From "The History of Columbia and Mountour Counties"
Battle, 1887
Chapter XII. (pages 75-118)

Danville - Part II

Back to
Part I


Some learned sociologist has concluded that the true measure of a people's degree of civilization is the amount of soap they used. The correctness of this depends. In many a pioneer settlement of 100 years ago so pinched were the people for every necessity of life, that the wild "bee trees" were hunted and the only make-shift possible for soap was to use honey; and the advance along the line of washing, not barring the pig-tailed Mr. Washee, is the use of gasoline now-a-days in washing the belle's kid gloves or her floating cloud-like snowy white or delicately tinted party dress. This honey at one end of the line, then the thousand substitutes in the middle and gasoline at the other extremity--there is no fair standard here to measure either our beauty, cleanliness or civilization. Then, too, where this soap philosopher expounded his discovery, the world was jogging contentedly along in much simplicity and dirt, and in total ignorance of what the near future had in store for their children's delectation and advancement. The little rill that is now the great swollen stream had just then started on its course too insignificant then to attract attention, while now in the language of the western poet when he, like DeSoto, first stood upon the bank of the Mississippi River, and his muse fired by the grandeur of the view exclaimed: "Great Father of Waters, so wide that you cannot hear its roar!" This poetical paradox well expresses the growth and extent of modern inventions and improvements in all the arts especially in the manufacture of iron, that now has reached that degree of perfection and magnitude that the soap sociologist, were he alive, would revise his philosophy and say that the true gauge is iron.

In Bucks County in this State those dear old Revolutionary fighting fathers got iron and made common balls to fire at the hated red coats. Perhaps just a little previously, some ingenious Yankee-Deutcher had succeeded in making a heating stove, or at least a kind of iron box to put fire in, perhaps the primitive idea of the old foot stove only a little changed and enlarged; and thus, making stoves to warm ourselves and cannon balls to warm the Hessians, commenced in this country the little rill that is now the stream "so great that you cannot hear its roar." The camping hunter had not then discovered for us the fact that the "black rock" would burn, but the discovery of coal as a fuel quickly followed the making of the first stove and the casting of those holy cannon balls, and at that very hour Fulton was brewing in his great brain the steamboat that in 1809 made its immortal trial trip on the Hudson. Then, too, Benjamin Franklin was flying his kites, himself, as he says, "holding the end of one string and another goose holding by its neck the other string," when the lightning, realizing its great master had come, playfully and in "sportive twists" ran down the wrong string and "liked to have killed the wrong goose." Thus, link by link the great chain was forged and welded from the outcropping iron ore that has made this the age of iron, the era of civilization--wonderful, incomparable! These are the true children of immortality. The thoughts and inventions of genius alone are immortal, they endure forever. Like the laws of nature their work goes on perpetually, ever increasing, ever growing, multiplying in compound ratio like the unseen drops of water and particles of gases in the bowels of the earth that ignite and produce the earthquake--self increasing, self perpetuating, casting their seeds in the minds of other men, encircling the globe, widening, deepening, strengthening forever. What are the stupid imaginings of the fabled gods? What the world's common accepted ideas of its great benefactors, great men, compared to these immortal inventors and thinkers? Place the fame and glory of Napoleon by the side of that nameless hunter who discovered the use of coal, then think of the agony, destruction and woe that came into this world with the great warrior, and remember what has come of the results of the simple hunter's observations about his lonely camp fire--how mean and horrible the one, how grand and great and good the other. The one only destroyed, the other created--the one was only evil, and like all evil things has passed away in its effects; the other was only good, and like all good, lives and grows through all time. When our schools and churches have time to look about them, to behold this vast sweep of growth of this century, it is to be hoped they will begin to impress upon the young and growing minds the heaven sent truth that generally the world's heroes and great men are but unspeakable shams and frauds--send them to the dust bins, spit upon them--the whole horde of humbugs and windbags! Away with them, with whips of scorpions pursued them and their miserable memories from the world!

The pioneer here in the production of iron was Mr. Bird PATTERSON. He built a charcoal furnace in 1838. It stood near where the Catawissa railroad now passes, just beyond the Mahoning steam mill. With the introduction of anthracite coal as a fuel in iron manufacture it was abandoned and eventually fell into ruin. This, in order to designate the different furnaces, was called "No. 1."

Montour Iron and Steel Works.--About 1840 CHAMBERS & BIDDLE built Nos. 2 and 3--the twin furnaces, and these were the first in the country that used anthracite coal. It is said that Benjamin PERRY was the leading spirit in the production of anthracite iron. Furnace No. 4 was built in 1845. These were the Montour Iron Company's works, for some time in their early history represented by the firm of MURDOCK, LEAVITT & Co., the firm consisting of U. A. MURDOCK, Edward LEAVITT, Jesse OAKLEY and David WETMORE. The superintendent was Henry BREVOORT. The rolling-mill was built in 1844. (A. G. VORIS was a general agent and builder, who was for many years connected with the works, as builder, purchasing material, selling iron and having renting of the dwellings in charge.) T. O. VanALLEN built the store-house, now known as the company store, in 1844, and conducted the store and the flouring-mill until about 1850 when he sold to CONELY, GROVE & Co. He was also resident agent for a time. The rolling-mill was completed in 1845 and here the first T rail was made. The U rail had been made before this date; but to Danville belongs the honor of having on the 8th of October, 1845, produced the first T rail that was ever made in this country--a rail that now connects the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans and checkered with iron roadways every civilized country in the world. In 1843 the furnaces were leased to Benjamin PERRY, Alexander GARRETSON, Cornelius GARRETSON and William JENNISON. Their contract was for two years. HARRIS was the manager at the rolling-mill in its first operation and was succeeded by M. S. RIDGEWAY, the manager at the present time. The foundry and machine shop was established by HEYWARD & SNYDER in 1839, but they were purchased by the company in 1852. From 1847 to 1849 the rolling-mill was operated by RIDGEWAY, VAN ALLEN, HEATH and STROH. The resident agent of the company at that time was Warren MURDOCK. He occupied the position until the advent of the GROVE Bros., about 1850 or 1851. Peter and John GROVE managed the works until 1857. During their regime the new mill was built, adding much to its extent and capacity, which is now 45,000 tons of iron rails per annum. In 1857 the entire works passed into the hands of I. S. WATERMAN, Thomas BEAVER, William NEAL and Washington LEE, as trustees for the creditors of the Montour Iron Company. They operated the works as trustees until 1859 when the entire interest in the whole concern was purchased by WATERMAN & BEAVER. They also purchased the real estate with all the franchises of the company, and changed the name to the Pennsylvania Iron works. They operated the works with great success and general satisfaction. In 1868 Thomas BEAVER, Dan MORGAN, C. MULLIGAN, George F. GEISINGER and Dan EDWARDS operated and shared the profits of the works. This combination was successful and continued until 1874. In 1876 Thomas BEAVER sold his interest to I. S. WATERMAN, retaining by purchase the mansion house on the hill, with twenty acres of ground.

In 1880 Mr. WATERMAN sold the plant to the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Company. The name of the works was then changed to Montour Iron and Steel Works, with W. E. C. COX, president; E. P. HOWE, manager, and S. W. INGESALL, treasurer. As some evidence of what the little first old charcoal furnace had grown into, it may be stated that the railroad paid $450,000 in cash for the entire plant. In its line of manufacture this was the pioneer establishment east of the Alleghenies, producing a superior rail that supplied roads in all parts of the country, extending to the Pacific Ocean. The excellent quality of block iron mined here, from its hardness, made a top for the rail that was a valuable desideratum, and commanded sales of all the works could produce. The size of the mail building, 343x290 feet; northeast wing, 116x89 feet; northwest wing, 116x60 feet; size of No. 2, 234x136 feet; wing, 28x67 feet; blacksmith-shop, 26x57 feet; brick-house, 39x31 feet; pump-house, 20x15 feet; oil-house, 32x32 feet. This structure contains 15 heating furnaces, 27 single puddling furnaces, 1 16-inch train of rolls and 2 trains of 20 inches. These rolls are driven by three large engines, combined, 700 horse-power. There is also a vertical engine which runs the squeezer, and one that runs the saws and machinery for punching and straightening the rails. A powerful vertical engine drives the fans for blasts for the heating furnaces, and pumps water; another supplies the blast for the puddling-mill, and pumps water for the boilers in the puddling furnaces, and this drives the machinery for cutting old rails for the heating furnaces preparatory to re-rolling. Puddling mill No. 2 is similarly constructed and contains 14 double puddling furnaces, 2 squeezers, 1 rotary, 1 crocodile and 1 train of 20-inch rolls. The rollers are driven by a Corliss engine of 100 horse-power. There are other appliances for the successful operation of the mills. M. S. RIDGEWAY is the superintendent. These give employment to about 1,000 men when in full operation, and can turn out 4,000 tons of rails, and have made as high as 200 tons of finished rails in a day. The blast furnaces have a capacity of 24,000 tons of pig iron per year. The blast is supplied by two engines of 400 horse-power each, and employ 600 men in full operation. These are superintended by Daniel MORGAN. The foundry and machine shops are superintended by F. H. VARMEN. They consist of a building 40x75 feet, two stories, the upper floor occupied for pattern rooms. These are filled with all the machinery for making steam-engines, locomotives, etc., and give employment, when in full work, to seventy-five men. The foundry is 60x90 feet, and, provided with a cupola capable of making a casting weighing ten tons, also with air furnaces, core oven, cranes, etc. Here sixty-five men can be employed, and can turn out about 200 tons of castings per month. The boiler shop is 60x70 feet.

These are of the iron works proper and rank among the largest iron works in the world owned by private capital. The company owns extensive ore mines, 2,000 acres of land which are connected with the furnaces by a narrow gauge railroad about seven miles in length, equipped with engines and rolling stock, with a branch road to their limestone quarry. In the mining of their ore and quarrying rock they give employment to 150 men. The company put up about 300 dwellings, a large grist-mill and a general store. At Kingston, on the L. & B. Railroad, sixty miles from Danville, the company purchased a valuable coal property.

Grove's Furnace.--Among the best known of the furnaces in the State these have long ranked in the front. They are cold and idle now and have been for some years, standing there a mute monument to the skill and executive ability of the GROVE Brothers, as among the early and successful manufacturers of pig-iron in Pennsylvania. These furnaces are on Mahoning Street, are solidly built and furnished with every modern appliance for the effective fulfillment of the purpose for which they were built. The first furnace was put up in 1840, and the additional stack was built in 1859-50. the blast for both furnaces is supplied by a 400-horse power engine. They gave employment to seventy-five men, and had a capacity of 12,000 tons per annum. The firm purchased coal mines above Pittston, on the Lackawanna & Baltimore Railroad; also ore lands about Danville, and in Huntingdon, Berks and Lancaster Counties in this State, and also in Virginia, Maryland and Canada.

The original brothers who came here and built up this great industry have passed away, leaving a large fortune to their heirs. Among other of the evidences of their great wealth is the extensive GROVE's residence, one of the most expensive private residences at the time of its building in the State. The present owners of the property are apparently content with what they have and are not anxious to add to their great worldly possessions.

The Co-operative Iron and Steel Works.--This is a joint stock company, chartered December 31, 1870, whose stockholders are largely interested as workmen in its mill. It is thus far a successful experiment in co-operative industry and is being watched with great interest throughout the country as an exponent of a principle somewhat novel, yet apparently founded on solid grounds of social economy. The company having purchased six acres of land adjoining the canal, and having $75,000 capital distributed among forty stock-holders, commenced the erection of their mill in April, 1871, and had it in operation by November 13 of the same year. The mill is constructed after the most approved plans, and its internal arrangements are very complete. It is 75x153 feet, and contains eight puddling furnaces-one train of eighteen inch rolls driven by an engine of 100 horse-power, one forty horse-power engine, "crocodile squeezer," etc. The company have a neat office building adjoining the works. The present officers are Perry DEEN, president; L. K. RISHEL, secretary and treasurer, and John GROVE, W. M. GEARHART, Samuel MILLS, D. L. SECHER, A. J. AMERMAN, L. K. RISHEL, Perry DEEN, J. C. RHODES, P. BALDY, Jr., D. M. REESE and E. J. CURTIS, directors. The company at present manufacture pig iron into puddle bar at their own mill, and have it manufactured into rails from sixteen to fifty pounds per yard. The erection of a rail-mill is contemplated. Value of product, per year, about $300,000. The company pay out as wages $4,000 per month, in cash, making nearly $50,000 per year put in circulation among the business men of Danville by their establishment alone.

Enterprise Foundry and Machine Works.--These works were established in 1873 by Messrs. CRUIKSHANK, MOYER & Co. The firm is composed entirely of practical men, who give their personal attention to every branch of the business. The establishment consists of a machine-shop, 45x50 feet, stocked with lathes, planers, bolt-cutters, etc., of approved patterns; foundry, 45x50 feet, containing a cupola of seven tons capacity, and a large crane capable of hoisting ten tons--this foundry can turn out castings of any desired weight or pattern; pattern-shop, 45-40 feet. The machine-ship is under the direct supervision of J. W. MOYER and Thomas CURRY, both members of the firm and practical machinists. The foundry is in charge of James CRUIKSHANK, a practical molder, also one of the firm. The office and business department is presided over by R. MOORE, the remaining partner. The firm manufacture steam engines, rolling-mill, blast furnace, saw and grist-mill machinery, railroad and bridge iron work of all kinds. The works are located on Ferry street, near the L. & B. Railroad.

Danville Iron Foundry.--The foundry was established in 1872. It is located in East Danville, and is 56x84 feet, solidly constructed, with slate roof. It contains a cupola capable of melting seven tons at one heat; core-oven, crane, etc. There is also a blacksmith-shop and pattern-shop attached, the latter under the charge of E. E. Brown, an experienced pattern-maker. The foundry turns out stoves, plows, agricultural implements, corn-planters, etc. Daniel DeLONG is the proprietor.

National Iron Foundry.--This foundry, near the Columbia furnaces, was originally built by Peter BALDY, Sr., about 1839, and was first operated by BELSON, WILLIAMS & GARDLEY. For some cause they failed and it passed into the hands of O'CONNOR & RICE. They also failed, and R. C. RUSSEL took charge of the work. After a brief period of time he sold to HANCOCK & CARR, who soon transferred it to John HIBLER. The several parties named conducted the establishment for twenty-five years. In 1854 Samuel HUBER, who had acted as foreman in the Eagle Foundry for a number of years, leased the National Iron Foundry and operated it until 1859, when it was totally destroyed by fire. In the spring of the same year he had taken Samuel BOUDMAN into partnership, and who after the fire abandoned the enterprise. But Mr. S. HUBER bought the ground of Mr. BALDY, rebuilt the foundry more complete than it had been before, and again embarked in the business, successfully conducting it alone, until the 1st of April, 1868, when his son, J. S. HUBER, became a partner under the firm of S. HUBER & Son. They carried on the business with entire satisfaction until the 19th of January, 1877, when C. C. HUBER, another son, was taken into the firm, and then it became S. HUBER & Sons. Subsequently W. H. HUBER, the third son, was also added to the firm, and so it remains to the present time.

Some years ago Mr. S. HUBER, the senior member of the firm, turned his attention to the construction of an improved plow, in which he was completely successful. His invention was patented and the HUBER plow, made at this foundry, is now a popular favorite over a wide region of country.

Glendower Iron Works occupies the ground of the old Rough and Ready Rolling-mill, and was originally built by Bird PATTERSON. In 1847 William HANCOCK and John FOLEY changed it into a rolling-mill for the manufacture of merchant-iron. In 1850 they converted it into a rail-mill, and then for the first time they met with great prosperity. After eight years of great success Mr. FOLEY retired, Mr. HANCOCK becoming sole proprietor in 1858. During the late war Mr. FOLEY re-entered the firm. In 1866 he again sold his interest to Mr. HANCOCK.

The first of the Danville furnaces was built in 1870 by HANCOCK & CREVELING. The second and larger furnace was subsequently erected. These furnaces were superintended by George W. MILES. The capacity of the Danville furnaces is 15,000 tons per annum.

In 1867 the National Iron Company was formed, superseding the Rough and Ready. Of this company William HANCOCK was president at first and afterward William PAINTER; P. C. BRINK, was vice-president and Benjamin G. WELCH was secretary, treasurer and general manager.

This organization continued until 1871, when the Danville furnaces were purchased. The new rolling-mill had been erected in 1870. George W. MILES continued the superintendence of the furnaces under the National Iron Company. John G. HILER was manager at the new rolling-mill, and Joseph H. SPRINGER at the old Rough and Ready rail-mill. In 1873, owing to large expenditures and heavy losses, the company was compelled to go into bankruptcy. After the works had lain idle some time they were purchased by the heirs of William HANCOCK, deceased, in 1874, under a mortgage sale; upon which the HANCOCK Iron & Steel Company was organized. Dr. J. D. GOSH was chosen president and B. G. WELCH, secretary, treasurer and general manager. This company existed only about six months, when the works were again idle until 1877, when they were leased by A. CREVELING, who operated them until June, 1879, when A. CREVELING and George W. MILES purchased the works--the old Rough and Ready property--John ROACH purchasing the part lying north of the canal. A. CREVELING and George MILES then organized the Glendower Iron Works, with A. CREVELING, president; H. LEVIS, treasurer, and George W. MILES, secretary and general manager. The capacity of the works is 20,000 tons.

The works were kept in successful operation, but quit making rails, and were devoted entirely to making what is called scalp iron. In the early part of September, 1886, the men organized a strike and the mills are now closed with no immediate prospects of opening again.

The Atlas Manufacturing Company was chartered in 1881, and commenced business in Espy, Penn. The first officers were James McCORMICK, president; W. J. McCORMICK, secretary and treasurer. In the spring of 1884 the works were brought to Danville, and the company leased VORIS, HAIGH & GREGG's planing-mill, going extensively into the manufacture of wood, household novelties and making a specialty of the "Atlas Step-ladder." The latter is now exported in quantities to Europe and Australia. We are told this is the largest factory for making this specialty in the world. The present officers are William ANGLE, president and manager, and F. C. ANGLE, secretary and treasurer.

Danville Nail and Manufacturing Company.--The works were erected and the machinery started in August, 1883. They are very complete in all their appointments for the purpose intended, namely the manufacture of muck bar nails and tack iron, with a capacity of 900 kegs of nails a day. When started there were fifteen nail machines; now there are eight machines, run to their full capacity, and by January 1, 1887, they had 100 of these machines running. The nail plates are heated by gas for making nails. The first electric light plant ever put up in Danville was used for lighting the works in this mill, and was used for the first time on Saturday, November 6, 1886. The officers are D. M. BOYD, president; R. M. GROVE, treasurer; W. C. FRICK, secretary and manager.

Chulasky Furnace.--These works are on the dividing line between Northumberland and Montour Counties. The offices and residences of T. J. MILES & Co., lessees, are all in Danville. These works were erected in 1846, by Samuel WOOD. There is one stack 42x11, with a capacity of 6,500 tons net per annum. They make soft gray forge pig iron. The works were started up after being some time idle, in November, 1886.

Danville Stove Works were chartered in 1882, and the works were in operation the same year. The organizers were the present officers: Henry VINCENT, president; James FOSTER, secretary W. J. BALDY, treasurer. At first the capacity of the works was eleven molders, and this was increased to a capacity of fifty-six molders. The company is now making preparations for a thirty-ton cupola and to double the present capacity. Forty-seven sizes and kinds of stoves are now made, and their trade is to all parts of the country.


Grove Presbyterian Church, once called the Mahoning Presbyterian Church, now the Grove Presbyterian Church, is the oldest religious organization in the county. It was built when this was called Mahoning settlement. The first preacher was Rev. John BRYSON, preaching at first in the dwelling of Gen. MONTGOMERY, and afterward, when the house was too small for the growing congregation, in the General's barn. The first log house church was built in 1778 or 1779. The logs were scored and hewn by George MAUS, Isaac BOUDNAM and Thomas HUGHES. This building was used in 1826, when a brick building of larger dimensions was erected. The congregation was organized in 1785. The earliest church records are not now to be found, which is regretted. But one single document has been preserved and that was a subscription paper; the names of the signers to this are given in Chapter II, this Part. In 1793 the salary of the preacher was fixed at L75, and the following parties signed a paper guaranteeing the sum to be paid. These names included the heads of certainly all the Presbyterians then here, and when we remember that at the first coming nearly every-one was a Calvinist, it may be assured that it was very nearly all then here: Joseph BIGGERS, Hugh CALDWELL, Thomas GASKINS, James STEPHENSON, William DONALDSON, John EMMETT, Sr., Robert DONALDSON, John DONALDSON, Joseph WILLIAMS, John WOODSIDE, George CALDWELL, John JONES, William COLT, John MONTGOMERY, Daniel BARTON, Christian CAMPBELL, Robert WILLIAMS, Alex. McMUNIGAL, William MONTGOMERY, Jr., John MOORE, Daniel MONTGOMERY, Robert MONTGOMERY, John CARR, James LOUGHEAD, Robert CAMPBELL, Thomas BEST, James CONSART, Gilbert VORHEES, James CURRY, Peter BLUE, Andrew COCHRAN, M. GULICK, Richard ROBINSON, Jacob GEARHART, Jr., Frederick BLUE, John EMMETT, Jr., John YOUNG, Elias HARRISON, Isaac WOODRUFF, Stephen HUNT, Albert AMMERMAN and Philip YOUNG. This congregation, as stated, was organized in 1785. Gen. William MONTGOMERY was chosen an elder at the same time, and continued an active and faithful officer until his death, which occurred in 1816.

The brick church built in 1826 was a neat and plain structure, presenting quite a picturesque appearance, embowered as it was in a grove of forest trees. The new church is a massive and handsome structure of artistic stone-work in the Gothic order of architecture, and was dedicated in 1875. It occupies the site of the old brick church on the Knoll, surrounded by the remaining forest trees and a grove of beautiful young maples that were planted to take place of the ancient oaks that are rapidly passing away. The building of this magnificent temple was superintended by Joseph DIEHL, a master mechanic and builder, whose handiwork is seen on many a public and private building in this region. As previously stated, Rev. BRYSON was the first pastor of Mahoning, now the Grove Presbyterian Church, and with the aid of the old pioneers he laid the foundation deep and strong for a lasting church, a religious home to bless the passing generations for centuries to come. Rev. PATTERSON was a worthy successor. His ministration was long and abundantly blessed. Rev. DUNLAP succeeded him in the pastorate of Mahoning Church, and he was followed by Rev. HALLIDAY.

Then came Rev. Dr. YOEMANS. He died in this place. During his pastorate, about 1849 or 1850, the question of a new church edifice was agitated. There was some division of sentiment in reference to its location. A portion favored the erection of the new church on the south side of the canal, and others adhered to the old site in the grove, now rendered doubly dear as the place where their fathers and mothers had worshiped. The former succeeded. A new church was built on Mahoning Street, and Rev. Dr. YOEMANS continued his ministry in the new church. the adherents to the Grove were without a regular pastor, as the organization, with the pastor, had gone with the new church. In 1855, however, presbytery organized a new congregation in the old church, and called it "Mahoning Presbyterian Church North." But this title was considered too cumbrous, and through the efforts of Rev. C. J. COLLINS and others it was changed to the more convenient and more euphonious name of "The Grove Presbyterian Congregation." Rev. C. J. COLLINS was the first pastor. He remained some ten years and resigned. He was succeeded by Rev. Dr. J. Gordon CARNACHAN. He left this place to take charge of a pastorate of the Grove Church, by Rev. Reuben H. Van PELT. Rev. W. A. McATEE was next called to the charge of the Grove Church. After his resignation Rev. John B. GRIER became the pastor, the youngest son of M. C. GRIER, who was long an elder in that church, and lately deceased. Among the families connected with the old church, and whose descendants still worship in the Grove, mention is made of the MONTGOMERYs, MAUS, CURRYs, YORKs, DIEHLs, GRIERs, McMAHANs, MAGILLs, WALTZes, CATCHCARTs, BOUDMANs, MOOREs, GEARHARTs, and RUSSELs. The Grove Church contains a large organ. The present pastor is Rev. J. M. SIMONTON.

The Mahoning Presbyterian Church was built in 1853, on Mahoning and Ferry Streets the congregation, as before stated, retaining the name and the organization of the original church. The building is handsome and well arranged. It is surmounted by a steeple containing a bell and a town clock. Some years ago a storm blew down the spire, which was never replaced. There is a fine memorial window in the rear of the pulpit, placed there by E. B. REYNOLDS, in memory of his mother, who had been a member of the congregation for many years. Rev. Dr. YOEMANS, who was the pastor in the old church, continued his ministrations in the new for a number of years, and died greatly lamented by the community, as well as the members of his own religious household. His reputation extended all over the country and his ability was acknowledged by making him Moderator of the General Assembly.

Rev. IJAMS succeeded to the pastorate of Mahoning Presbyterian Church after the death of Dr. YOEMANS. He was eloquent, and, withal, rather dramatic. Rev. IJAMS resigned, and Rev. A. B. JACK was called to the charge of Mahoning Presbyterian Church. After officiating for several years, he resigned. Rev. F. R. BEEBER succeeded him. Rev. R. L. STEWART then entered upon his work in this place and is the present efficient pastor.

Christ's Episcopal Church.--the corner-stone of the Protestant Episcopal Church was laid October 28, 1828. A few members of that church had held occasional meetings in their private dwellings, and then they worshiped a short time in the court-house, under the ministrations of Rev. James DEPEW, of Bloomsburg, who became their regular pastor as soon as the church was built. The lot on which the church and parsonage were built is on Market Street, now occupied by the present elegant stone edifice. This first building was of brick, 45x60 feet, and cost about $6,000. The following gentlemen composed the vestry at the period when the corner-stone was laid: Joseph MAUS, John REYNOLDS, Jacob SWISHER, Peter BALDY and Michael SANDERS, George A. FRICK and B. APPLEMAN, not one of whom was a communicant of the Evangelical Lutheran Church at that time. Mr. SANDERS adhered to the Lutherans subsequently, but Mr. BALDY became an Episcopalian. Some of the founders proposed to devote the new church building to the use of both the Lutherans and Episcopalians; but they soon discovered its impracticability, and all finally agreed that the church should be devoted to the exclusive use of the Protestant Episcopal service. On the 25th of October, 1829, just one year after the corner-stone was laid, the first communicants of the church, ten in number, were confirmed by the Rt. Rev. Henry W. ONDERDONK. Rev. James DEPEW labored faithfully among them, and under his pastoral charge the foundations of a permanent congregation were laid. He was last heard of in Nebraska. Rev. Mr. DRAKE, of Bloomsburg, supplied the pulpit occasionally after the departure of Rev. Mr. DEPEW. Rev. A. LAUDERBACK was the next rector. He remained for about five years. He at the same time had charge of the church at Sunbury. He removed to Iowa. The next in order was Rev. R. M. MITCHISON, who remained only about six months and was succeeded by Rev. Milton C. LIGHTNER, who assumed the charge in 1842. He officiated in Christ's Church for about seven years. He removed to Manayunk, and Rev. Mr. ELSEGOOD, formerly a minister in the Methodist denomination, took his place in Danville. At the end of two years Rev. Mr. ELSEGOOD removed to Easton and was succeeded here by Rev. Mr. PAGE, of New York, who also remained two years. In February, 1855, Rev. Edwin N. LIGHTNER, brother to Rev. Milton C. LIGHTNER, succeeded to the charge of Christ's Church, and continued its rector until May, 1870, when the loss of health compelled him to resign the charge. He ministered to the congregation about fifteen years. He resides in Riverside. In September, 1870, Rev. J. Milton PECK was called to the rectorship of Christ's Church. In 1845 some improvements were made in the church buildings, and in 1856 the congregation spent nearly $3,000 in improving and beautifying both the interior and the exterior of the building. Rev. Mr. PECK remained in charge until 1882, when he resigned and removed to Malden, Mass. His successor was Rev. George BREED, who ministered to the flock one year. He was succeeded by Rev. George C. HALL, who remained in charge from march, 1884, to January, 1886, when the present minister in charge, Rev. James L. MAXWELL, came and commenced his work April 2, 1886. The chief support of the church during all these years was Peter BALDY, Sr., one of the founders, who at the time of his death, in 1880, left to the congregation $50,000 to build a new church. The executor not only carried out the bequest, but gave such energy to the movement that the present splendid stone church was erected, costing about $100,000, and is much the costliest church edifice in Danville. Spacious and solid, it looms up grandly--its exterior showing outlines of graceful elegance, its interior richly and ornately finished.

Shiloh German Reformed Church.--The German Reformed congregation was organized in 1858, under the pastoral charge of Rev. D. W. WOLF. Services had been held in the court-house for some time, and the young congregation, composed of twenty members, was organized. In 1859 a new church was built on Bloom Street, though it remained unfinished for some years and was not dedicated until December 20, 1862. Rev. D. W. WOLF resigned in 1861, and on the 1st of may, 1862, Rev. J. W. STEINMETZ assumed the pastoral charge of the congregation. The church is of brick, 60x40 feet, with a pleasant basement. The congregation now numbers more than 200. Rev. J. W. STEINMETZ resigned the charge. He was succeeded by Rev. Mr. SHAFFER. the present pastor is Rev. J. A. PETERS.

St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church.--The precise period when the first Methodist preacher arrived at this place is not now known; but they were the second religious body organized here. The first regular conference appointment for Danville was in 1791. This place was then included in Northumberland Circuit, which extended from Northumberland up the North Branch of the Susquehanna to Wyoming Valley, and up the West Branch to Great Island. The distance traveled by the circuit rider in making his round was 300 miles, which was accomplished in six weeks. This territory for many years was supplied by only two or three ministers, and it included present circuits and stations of Williamsport, Newbury, Muncy, Milton Circuit and Station, Northumberland, Mifflinburg, Lewisburg, Catawissa, Bloomsburg, Berwick, Bloomingdale, Orangeville, Sunbury and parts of Bellefonte District. Previous to 1804 Danville and the circuit in which it was located belonged to the Philadelphia Conference. In that year it was transferred to the Baltimore Conference. In 1807 it was returned to the Philadelphia Conference. In 1810 it was included in the new Genessee Conference, and in 1820 it was re-assigned to the Baltimore Conference, of which it still continues to be an appointment.

In 1791, of the first preachers to minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Danville were Revs. Richard PARROTT and Lewis BROWNING.

Berwick Circuit was formed in 1831, but Danville was still in the Northumberland Circuit. Danville Circuit was formed in 1836 and embraced Montour, Bloomsburg and Orangeville Circuits.

In 1846 Danville was erected into a station, and then appointments were regularly made for this place as follows: 1846, John GUYER; 1847, Philip B. REESE; 1849, Thomas MITCHELL; 1850, Joseph FRANCE; 1853, James BRADS; 1855, Thomas M. REESE; 1856, J. WILSON; 1857-58, William HARDEN; 1859-60, B. B. HAMLIN; 1861-63, J. H. C. DOSH; 1864-65, A. M. BARNITZ; 1866-67, J. McK. REILEY; 1868-71, F. HODGSON; 1872-73, S. CREIGHTON; 1874-75, F. B. RIDDLE; 1876-78, W. A. HAUCK; 1879-80, J. MAX LANTZ. Rev. Richard HINKLE is the present pastor.

Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church.--This church was built north of the canal to accommodate that portion of the congregation which was becoming too large for the one church building. The lot was purchased on Centre and Ferry Streets, opposite the Catholic Church. Capt. LOVETT and M. S. RIDGEWAY, though not members, were the most active and the largest contributors in erecting the building. Then Thomas BEAVER contributed several thousand dollars. A building was put up costing about $30,000. It was so deeply in debt that it was sold at sheriff's sale, and Mr. BEAVER became the purchaser for $8,000. Rev. I. H. TORRENCE purchased one-half of Thomas BEAVER's interest for $4,000. Mr. BEAVER then donated his other half to the church; afterward it was sold again and Rev. TORRENCE, to protect himself, became the sole owner and continued to give the free use thereof to the congregation.

Rev. McCORD was the first minister; succeeded by Rev. VanFOSSEN, who afterward studied law and became a practicing lawyer in Colorado. Rev. J. P. MOORE was then in charge; he was succeeded by Rev. STEPHENSON and he by Rev. STRAWINSKI. Then Rev. KING ministered to the congregation. The present pastor is Rev. James HUNTER.

PRIMITIVE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH.--This is a substantial brick building; was erected in 1848; no stationed pastor at the present time.

Baptist Church.--Baptist Church of Danville, was organized on the 13th of November, 1842. The meetings were held in the court-house for about a year subsequent to the organization, during which period a frame church was built on Pine Street, not far from the river. It was dedicated on the 5th of January, 1844. In 1863 it was removed to give place to the new brick church, which is a large and elegant building. As near as can be ascertained, the pastors in their regular order of service, were Revs. J. S. MILLER, W. T. BUNKER, John H. WORRALL, A. D. NICHOLS, Ira FOSTER, O. L. HALL, A. B. STILL, T. JONES, G. W. SCOTT, I. C. WINN, John S. MILLER (the second time), J. John MOSTYN, J. E. BRADLEY, ____ SWEET. The present pastor is Rev. Green MILES.

Evangelical Lutheran Church.--Their present brick building was erected in 1858, on Pine Street.

The oldest Lutheran Church organization in this portion of the State was in Mahoning township; its home in that day was in what was called Ridgeville. A minister named SHELHART visited this place prior to 1800. The record of the organization is dated 1803 and the first regular pastor was Rev. Johann Paul Ferdinand KRAMER. The record shows he was present two years. In 1810 Rev. J. F. ENGLE was in charge. He remained until April, 1816. Then there was no pastor until 1820. The next eight years Rev. Peter KELSER was in charge. The Lutherans joined with the Episcopalians in building a church, but this joint ownership soon ceased and the congregation returned to their worship in the court-house. About 1830 Rev. Jeremiah SHINDEL preached. He remained five or six years. they were without a pastor until 1843, when Rev. Elias SCHWARTZ assumed charge. At this time the membership was reduced to twenty. Mr. SCHWARTZ pushed the work so vigorously that at a meeting he received into the church between forty and fifty new members. Soon thereafter they commenced to build a church. The first was built and dedicated in June, 1845, but this involved them in debt and Rev. SCHWARTZ resigned. It was then attached to the Milton charge. Rev. M. J. ALLEN then became pastor and served until 1848; no pastor for the next two years, when Rev. P. WILLARD, of Gettysburg, came. Number of members in 1850 was 142. A lot was this year purchased for a cemetery, and in 1853 a parsonage was purchased. In 1854 the church was too small and the subject of a new site roused up some warm contentions that ended by the German portion going to themselves, and Rev. P. WILLIARD was dismissed. In 1856 Rev. J. M. STOVER came. He threw oil on the waters, it seems, and the new church was finally built as above stated. He was succeeded by Rev. E. HUBERT; he by P. P. LANE, who remained two years, when Rev. E. A. SHARETTS assumed charge. The REV. N. GRAVES, who stayed two years, when Rev. M. L. SHINDELL, the present pastor, took charge.

Trinity Lutheran Church was built in 1861 the congregation being formed from the old church. It is a large and elegant building, originally finished with a tall spire, which was blown down by a storm and never rebuilt. There are nearly 300 communicants. The first pastor was Rev. D. M. HENKEL, succeeded by Rev. M. C. HORINE; present pastor is Rev. C. K. DRUMHELLER.

Congregation B' Nai Zion, was chartered November 1, 1854. their frame building on front Street is 30x60 feet, and was built in 1871. Jacob LOEB, president; H. L. GROSS, secretary; trustees, Jacob MAYER, Moses BLOCK, A. WERMSER. They have no resident rabbi.

Emanuel Evangelical Church.--Mission was established in Danville in 1860, by Rev. M. STOKES; he preached some time in Thompson's Hall. Afterward Rev. DAVIS succeeded to the charge. A congregation was organized and a frame church built in 1869. The two ministers succeeding Mr. DAVIS were Revs. DETWILER and BUCK. Then came Rev. RADEBAUGH, then Rev. ORWIG and again Mr. RADEBAUGH; then Rev. HUNTER and finally Rev. HORNBERGER. The last named published the Temperance Star.

St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church is a German Lutheran Church on Market Street. It is a small brick structure, with a fair attendance of members, and a good Sunday-school. The present pastor is Rev. J. R. GROFF.

Welsh Churches.--Congregational Church, Chambers Street, is a brick edifice built in 1835.
Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church, near Catawissa Railroad, was built in 1845.

African Methodist Episcopal Church on York's Hill has no parlor.

Roman Catholic Churches.--St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church is on corner of Centre and Ferry Streets. This church has sprung from a mission begun by the Rev. J. P. HANNIGAN, in 1847, when the frame church now used as a hall for church and church society meetings was built. In September, 1857, the lot upon which the present church is built was purchased, but the building was not commenced until 1866, and was finished in 1869. It is of brick, 61x117 feet, with tower 170 feet high, surmounted by a cross. The style of architecture is Romanesque. the number of communicants is 2,200. There is a Sunday-school with 400 scholars, superintended by the pastor. The value of church property is $75,000. The pastors have been Revs. J. P. HANNIGAN, Joseph O'KEEFE, Hugh P. KENNEY, Michael SHERIDAN, Edward MURRAY, Arthur McGINNIS (died while pastor), and Thomas McGOVERN, the present pastor.

St. Hubert's Catholic Church (German), Bloom Street, built in 1862, is a neat, brick edifice. Rev. F. X. SCHMIDT is the pastor; number of communicants, 700. The Sunday-school, superintended by the pastor, contains eighty scholars. Value of church property, $10,000. Revs. FROESCH, KOCH and SCHMIDT, the present pastor, constitute the pastoral succession of this church since its organization.


Free and Accepted Masons.--Danville Lodge, No. 224, chartered in 1847. The officers are T. E. ELLIS, W. M.; Jared N. DIEHL, S. W.; Francis M. GOTWOLD, J. W.; M. L. FISHER, Sec; David RUCKLE, Treas.

Mahoning Lodge, No. 516, chartered September, 1872. Officers: John W. FARNSWORTH, W. M.; George MAIERS, S. W.; Samuel RUSSELL, J. W.; N. HOFER, treas.; Alexander J. FRICK, Sec.

Danville Chapter, No. 239, R. A. M., organized in may, 1872. M. E. H. P., John W. FARNSWORTH; K., A. STEINBRENNER; S., David RUCKEL; Treas., David CLARK; Sec., Alexander J. FRICK.

Cavalry Commandery, No. 37, K. T.: E. C., John W. FARNSWORTH; G., David H. GETZ; C. G., Elliott R. MORGAN; Treas., D. S. BLOOM; Rec., A. J. FRICK. The commandery was removed from Catawissa to Danville in 1874.

Independent Order Red Men.--Mahoning Tribe, No. 77, was organized in 1867, with thirty-seven charter members. Officers: Sachem, Charles CHALFANT; Senior Sagamore, Henry SNYDER; Jr. S., John F. GULIC; Prophet, C. C. HERR; C. of R., Reece EVANS; Treas., S. G. THOMPSON.

Knights of Pythias.--Blucher Lodge, No. 314, was organized September 1, 1872. The officers are George HARTLEIN, C. C; A STEINBRENNER, K. of R. and S.; John JACOBS, Treas. There are thirty-three members in the order. The first officers of the organization were Nicholas HOFER, C. C.; A. STEINBRENNER, K. of R. and S.; John JACOBS, Treas.

Beaver Lodge, No. 132, was organized in 1869. The officers are Charles J. GROVE, P. C.; Samuel T. JACKSON, C. C.; Evan BEAVER, B. C.; W. WILLIAMS, P.; William SMITH, M. at A.

Independent Order of Odd Fellows.--Montour Lodge, No. 109, organized April, 1845. Number of present membership is eighty-five. The officers are D. M. SHULTZ, N. G.; Charles C. RAUCH, V. G.; J. SWEISFORT, Sec.; Philip WELLIVER, Asst. Sec.; W. H. AMMERMAN, Treas.

Calumet Lodge, No. 279, number of members 106. E. LEWIS, N. G.; Andrew HEATH, V. G.; D. R. WILLIAMS, Sec; Abram LAREW, Asst. Sec.; Henry EARP, Treas.

Danville Lodge: Charles CHALFANT, N. G.; Clarence RANK, V. G.; Reece EVANS, Sec.; B. H. HARRIS, Asst. Sec.; Henry HERRING, Treas.

Celestia Lodge, No. 67, D. of R., chartered September 5, 1872, fifty members: Henry EARP, N. G.; Mrs. Jacob HARRIS, V. G.; J. SWEISFORT, Sec.; Mrs. Sarah EVANS, Asst. Sec.; Mrs. J. P. BARE, Treas.

Myrtle Lodge, No. 858, Philip SMITH, N. G.; David Chesnut V. G.; M. W. SMITH, Sec.; Mr. SWANK, Asst. Sec.; George MILES, Treas.; J. W. SWEISFORT, Dist. Deputy.

Menoloton Encampment, No. 40, chartered August 7, 1856, number of members thirty-seven. W. B. BALDY, C. P.; Charles CHALFANT, H. P.; Angus WRIGHT, S. W.; John BUGLER, J. W.; J. A. FAUX, S.; S. M. TRUMBOWER, Treas.

[The I. O. O. F. Cemetery Company, of Danville, was chartered in 1873 and fully organized in January, 1874, the grounds secured at a cost of $3,000 and at once put in good order. Nine trustees are elected every three years. Present ones are as follows: from Montour Lodge, D. L. ANTRIM, J. SWEISFORT and S. M. TRUMBOWER; from Calumet Lodge, Jacob HARRIS, George A. BROWN and James WOODSIDES; from Danville Lodge, Reece EVANS and J. P. BARE. The officers are President, G. A. BROWN; V. P., J. P. BARE; Sec., J. W. SWIESFORT; Treas. D. L. ANTRIM. The first interment in this cemetery was William JAMES, September 1, 1873. He was killed by an explosion in the Montour Iron Works.]

Grand Army of the Republic.--Goodrich Post, No. 22, of Danville, named in honor of Lieut. M. B. GOODRICH, who died of wounds received in the battle of the Wilderness. As early as 1867 the returned soldiers formed themselves into a brotherly band called the Boys in Blue. In June, 1870, this organization became the Danville Grand Army of the Republic. This organization was kept effective until June, 1873, when it was disbanded. April 22, 1879, it was reorganized and its charter bears that date. The following were the officers elected at that time: Com., James M. GIBBS; Sr. V. C., A. B. PATTON; Jr. V. C., Joseph H. JOHNSON; Sergt., Charles WOOD; Officer of the Day, Benton B. BROWN; Officer of Guard, George S. TILLSON; Chaplain, Robert MILLER; Q. M., W. C. DAVIS. Charter members: S. M. WAIT, Samuel HERR, Robert G. MILLER, Samuel R. LUNGER, Joseph H. JOHNSON, Samuel C. RUNYON, George TILLSON, Alfred L. GERRICK, Jonas FOSTER, William WYATT, J. M. GIBBS, A. B. PATTON, W. L. JONES, Alex J. RAINER, W. C. DAVIS, Levi M. MILLER, Lewis BYERLY, W. H. ROOK, P. H. SHERIDAN, Thomas M. THOMAS, Peter MOYER, Jonathan SWEISFORT, William GOOD, Alexander WAIT, Joseph H. RAMSEY, John W. W. KLASE, Robert FIELDS, James JONES, John McELRATH, Michael SHIRES, A. C. ANGLE, Benton B. BROWN, H. C. SNYDER, Jacob SLACK, Thomas V. PENSYL, William HENRY, John MOORE, Samuel THOMAS, Edward D. SMITH, John A. WEIMER, Michael RILEY, John RILEY, John MARSHALL, John KIME, Alex J. HOFFNER, Charles SPICER, Charles WOODS, Arthur W. BEAVER, Samuel BAILEY, H. F. FREEZE, George C. WILLIAMS, William EARP, John EVERETT. Present officers: A. B. PATTON, Com.; George GARDNER, V. C.; R. W. EGGERT, Jr. V. C.; Michael SHIRES, CHAMPLAIN; A. C. ANGLE, Officer of the Day; F. E. HILDERBRANDT, Officer of the Guard; W. G. KRAMER, Sergt. Major.; W. T. WYATT, Outside Guard; Samuel LUNGER, Inside Guard; Lyman MILROY, Ord. Sergt. Present membership, 164; society in every way prosperous.

B' Nai Berith.--Herman Lodge, No. 32, I. O. B. B., organized in 1857; number of membership, twenty-nine. Gustave WEIL, Pres,; Joseph WERMSER, V. P.; A. LANG, Sec.; W. L. GROSS, Treas.

Young Men's Christian Association was organized in the Mahoning Presbyterian Church on the 21st of June, 1872. The officers elected were President, S. G. BUTLER; vice-president, John SWEISFORT; Secretary, John R. ROTE, and librarian, H. H. YORGY. The managers first chosen were James M. COULTER, William McCORMICK, C. F. LLOYD, J. SWEISFORT and C. P. BRADWAY. The organization at present is as follows: President, James M. COULTER; vice-president, J. S. HUBER; secretary, George SWARTZ; treasurer, George M. GEARHART; general secretary, D. C. HUNT; financial secretary, H. H. YORGY. The association numbers eighty-one members.


Thomas BEAVER Free Library, now (October, 1886) in the course of construction, is the contribution of its namesake, Thomas BEAVER, and when completed and furnished will be the most attractive public building in the county. Its fronting is 48 feet on Market Street and 78 feet on Ferry Street, standing back from either street 10 feet, for lawn. The front recedes 5 feet from each side of the main entrance, the first floor elevated 4 feet above the pavement. The massive base and broken outline give its three tall stories an imposing appearance. The whole is of light gray stone, with granite trimmings, and Scotch granite columns. Stone newels and marble tiling flooring is an index of the inside finish. The internal arrangements and rooms are spacious and arranged in perfect order for the intended purposes. In the rear of this, as an annex, is that portion of the building donated to the Young Men's Christian Association. This occupies 70 feet on Ferry Street; the main building to be 38 feet front on Ferry Street and 64 feet deep, all especially arranged and finished for the uses of this organization, the basement with bath rooms, lavatory, lockers, dressing rooms, boiler room and gymnasium. It has main entrance, vestibule hall, members' parlor, secretary and committee rooms, and instruction room and entrance to gymnasium, etc. The lecture room is to have a seating capacity of 400; the exterior to be the same stone and finish as the library. The total frontage on Ferry Street is 150 feet.

Mr. BEAVER provides for the completion of the entire building, and for the endowment of the library, and furnishes a library costing $10,000. The property is placed when completed in the hands of trustees, with perpetual succession, the first trustees, three of whom are named by Mr. BEAVER and then one from each and every church organization (including the Synagogue) in Danville, to be selected and chosen by the different organizations.
The entire amount of money it will require to compete the donation can not be exactly told now, but Mr. BEAVER supposes it will be about $100,000.


With the growth of the town and its factories came the important question of a supply of good water. The subject received general consideration as early as 1867 and the more it was discussed the more determined became those citizens of spirit and enterprise to devise some way to meet the long felt want. The water in the town wells, found at a depth of twenty to twenty-five feet, or at the strata of rock forming the river bed, which was never first rate, was growing positively bad. In 1871 the Danville Water Company was formed, but it seems it ceased to live after its formal organization. A committee was appointed in 1872 consisting of George W. REAY, J. W. SWEISFORT, William BUCKLEY, and M. D. L. SECHLER, which visited several cities for the purpose of investigating fully the subject. Upon their recommendation the present place was adopted and the water works constructed, the Holly Company's system being deemed the best and cheapest. The works are located on the bank of the river just below the bridge, a filter is constructed some distance in the river and the water forced by powerful engines through the pipes to all parts of the city, there being nearly twelve miles of water mains, costing about $100,000; the engines and pumps costing $36,000. The works give entire satisfaction in their operation and such is their capacity and facilities that upon a few moments' notice they can increase the force of the water sufficiently to drown almost any conflagration that might occur.


The Danville postoffice was established in 1806, about a quarter of a century after people had settled here, and who could during all that time, only send or receive letters from friends or upon business as they were carried by the chance traveler from place to place. To us now it seems a long time between mails-twenty-five years- but these good people struggled along well content if heaven only spared their lives. When in a long time the mail did come, the postage on a letter was 25 cents, and very aged people can tell you of instances where a family would be notified there was a letter for them, and the postage not being paid, they would sorely troubled for many days to raise the money to secure it.

Gen. William MONTGOMERY was the first postmaster in Danville. When he resigned, his son Daniel succeeded him. They together kept the office until 1813, when Rudolph SECHLER was appointed April 3, of that year. The latter continued in office until James LOUGHEAD was appointed November 24, 1820, who held the office fourteen years, when David PETRIKIN was appointed February 1, 1834. He was succeeded by John BEST, march 21, 1837, who served until the appointment of Sharpless TAYLOR march 25, 1841. The next was Alexander BEST, appointed November 9, 1842. Gideon M. SHOOP was appointed April 11, 1849, and served until November 26, 1852, when Thomas C. ELLIS was appointed; he was succeeded September 1, 1853, by Thomas CHALFANT. During his term in 1856 the Danville postoffice became a presidential office, and Mr. CHALFANT was reappointed, February 21, 1856, and served until May 28, 1861, and was succeeded by Andrew F. RUSSELL; the latter was reappointed July 14, 1865, and served until Ogden H. OSTRANDER was appointed April 16, 1867, who served two years. Charles E. ECKMAN was appointed April 5, 1869, and reappointed March 18, 1873, and again reappointed April 7, 1877. Mr. ECKMAN continued in office until a Democratic president, Cleveland, was inaugurated, when he resigned the place he had filled so long and so well and removed to Reading. He was succeeded by Thomas CHALFANT, who it seems had simply stepped down and out during the Democratic interregnum, but who returned to office with his party to power, and is now filling the position to the entire satisfaction of the community.


By an act of the Legislature Danville was organized as a borough on the 7th of February, 1849.

The first burgess was Dr. Wm. H. MAGILL. The first town council, composed of five members, as follows: George S. SANDERS, George BASSETT, Valentine BEST, Frank E. ROUCH and E. H. BALDY. The first council meeting was held in the office of E. H. BALDY, and the first business transacted was the election of him as clerk of the council. Edward YOUNG was chosen street commissioner at a salary of $20 a year; Thomas JAMESON, constable. On the 22d of may, in that year, the first dog tax was levied in the borough of Danville. The Friendship Fire Company represented to the council that the hose was old and rotten, and requested 700 feet of new hose, which was ordered.

A contract was also made with James F. DEEN for an engine capable of supplying the Friendship Hose Company. The price was to be $800. It was constructed and ordered to be given in charge of the company. At this period the fire apparatus came under the general direction of the borough.

On the 24th of December, 1849, the council passed a resolution making application to the State Legislature for the erection of a new county, to be called Montour, with the county seat at Danville. It was also resolved to furnish the new county with necessary buildings.

On the 29th of March, 1850, a new council was organized. Dr. W. H. MAGILL was rechosen as burgess and Valentine BEST as a member of the council. The new members were Dr. Isaac HUGHES, George B. BROWN, Thomas WOODS and William MORGAN. Valentine BEST was chosen clerk, and M. C. GRIER was elected treasurer.

Edward YOUNG was the tax collector for 1850.

On the 4th of April, 1851, the council met for organization. At the previous March election Thomas CHALFANT had been chosen burgess, and the following returned and took their seats as members of the council: James F. DEEN, John ROCKAFELLER, J. C. RHODES and A. F. RUSSEL. William CLARK was appointed high constable, and B. W. WAPPLES, street commissioner.

In the spring of 1852 Thomas JAMESON was elected burgess, with the following council: George S. SANDERS, John DEEN, Jr., G. W. BOYER, and George W. BRYAN. The latter was chosen clerk. In this year Sydney S. EASTON filled up Northumberland Street.

In 1853 Joseph D. HAHN was elected burgess; council, Daniel RAMSEY, P. HOFER, David JONES and James GASKINS; William G. GASKINS, clerk.

Robert MOORE was chosen burgess in 1854; council, John DEEN, Jr., John TURNER, William HANCOCK, James G. MAXWELL and Robert McCOY.

In 1855 William HENRIE, burgess; council, Smith B. THOMPSON, David JONES, Isaiah S. THORNTON, Frank E. ROUCH, Isaac AMMERMAN. A census was also ordered by the council, under which the inhabitants were enumerated, and the same was reported at the close of the year. Population, 5,427.

1856--David CLARK, burgess; council, Jacob SECHLER, John BEST, John ARMS, William MOWRER and Paul LEIDY, Esq.

1857--Jacob SEIDEL was chosen burgess; council, Jacob SECHLER, Charles LEIGHOW, Joseph R. PHILIPS, Samuel HAMOR and John PATTON.

1858--Dr. Clarence H. FRICK, burgess; council, William MOWRER, David JONES, Gideon BOYER, George S. SANDERS and Frederick LAMMERS.

1859--Christian LAUBACH, burgess; council, D. N. KOWNOVER, Joseph DIEHL, B. K. VASTINE, D. M. BOYD and William COOK.

1860--J. C. RHODES, burgess; council, William COOK, W. G. PATTON, B. K. VASTINE, Emanuel HOUPT and Michael C. GRIER.

1861--E. C. VORIS, burgess; council, Reuben VORIS, David JAMES, Joseph FLANEGAN, William MORGAN and D. M. BOYD.

1862--Isaac RANK, burgess; council, Jacob ATEN, William MOWRER, Charles W. CHILDS, David GROVE and James L. RIEHL.

1863--B. K. VASTINE, burgess; council, James L. RIEHL, William TWIST, William LEWIS, John G. HILER and John ROCKAFELLER.

1864--E. W. CONKLING, burgess; council, James L. RIEHL, John G. HILER, Joseph DIEHL, C. LAUBACH and William LEWIS.

1865--John G. THOMPSON, burgess; council, Henry HARRIS, Dan MORGAN, D. DeLONG, William HENRIE and Jacob ATEN.

1866--Dr. R. S. SIMINGTON, burgess; council, Dan MORGAN, Francis NAYLOR, D. DeLONG, William HENRIE and Charles H. WATERS.

1867--George BASSETT, burgess. [Previous to the election the borough had been divided into four wards, the First, Second, Third and Fourth. Before that time there had been two wards, the South and the North, with five members of council, each elected for one year. The change provided for four wards and twelve councilmen, three from each ward, one-third of them to serve one year, one-third two years and the other three years, and also providing for the election of one councilman each year from each ward]. Council, James CORNELISON, John A. WINNER, C. W. CHILDS, William HENRIE, David CLARK, James KELLY, Samuel LEWIS, M. D. L. SECHLER, Joseph SECHLER, Thompson FOSTER, John G. THOMPSON and E. THOMPSON.

1868--Robert McCOY, burgess; new members of council, James L. RIEHL, C. S. BOOKS, George W. REAY and David GROVE.

1869--A. J. AMMERMAN, burgess; new members of council, William HENRIE, J. S. VASTINE, John R. LUNGER and Franklin BOYER.

1870--D. S. BLOOM, burgess; council, William BUCKLEY, Hickman FRAME, M. D. L. SECHLER and Samuel LEWIS.

1871--Thomas MAXWELL, burgess; with new councilmen, H. M. SCHOCH, G. W. MILES, George LOVETT and Jacob SWEISFORT.

1872--Oscar EPHLIN, burgess; new members of council, George W. REAY, Henry VINCENT, Jacob SCHUSTER and J. L. RIEHL.

1873--Edward YOUNG, burgess; councilmen, William BUCKLEY, N. HOFER, Joseph W. KEELY and Thomas COXEY.

1874--J. R. PHILIPS, burgess; new councilmen, James VANDLING, James AULD, W. D. WILLIAMS and David CLARK.

1875--Charles KAUFMAN, burgess; new members of council, M. D. L. SECHLER, William T. RAMSEY, J. R. PHILIPS and J. W. Von NIEDA.

1876--Henry M. SCHOCH was elected burgess; new councilmen, J. D. WILLIAMS, David RUCKLE, Wm. K. HOLLOWAY and William R. WILLIAMS. Isaac AMMERMAN was elected at a special election to fill the vacancy occasioned by the resignation of James AULD, who had been chosen county commissioner.

1877--William C. WALKER, burgess; new councilmen, David CLARK, C. A. HEATH, A. B. PATTON and John A. WANDS.

1878--James FOSTER, burgess; new councilmen, J. W. KEELY, Stephen JOHNSON, James WELSH and Thompson FOSTER.

1879--Jas. FOSTER, burgess; new councilmen, William ANGLE one year; P. JOHNSON three years, and S. TRUMBOWER, Jacob GOLDSMITH, H. B. STRICKLAND and Lewis RODENHOFER one year.

1880--Joseph HUNTER, burgess; new councilmen, Wm. ANGLE, Wm. KEINER, Hugh PURSEL, Nicholas HOFER.

1881--Joseph HUNTER re-elected burgess; new councilmen, A. G. VORIS, -- P. KEEFER, Henry L. GROSS, Jas WELSH. William G. GASKINS was clerk to the council for twenty years and was succeeded by Capt. George LOVETT in 1874. In 1879 J. SWEISTORT was chosen clerk and he was succeeded by Charles M. ZUBER. Among the street commissioners were Emanual PETERS, Daniel McCLOW, William C. WALKER, Oliver LENHART and Mr. FAUX. The street commissioner is also ex officio collector of the market tax, and presumedly a sort of inspector of that institution.

1882--Joseph HUNTER, burgess; new councilmen, B. R. GEARHART, I. A. YORKS, D. B. FETTERMAN, F. C. DERR.

1883--S. G. THOMPSON, burgess; councilmen, J. K. GERINGER, Hugh PURSEL, Henry DIVEL, David GROVE.

1884--S. G. THOMPSON, burgess; councilmen, H. M. TRUMBOWER, J. H. MONTAGUE, W. K. HOLLOWAY, H. A. KNEIBLER.

1885--Joseph HUNTER, burgess, councilmen, Jacob MOYER, George EDMONSON, George MAIERS, Edward HOFER.

1886--Joseph HUNTER, burgess; councilmen, John W. SHERIFF, W. C. WALKER, Henry L. GROSS, S. A. YORKS.

Clerk of the town council, Adolf STEINBRENNER; attorney, James SCARLET; treasurer, Geo. P. BROWN; surveyor, Geo. W. WEST; high constable, Dan LOW; street commissioner, J. R. PHILIPS; chief of fire department, W. W. DAVIS; chief police, W. S. BAKER.

Officers of the water department are Swartz MILLER, superintendent; receiver of rents, Adolf STEINBRENNER; water commissioners, James CRUIKSHANK, Joseph H. BARRY, John W. FARNSWORTH.

Back to
Danville - Part I


Back to