donegal, Ireland, December 4, 1838, son of David and Martha (CHATLEY) BLACK. In 1845 the family came to America and located at Minersville, Schuylkill Co., Penn., where the father was engaged in coal mining, and where the mother died in 1852. In 1861 our subject and his father came to Centralia, and here the latter died June 3, 1873. Our subject then secured a position in the "Hazel Dell" colliery as engineer, which he held until 1870. He then opened a store which he still conducts, handling groceries, flour, feed, etc. He married in Union county, July 15, 1869, Miss Carrie E. DANOWSKY, a native of Allentown, Penn., daughter of Dr. W. F. DANOWSKY of that place, who died there in 1875, and where he held a high rank as a physician. Her mother's maiden name was Carrie BARRENS. She also died at Allentown, in 1880. Mr. and Mrs. BLACK were the parents of seven children, of whom five are living: Carrie, Sallie, Jennie, Addie and Tillie: the deceased are Mattie and Willie. Mr. BLACK owns besides his store building and stock, a one-sixth interest in the Centralia Water Company. He was one of the promoters and builders of the water system, and is justice of the peace of the borough of Centralia, having been elected in 1884. In politics he is a Republican. Mr. BLACK's ancestors on both sides were of Scotch-Irish extraction, and were born in the town of Letterkenny, Ireland, in 1798. They were Presbyterians on both sides, to which church Mr. BLACK and his family belong.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 428)

George W. BILLMAN, proprietor of the Montana Hotel, Centralia, was born in Schuylkill County, Penn., October 8, 1851, son of Charles M. and Christina (GEIST) BILLMAN, natives of Barry Township, Schuylkill Co., Penn., where the former still resides: the latter died there about 1861, and is buried in the Lutheran Cemetery at Kimmels, Schuylkill County. George W. was reared in his native county, and there engaged in farming. In April, 1884, he came to Columbia County and purchased the Montana hotel, at Montana, Penn., which he still conducts. He married, in Schuylkill County, February 14, 1884, Miss Christina Miller, a native of New York City and daughter of Franklin and Catherine MILLER, natives of Germany, former of whom died in New York, and the latter in Ashland, Penn. Mr. and Mrs. BILLMAN have one child, Agnes Florence, born August 20, 1884. The parents are members of the Lutheran Church at Kimmels. In politics Mr. BILLMAN is a Democrat. The above named house was built by a Mr. ROADENBERGER, in the year 1820; of stone, and was kept as a hotel by Mr. ROADENBERGER for a number of years; he was succeeded by a Mr. Joseph MILLER, William HUGHES, Joseph ZIMMERMAN, Isaac BETZ, Jacob ZIMMERMAN, Adam CLAYBERGER, John JONES, Peter HOWER, Samuel LIEBY, William GOODMAN, Samuel LEIBY, Isaac EDWARDS, Daniel E. KELNES, Jonathan FAUST, George W. BILLMAN. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 429)

W. BRYSON, attorney and representative in the General Assembly of Pennsylvania, Centralia, was born at Minersville, Schuylkill Co., Penn., June 13, 1849, a son of John and Catherine (GORRELL) BRYSON. They were both natives of Ireland, and coming to this country, were married in Philadelphia, whence they removed to Minersville, Schuylkill County. The mother died at Harrison, that county, but the father still resides at Philadelphia. Our subject attended the public schools of Schuylkill County, and in 1867 entered the State normal school at Bloomsburg. He also attended Dickinson College at Williamsport, and is a graduate of Prof. A. DAVIS' Commercial College at the latter city. In July, 1863, he moved to Columbia County, located at Centralia and taught school in the adjoining townships. He was afterward employed as bookkeeper in the First National Bank at Ashland, which position he held three years. He then went to Bloomsburg, this county, and commenced reading law with C. R. BUCKALEW & Son, and was admitted to the bar at Bloomsburg in 1875. That year he opened an office in Centralia, where he still has his home. He was nominated by the Democratic party for representative in 1882, and elected to that position in the fall of that year. In the autumn of 1884 he was re-elected to represent the county in the Legislature, and is a member of the present House. He is a member of the Masonic Lodge at Bloomsburg.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 429)

DANIEL F. CURRY, postmaster, Centralia, was born in Schuylkill County, this State, August 15, 1843, a son of Thomas and Margaret (MORAN) CURRY. His father died in Schuylkill County, October 23, 1857. Daniel F. early engaged in mining and at the age of seventeen years was employed as superintendent of the colliery of HENNETT & OLIVER, Schuylkill County, which position he held until 1864, when he came to Centralia and became foreman of the Continental colliery, operated by Charles GOODRICH & Co. He had charge both inside and out until 1870, when he retired from mining, and embarked in the wholesale liquor business at Centralia, which he carried on about three years, at the end of which time the block in which his store was situated was destroyed by fire. He then started in the hotel business, which he still conducts. He is a Democrat; was appointed postmaster of Centralia January 1, 1886, and has been a member of the borough council, also held other local positions. He was married November 1, 1865, to Miss Mary FARRELL, daughter of Patrick and Elizabeth FARRELL. Mr. and Mrs. CURRY were the parents of ten children, of whom seven are living; Margaret, Annie, Thomas, Mollie, Elizabeth, Daniel and Gertrude. The deceased are Lizzie, Josephine and Michael. Mr. CURRY enlisted in April 1861, in company C, Fifth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, colonel McDOWELL. They were assigned to Gen. HEINTZELMAN's corps, and were in Alexandria at the time of the shooting of Col. ELLSWORTH. Mr. CURRY was mustered out with his regiment at Harrisburg at the expiration of the term of enlistment. At the time of the invasion of Gen. LEE he raised a company in Schuylkill County, and was commissioned first lieutenant by Gov. CURTIN, his commission bearing date June 15, 1863. The company was mustered in Company K, Fifty-third Pennsylvania Regiment, and mustered out later in the year, there being no further need for the number raised at that time.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 429)

G. W. DAVIS, Jr., druggist, P. O. Centralia, was born in Minersville, Schuylkill Co., Penn., September 5, 1855. His parents, George WOOD and Mary E. (EDWARDS) DAVIS, were natives of Wales, and came to this country, the former in the early part of 1854, the latter arriving on the 7th of the following November, on which date they were married in New York. They then moved to Minersville, Schuylkill County, where the father engaged in mining. In 1860 he went to the big mine run, and engaged as contractor in sinking a slope. He returned to Minersville, and later came to Centralia and was one of the contractors for sinking the slope for J. M. FRECK & Co., miners and shippers of coal. He continued to mine coal at that colliery until a spell of idleness, caused by the miners standing out for higher wages, compelled him to engage with R. GORRELL & Co. At the Continental colliery, with six others, he was employed on a slope at night, to avoid stopping the hoisting in the daytime. While returning from work about 1 A.M., they were shot at from an ambush while walking through a cut on the Lehigh Valley Railroad track, the lights on their heads making them easily discernible. Their assailants probably supposed that their victims had intended to take their places. Mr. DAVIS was shot through the lungs and so severely wounded that he never entirely recovered from the effects. Some time after he was engaged with J. P. JONES at the No. 5 tunnel, Lansford, where he remained about two years. An opening then offered to him at his home in Centralia, and he became foreman of the mine of G. M. PREVOST, and after six months went to bear Ridge colliery No. 1, Mahanoy Plain. from there, after three years, he went to Ashland and became foreman of the tunnel colliery. Philadelphia & Reading Coal and Iron Company, and was thus engaged about two years, when he accepted a similar position at the Big Mine Run colliery, J. TAYLOR & Co. While thus engaged, passing through an entry November 7, 1885, a large piece of coal fell from the roof and so injured him that he was confined to bed for three months. He then resumed his duties, but a day's trial compelled him to return to bed, and he died May 31, 1886, and was buried in the Oddfellows cemetery, Centralia. His widow and eleven children still reside here. George W., Jr., commenced the drug business in 1869, and finished his apprenticeship in 1872. In 1874 his father, who was then appointed postmaster, bought a drug store in the postoffice building. George W., Jr., who had been an assistant in the postoffice since 1869, conducted the store and transacted the principal business of the post office. His father was postmaster until December, 1885. Our subject was a member of the borough school board for 1886, succeeding his father. The latter was a member of the I. O. O. F., and highly respected by all who knew him.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 429)

H. J. FERGUSON, railroad agent L. V. Railroad, Centralia, was born in Minersville, Schuylkill Co., Penn., January 1, 1852, to Thomas and Martha (CHRISTOPHER) FERGUSON, natives of Ireland, who came to America in 1842, and located at Pottsville, Penn. From Pottsville they removed to Branch Dale, thence to Minersville, thence to Shenandoah, where the father died in September, 1883, and where the mother still resides. Our subject was educated at Minersville, Fort Carbon and Boylestown, and on going to Shenandoah taught school in the vicinity and afterward in the borough. In 1870 he entered the office of the Lehigh Valley Railroad at Shenandoah, where he was assistant agent under his brother. There he remained about eight years, varying his occupation sometimes by teaching school. In October, 1878, he was appointed by the railroad management as agent at Centralia, which position he has held since that time. The business of the Centralia office, over which he has control, will amount to probably $30,000 per year; this is exclusive of the coal trade, with which this office has nothing to do. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 430)

A. B. FORTNER, stoves and tinware, Centralia, was born in Catawissa, Columbia Co., Penn., July 28, 1843, son of B. P. and Mary (DAVIS) FORTNER. They were both born in Columbia County, the former now living at Catawissa; the latter died there in April, 1884. Our subject was reared in Columbia County, and was employed on the Catawissa Railroad about nine months. In 1863 he was appointed assistant internal revenue assessor for the Thirteenth District. He was engaged in the Government service about one year, and then came to Centralia, and embarked in his present business which he has since followed. He married at Catawissa, in November, 1865, Miss Mary N. DEAN, a native of Columbia County, Penn., and a daughter of Thomas L. DEAN. Her father now resides in Catawissa. Her mother is dead. Mr. and Mrs. FORTNER are the parents of five children, three of whom are living: Elizabeth, Charles and Mary; the deceased are Harry and an infant. Mr. FORTNER is a member of the K. of L. His father was a representative in the Legislature of the State of Pennsylvania at the time of the division of the counties of Columbia and Montour, served one term and also held the position of general internal revenue assessor of the Thirteenth District for about three years. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 430)

WILLIAM GOODMAN, agent of mining companies, P. O. Centralia, was born in Northumberland County, Penn., August 14, 1825, a son of William and Sarah (WETZEL) GOODMAN, natives of Northumberland County where the former died about 1828. When William had reached the age of about five years he moved with his mother to Columbia County, where she died March 15, 1882. William was reared in that county and on the 23d of January, 1845, married Miss Rosanna LEVAN, a native of Columbia County, and a daughter of Daniel, Sr., and Elizabeth (HOUCK) LEVAN. Both died in this county, the former in 1863 and the latter about 1873. Mr. and Mrs. GOODMAN are the parents of nine children, seven of whom are living: Elizabeth, wife of Ira ROADERMEL, residing in Montana; Daniel, married to Harriet PERSON, also residing in Montana; Isaac, married to Amanda MOYER, residing at Girardville, Penn.; Benjamin, married to Mary HARRIS, residing in Conyngham Township; Chrisitana, wife of Jerry GEORGE, residing in Montana; Catherine, wife of Levi GEORGE, in Centralia, and Ira. The deceased are William and Henry Clinton. In 1869 Mr. GOODMAN was given charge of the lands of the coal companies in Conyngham Township by the coal and mining companies, and in 1878 he was given charge of all repairs and buildings on the public roads. Mr. and Mrs. GOODMAN are members of the Presbyterian Church in Locust Township.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 430)

J. M. GWINNER, M. D., Centralia, was born at St. Clair, Schuylkill Co., Penn., natives of Wurtemburg, Germany, died in Schuylkill County, this State, where his widow still resides. Our subject commenced his education in the public schools of St. Clair, finishing at the Palatinate College, this State. After finishing at the Palatinate College, he entered the office of Dr. A. P. CARR, St. Clair, as a student and remained with him until his graduation in medicine. In the fall of 1879 he entered the Pennsylvania University, and graduated from that institution in March, 1881. After graduating he remained in the office of Dr. CARR until October, 1881, when he came to Centralia and entered upon the practice of medicine and surgery, and has since remained here. He was elected coroner of Columbia County at the fall election of 1885, his term commencing January 1, 1886. He has built up a good practice and made an enviable record since becoming a citizen of Centralia. Dr. GWINNER still retains his membership in the Schuylkill Medical Society.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 431)

THOMAS IRVIN, of the firm of Irvin Bros., Centralia, was born in Ireland, June 12, 1844, a son of William and Ann Jane IRVIN. His father died in that country, and in 1861 the family removed to the United States, and located at Christian Hundred, Brandywine Banks, Del. There they resided until coming to Centralia, Penn., about 1863. Thomas worked on the repairs in the mines for about three years and then obtained the position of boss of the loading, at which he was employed a number of years. He then engaged as clerk in the coal company's store and was there employed until 1879, when he and his brother embarked in mercantile business under the firm name of Irvin bros. They carry a general stock of clothing, dry goods, boots and shoes, groceries, flour and feed, and own the building in which the store is kept. Thomas married in 1866, Miss Mary, a native of Schuylkill County, Penn., and a daughter of John and Catherine BRYSON. Mr. and Mrs. IRVIN were the parents of nine children, six living; Robert, Catherine Ann, Thomas, Mary, Eva Lillian and William John. The deceased are John, Jennie and an infant unnamed. In 1861 Mr. IRVIN enlisted in Company B, Fifth Delaware Infantry, Col. McCOMAS, and was assigned to garrison duty at Fort Delaware. He remained in the service nine months and then returned home. Mr. IRVIN is a member of the Joe Hooker Post, G. A. R., at Ashland, and with his family, attends the Protestant Episcopal Church. John IRVIN, brother of Thomas, was born in Ireland, March 8, 1858. He came with his family to Centralia; is a member of the I. O. O. F. at this place. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 431)

H. J. KELLY, foreman of the Logan colliery, Centralia, was born in Monmouthshire, South Wales, June 6, 1884, son of James C. and Elizabeth (JONES) KELLY. In 1863 the family came to America and located in St. Clair, Schuylkill Co., Penn., where our subject went to work in the mines. His father died at St. Clair, December 9, 1884; his mother still resides there. Our subject commenced work in the mines of his native country when he reached the age of eight years, and on arriving at St. Clair became engaged at the Mount Laffee colliery. There he worked until 1864, when he enlisted in Company H, Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry; served in Virginia and Maryland, and at the close of the war was mustered out at Harrisburg in July, 1865. He then went back to St. Clair and to the mines, where he remained until 1872, when he went to Mahanoy City and there worked in several of the collieries. In April, 1875, he went to Ashland to take charge of the Bast colliery, Big Mine Run, for the Philadelphia & Reading Coal & Iron Company. He remained there until 1877, when he took charge of the Richardson colliery for the same company. He was thus engaged for nearly four years, and in 1881, on the opening of the Logan colliery, he came to Centralia to take charge of it, and has held that position since, having under him 400 men and boys. He was married at St. Clair July 30, 1867, to Miss Ann JONES, a native of St. Clair and a daughter of Evan and Celia JONES, both deceased. Mr. and Mrs. KELLY are the parents of nine children, eight of whom are now living: Frank, Harry, Elizabeth, Rhoslyn, Ida and Edith (twins), Annie Logan and Celia; the deceased one was named Mary. Mr. KELLY is a member of Minersville Lodge, No. 222, A.,F. & A.M.; is one of the directors of the poor of the Conyngham and Centralia District, having served as such since April, 1884.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 431)

JAMES McBREARTY, engineer, Centralia, was born in Carbon County, Penn., July 18, 1854, to Bernard and Mary (MARTIN) McBREARTY, both natives of Donegal, Ireland, where they were married, and, immigrating to America, settled in Carbon County, after a short stay in New York City. The former died in Boonesboro, Iowa, and the latter at Centralia. James came to Centralia with his parents when he had reached the age of eight years, in 1862, and here has since resided. When a boy he commenced work on a breaker, and afterward as a driver in the mines. He then served as fireman, and in 1871 was appointed engineer at the Centralia colliery. He remained there until 1875, and then engaged in the same capacity at the Continental colliery, where he was employed until 1883. He then obtained a similar position at the Hazel Dell colliery, which he still holds. He married at Centralia, march 28, 1872, Miss Sarah, a native of Schuylkill County, and a daughter of James and Mary (McCARTHY) COLIHAN, residents of Centralia. Mr. and Mrs. McBREARTY are the parents of three children: Mary, John and Bernard. Mr. McBREARTY retired from his position as engineer of the Hazel Dell colliery, and is now devoting himself to his business on Locust Avenue, Centralia, where he has a hotel.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 431)

CHARLES G. MURPHY, merchant, Centralia, was born in county Fermanagh, Ireland, January 18, 1844. He is the son of Charles MURPHY and Mary (CORRIGAN) MURPHY. The former was the youngest of four brothers and died in 1879 at the advanced age of eighty-two years. The latter is still living in her native country and is now about eighty years old. Early in 1862 our subject came to this country, and after trying various occupations with indifferent success, finally, in 1864, came to Centralia, Columbia Co., Penn., not knowing a person in the county, worked at the coal mines and labored on the then new branch of the Lehigh Valley Railroad, spending his spare time studying the American system of education. After successfully passing an examination he was appointed to a school in Centralia in January, 1865, which occupation he followed till 1874, when he embarked in mercantile business. This he has followed successfully since. He held a number of important positions, being treasurer of The Citizens Building and Loan Association since 1872; elected justice of the peace, he served for fifteen years, retiring of his own choice; has been school director and secretary of the board since 1876; was twice elected coroner of the county, and in 1886 was elected one of the associate judges of the Twenty-sixth Judicial District. Mr. MURPHY was married to Maggie CURRY in 1869, by whom ten children were born to him, four of whom are living: Mary, Maggie, Josephine and Susan. The family attended the Roman Catholic Church. In politics Mr. MURPHY is a strong Democrat, and frequently represented his county in the State Convention.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 432)

EDWARD REESE, superintendent of the collieries of L. A. Riley & Co., Centralia, was born in South Wales, May 29, 1839, a son of Thomas and Hannah (BULL) REESE. There his father was engaged in mining, and there his mother died. Edward became engaged in the mining industry in his native country, and in 1863 came to America, and located at Wadesville, Penn., in the vicinity of which place, at Ball's Slope, Schuylkill County, he engaged in mining. He remained there but a short time, making his home, however, at Wadesville. After eighteen months he made a trip to Wales, returned in February, 1865, and went to Mount Laffee, Schuylkill Co., Penn., where he worked for three years as a miner. He was then appointed mining foreman and held that position three and one-half years, when he received the appointment of inside boss at Bear Ridge. After four months he returned to Mount Laffee, Beachwood colliery as superintendent, which position he filled about three years, and then took the position of inside foreman at the tunnel colliery at Ashland, Schuylkill County. After two years he went to Mahanoy City, where he was engaged for six months sinking slopes etc., as inside foreman. He then went to Alaska to sink the Mount Carmel shaft in Northumberland County; thence to Ashland to accept the position of assistant mining superintendent of the Philadelphia & Reading Coal & Iron Company. This position he held for about five years, when his abilities were recognized by his promotion to the position of assistant mining inspector by the same company. He had charge of 22 collieries, or all north of the Broad Mountain, and remained in that position until September, 1880, when he was offered and accepted the position of general superintendent of the collieries of L. A. Riley & Co., at and near Centralia, Columbia County. When it became known that Mr. REESE had severed his connection with the Philadelphia & Reading Coal & Iron Company, a grand reception was gotten up at the Odd Fellows Hall, Ashland, and there on the evening of September 25, 1880, about 400 of the leading people connected with the mining interests assembled to bid him farewell, and which was one of the greatest social gatherings known in the coal regions, on which occasion Mr. REESE was made the recipient of a splendid gold-headed cane. He had charge of the Centralia, Logan and Hazel Dell collieries, Columbia County, and in February, 1886, was made general superintendent of the Park No. 1, Park No. 2 and Park No. 3 collieries of Lentz, Lilly & Co., Schuylkill County. He now has general supervision over works employing 3,000 men and boys. He married in Wales in 1863, Miss Ann LEWIS, and to them have been born the following named children: Thomas, Rachel, James, George, John, Daniel and Edward. Mr. REESE is a member of the Mineral Odd Fellows Lodge at St. Clair; of the Masonic Anthracite Lodge, A.F.&A.M. at St. Clair and Griscom Chapter, R. A. M. at Ashland. He has worked his way up from a poor boy to is present high position in the confidence of two of Pensylvania's great coal mining and shipping firms. His father died at Ashland in 1880.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 432)

GEORGE TROUTMAN, coal operator, Centralia, was born in Schuylkill County, Penn., May 23, 1835, son of Jacob and Rosina (GABELBECKER) TROUTMAN, both natives of Alsace (then in France, now in Germany). The father died in Schuylkill County, and the mother in Columbia County. Mr. TROUTMAN first commenced work in a breaker, in what was then the New Philadelphia colliery, about six miles from Pottsville. He afterward went to work in the mines, and in 1861 was made inside foreman at the Stewartsville colliery, of which he remained in charge about three years, and then went to Girard colliery as foreman about five years, then went to Nevada to try his fortune in the gold fields. Not finding things to his liking there, in the fall of the same year he returned to Pennsylvania and obtained the position of inside foreman in the Girard colliery, Girardville, where he remained for six years. He then came to Centralia and about twelve months was foreman at the "Continental" colliery. He then leased land west of Centralia, and commenced the mining business for himself on a small scale, taking out only the out-crop coal. He continued in this line of mining about three years, gradually increasing operations, and in 1880 formed a partnership with Isaac MAY, Harry MORGAN and James MAY, under the firm name of Isaac MAY & Co. The firm then constructed a breaker and continued operations on an increased scale, in the slope which Mr. TROUTMAN had commenced in 1879. They employ about 400 men and boys, and the out-put in 1885 was 102,000 tons, which was turned out, working on reduced time so that this amount does not represent the full capacity of the colliery. Their principal market is New York, and the works are on the line of the Lehigh Valley Railroad. Mr. TROUTMAN was married in Schuylkill county, Penn., September 2, 1856, to Miss Mary Jane QUICK, and they are the parents of twelve children, eleven of whom are living: Maria, Samuel J., Jennie, Laura, George F., Sallie, Edward J., Katie, Grayson, Lucretia and Eva; the deceased one was named Samuel. Mr. TROUTMAN is a member of the A.F.& A. M. at Ashland, and of the I. O. O. F. at Girardville.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 432)

JOHN J. WILLIAMS, mining, inspector of the Lehigh Valley Coal Company, Centralia, was born in Merthyr Tydvil, South Wales, April 22, 1838, son of Jacob and Mary WILLIAMS. In 1841 they immigrated to America, landing in new York on the 4th of July; then came to Pennsylvania and located in the Schuylkill Valley, three or four miles above Fort Carbon, where the father of our subject engaged in the mines. There John J. was reared, and there, at St. Clair, Pottsville and Sanford, they remained until the fall of 1854. Our subject went to Jo Daviess County, Ill., with his parents, and there, in the spring of 1855, his mother died, and the father, who was then temporarily in Pennsylvania, went to Illinois, and, after the funeral of his wife, returned to Pennsylvania and died at Ashland in 1882. Our subject remained in Illinois until the spring of 1857 when he was engaged in farm work, but at the time mentioned he returned to Pennsylvania, and went to work in the Coaldale colliery, at Summit Hill. He was there employed until the winter of 1862-63, when they removed to Ashland, where and in the vicinity he followed mining, at Keystone, Locust Run, Continental, James R. CLEAVERS's, Preston No. 2 of Girardsville, and Mahanoy Plain, in all thus engaged until 1873. He was then employed by the Reading Coal & Iron Company as mine inspector of the Ashland District, and remained in their employ until December, 1875, when he removed to Centralia and accepted the position of mining inspector for the Lehigh Valley Coal Company which he still holds. He was married at Mahanoy City may 27, 1879, to Mrs. Mary WILLIAMS, a native of Minersville, Penn., and a daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth JONES, who are both residents of Mahanoy City. Mr. and Mrs. WILLIAMS have two children: Arthur Lin and Clarence. Mrs. WILLIAMS had one son by her former marriage: Howard WILLIAMS. Mr. WILLIAMS is a member of the Ashland Locust Mountain Lodge, I. O. O. F., and of the Encampment at Ashland. He is also a member of the Ashland Lodge, A.F. & A.M., and a member of the Centralia Borough Council. In politics he is a Republican. The family attend the Presbyterian Church.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 433)

EDWARD WILLIAMS, Jr., foreman Centralia colliery, Centralia, was born in Cornwall, England, August 21, 1849, a son of Edward and Elizabeth (DAWS) WILLIAMS. He commenced to work in the mines in England in an early day, and in 1870 came to America and located at Buffalo, N. Y. After six months he came to Centralia and worked at the Hazel Dell colliery. One year later he worked at the "Excelsior" colliery, Northumberland County, Penn., and after another year returned to Centralia and took charge of the "Continental" colliery, where he remained one and a half years, and in the fall of 1876 accepted a similar position at the Hazel Dell colliery. After eight months there he returned to the "Continental" colliery and remained until taking charge of the "Centralia" and Hazel Dell collieries in September, 1881. He now has charge of both these collieries, which employ about 300 men and boys inside. Mr. WILLIAMS was married at Oakland, now in the borough of Ashland, on the 19th of February, 1874, to Miss Martha D. GOLDSWORTHY, a native of Devonshire, England, and daughter of James and Eliza GOLDSWORTHY, both of whom died in Centralia. Mr. and Mrs. WILLIAMS were the parents of three children, of whom two are living: Martha G. and James G. Mr. WILLIAMS is a member of the Odd Fellows Lodge at Centralia, No. 586.(History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, pg. 433)

Back to